Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

George RR Fartin posted:

I cleared out the VRAM cache at lunch, but haven't had the chance to check to see if it worked. A buddy's theory is that maybe the shader cache got screwed up, since that has happened in other games.

EDIT: and it's a 3080, I wouldn't expect to be brushing up against the limit - I'm running at 1080p.

EDIT 2 and closure: The VRAM cache helped a bit, but ten minutes in and it was a slideshow again. I noticed my second monitor had gotten choppy as well (I was using Wallpaper Engine, and the smooth animation was not so much), so I quit Wallpaper Engine and everything went right back to normal. This is the first time that's been a conflict with anything, but it's a simple fix at least.

Incidentally, the VRAM usage meter kept flickering between total sizes, IE: it would show something like 8800 then jump to 8900 and back really quickly It feels like a weird thing to have it keep track in real-time of my available VRAM, but I'd expect if the on-card chips were failing, I'd see more issues than a number flickering about, right? Anyone else see this in their graphics settings?

Someone on Reddit had this

https://www.reddit.com/r/Deathloop/comments/xmmqyh/max_vram_bug/

My issue with the game is that I appear to be bottlenecked, but my CPU usage (per thread) isn’t very high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

FYI, if your game doesn't seem to be maxing out your gpu or cpu, and you have an unlocked frame rate... for whatever reason turning off your internet gets it working properly.

Like literally going into airplane mode immediately gave me 60 extra fps (I was testing on low settings). I wasn't even using the game's online mode.

This might be limited to the gamepass version.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Rinkles posted:

FYI, if your game doesn't seem to be maxing out your gpu or cpu, and you have an unlocked frame rate... for whatever reason turning off your internet gets it working properly.

Like literally going into airplane mode immediately gave me 60 extra fps (I was testing on low settings). I wasn't even using the game's online mode.

This might be limited to the gamepass version.

Sounds more like DLSS trying to pull some AI optimized texture from the network, without internet it just gives up and deals with it offline

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That’s not how DLSS works. Plus it happens regardless of whether DLSS is on or off.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

DRM, anti cheat? Who knows what causes it but unplugging my ethernet cable gets me about 20-30 fps.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

for awhile hunt showdown had a bug where it was sending a steam API request every single frame which affected performance. could be something along those lines.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

spaceblancmange posted:

DRM, anti cheat? Who knows what causes it but unplugging my ethernet cable gets me about 20-30 fps.

Swap the ends and see if that gives you even more fps

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Game is alright. Stealth seems to be not that important when it's possible to mow down loads of enemies if you're not caught in the open. Shooting people from a distance with the rapier seems to confuse the hell out of the ai

Kind of happy the combat isn't overly difficult outside of getting caught trying to sneak, more interested in seeing how the loop all comes together and figuring out how to get 8 kills in 4 levels

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Stealth can be extremely satisfying in Deathloop if you have a player Julianna hunting you, but she has no idea where to find you because you leave no traces of where you've been.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

As a person who has played a crap load of julianna, my recommendation to deal with her as a Colt is this.
Get spotted by the npcs to give your opponent your location, and leave a trap for her. If you have Aether with Ghost, it's a lot easier. All you really need to do is get the jump on her once.

Charlie's double shotgun is amazing in close quarters.

Alternately, spend some time doing the PVP as julie, see what it's like from the other side.

Proximity mines x2 right next to each other will kill almost any opponent in any circumstance. Just lure them into it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tenasscity posted:

As a person who has played a crap load of julianna, my recommendation to deal with her as a Colt is this.
Get spotted by the npcs to give your opponent your location, and leave a trap for her. If you have Aether with Ghost, it's a lot easier. All you really need to do is get the jump on her once.

Charlie's double shotgun is amazing in close quarters.

Alternately, spend some time doing the PVP as julie, see what it's like from the other side.

Proximity mines x2 right next to each other will kill almost any opponent in any circumstance. Just lure them into it.
2x proxies on Colt's glowy corpse is hilarious and works more than it has any right to and the glow and noise can hide the warnings of the proxies.

