Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Saw a show with Big Cass this weekend, and man I want to give him props for at least getting back into shape. But it's so obvious he's a WWE trainee, on a 4 hour card that about half the guys don't even have cagematch entries even my girlfriend was like "Why is he so bad?" It's because he still wrestles like there's a crowd of thousands of people and stuff can be cleaned up for TV. But when everyone is basically on top of you it makes everything super obvious.

Also no idea how an indy sort of in the middle of nowhere manages to put on a 4 hour card with a ton of multi-person matches for 20 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Holy poo poo man, just got back from Bash at the Brewery. What a way for Avery Good/Dasher Hatfield to go out. Mr Touchdown showed up for his first match since 2018 and it was a banger.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

A Fancy Hat posted:

This show was great. My first Enjoy show and I absolutely loved it, a very cool welcoming vibe to the show and a nice variety of wrestling going on. Willow Nightingale is cool as hell and insanely charismatic, she was the highlight of both matches she was in.

My wife and I got there right as the doors opened and were right next to the ring, that made for a hell of a fun show.

Same, went with my S/O because we are big fans of Willow/Edith and loved it. I've seen Eel O'Neal at a few shows now and he's fun every time too. We were in the balcony basically right over the top of the entrance ramp. We would probably go again if it was closer, but we're in the Philly burbs north east of the city so it was a hike.

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah she has a lot of good gutsy matches (wrestled Fonzy from ECW last year in a hardcore match) I like when she busts out the Twin Peaks themed attire.
But yeah Lee was cool to chat with for a second

drat, I saw you around the show and thought you looked familiar. I knew you back in the day from Lordkat's group before LK lost his ever loving mind.

syzpid fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 8, 2022

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/wantedmv/status/1547602816239149058
drat a reason to go to New Kensington, don't see that often

I was at the last Wrestler's Lab show (who are co-promoting this) and while it was fun, there were definitely issues. The doors were supposed to open at 7:30 but they ended up not letting us in until almost 8. They also added a bonus match the week of the show, but seemingly they were running late by the time of the main event and it ended up being the shortest match of the night with a really weird ending out of nowhere. Hopefully this is more MV (especially considering all the other Wrestlers' Lab shows have been NYC area based) and not so much WL.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

I don't know man, I'd be all for helping MV, but I was at Wrestler's Labs last show and it was a bit of a mess. I'd probably still go again if they were in my area because I really liked the roster. Doesn't make any sense for them to go from doing shows in NYC/NJ to suddenly doing a show out near Pittsburgh.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Are there any indies actually in Philly or the Philly burbs and not South Jersey? I finally have a car and weekends off and it feels like every show is an hour/hour and a half away now.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

TheJunkyardGod posted:

I know you said not south jersey but H2O is probably only 30 minutes outside of Philly and there's also a post Chikara company in Lehigh Valley that has alot of those wrestlers.

I was living by Lansdale, now I'm closer to Hatboro. The only H20 arena show I've been to was a weeknight and it was a bit exhausting going out there and getting back after working all day. I've been to a bunch of the LVAC shows, and it's the same issue that it's a bit of a hike when it's a weeknight. I was dead on my feet for the ending of Bash at the Brewery and then I had to drive home. I was hoping maybe I was missing something and there was someone running shows in Philly, but no luck I guess.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Talking about Indy shows going on forever, went to a show that was an hour and a half away for a women's show. 5 matches, show starts at 7, figured it would be over at worst at 9.

Get there and find out that it's one owner of 2 promotions. For some reason on social media they act like the woman's promotion is a completely separate entity. Meanwhile the social media for the mens promotion let's you know that both cards will be happening. The show ran till almost midnight.

They've run like 3 more shows since then and they still dont let you know it's 2 cards if you only look at the women's promotion social media.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

achillesforever6 posted:

Excited for next month's Enjoy show, wish they had more shows instead of running 4/5 shows a year

We probably weren't going to make this, but by the time my gf and I even talked about it the balcony level we were at last time was already sold out. Hope you have a good one, Im excited to see Big Game Leroy getting a bigger stage.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

El Generico posted:

Do former WWE guys like Alex Riley and The Funkasaurus actually draw for these indies at all? Seems like a waste of cash.

