Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voltek
Apr 19, 2013
Do you like coffee? I like coffee.

What is coffee?
It's a brewed drink made by pouring water over roasted coffee beans in various ways. Coffee tastes good and is a mild stimulant thanks to the caffeine inside. It can also help if you want to take longer/multiple toilet breaks at work, as it can also act as a diuretic and laxative.

Why did I make a coffee thread in CSPAM?
I guess a lot of people drink it, so maybe we can talk about what we enjoy or dislike about it. Brewing good coffee is as much an art as it is a science (also fiddly at times). I also want to post more so I figured something I find interesting is a good start.

Oh yeah, also because coffee is a valuable export for many countries and involves plenty of capitalism loving over said countries and producers. Case in point, Nestle (an obscenely evil corporation) is heavily involved in instant and pod coffee.

What should I post about?
Anything involving coffee I guess. Was your last coffee good? What's your brew setup like? Coffee economics?

How do I make good coffee?
Spend money on a decent hand grinder (cheaper, requires effort) or electric grinder (expensive, automatic). Buy beans from a local roaster if possible. Get yourself a brewer like a V60 pourover, Aeropress, French press or even a cheap drip filter machine. Learn how to use them and boom, you have good coffee. Most brew methods will make good coffee as long as you have good coffee grounds, and good coffee grounds come from good grinders. A good grinder is by far the most important part of a brew setup.

What about espresso?
Good espresso needs a quality grinder and a good espresso machine. Expect to pay decent amounts of money for these, plus kitchen bench space. Espresso at home is often called a hobby for a reason.

Light, medium or dark roast? Also do I add milk?
The roast refers to how long the beans were in the roaster. Lighter roasts emphasise fruity acidic notes, whilst dark roasts emphasise bitter, spicy and smoky notes. Medium roasts (my preference) sit in the middle somewhere. Add milk to taste (or to mask the terrible instant coffee provided by your employer). Most roasters will have a 'house' roast which is likely a good medium roast, so start there.

How can I get into coffee?
Cheapest way is just to go to a good coffee shop and try a few things out, maybe talk to the barista if they're not busy. Alternatively you can buy pre-ground coffee from a roaster and just get a cheap brew option.

What about instant?
Takes literally 10 seconds, but you sacrifice taste in the process. Good for a caffeine hit, but not much else.

Is coffee addictive?
Probably, but good luck if you think I'm giving up my morning coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I'm a quantity drinker. I love a good cup at $16/pound, but my wife and I go through that much coffee in about 3 days (two if it's the weekend) so we drink a lot of Publix or 7-11 brand coffee. I don't recall where I picked it up, but I started taking a pinch of a pinch of kosher salt and tossing them on top of the grinds before I add the water to the press. It certainly doesn't compare to the brightness of a freshly ground cup, it cuts a significant amount of that bitter taste that store-bought ground coffee seems to always have.

Voltek
Apr 19, 2013
Yeah, there's definitely the price point to consider if you're going through the cups. Works out ok for just myself and the amount I drink, but I could see the beans disappearing fast if I started doing batch brews.

Have heard about salt in coffee but had no idea what it did. Will have to give it a go next time I grab the store bought grounds.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Drinking a McDonald's (proletarian) coffee

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Coming from someone who drinks coffee by the pot, the OP should probably warn people about the all the strong-odor piss and watery stool that comes with having a crippling caffeine addiction.

This is my favourite:

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I drink a lot of coffee myself, but if someone would effortpost on the actual production of coffee I would be very grateful because I've heard it's hosed up but know next to nothing about it.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Vietnamese iced coffee is a treat and I still like getting it whenever I get pho. it's so refreshing

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I used to not give a poo poo about the coffee I was drinking as long as I was drinking a lot of it, but my wife spent most of her adult life in France and so is a huge coffee snob and managed to goad me into buying a home espresso machine and now I'm totally ruined. I used to drink $1 gas station coffees all day like a hoary handed son of toil and now I need to have my little lord fauntleroy coffee for special boys every morning when I sit at my desk to do my clicky clacky job. but learning to pull a perfect shot is so god damned satisfying and the end result is better than anything I could get short of the super expensive on-site roaster cafe downtown.

