Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Link can run around like normal while wearing flippers. He is a true hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Time for things to go badly so they can go great

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

The poes showing up on the map would have been so nice to have in the GC version.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Dev team hosed up by not having Wolf Link pull out the Master Sword with his mouth.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Midna looking at her fist when the castle is put into magic prison like she had no idea what a fist was before that.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The game world is effectively open now that we can switch between wolf and human at will, allowing us to warp wherever we want. As such, time for the first of three parts of just getting a whole crapload of stuff!

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I forget, how long is it actually until you can get the other bomb bags?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

The game world is effectively open now that we can switch between wolf and human at will, allowing us to warp wherever we want. As such, time for the first of three parts of just getting a whole crapload of stuff!

About the game saying you aren't sure about the snail's sex - that makes sense in real life. Many snails are hermaphroditic species, meaning each individual has both male and female organs. So it's often literally impossible to tell their sex.

The Golux posted:

I forget, how long is it actually until you can get the other bomb bags?

You can get the second bomb bag directly after unfreezing Zora's Domain, so before entering the water temple. When I replay this game I often enter the water temple with both a bag of regular bombs and a bag of water bombs, and I was quite surprised to see ThornBrain not doing that.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I do appreciate how you can run around Castle Town as Wolf Link and terrorize the locals, do it for long enough and the guards will start to follow you around, they won't attack as they are also afraid but its a funny timewaster.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Judge Tesla posted:

I do appreciate how you can run around Castle Town as Wolf Link and terrorize the locals, do it for long enough and the guards will start to follow you around, they won't attack as they are also afraid but its a funny timewaster.

They'll waggle their spears at you while shaking like mad, then the second you go to "attack" them they run for the hills. It's great.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

As far as I remember, the STAR game operator's name is Purlo and he has no connection to Tingle, aside from his outfit obviously taking a similar inspiration.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Explopyro posted:

As far as I remember, the STAR game operator's name is Purlo and he has no connection to Tingle, aside from his outfit obviously taking a similar inspiration.

A game dev said he was inspired by the idea of "what if Tingle but with a realistic look". But that's all.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The part with Rollgoal.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

One last jot around Lake Hylia before we head to the desert next week

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I don't know if it's possible in this version, but there's a trick I used to like doing with the Great Fairy's Tears.

So, you're supposed to only be able to have one bottle of Great Fairy's Tears at a time (the other place you can get it won't give you any if you have some already). But the bottle Jovani gives you ignores this restriction, so if you wait to come back to him until you've filled a bottle with them elsewhere, you can have two at once. (Effectively three if you get Rare Chu Jelly in another bottle, since that has the same effect but a separate one-of restriction.)

In practice, what this would amount to is that I'd do this and then never use any, effectively locking up my bottles forever, because you can't get back to this state. But still, it's cool that you can do it, I guess? Ah, completionism and the things it makes us do.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Feels like when they were making the game someone figured out they hadn't really used the lantern since the beginning and really needed to justify it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
In addition to the standard randomization of items, the Zelda 1 and 2 Randomizers also allows you to randomize dungeon rooms. For Z1R, the map shape will be the same (Level 1 will still be Eagle shaped) but you can run into rooms that are from later dungeons. Those are the only Zelda randomizers I know of that actually randomize the dungeons themselves rather than just where the entrance might be.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

There's a sort of make-your-own-dungeon minigame in Link's Awakening HD but from what I've seen it's kinda bad.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That bit about the speedrunner who can't talk right reminded me of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8zWWp0akUU

But I misremembered it, because I thought they pronounced every vowel like they were reading the alphabet.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Carbon dioxide posted:

There's a sort of make-your-own-dungeon minigame in Link's Awakening HD but from what I've seen it's kinda bad.

Yeah it's not great although you can make your own dungeon and let someone else play it which is sort of neat, kind of like a DIY randomizer. It's much more limited than Z1R though, since iirc Z1R will modify doors/walls to make the randomization work, like making a wall bombable even if it isn't in vanilla, or turning a door into a locked door to keep the number of keys to beat a dungeon consistent with vanilla. The LA build a dungeon thing won't do that, if a door is locked in the dungeon it'll be locked when you put it in your dungeon, and you have to make sure you have enough chests on top of making sure all doors lead somewhere, and all staircases have a partner. It's much more limited than the actual randomizers.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

There's been just too much water in this LP lately. Time to dehydrate.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
Great choice for a screenshot. I never got this far, so thanks as always.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Really enjoying the LP!

But the Dad Joke center of my brain was very sad during the assassination section that I didn't hear "Ham Fisher"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

They very definition of "drat, he's very slowly getting away" after that boss fight.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

First half of the dungeon, since I'm trying not to make parts that go over an hour. There's a pretty solid halfway point that I cut off at, anyway.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Didn't know you were really stressed about the LP the first go around. The main appeal for group LPs in my experience is how people can keep going onto weird tangents between focusing on the game. Knuckles' weird conspiracy theories, King in Sleeping Dogs, Falco, Joker being incapable of keeping his story straight.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

All the pokin' brigades were pretty great. Kind of surprised they didn't combine them with Redeads more.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Let's empty our wallet before we return to the dungeon and fill our pants.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

One thing I do appreciate about this game is that it pretty consistently gives you something to do with all the money you pick up over the course of the game. Bombs, arrows and oil get used often enough to make buying them worthwhile, there's several thousand rupees' worth of donations to make at various points, and once you've got the armor, it runs on money, so having to skip chests with rupees in them generally isn't an issue.

And while the arbiter's ground boss is one of the coolest in the game, I think the next dungeon is my favorite overall. I like the structure, I like the conceit of the dungeon that goes with it, and you get another really cool (IMO) dungeon item/weapon as well.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Meaty Ore posted:

One thing I do appreciate about this game is that it pretty consistently gives you something to do with all the money you pick up over the course of the game. Bombs, arrows and oil get used often enough to make buying them worthwhile, there's several thousand rupees' worth of donations to make at various points, and once you've got the armor, it runs on money, so having to skip chests with rupees in them generally isn't an issue.

Yes. On my initial playthrough I was so glad when I got the magic armor. Whenever I was in a dungeon with a full wallet I would put the magic armor on for a couple seconds just so I could empty the money chests and not have to leave the dungeon with unopened chest icons on the map.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I remember that modded run that Maxwell Adams and his crew did with that dungeon item and that was the most glorious thing ever.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

If you look closely you can see that Death Sword was killed via hanging, his head hangs lopsided in the fashion a broken neck would.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Sonicfiend in my Discord put to paper us "finding Uncle Grandpa's skull."

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Sorry, forgot to post here that we've been unable to record the next parts. We're going to try to do that today, but in the meantime I put together a couple Best Of compilations for some of our older LPs: a four-parter for our old teammate Travis's LP of Skies of Arcadia, and one for my 2017 LP of STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nDSqI6VQmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lShhgMVYfl0

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

He's big, fuzzy and friendly, and probably smells diabolical.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I love the implication that the Mailman recognizes Link when he's in his wolf form and doesn't care about the fact that this dude can turn into a monster-wolf and back at will.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm pretty sure that music tune is one of the harp tunes from Oracle of Ages, but I don't remember which one exactly.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It is apparently the Ballad of Gales from Wind Waker. The warp song.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I wonder which dev either got into and/or watched snowboarding for them to decide it was sick and Link needed to do it in now two games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

BlazetheInferno posted:

I love the implication that the Mailman recognizes Link when he's in his wolf form and doesn't care about the fact that this dude can turn into a monster-wolf and back at will.

Lycanthropy might see you cast out of human society but the mail will never forsake you.