Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loopsheloop
Big time 661 owner here, blew out a piston on my first cedar. I had scored on the front of the piston and the rings sized. Apparently a heat issue

I bought a piston online OEM, since the cylinder didn't have a scratch on it, threw it in, rubbed oil on it, let it idle for about 15min, revved it a few times, let it sit for 24 hours, did the same thing again. I also open of the muffler a bit to get some excess heat out, also went heavy on the oil in the mix

about 8 min into milling some easy cedar 12," saw shuts off, just dies. take off the muffler and the piston was scored and rings seized.

My question, could the cylinder be bad? did I not oil it enough? should I have broken it in? where should I go from here?

I can take it into another shop for $450 to replace the cylinder and piston, however, I can also just by the OEM parts for $200..

don't know what to do..thoughts, OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU