Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

KungFu Grip posted:

All wrestling chants are memes

i dont disagree, but ill take the tropes of wrestling chants over chants literal memes from the internet every day of the week. also, don't bother getting good seats, they don't reserve them and it's just a free for all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Choom Gangster posted:

i dont disagree, but ill take the tropes of wrestling chants over chants literal memes from the internet every day of the week. also, don't bother getting good seats, they don't reserve them and it's just a free for all

I mean that’s how PWG was forever and it was still the most fun wrestling show I have been to.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

the crowd sounds like a normal indy crowd to me and i cannot agree with the carolina shows i liked them quite a bit. I cant see this poo poo live so that dosent bother me.

Grainbarn
Jul 2, 2007

What the fuck did I do?

The_Rob posted:

I mean that’s how PWG was forever and it was still the most fun wrestling show I have been to.

I miss legion hall pwg so much. :(

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Grainbarn posted:

Man I do too. Every single day. The globe is a neat venue, but nothing beat that lovely legion hall in over 100 degree heat.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Breaks my heart how many lovely little indie venues that felt like the center of the universe have been shut down. :( Furious sweaty concrete "arenas" are the best. I miss Rockstar Pro's punk rock warehouse every drat day.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Can we get an example of a meme chant? I want to decide if it's more annoying than "both these guys"

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Grainbarn posted:

the legion hall was my original indie venue, i went to a decade of pwg, including the likely last show. i love that vibe, but that's not whats up at a dpw show, i promise. the gcw vibe is much more like a east coast pwg crowd to me, and in la, it;s all the same fuckin people anyway lol. the ringside barriers make that kind of vibe much less likely. pwg was rear end in a top hat to elbow and full contact, dpw shows are three rows spread out in the middle of a much larger room, completely different vibe.

i didnt dislike the shows, but they didn't give me any reason to come back. i will waste a lot of time and money on a fun wrestling trip and the dpw shows just didnt have it for me

i completely understand if you only watch online and never actually go to a show tho. i like live wrestling too much to do that, but i get not caring if it's just a stream. and ill give it to dpw, their shows look a lot better on stream

Gumball Gumption posted:

Can we get an example of a meme chant? I want to decide if it's more annoying than "both these guys"

i dont remember them all, but i recall "this poo poo fucks" being a constant, and it was awful. a lovely throwaway joke from a show that ended a decade ago ain't it. there were a bunch more, but tbh, i probably just look like a grumpy prick at this point. i go to, on average, one indie show a week, and have attended pretty much every company you can think of; i promise i love indie wrestling, just not dpw yet

Choom Gangster fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 11, 2024

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Choom Gangster posted:

the legion hall was my original indie venue, i went to a decade of pwg, including the likely last show. i love that vibe, but that's not whats up at a dpw show, i promise. the gcw vibe is much more like a east coast pwg crowd to me, and in la, it;s all the same fuckin people anyway lol. the ringside barriers make that kind of vibe much less likely. pwg was rear end in a top hat to elbow and full contact, dpw shows are three rows spread out in the middle of a much larger room, completely different vibe.

i didnt dislike the shows, but they didn't give me any reason to come back. i will waste a lot of time and money on a fun wrestling trip and the dpw shows just didnt have it for me

i completely understand if you only watch online and never actually go to a show tho. i like live wrestling too much to do that, but i get not caring if it's just a stream. and ill give it to dpw, their shows look a lot better on stream

i dont remember them all, but i recall "this poo poo fucks" being a constant, and it was awful. a lovely throwaway joke from a show that ended a decade ago ain't it. there were a bunch more, but tbh, i probably just look like a grumpy prick at this point. i go to, on average, one indie show a week, and have attended pretty much every company you can think of; i promise i love indie wrestling, just not dpw yet

I do not think you need to feel bad for thinking an indie crowd was annoying.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Choom Gangster posted:

Holy poo poo that's way more annoying. Garbage chant

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I’ve been going to Indy shows since I was like 15 and Lemme tell you. The crowds are all annoying as hell.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
21 years later, Colby Corino and Masato Tanaka renew their legendary rivalry.

