Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Twilight Princess was a successful, if slightly contentious, entry in the Legend of Zelda franchise, released in 2006 on the Wii and GameCube.
In many ways a rough reimagining of Ocarina of Time, the game takes the base framework of that game, adds a wolf a'la Okami, a world of darkness a'la A Link to the Past and Metroid Prime 2, and the best Zelda companion in Midna (at least as far as being a character with an arc). The game is also in some ways a response to the knee-jerk negative reaction to Wind Waker's cartoon aesthetic, going for a more realistic but darker look that alternates between creatively beautiful and puzzlingly ugly. Development was infamously long with multiple delays, and the final result, while a good game, can't hide the cracks from its troubled creation.

Since its release in 2006, opinions have shifted from widespread praise to mild disappointment to rediscovered appreciation, particularly with the 2016 HD remaster on the Wii U giving the game a tasteful facelift, performance boost, and de-blooming. I too loved the game upon release, but its flaws stick out to me more as time passes.

Similarly, a lot of people liked my old Let's Play of the Wii original from 2012, but it's always been a disappointment and a failure for me, even back when I still had a lovely sense of humor. So when TPHD was announced, I knew I wanted to give my old LP another go. It's taken literally 5 years for us to get there (started recording footage in 2016, commentary in 2019), but at long last, the LP is here.

--------------------------------------

The Story
A corrupt curtain of darkness called the Twilight descends upon Hyrule. A simple farmboy named Link HamHarry, with the help of a snarky little imp named Midna and his trusty horse Epona Sandwich, must push back the growing wall of darkness, find the Fused Shadow artifacts, and defeat the evil Usurper King Zant. Along the way, sniff and bite a lot of things and don't get fleas.

The LP
This is a 100% LP where I will be getting all collectibles and showing off as much miscellaneous stuff as I can. It'll be essentially everything I showed off in the original LP plus the additions made for the HD version like the Cave of Shadows and the stamps.
I'm joined on co-commentary by Mugiwara Yoshi and JigglyJacob. Unlike the original, there will only be one version of each video where commentary plays over cutscenes.
Note: we recorded parts 1-5 from 2019-2020; part 6 onward was recorded in 2021, after I came out publicly as a transwoman, so my voice may suddenly start sounding different.

--------------------------------------

------------------

Fanart

(By Sonicfiend)

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
Nice! Twilight Princess is my second favorite Zelda game after BotW (because the Wii was my first console and TP was the first Zelda I ever played), so I'm looking forward to this.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'll echo the comments made in the second video about the game's soundtrack being a disappointment overall, even back when I first played it on Gamecube I always felt that something just felt off about it, it just sounded so hollow and flat to me, no life or anything.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

It's been ages since I've seen or played this. It'll be interesting to see how well it holds up.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The cozy farm town facade has ended. It's Little poo poo time :twisted:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Even though everyone watching this is aware of Zant I am still going to hold my tongue for a while because well, I want you to remember his grand entrance here, just file it away for later.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
As I never got around to watching your first LP of this game, I will definitely watch this one in its place. Thanks!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
It's always good to watch you play. Your riffing on the game's suspension of disbelief tickles the inner MST3K fan in me, and you definitely deserve more love for your videos.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

In the dark of the night, the dog will bite bugs.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I love Link's HamHarry's sword flourish at the end of that training session. It just looks cool as hell.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Oh god. I played Twilight Princess quite a lot back in the day, and I have never seen that bit with Rusl's injuries before. That was actually well enough done to be disturbing. (Do you know if that was in the original or added in the HD?)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh gently caress I completely forgot about skeleton knight! That, Ashei and Telma should've been in Hyrule Warriors.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 10, 2021

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

DoubleNegative posted:

I love Link's HamHarry's sword flourish at the end of that training session. It just looks cool as hell.

You can do that sword flourish at will. I haven’t played the game in a long time, but IIRC you have to hold the button for putting the sword away, instead of just tapping it.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Oh gently caress I completely forgot about skeleton knight! That, Ashei and Telma should've been I Hyrule Warriors.

