Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
The Zelda series often leans on horror elements, but Oocca are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wait a second, those aren't supposed to be horns?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG I got the chests this time CLANG CLANG CLANG

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

And now to show my LP age.

Watch out for that Beamos.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

If the future of the series was HD nipples, what the hell happened in BotW?

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Someone on the Zelda team must have a Peter Jackson-like love of ugly characters, but they mostly kept it reserved with the occassional character like the Goron Elder in Majora's Mask, or the Skulltula family in Ocarina of Time. But after Wind Waker, when the series was at its prettiest, got backlash for it, that guy knew it was his chance to pitch going all out on highly distorted, bulbous, and angular character designs.

And then he must have retired or something, because none of the future Zelda's revel in being aesthetically displeasing as much as Ooccoo does.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The next dungeon is further away than the Goron Mines was from the Forest Temple, so let's strap in for some runarounds.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'm real glad you guys are doing an LP of this game because I've been wanting to revisit it for a while now.
When I tried playing the HD remaster I immediately remembered why I never did a second run, despite loving the setting and aesthetic: hating the children you're supposedly friends with and just how slow of a burn this game is.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

yeah, the Lanaryu province takes so long to get through that you almost forget why you were headed for the water temple in the first place

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Adding the shrapnel on the outside of the bombs seems like an especially mature thing to do for a Zelda game.

So if I understood things right we have a pre water temple, the water temple, and a post water temple and then The Real Zelda Starts Here?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Kibayasu posted:

Adding the shrapnel on the outside of the bombs seems like an especially mature thing to do for a Zelda game.

So if I understood things right we have a pre water temple, the water temple, and a post water temple and then The Real Zelda Starts Here?

Basically. Post water temple section also includes a plot dump.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I imagine Twilight Epona would look like a Nightmare horse maybe? And now I'm mad that it wasn't a thing!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It would just be War's horse from Darksiders.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The only options we have are Shadowfax or a bad horse drawing attempt from medieval times because of how wild and weird the proportions are for everyone here.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Didn't bother this time

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

The flying section reminds me more of Panzer Dragoon than anything else.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That cutscene after you get all the tears is the most surreal and probably the creepiest thing I've seen in Zelda so far.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Commander Keene posted:

That cutscene after you get all the tears is the most surreal and probably the creepiest thing I've seen in Zelda so far.

It's memorable alright, Twilight Princess in general might be a bit flat but it has a few scenes that really stand out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
What's really bugging me about this game so far is how desaturated and washed out the color palette is. I normally associate Zelda with bright, rich colors and a world that's a joy to look at. This is not that.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Felt like an entire era of gaming went through the same phase of having a bloom-washed earth tone palette at around the same time, and Zelda was no exception.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Cythereal posted:

What's really bugging me about this game so far is how desaturated and washed out the color palette is. I normally associate Zelda with bright, rich colors and a world that's a joy to look at. This is not that.

Blame the "Celda" crowd who would not shut up about Wind Waker's cartoony visuals and how it looked like a baby game, Nintendo may be in its own world most of the time but when they pay attention to discourse then watch out.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm assuming the zoras all wear helmets because they couldn't figure out how to make them as frightening as human faces.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Kibayasu posted:

I'm assuming the zoras all wear helmets because they couldn't figure out how to make them as frightening as human faces.

possibly also an attempt to sort-of unify the N64 zora look with the river zora look from earlier games. The helmets kind of look like them, I think

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Last chunk of dump before we finally get to the dungeon next week, after which the game will pick up immensely.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I just don't like the NPC's in this game, everyone just looks so wrong, the clown dudes are probably the least weird ones because you expect them to look odd, the rest just look so ugly.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
It's not much of a silver lining, but the one thing I notice about the NPCs is that they're actually highly expressive and well-animated, even if the base art direction makes them look strange by default. Wind Waker gets more credit for having more cohesive art direction, but the expressivity of Wind Waker's characters extends only to the small group of main characters, and everyone else is stuck with only one facial expression at all. Even characters with pretty important plot beats, such as the Rito postman who is crucial to most of the early game, don't have the level of detail that Telma has. And Telma's role in the story is rather brief.

Though, Twilight Princess gets no credit for any of it because the art style is so incongruous to start with, and it probably doesn't help that because the game's larger narrative is screwed on backwards that any of the characters aside from Midna aren't given much room to shine or be memorable in their own right.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It is possible to get the 2nd bomb bag before entering Lakebed, and having both a bag of regular and water bombs at this time. Means you don't have to sell back your original bombs.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

You gotta feel sorry for OoT Link though, whatever happened to him that caused him to linger Hyrule forever as a skeleton ghost, poor guy never caught a break.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Always thought the clowns look like they came straight out of a clasky-csupo cartoon.

And the weirdness of the NPCs is really front loaded, like some change in design happened halfway through the game. Theres normal(ish) looking people in hyrule town and the zora dont look horrifying for fish-people.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, I've always loved Twilight Princess' artstyle, and the weirdness of the NPCs' appearances never bothered me.

Also, Telma is a treasure.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

The postman interrupts your adventure to deliver not one, but four (the number of death!) letters, and they're all advertisements?
Kill the postman

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

NullBlack posted:

The postman interrupts your adventure to deliver not one, but four (the number of death!) letters, and they're all advertisements?
Kill the postman

They tried that in the last TP LP... it uh, it didn't go well. *Traumatic flashback*

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So I know nothing about swimming but it was mentioned in the commentary, is there actually a reason why Link swims like that on top of the water? I honestly can't think of any other video game character that ever swam like that.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Flipped world or not, I don't think I'll ever fully remember the path to that first key.

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
You mentioned that you wondered if you could enter the water in the outer(?) hub area. If you look to the right at 37:32 you can see a patch of wines which you could clawshoot to and presumably enter the water.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

So I know nothing about swimming but it was mentioned in the commentary, is there actually a reason why Link swims like that on top of the water? I honestly can't think of any other video game character that ever swam like that.

I assumed that was the best way for him to keep steady and not sink while having a heavy sword and shield on his back.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So the boss really was just Morpha redux, huh? Then a cakewalk second phase.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I believe one of the colossi in SotC does swim underwater and in order to stab its weak spots, you had to run across its back while it's on the surface; grabbing its back just before it dives and hanging on while it's underwater.

EDIT: Hydrus was who I was thinking of.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Clawshot is my favorite implementation of the Hookshot, especially after you get a later upgrade to it. Couple that with the Bomb Arrows turning an amusing glitch into a useful and versatile tool.

HamHarry bomb arrowing the Lizalfos makes me think of the iconic Raiders of the Lost Ark scene. You know the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I've always liked Lakebed Temple, I think it's one of the most atmospheric Zelda dungeons in terms of sheer scale (plus it encourages you to use bomb arrows, which is fun; this was the first time we'd seen them since the origin as a possible glitch in Link's Awakening). On the other hand, as an actual dungeon I think it's a bit disappointing, it's very linear and there isn't much in the way of actual puzzles (as Zelda water dungeons go, it's nearly toothless, which sometimes makes me wonder if they were overcompensating for the reaction to the Water Temple and Great Bay Temple).

The boss is of a piece with that, as an impressive-looking spectacle that doesn't really do much to threaten you. The fakeout from "oh, it's Morpha again" into the Shadow of the Colossus-esque second phase isn't bad, but the second phase is all style with no substance.

It's really weird seeing this game again now; I still think there's a lot to like here, but a lot of the wow factor I remember looks forced and hollow in retrospect.