Even though Colby is only 27.

https://twitter.com/deadlockpro/status/1767263775407648984
https://twitter.com/ColbyCorino/status/1767265060345319818
https://twitter.com/KrisZellner/status/1497693605095428099

EDIT: IDK why Kris's tweet isn't embedding, but it's 6 year old Colby saving his dad and Tom Howard from Tanaka and Shinjiro Otani.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

The_Rob posted:

I’ve been going to Indy shows since I was like 15 and Lemme tell you. The crowds are all annoying as hell.

I bring my kids to shows and I just let them go wild bc they're still often the best behaved people in the room

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

All the superindies suck but dpw in particular has bad vibes

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

davidbix posted:

EDIT: IDK why Kris's tweet isn't embedding, but it's 6 year old Colby saving his dad and Tom Howard from Tanaka and Shinjiro Otani.

Better point than any Hulk Hogan has ever done

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Big Dave posted:

All the superindies suck but dpw in particular has bad vibes

Vibes is the worst term to start getting used all the time in the last few years. Vibes aren't real. Pick something real that is bad and apply that, then stick to your guns. It's like saying "oh well they're an Aries and you know what that means"

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

every indy show has bad vibes because you know the promotor is screwing the wrestlers

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

american legion ftw

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

My local indie is debuting a new match type at their next show in a couple of weeks, looking forward to someone forgetting the rules and getting dqed like Dean Malenko did that one time

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

SG Bamboo posted:

My local indie is debuting a new match type at their next show in a couple of weeks, looking forward to someone forgetting the rules and getting dqed like Dean Malenko did that one time

So a competitor can win only by submitting or knocking out their opponent... or throwing them out of the ring?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Hardcore rumble rules then

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Lamuella posted:

So a competitor can win only by submitting or knocking out their opponent... or throwing them out of the ring?

Their opponent will be dqed but they will not win

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

That seems like a great idea. Either it will be a great match or one of the wrestlers will instinctively roll out and screw it up which will be really funny.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Gumball Gumption posted:

That seems like a great idea. Either it will be a great match or one of the wrestlers will instinctively roll out and screw it up which will be really funny.

That happened once in (of course) WCW.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQuWDPHnuKc

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Numero6 posted:

That happened once in (of course) WCW.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQuWDPHnuKc

I've never seen this but it's exactly what I was imagining. Dude decides to go for a rest spot, rolls out, lmao happens from there.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SG Bamboo posted:

needs a gallon of baby oil poured onto the floor

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHX36rkFHZQuPsyEwxPaoL-Z4H1EwQ1ev

Our most recent show is fully up on Youtube now. I edited, color corrected, and made the lower-third graphics for all of it.

Lots of great talent coming out of the PNW. Defy/Prestige fans should recognize most of the card.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Speaking of Indie Crowds; I think Enjoy has one of the better one's because a lot of the people there are there for the spectacle of it and aren't like going to watch mainstream wrestling week to week. Or as my friend who I've gotten to go to the shows eloquently said to me "To be honest I'm not really here for the wrestling, but the Lesbian violence and hot trans people in the ring/the crowd". The crowd doesn't really do the usual meme chants you see at indie shows. The Odyssey was a great show, sure the wrestling can be clunky when it's more the locals, but I was happy to see a bunch of the wrestlers who are trainees at MV Young's school get their first big shine. It does suck things got derailed for the plans for the tag titles because Gummiboar lost their booking due to abuse allegations with Erica Leigh and Killian McMurphy accusing each other which again sucks (and seems very much a "you two seem to be really toxic to one another" situation). Lee Moriarty and Mikey Montgomery had a killer match, wish I was able to see it better but had to be in the back in a chair due to recovering from Orchiectomy still.

