Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://twitter.com/ThisIs_Progress/status/1658399847211212801

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Going to see Ishii live :toot:
https://twitter.com/RevProUK/status/1681658268932767744

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Chris James 2 posted:

The audible "yo, that's the opener...guess we gotta go home now"

That's why you make the biggest guy your main eventer.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Emi says that she wants to perform at Wembley next year and everyone laughs.

:smith:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://twitter.com/ThisIs_Progress/status/1700543478617305526?s=20

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Saw my first Finnish indie-show in (literally) 20 years. The last time they hadn't had time to train even a single local talent.

This was the second annual Northern Queens event and featured exclusively women and non-binary folks. They had two late cancellations (illness & ???), but managed to save the situation by turning a tag match into singles. They had managed to get some relative well-known names (Max the Impaler and Allie Katch, not sure about the others) and based on some FB posts this was one of the most "star-studded" shows around here.

As I haven't followed the local scene at all, I was somewhat worried about two things: wrestling being embarrassingly bad and audience being embarrassingly silent (as Finnish crowds tend to be). Wrestling ended up being adequate and the crowd was pretty good. About 250 people (by my estimation), no awkward silent moments, and everyone was generally cheering actively for the babyfaces and joining the basic chants, fun times, although could be better. Gender ratio was close to 50:50 which was pretty cool. Also nice to see that the promotion is heavily emphasizing anti-bigotry. Not exactly given in such a niche scene.

The first match (Stella :finland: vs. Ava Everett :911:) wasn't technically very good with some weak offense from both, but the crowd was into it and Ava managed to heel it up to keep the audience in the match.
During the break Max the Impaler came to kill local geeks and stole the smallest girl, who was never seen again.
Allie Katch :911: vs. Nightshade :britain: was slightly better than the other two undercard matches, although Allie's kind-of-constantly-sexual-assaultish offensive is pretty sketchy.
Nikita vs. Nina Samuels :britain: was quite fun with a small local babyface overcoming foreign bully heel, even if it was a bit botchy.

The main event between Regina Rosendahl :finland: vs. Max the Impaler :911: was legit pretty decent match and clearly the MOTN. A classic battle between the local ace and a huge foreign monster. Max's NWA title was on the line, so the winner was forgone conclusion, but it was nice hard-hitting brawl with some funny ref-scaring hijinks. While Regina was super popular, the crowd dynamics could have been better as Max didn't really get any heel heat because the crowd generally liked them. During the finish the ref didn't count the three, which is always a letdown, but at least he immediately called the bell, so they didn't have to do awkward extra spot.

I had good time, have to check their other shows later this year.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 30, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
My second contemporary Finnish indie-show. Unlike the last one a couple weeks ago, this was all local talent, so a lot more storylines and build-up for the big December show. Nothing too fancy and they were good at initiating the newbies.

-Slightly smaller venue, about 150 people, but it was sold out.

-The main heel stable being cream/cum themed is appropriately disgusting/lame.

-Two debuts, both took a beating. Looking forward to see them growing up.

-The local Kane/Abyss ersatz was pretty fun.

-The main event was a six team gauntlet for the number one contender spot. I'm a hater of gauntlet matches, but it works in this kind of non-weekly promotion, where showcasing the tag division is more interesting than having sensible fair competition.

-The MVP of the show was Alfa, a two-meter tall bulky guy, who first killed a heel debutant and then came as a replacement to the tag gauntlet and ended up being in the winning team.

-Fun times again. Two more shows this year.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 14, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
My third excursion to the 2020's Finnish indie scene tonight.

Before buying the tickets I was kind of getting the "I've already seen them twice, is it really worth it?" vibes, but turned out it was really fun show, and my favorite so far.

Sold out again, a bit under 200 people, apparently the last show at this venue.

Arrived early this time and picked up a front row seat, which was a good choice. Got a couple nice interactions with the talent and generally a good mood show. The personal highlight was being able to scold Jessica Love when she sat next to me after her mischievous hijinks (she has more cred than the most around here, considering that she has wrestled Kana, Emi Sakura, Tajiri and Ultimo Dragon back in the day).

The new debutante, Mimosa, was really impressing. Six feet tall (seemed legit or close) and was more comfortable in the ring than 90% of the green girls I've seen.

Kind of unfortunate that I've seen three shows this fall and every time time their top champion Regina Rosendahl has lost. Granted, the first one was against a foreign star, the second was a makeshift match due to an illness and featured heavy cheating, and this time her tag partner was pinned, but from my personal point of view she's currently a weak champion. Hoping for a good showing in the annual big show in December

Kennel fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 18, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Ok, that time of the month again, my drunken review of a Finnish indie show.