Seconding Charlie's autoshotgun since it comes with Snare which can be really nice for PvP. As Colt your main advantage is your number of lives, which means forcing a close range definitive fight is in your favor, which means rushing with a shotgun or machete. I loaded my shotgun with Mindleech too, since it was basically there for PvP but could be used for PvE in a pinch. Mindleech, Hailfire, and...either lightning strike or big box, I can't recall. Either way, it was set up as a "kill Juliana now" button.

Aether is also a great PvP power, especially paired with Rapier or the sniper rifle with a chargeup trait. I used it more as Juliana than Colt just because I really liked Nexus for Colt.

Havoc pairs really nicely with the "just loving rush them" plan.

Nexus is great for PvE, but every so often you can catch Juliana in it with someone else and just end them that way.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Something I love doing as Julianna is using Masquerade for stealth. Just holster your weapon, and walk on the main pathways or stand next to a group of Eternalists and survey the rooftops. When you find him, hold tag to alert the Eternalists, so you're just one more guy coming for him. Use the silent movement trinket so you're not given away by audio cues.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I'm looking forward to doing a replay, just have other games I need to finish first. I played a lot of Julianna, and by far the most dangerous Colts were the ones with Shift going for a machete kill. They only need to get lucky once.

Karnesis was my usual solution - no aiming required, just chain launch them straight up or out to sea, let fall damage take care of them. Bypasses the durability trinkets well kitted out Colts like to wear.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I guess I should try more Julianna, see if the lag/desync issues were temporary.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Was starting to get into the game, but it crashed twice in a couple hours of play... (ps5)

Should I wait for a patch? It was a little frustrating to lose about a half hour of progress both times.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Goldenloop content immersion report:

PRO: when paint dudes explode they leave a slick on the ground that other enemies can clown around and slip on ala candy dispensers.

CON: The new beam rifle shoots clean through glass except the windshield glass over Harriet during her speech (haven’t yet tried against Frank in the recording booth)

PRO: There’s a reason to do the Yharva now

CON: Most other puzzles still have underwhelming content attached.

The Fugue slab is… well it seems situational. Useful but doesn’t really do anything a silencer / long range weapon doesn’t essentially achieve.

Also has the distant mansion visible from Condition Detachment always been there? It’s on the island maps as Berezin Manor or some such. Hope for more Deathloop seems marginal but I’d like to believe.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

Also has the distant mansion visible from Condition Detachment always been there? It’s on the island maps as Berezin Manor or some such. Hope for more Deathloop seems marginal but I’d like to believe.

That's Julianna's home from the intro, it has always been there.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Smdh, Arkane you rascals

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I beat the game again. One thing I've never been sure of was whether the Visionaries intended that they or the other Eternalists reset their memories every day. It was a frustration for Wenjie and hinders the whole "reaching the limits of human potential and enlightenment" thing, but it does sidestep an eternity of despair, kinda. Being happy to know that you're going to eternally relive the same party for the first time so it'll never get boring makes a twisted sort of sense, or that you won't have to remember that you're destined to be killed the same way. There's dialogue where Julianna says it's better for them to not remember, that makes it sound unintentional.

On the ending:
I thought the sky was weird around Blackreef as a result of the broken Anomaly, but now we can see that the ocean around them has dried up? I thought the original ending where Colt was left having to figure out what to do with his life was in keeping with the game's themes, if a bit short and not flashy. Adding that they have to do all that while also stranded in a desolate future or alternate dimension muddies that. Everyone seems like a "reasonable" amount of distressed or relieved over the loop being broken and the sky being weird, but not for the ocean also being gone.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

I beat the game again. One thing I've never been sure of was whether the Visionaries intended that they or the other Eternalists reset their memories every day.