I see posters proclaiming "Former WWE Superstar" that I absolutely do not recognize the name or person at all. When I look them up, they appeared on like 2 Sunday Night Heats as a Jobber. So I'm going to assume guys who got real TV time in the last decade are a pretty decent draw. I went to a show in the middle of nowhere in the last year whose biggest star was Big Cass and apparently it was the largest audience they had drawn up to that point. I think some people just like being able to see WWE stars without having to pay those prices. Or if it's somewhere that a WWE show is never going to come anywhere near. But I can't understand the draw of Tyrus/Alex Riley within throwing distance of Hempstead LI.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Skunkrocker posted:

Hi everyone. It's been a long time since I actually posted on the forums.

Just wanted to say... I'm doing the thing.

I gotta say it's pretty surreal to be able to say I'm officially a professional wrestler.

I love that you are going all in with the Skunk Rocker look!

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Probably a dumb question, considering it's listed on cagematch, but Combat Fights Unlimited is just MMA themed wrestling?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Thanks, what a weird niche to aim for.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Watched Enjoy last night, and I will admit I had never heard of or seen the Bitcoin Boyz before. Bringing them in when 3/4 of the people in the match are huge was genius. They were great and it was fun watching the other teams throw them around.

Definitely worth watching both episodes. Allie Katch had a surprisingly good match with Lee Moriaty on Episode 1.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Ganso Bomb posted:

I know Enjoy puts their stuff on YouTube (and I'm terrible at keeping up with it), but do they live stream at all too?

Nope just the episodes released on youtube.

I thought the rumble was sort of lackluster. I liked the ending and there were definitely fun moments in it. But they probably could have done it with like half the people they had in it. Also people went under the bottom rope a few times and then came back in 5-10 minutes later and it was annoying/confusing because I just assumed I missed them getting eliminated.

FWIW I am definitely hyped for the title match on the next show.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
https://mobile.twitter.com/WCProOfficial/status/1622110707507687424

Lol, no idea what happened but should have never let a fan with a megaphone in to begin with

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Suplex Liberace posted:

are those gonna end up on YouTube? Some tasty matchups

Yep, just takes a month or two.

I'm surprised no ones mentioned Masha Vs Gage in a few weeks for the GCW Championship. I'm half tempted to pay all the tolls to see it.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

The Berzerker posted:

I haven't seen GCW announce a single match yet, but it's the show on the 19th at the Opera House

This would be enough to get me to go by itself:

https://twitter.com/mashaslamovich/status/1632983276909412352

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Lumbermouth posted:

And no one’s going to go 100% and maybe get injured on a show that pays poo poo.

It’s a bummer because MLW is like the only indie that regularly runs Philadelphia anymore. Just gotta sit through Enzo and DBS Jr segments to get to the lucha factory.

High Tension Wrestling FKA Camp Leapfrog runs shows pretty regularly. They have a show this weekend, it's a mix of former Chikara people and students from Cheeseburger's school.

There's also Labor Of Love wrestling, who run charity shows every few months. It seems like it's mostly the same crew that do the LVAC Let's Hang Out shows.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Maigius posted:

I figure this may be the best place to ask: How loud is it in the 2300 Arena in Philly when a show is happening? My husband and I are going to the NJPW show, and I'm trying to reassure my dad that it won't be too loud since he's old and has damaged hearing.

I haven't been to 2300 since they renovated it, and the last show I saw there was years ago. But ear plugs are always a good idea. The amount of people i have gone to concerts with who thought they were fine without earplugs and then we left early is staggering.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I'm confused, what happened?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Time to stop calling it wrestling and just calling it performance art. I am going to be so mad if LVAC & HTW have to stop running cause of this.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Big Dave posted:

I was already planning on posting up at h2o for the whole weekend

I have only been to H20 once, and it was for a different company. It doesn't seem big enough for any halfway decent sized shows?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
LVAC's Let's Hang Out for April sold out in days. I wasn't expecting that and didn't manage to get any tickets. They don't even have a lot announced yet for the show.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I just want to say I miss Gavok's preshow summaries whenever there was a Chikara event. He was really good at summarizing the general insanity of their plot lines.

One of my favorite Indy things is when a guy is promoted as "former WWE Superstar" and you look them up and find out they were a jobber on a single Saturday Night Heat in 01. But I think I saw a new one, a wrestler promoting themselves as an "ECW Original" who I had never heard of. Turned out they wrestled 4 matches in ECW in 1998.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

itsnews posted:

Who was it??

