Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I fell in love with the bassoon in a Brazilian song and vowed to learn the instrument if only to be able to play that one song. Six months later, I finally got my hands on a rental bassoon (they're apparently extremely rare); seven self-taught lessons in, the thing is kicking my rear end. I was doing so well, but I can't hit the lowest notes and, new today, can't even reliably get the others out, either. I don't know if my reed is hosed up or what. I can't find the right resources on reed health or embouchure or anything. The local music shop doesn't really deal with bassoons--they had to order in my rental. I'm so frustrated and angry and sad.

I played flute for many many years, so this is really different in a lot of ways. But it shouldn't be this goddamn hard. Sorry for the e/n, but if it inspires anyone to reply with advice, I'd sure appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks for the kind words of advice and commiseration. I did find and order a well-reviewed synthetic reed in Soft, which is supposed to be good for beginners (mine came with a Medium-Soft cane reed). It's not from Amazon, but a pretty local place, so with any luck it'll arrive soon even without Prime. I was feeling pretty good about getting the fingerings down pat, reading the bass staff properly (entirely new for me), grokking intervals, and all that good stuff, so hopefully taking a fussy reed (and fussing over the reed) out of the equation will help me focus on the rest of it. I mean, literal children with absolutely no backgrounds in music learn this instrument, right? (And apparently at least one well-regarded manufacturer includes plastic reeds with their student bassoons.)

This was the song that hooked me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUjOfsoBhMY
I've been joking that I just want to get to the point where I can play this song, and then I can give up the bassoon forever and never ever talk about it again. I do have the sheet music for it!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My new soft plastic reed has made it easier to hit the notes on my bassoon, but WOW does it sound like poo poo. I don't know if it's the plastic of it or the soft, if a soft cane reed would be better or maybe a medium-soft plastic reed. But yesterday I started with my old cane reed and swapped out for plastic when it started acting up, plonking the cane reed back into water for more soaking. (I feel like part of the problem is that my reed is not wet enough, or dries out really quickly--if that's a thing.) I switched reeds again when the plastic got to be too much (half the time I can't tell what note I'm playing, or the pitch wavers considerably over a single held note) and did much better with the cane reed then I usually do. So the plastic reed does really seem to be like training wheels that let me focus on my embouchure and fingering, and when I take the wheels off and go back to cane, all that technique (mostly) sticks.

Thanks again for the suggestion! I'm not giving up just yet. :unsmith:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I'm having much better luck with mine now, even going back to the original medium-soft cane reed (though it did get chipped to the point that I needed to replace it). But I don't practice nearly as much as I used to or should because I got all self-conscious about doing so with my husband and kid around, and those fuckers never leave. :blush: I think I'm still a few notes shy of being able to even start playing the piece that turned me onto the bassoon in the first place.

On the bright side, my interest in the instrument turned me onto this video about a great part of a great song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KV6KZd12i4

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hawkperson posted:

Thaaaaat rocks, when my bassoon supplies get here I’m excited to start playing and complain and then you can be like “oh I had that problem, here’s how I solved it :smug:
Oh, God, I'm flattered, but I am nowhere near being able to give any kind of advice! Unless it's really really basic! :ohdear:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I decided to get an EWI (electronic wind instrument) instead
:stare: That's an option?

Well, poo poo!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

FartingBedpost posted:

As for the new Bassoon player in the thread, a lot of the things you're dealing with right now are just things that all bassoon players deal with. Making your own reeds is the standard thing bassoonists do, because they can make the reeds exactly how they want them, and playing the instrument in general is a lot of ugly weird half-sounds before you can get the good sounds out. Just keep at it, it's a process.
Thanks for this. I've been terrible about practicing, though when I do, it does sound a lot better than when I started, and the lower notes show up a lot more easily and regularly. A new reed--even a storebought one--can make all the difference. Now it's more of a battle with my fortysomething-year-old brain trying to remember the trickier fingerings. :saddumb: I still want to play, though, so I'm not giving up just yet!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I sent it to my son, who said he appreciated all the replies complaining that it was a 3.5. "My people."

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The Grapist posted:

In all seriousness, I’ve spent pretty much my entire adult life working for Sam Ash Music and I’m now one of the people that associates and managers call when they need guidance on buying in used and vintage brass and winds. I can find you a better deal than either of them.
Before I hit you up in PMs, I thought I'd ask here for the benefit of the thread: Do you have any used bari saxes around that are of decent quality? They don't need to be fancy. My kiddo is graduating high school and will lose access to the school-provided rental, but he wants to take a bari to camp next summer and hopefully parlay it into some college perks. Thanks!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The one I saw at a glance at a local woodwinds shop was north of $5K, so $2K sounds pretty sweet, lol. :smith: We might just end up doing our own rental, which gives us the flexibility of handing the thing back in if it turns out not to be relevant enough in college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Cabbages and Kings posted:

If you have a rental option, that's what I'd do in this situation, especially given the uncertainty. I personally would not be comfortable trying to find a bari for 2k; for me that's more like the entry point to an (intermediate) tenor that I might reasonably expect to play pretty well and not need a bunch of work, pads, etc.
True, and honestly, I'd rather get him onto tenor for the long term just for versatility. He played alto for six years starting in grade school--we now own that rental--before being put on bari in junior year; he says it's way too hard to switch from bari to alto, which smells of bullshit, but :shrug:. If he's all about bari, we'll find the best way to support that.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I am jelly of your "local woodwind shop"; I may end up driving to Boston to try horns.
Oh, it's not that local! Just under two hours away. It came up when I was shopping around for bassoon reeds and I thought, well, may as well buy :airquote: local. There's a music store much closer with a few instruments in stock that can handle rentals, though. Thanks for your insight!