it's pretty clear that they didn't. the memory reset is an unforeseen side effect of the loop that's basically mental stack overflow - everyone in the loop retained too many memories of the endless day until they lost everything all at once, and could no longer remember anything between the loops. the only exceptions are julianna, who learned some kind of mental technique that let her "compress" excess memories, and fia, who's so blitzed out of her mind that she's able to vaguely dream about what happened in previous loops. it's also why rexly is able to remember, because she eventually just started killing herself at the start of every loop and it prevented her brain from filling up too much

wenjie was able to figure out the memory loss (and also that the loop might theoretically collapse and blow up the entire solar system), but doesn't share her findings with anyone

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Dr Christmas posted:

On the ending:

My take (not backed by any firm statements, but consistent with plot):

I think this loop is just akin to the billionaires who will get on the space shuttle to escape a collapsing earth. Something bad was going to happen, and these assholes saw it as an inconvenience to their greatness. They're not just trying to indulge, they were going to lose the ability to indulge their ego in the real world.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

On the ending:
I thought the sky was weird around Blackreef as a result of the broken Anomaly, but now we can see that the ocean around them has dried up? I thought the original ending where Colt was left having to figure out what to do with his life was in keeping with the game's themes, if a bit short and not flashy. Adding that they have to do all that while also stranded in a desolate future or alternate dimension muddies that. Everyone seems like a "reasonable" amount of distressed or relieved over the loop being broken and the sky being weird, but not for the ocean also being gone.
You could make that out in the original ending too but it feels more explicit now. With them having now stated as well that the game is intended as a Dishonored sequel it feels pretty clear that the Dishonored world has gone very wrong after the end of Death of the Outsider lol

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Wafflecopper posted:

Anyone you invade has invasions turned on by choice. They are literally asking for it.

The first time I got invaded I had no idea what was going on. After a few minutes I saw what I thought was an NPC acting really strange, jumping around a lot in a way that none of the other characters ever did. So I just stood there watching wondering what it was, I had no idea it could be another player. Then I got headshotted.

As soon as I discovered I could that off I did.

Stoatbringer fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 10, 2022

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Broke the Loop last night. Turned invasions off for most of it causes I'm an Old Baby. I liked the game overall. It was like Immersive Sim Tapas. Just little nibbles I can take at my pleasure.

Did I miss a lore bit on why the Visionaries are tied to the Loop's functionality?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

GigaPeon posted:

Broke the Loop last night. Turned invasions off for most of it causes I'm an Old Baby. I liked the game overall. It was like Immersive Sim Tapas. Just little nibbles I can take at my pleasure.

Did I miss a lore bit on why the Visionaries are tied to the Loop's functionality?

Wenjie injected the Visionaries with time stuff in order to turn them into anchors to stabilize the loop.
https://deathloop.fandom.com/wiki/Anchoring_the_Loop

I had invasions turned on for a while, then I got to trying to open the door in Updaam that requires the Class Pass from Fristad Rock to get, and was constantly getting invaded in either or both zones back-to-back while I had my powers and extra lives off, so I turned invasions off and didn’t look back.

coiol
Dec 16, 2004

I dress like a girl and drink like a man. Please date-rape me.
Finished the game yesterday after never having played any Assassin’s Creed, Hitman, Thief, etc. stealth games before. Not sure what to make of the story because I skipped through all of the memos and recordings but I liked that there seemed to be multiple viable playstyles.

Played most of it sniping with the rapier (and sniping with the smg before that), but for the last 25% switched to mostly knife with the heal on kill perk and invis and that seemed to work better with big groups of stronger enemies. Tried a few combinations of the slabs too and realized near the end that fugue + making enemies fight each other + spreading on death is the easiest way of clearing any area.

The difficulty was a bit spiky and I almost gave up at the beginning when I kept dying before you unlock the ability to carry anything over, and after like 15 times of trying to kill Aleksis without revealing myself to get the story progression, even though I killed him many times. Eventually found the chocolate beer thing but still not sure how you’re supposed to get to the music thing without alerting anyone and failing.