Entorwellian posted:

Coming from someone who drinks coffee by the pot, the OP should probably warn people about the all the strong-odor piss and watery stool that comes with having a crippling caffeine addiction.

This is my favourite:

I really, really like their cliff hanger espresso

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Settler scum leeching off the blood and sweat of the Global South itt

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

HEB's own Texas Pecan coffee is good and is one of the things I miss from living in houston

granted i can order it online but lol im not paying for shipping for that poo poo

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Grevling posted:

I drink a lot of coffee myself, but if someone would effortpost on the actual production of coffee I would be very grateful because I've heard it's hosed up but know next to nothing about it.

the coffee you drink, coffea arabica (robusta used to be common but these days even folgers is made with arabica beans) grows in the shade in a very narrow climate band of high altitude (5000 foot or so) tropical cloud forest found almost exclusively in the global south as yossarian pointed out. production is labor intensive, climate sensitive and difficult to automate (tho some major aspects of production have been automated it changes the character of the end result and so more labor intensive methods are usually desired for the good stuff).

farm sizes vary hugely and picking the coffee cherries has to be done pretty much exclusively by hand. the cherries are processed to remove to fruit and pith to free the bean inside. there are a variety of methods but the big ones are fermenting the cherries and washing off the fruit with an automated process (washed process) or letting them dry in the sun and then removing the fruit and mucilage by hand (natural process). theres hybrids and variations on these two methods but thats basically it. processing is generally done in the same place the coffee is grown, so you wont see much natural process coffee coming from places that see a lot of rain during the peak growing season. once the green beans are free of their fruit theyre dried, bagged in burlap sacks and stored. edit: forgot to mention that when it comes to farms theres a whole tangle of direct trade fair trade certified organic or not organic crap that comes along with it, which has very little bearing on how ethically the farms themselves are being run.

your green beans have to be bought, usually by a guy from some western country who will visit the farm on behalf of a roaster (could be any size, small to corporate) and talk with the owners and maybe taste some coffee and whatever, ive never really been involved in that end of things. a deal is struck, either for a single batch if its something real specialized (oh, coffea arabica cultivars are all insanely inbred and facing all sorts of issues as a result) or for a longer term contract in which the farm will provide a certain amount of green beans per season for export.

beans get shipped to wherever they have to go (usually north), they arrive at a warehouse and there someone with a very good palate will take samples of them all, make a bunch of small test batches and turn those into a roast profile which is used by the guys on the roasting floor to roast the beans at scale.

then its packaged and sold to you.

at any point along this chain theres opportunities for hosed up stuff, but the obvious and most common place to find exploitation is at step one, the growing and picking. as for ecological impacts its certainly not palm oil but its also basically endangered in the wild because of climate change, pests, and encroaching commercial cultivars so for all we know it could easily go the way of the gros michel banana. enjoy it while it lasts i guess

Mr. Sharps has issued a correction as of 01:39 on Jun 29, 2021

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

I drink a pot of black coffee every day and I understand that there will be a day when that's going to get expensive or outright unethical to do.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

Victory Position posted:

Vietnamese iced coffee is a treat and I still like getting it whenever I get pho. it's so refreshing

ive been making vietnamese egg coffee at home with a moka pot and a whisk. i recommend it if you like vietnamese iced coffee

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I use a v60 and make a pour over every day. :smug:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

covfefe

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
French Press is more then fake news.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Coffee sucks drink tea

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Honestly, from my experience when people are talking about the "quality" of a coffee, about 90% of the time it is about the ratio of arabica to robusta beans. Starbucks for example used to use a much higher amount of robusta during the 2000s (during the height of the Frappuccino boom) but more recently they started to add more arabica beans in. McDonalds uses a higher amount of arabica than you would think, and most "diner" coffee is majority robusta.

Vietnamese Coffee is often robusta but there is usually enough condensed milk/sugar in it that most of the bitterness is mellowed in it.

Also, Stumptown is very overrated.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 02:54 on Jun 29, 2021

Voltek
Apr 19, 2013
Behold, the instant coffee provided by an employer purely out of spite (at least here in Australia).

I don't think I've ever been desparate enough to drink this. It's just straight up awful.