The biggest show of the year, now branded with a new name Routapiste (referring frozen ground), I don't know for a fact, but I presume that the old name Talvisota (Winter War) was deemed too nationalistic (chuddy) by the current regime. Fine by me, I always felt that the old name was a bit iffy.

The show was sold out, for the third time in a row, this time at a bigger venue (a bit under 300 people) and according to them, the fastest sold out show in the promotion's 17 year history (although, I don't know if the earlier ones were comparable, and if they had a larger venue).

Now, after four shows I think I can make a mildly well-informed review of the local scene. The general in-ring talent is fine. There hasn't been really lousy matches and almost everything is performed at an acceptable level, but I don't think there's anyone who could get over in America with in-ring performance alone. That said, it's good enough. The crowd is very cooperative and the atmosphere gets quite rowdy when a popular babyface is pounding the heel. Nothing too fancy, but it works.

I've actually followed the second level hockey lately and the mood it's kind of similar. The talent isn't there, but it can be exciting, if you want it to be exciting.

The way the matches are agented is honestly really solid. I don't know how they do things here and if there's one or several guys and how much it's up to the wrestlers etc., but what is visible to me is really good. I feel like almost all the matches I've seen has had the correct amount of time, an easily followable story and a logical finish.

Today's show had again a couple of changes because of illness and injury. The most unfortunate was that the main champion Regina Rosendahl had hosed up her knee in a Swedish show and had to relinquish the title after 200 days. The main event was fortunately booked to be a threeway and ended up being really good with the two remaining contestants, so at least it wasn't a complete tragedy. Regina gave a tear-jerking promo and I feel really bad for her. It's going to be a long recovery for someone who isn't paid a lot to do this.

Overall the show had decent matches, but the booking ended up being pretty quite depressing. The babyfaces won only two matches (out of 7, I think) and only one of those wins was a feel-good victory. The other babyface win had an abused heel tag team member finally turning on his partner, but then getting dick punched and eating the pin in the most unsatisfying way. It all could have been saved if the crowd's favorite SAN would have won the main event, but in the end the main heel stable successfully defended the tag titles, won the "money in the bank" and also grabbed the heavyweight championship, ugh.

My handpicked favorite rookie Mimosa was in a battle royale and did quite impressive power bomb on the biggest dude in the ring, so that was great.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Defy and Progress combining

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

As an aside, the Paini-Weikot had as their entrance theme Van Halen's Panama, except the chorus was their catchphrase, "Hiiohoi". It was really fun and after the first chorus the whole crowd picked up on it and sang along, which is pretty remarkable in Finland. Another fun point was that there was a guy who was basically doing Ryo Mizunami's Aniki gimmick, except he was a huge man -- but the same "fun loving big brother" gimmick complete with an entrance attire that was also basically a copy of Aniki's. Gotta love the indies!

Yah, Alfa is my favorite and Paini-Weikot are good at getting over with the crowd.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The presale for Rev Pro Anniversary show a day before All In is live.
https://www.revolutionprowrestling.com/12yearpresale

The only announced match is Luke Jacobs challenging for the championship.

Snagged a second row seat.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Finnish indie update (FCF 2024/04/13)

I missed four last minor shows since December (two in Helsinki and two in the hinterlands), but it was easy to get into the flow and they had an informative video package before the show. Another sold-out show, might have been the 8th in the row, or at least the 4th I participated. Good stuff, even if they are in 200-300 range.

(Always fun to chat with the middle-aged women in the queue before the show, because they're guaranteed to be relatives of the performers)

Like the last show I participated, this was unfortunately a heel heavy show, and clearly building up for the big spring show before the summer break. One of the crowd favorites, The San, lost because of a Eddie Guerrero chair spot disqualification, which is pretty overused in general and very lame when the heel does it. Another big grudge match between King Kong Karhula and Prinssi Make ended with a double CO, clearly setting up a rematch for the next show. Additionally in the main even, the most beloved tag team, Paini-Weikot lost and has to disband, but at least it seems that they're setting up Jake "Vitun" Luupää to win the Finnish Championship.

But yeah, while there was plenty of non-great booking stuff, most of the actual wrestling was fine and my favorite, Alfa, won the tag team championship with his mystery partner (returning Viktor Tykki), which was easily the highlight of the show. A British wrestler Livvii Grace was a rare foreign guest, she tagged with the ultimate underdog babyface Stella and was pretty good, even though they ate a loss.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Dang, I just learned that FCF's big Finnish spring show sold out already six weeks before the event (300 seats, I believe). They might have to start looking for a bigger venue for future.

Love it (but hate missing the show).