https://twitter.com/AchillesF6/status/1766893838084243700
https://twitter.com/AchillesF6/status/1768299517474959812
Some pics from it

Excited May 5th they got a free show for Cinco De Mayo at the South Side Works (Tacomania)

And REALLY excited for June 16th for Immaculate where they are doing it at Stage AE which honestly is make or break for them since that venue is where ROH/NXT would run shows.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

achillesforever6 posted:

It does suck things got derailed for the plans for the tag titles because Gummiboar lost their booking due to abuse allegations with Erica Leigh and Killian McMurphy accusing each other which again sucks (and seems very much a "you two seem to be really toxic to one another" situation).

Excited May 5th they got a free show for Cinco De Mayo at the South Side Works (Tacomania)

And REALLY excited for June 16th for Immaculate where they are doing it at Stage AE which honestly is make or break for them since that venue is where ROH/NXT would run shows.

I wasn't able to go to last week's show but that sucks about Gummiboar; their match with the Runway a while back kicked rear end and they would have been great tag champs.

Tacomania kicked rear end last year, excited to fill myself with booze and tacos and watch outdoor wrestling. Running Stage AE is huge for them, hopefully it goes well. I remember seeing NXT shows there years ago and it's still a really good venue for wrestling, plus being that close to the city means I can plan a whole day around the show.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Oh that explains why I saw Gummiboar dropped from a card around here with zero explanation. That sucks for Boar, he sort of reminds me of a lesser Hallowicked, just an all around solid guy in the ring, who seems to deserve better than what he’s getting (and yes, I know Hallowicked chose not to do anything bigger). Teaming with Erica seemed to be a good way to give him more personality

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/JoshLBarnett/status/1768713900906983913

Shayna Baszler will be at Bloodsport X.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

achillesforever6 posted:

Speaking of Indie Crowds; I think Enjoy has one of the better one's because a lot of the people there are there for the spectacle of it and aren't like going to watch mainstream wrestling week to week. Or as my friend who I've gotten to go to the shows eloquently said to me "To be honest I'm not really here for the wrestling, but the Lesbian violence and hot trans people in the ring/the crowd". The crowd doesn't really do the usual meme chants you see at indie shows. The Odyssey was a great show, sure the wrestling can be clunky when it's more the locals, but I was happy to see a bunch of the wrestlers who are trainees at MV Young's school get their first big shine. It does suck things got derailed for the plans for the tag titles because Gummiboar lost their booking due to abuse allegations with Erica Leigh and Killian McMurphy accusing each other which again sucks (and seems very much a "you two seem to be really toxic to one another" situation). Lee Moriarty and Mikey Montgomery had a killer match, wish I was able to see it better but had to be in the back in a chair due to recovering from Orchiectomy still.

https://twitter.com/AchillesF6/status/1766893838084243700
https://twitter.com/AchillesF6/status/1768299517474959812
Some pics from it

Sorry, what allegations? I definitely missed this! They're both mainstays at one of my local indies, so that's a real bummer to hear.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Endless Mike posted:

Sorry, what allegations? I definitely missed this! They're both mainstays at one of my local indies, so that's a real bummer to hear.
CW: DA
https://twitter.com/theshooterkm/status/1765338288523518084

https://twitter.com/EricaWrestles/status/1765739196767957495

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 15, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I went to see a local indie show in Finland again, this time it was an FCF Wrestling show here in my hometown. Never been to one of their shows before, but I'll definitely go again if they turn up. Very nice atmosphere and the crowd was very diverse, which was definitely not by accident. Their promotion's motto is "Pro Wrestling Belongs to Everyone", and the ring announcer leads the whole crowd in saying it before and after shows. They also state outright in their pre-show rules that there is an absolute zero tolerance on bigotry and abuse of any kind. You love to see it.