Also I remember bulletproof coffee being a thing and just reading felt like my risk of heart disease was going up.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
200% of your daily saturated fats in a single cup of coffee is probably fine.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yossarian-22 posted:

Settler scum leeching off the blood and sweat of the Global South itt

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I mean, it isn't as heinous as posting on the internet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ardennes posted:

Honestly, from my experience when people are talking about the "quality" of a coffee, about 90% of the time it is about the ratio of arabica to robusta beans.

Isn’t freshness also a major issue?

If you get your beans out the back door of a poo poo‐tier roaster, you’ll make a better cup than if you’d used some “real gourmet poo poo” that languished in the supply chain for months.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Platystemon posted:

If you get your beans out the back door of a poo poo‐tier roaster, you’ll make a better cup than if you’d used some “real gourmet poo poo” that languished in the supply chain for months.

It is about how extreme you take it, obviously really old beans are going to taste off but if are within a relative realm of freshness (months not years) then the arabica beans are probably going to taste a lot more less astringent. The big issue is simply the fog of war of trying to figure out what type of beans are in a blend and a lot of it depends on how they market it.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

Coffee sucks drink tea

Cheapo black tea + milk. It’s so easy…

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
add a pinch of salt to black coffee and it'll taste 100% better

thx

e: I should probably read threads before posting, but I wont

Homocow has issued a correction as of 05:49 on Jun 29, 2021

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

Platystemon posted:

after roasting coffee is good for a couple months as long as you keep it in an airtight container. it can taste sort of weird when its super freshly roasted too since its full of volatiles that would be gone after a couple days sitting on a shelf. green beans regularly sit in port for months before shipping, as long as they dont get wet they'll keep like any other dry good

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i drink green tea from china

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Anyone have recommendations for a brand for good cold brew?(Whole beans or grinds) I'm a lazy mother-fucker, so I like to brew a giant jug of the stuff and drink that for a week and a half. Also I find it's easier on my stomach.

e:

They know their market. Anyone stupid enough to spend 3-4k on a a gucci gun has too much money and and a dick too small.

The Atomic Man-Boy has issued a correction as of 07:35 on Jun 29, 2021

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

d-d-d-double post! (My bad)

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
coffee is cool and great. I worked at a fancy shop/roastery for 3 years and loved every second. right now, I’m using a French Press I got from Broadcast Coffee in Seattle. it’s a dark roast and is delicious

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a brand for good cold brew?(Whole beans or grinds) I'm a lazy mother-fucker, so I like to brew a giant jug of the stuff and drink that for a week and a half. Also I find it's easier on my stomach.

e:

They know their market. Anyone stupid enough to spend 3-4k on a a gucci gun has too much money and and a dick too small.

Bean wise we always did a nice medium roast, single origin, pref something African. lots of nice light fruit notes and not too acidic. as for grind, you typically will always want coarse. like French press coarse

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I don’t drink very much coffee, but I do like it. One time I was in Guatemala and found an Internet cafe run by an Italian guy (I think?), which I went to only because it was named Restaurant Idea Connection and that made me laugh. The coffee they sold me resulted in me ultimately drinking less coffee, because it was perfect. They also had some of the best croissants I’ve ever seen and a lovely covered patio area where you could smoke cigarettes and play with stray cats.

I can go get a ten dollar artisanal pour-over where they weigh the grounds on a scale in front of you and measure the water and blah blah blah, and that’s fine, but it just doesn’t even get close.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

that feel when you nail the v60 pour and get all the flavor notes from your single origin bean

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.
the only good thing about going back into the office to work is the 45 minute coffee break that everyone takes at about 3pm everyday

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I brew coffee every morning using a V60. Before COVID, I even kept a smaller V60 in my office to brew in the kitchen. During COVID, since I was brewing more at home, I bought two things that I don't ever know how I lived without: an electric kettle (vs. the stovetop one I was using that took forever), and an electric grinder (hand grinding is so tiresome if you're brewing more than one cup per day).

I'm glad I'm not into espresso, because goddamn is that an expensive hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Buy Chiapas coffee from the Zapatista communes and help support one of the longest lasting anarchist "states"