Gave up on the multiplayer part after three in a row completely invisible people (both Juliannas and Colts) that I never saw a single time nor saw a single trace of until dying a few minutes later, not really that fun :confuoot: Maybe because I was coming in late and the only people still playing are more advanced?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I can’t even imagine earnestly going for stealth in Deathloop the way you would in any savescum game. You’ve really got to approach it like Sekiro or Ghost of Tsushima - if you can make it through an area with stealth, great. But odds are that it’ll turn out to be an alpha strike of greater or lesser effect, after which you go HAM. And that’s fine! Fun, even

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I'm a few hours into this and could use help understanding the premise. It's Groundhog Day, I got that, but is everyone Bill Murray or just Colt and Julianna? Do the visionaries retain their memories too? (at least canonically, not necessarily in practice)

Also, the first time I died a non-scripted death (not the scripted death by getting dropped by the other Colt(???)) I woke up in Updaam at night? It wasn't a reprise, I actually lost all my lives. Aren't you supposed to reset back to the beach in the morning? That's what happened the next time I died.

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 26, 2023

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Only Colt and Julianna are aware of the loops. Everyone else is operating under the assumption it hasn't happened yet.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah that threw me too. The Visionaries are important, but they're cursed too and don't remember what's happened. Everyone thinks they're about to start the loop experiment except Cole and Juliana.

There's also some indications, IIRC, that this is confined to the island. They're not resetting the entire world...can anyone verify this?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Thanks y'all, that clears that up.

It gets mentioned near the beginning that it's just the island I think.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Edit: nah nvm

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

coiol posted:

Gave up on the multiplayer part after three in a row completely invisible people (both Juliannas and Colts) that I never saw a single time nor saw a single trace of until dying a few minutes later, not really that fun :confuoot: Maybe because I was coming in late and the only people still playing are more advanced?

It's a combination of the people who play MP really know it, but also the netcode is pretty awful. When I tried it, probably 90% of the time it was unplayable due to lag/packet loss.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Evil Kit posted:

Only Colt and Julianna are aware of the loops. Everyone else is operating under the assumption it hasn't happened yet.

I thought wenjie sort of knew they were looping but didn't remember every day

And the one NPC who figured it out by putting a code to her apartment somewhere in the afternoon and when Colt shows up in morning she knows the loop is active?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Evil Kit posted:

Everyone else*

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

One thing that appears to be Key in not forgetting that you are looping seems to be dying, violently and frequently. One reason Julie is mad at Colt and revels in killing him is that Colt did the same to her. He killed her over and over until things started to click for her. Then she got good at killing, enjoys it, and now kills Colt over and over in hopes that he gets his ability to remember back as well. It's one reason she gets excited when Colt does something unexpected, then she shifts from 'Im gonna kill you again' to 'Hey this place is paradise, let's just keep killing poo poo because assassin-style groundhog day is heaven.'

I do enjoy this game, my biggest sadness is that they obviously had more content planned, it seems like it was a victim of "we had too big a scopp, let's cut things and get it out the door."

Almost all the complaints I see about the game can be due to content cut for time.

Edit: I have hundreds of successful PVP matches played as both colt and Julie on Steam and Xbone. If anyone wants advice, hit me up.

Tenasscity fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 27, 2023

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
if the loop only has influence over the island then how come the weather and the clouds in the sky far away from the island are the same every day? checkmate, bill murray

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pick Rexly seemed like she should be an extremely important character as a surprise third person who is aware of the loop, and it felt like a major development in the setting to encounter her, and then they just didn’t do anything at all with her

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

ilmucche posted:

figuring out how to get 8 kills in 4 levels

It's so glorious when it all comes together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Pick Rexly seemed like she should be an extremely important character as a surprise third person who is aware of the loop, and it felt like a major development in the setting to encounter her, and then they just didn’t do anything at all with her

drat, makes Pickle Rixly sound like a metaphor for the game as a whole