It's kind of a bum note for OoT/MM Link to end up as a skeleton knight, poor guy just couldn't catch a break.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

All those delays and the hat still clips through the shield and sword.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

First dungeon time, and since it's not a particularly difficult dungeon, let's make it a little harder for me. :twisted:

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Ha, I like the moments where you add subtitles to Midna's twilight-speak.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Ha, I like the moments where you add subtitles to Midna's twilight-speak.

Yeah I’m happy they brought that back.

I happy this LP is here, the original came out in a time when I really needed some laughs and I’ve mostly followed y’all since.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wasn't completely sure what I was looking at at first so I thought the game had plants that gave you lantern oil now.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
What's funny is that artist Earthsong9405 redesigned Ooccoo which looks far less horrifying:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
A small thing I like is the dust and debris falling when a new door is opened. It’s such a nice and cute little touch.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Bold of Nintendo to include a big honkin' pair of chicken titties in their kids game.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Beartaco posted:

Bold of Nintendo to include a big honkin' pair of chicken titties in their kids game.

You know what's coming later right?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Judge Tesla posted:

I do not, and now I'm excited.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Chimera-gui posted:

What's funny is that artist Earthsong9405 redesigned Ooccoo which looks far less horrifying:

That's really cute! However, I feel like "gross and horrifying" is kind of what Twilight Princess was going for, unfortunately.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I want monkeys in every dungeon.

Judge Tesla posted:

Is it even bigger honkin' chicken titties?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Beartaco posted:

I meqn, we've also had gratuitous Midna butshots. So, you know. It's on theme.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Cripes!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I know you said from episode six onward was after your change. (Congrats, by the way) but it still sounds like you're about to break out and start mocking FI again, even though she isn't in this game.

I mean nothing bad by that, to be clear. I'm just giggling at remembering your guy's relentless riffing on her.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Thanks!
Well, look forward to sometime next year when we inevitably redo Skyward Sword with the HD version too.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I've never been a fan of Hyrule Field in Twilight Princess, it felt like it was massive simply for the sake of it and it is absolutely empty and almost devoid of enemies, not counting the night exclusive ones.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If I had any skill at all I'd make a gif of Barnes spider crawling toward the camera and then into him moving away from the camera.

I'm honestly having trouble figuring out how old these kids are supposed to be (unless it was said and I missed it). I do like how a change in perspective makes you look at even the layout of your Standard Zelda House differently though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

If I had any skill at all I'd make a gif of Barnes spider crawling toward the camera and then into him moving away from the camera.

I'm honestly having trouble figuring out how old these kids are supposed to be (unless it was said and I missed it). I do like how a change in perspective makes you look at even the layout of your Standard Zelda House differently though.

Malo is 30. The others are 5.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Today's part is being pushed back to tomorrow, because it's my birthday and I'm celebrating with a new album! We'll be having the release/listening party at noon PST, 3PM Pacific:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQfDFLY7GK8

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

In my haste to move the upload date back, I apparently forgot to set it to post at noon. Welp, it's up now. Colin gets hurt in this one!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So what happens if you try to stop one of the Gorons rolling at you further up the mountain without the iron boots? Do they just push you all the way back down it or what?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

So what happens if you try to stop one of the Gorons rolling at you further up the mountain without the iron boots? Do they just push you all the way back down it or what?

If you don't have the Iron Boots, you just get knocked away the same as if you weren't trying at all, I think.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I do like that Sumo Culture and Strength have become Goron staples going forwards because looking back to Ocarina of Time there was really nothing at all to them outside of Darunia's love of dancing and them really liking rocks to eat.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

ThornBrain posted:

In my haste to move the upload date back, I apparently forgot to set it to post at noon. Welp, it's up now. Colin gets hurt in this one!

I just wanted to let you know that I appreciated the 'pop' sound effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The random "bloody handprints" around the mayor's home are tegata, handprints in red ink and autographed, given as a souvenir by high-ranking sumo wrestlers. A neat but kind of random detail to put in the game.