The venue was the so called "Theater Pit", which is the home venue of the University's theater arts program. It was a really cool small venue, and took in the biggest crowd ever for a FCF show outside Helsinki, still in the low hundreds. But the show sold out in minutes, so they're looking at a bigger venue for their return.

Show was fun. Most of the wrestlers were obviously very rough, but everyone was giving it their all. A few of the guys were surprisingly good, also. Everyone clearly loved the hot as poo poo crowd. It's always fun to see heels desperately trying to suppress grins as they get MASSIVE reactions for very basic stuff. Nothing but the biggest respect to everyone involved, you're not wrestling in front of 250 people in Finland to get rich.

The main event was Finnish wrestling legends Paini-Weikot vs The Brand. The Paini-Weikot are basically two "what if Stone Cold was a loveable buffoon instead" dudes and The Brand are two rich guys from the top heel group. The match was a hardcore texas tornado match, and once again, nothing but respect to four guys who took a loving beating in front of 250 people. Also, I have to say that chair shots sound a lot more brutal when you're sitting a couple of meters away.

Here's a Van Terminator from the match:

https://i.imgur.com/Axwk8Vy.mp4

and the finish

https://i.imgur.com/35VfNPd.mp4

As an aside, the Paini-Weikot had as their entrance theme Van Halen's Panama, except the chorus was their catchphrase, "Hiiohoi". It was really fun and after the first chorus the whole crowd picked up on it and sang along, which is pretty remarkable in Finland. Another fun point was that there was a guy who was basically doing Ryo Mizunami's Aniki gimmick, except he was a huge man -- but the same "fun loving big brother" gimmick complete with an entrance attire that was also basically a copy of Aniki's. Gotta love the indies!

Anyway, support your local indies, live pro wrestling is awesome even if it's the muddiest of indie mud shows.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/WrestlingNewsCo/status/1768739808573002077

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

This is the worst way to discover that Bubba The Love Sponge is somehow still a thing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

This is the worst way to discover that Bubba The Love Sponge is somehow still a thing.

Bubba is completely broke, he's on Twitch and a tiny low power AM station. He's basically reduced to doing whatever youtube content he can think of to desperately make money including the saddest fast food reviews you can imagine. He even had to get rid of his beloved Super Duty for an old Mercury.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

MassRafTer posted:

Bubba is completely broke, he's on Twitch and a tiny low power AM station. He's basically reduced to doing whatever youtube content he can think of to desperately make money including the saddest fast food reviews you can imagine. He even had to get rid of his beloved Super Duty for an old Mercury.

Never betray the Hulkster, brother!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Choom Gangster posted:

it's funny that you say this, because i went to their doubleshot in north carolina a few weeks ago and it was exceptionally mid. the roster is pretty good, but barring the two recent nxt departures, you can see all of that talent elsewhere in front of a less perpetually online crowd (they chant memes ffs) and in probably better matchups. feels very much the same to me as wrestling revolver or any other tna-lite indie

I've gone to every DPW show in Raleigh/Durham in the last year and the only one that I was cool on was the Saturday night show of the doubleshot, which was still "fine." (Oh yeah, and No Pressure last May, because that's where I finally caught COVID.) Had a blast with the Sunday show, though.

I like the crowd atmosphere overall, the occasional meme chant is a fine trade-off if it means people are staying active and invested the whole show. Only one regular chant annoys me, which is doing the LA Knight "Yeah" when the ref is counting, but I hate that one a lot.

Choom Gangster posted:

also, don't bother getting good seats, they don't reserve them and it's just a free for all

This is true, though it's been kind of venue/show dependent. They've had staff checking wristbands and directing people to their "assigned" seats at more recent Armory and Convention Center shows, which didn't happen at all at either of the fairground shows. Plus that was compounded by everybody cramming into the building's tiny lobby well before the box office opened to get out of the cold, which created a real cluster when they did start ticketing and there were no distinct lines (or room to start them.)

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MassRafTer posted:

Update: Bubba is now driving a Crown Victoria instead of a Mercury.