The Prodigette when she was in ECW, although she was a Valet for over a year and didn't wrestle much. But I have absolutely no memory of her and I watched ECW pretty religiously

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I was at Labor Of Love in Philly yesterday, really good show from the regulars of the area. The big standout to me was Junior Benito. He had a 4 way match with Marcus Mathers, Ryan Mooney and Macrae Martin which was absolutely insane. He totally stole the show, was great in the ring and had a ton of charisma. He's definitely on his way to becoming a big name.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I was at Operation Dropkick Depression this weekend, and just wanted to mention it because Shea McCoy did the "OW! My HOLE!" line after taking a big bump to their backside and falling outside the ring. It made my night at least.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Two interesting retirements in the last month, Terra Calaway and Kimberlee. I always liked Terra's last of the dinosaurs gimmick, and she retired while she was still scheduled for a few matches. Kimberlee was pretty much the first woman to win a major indys main title with her Chikara Grand Championship run which happened during that period of WWE refusing to sign women wrestlers who had previously done intergender matches.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Tampa Bae posted:

parts of the US having pot be completely legal and parts of it being considered a life-ruining crime is absolutely insane

Considering it's south Georgia and it's Effy, they probably would have "found" something on him to get him in trouble.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
This 6 way for the GCW Title looks insane (just have Allie get jumped during her entrance and reappear during the last 5 minutes of the match)

https://twitter.com/GCWrestling_/status/1659664028178829312

I'm also a huge Masha fan first, so I don't care so much about the rest of the GCW drama.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Wait, Abdullah is still allowed to wrestle? Or is he just a guest? Assuming the later cause he hasn't wrestled in a decade, and the fact that he couldn't move that great when I last saw one of his matches in the late 90s.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Sticky Nate posted:

GCW is really scraping the barrel for the world title match

What? you've got a Legend in LuFisto, rising stars in Itoh and Masha, Shazza and Allysin are both solid, and there's enough talent in there to probably drag a good match out of Allie.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I was looking up some old Chikara stuff, and man I can't believe that the Devastation Corporation never became any bigger. I know Smashmaster was a pain in the rear end and had a ton of personality issues, but I really thought Blaster was going to be the second coming of Mike Awesome. The guy was huge and the way he flew around the ring was a thing of beauty. He took off 2020, but otherwise he's only wrestled 18 times since 2018. Was there ever any reason, or was he just too tied into Smashmaster to care to go out and make a bigger name for himself?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Impact released a Masha Slamovich shirt and it is the worst, most generic shirt possible especially considering most of the rest of her shirts look awesome.

https://twitter.com/shopimpactdeals/status/1668634333270405123

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I know I always say someone looks like a star in the making but it never works out that way. Regardless, I think Junior Benito is going to be a big star. The last two Labor Of Love Philly shows he has absolutely stolen the show and if you get a chance to see him definitely take the chance to. I really don't think he is going to be on the indies for a lot longer.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I only just realized next years Wrestlemania is in Philly. I am so hyped to see a crazy amount of shows in 3 days. Hopefully they do most of them near Philly and not an hour drive out.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

ZHamburglar posted:

How the hell are indies making enough money to have 4+ traveling tv performers? My friend runs an indie promotion and even with 200+ ticket sales he says he barely makes any profit. Granted the performers all get at least $75 per show guaranteed, which is good considering some lower on the card don’t get paid unless a certain amount of tickets are sold to the show in many organizations. It’s just crazy how slim the margins are in indie wrestling promotions.

Around here it's former Chikara guys doing favors for guys they trained with. I think the big push now is to get podcasts and smaller wrestling related companies (or fans with money to blow) to sponsor a wrestler to either offset some or all of the cost. It's the only thing that makes sense to me when I go to a show with some decent names on the card but they may top out at 100 people in attendance. Or you only pay the TV talent on the hope the lower end guys work for free but can make it up in Merch because the show will be better attended.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

the escape goat posted:

I wonder how much cash folks make on signed 8x10s; I would assume a decent amount?

they’re not hard to travel with, so I guess that’s the easiest money possible.

Ethan HD used to sell random comics and Funko pops at his table which always cracked me up (makes sense once you realize he owns a comic book store). It’s always cool to see a wrestler hype up their other hustles; Viva Van owns a makeup company and will bring her stuff along.

I think 8x10s are a bit weird because for the fan if you buy them before the show or at intermission they are a pain in the rear end to try to keep in decent shape. Some shows will sort of kick everyone out the second it's over cause it's a timed rental too, or wrestlers who fight before intermission will leave immediately after. I've known a few wrestlers who were excited because the 8x10 I bought was the last they had and they didn't have to lug it around anymore.

Although I say this, and meanwhile I have signed 8x10s of Masha, Pancakes & Abby Jane, Thick & Juicy 1 (Willow & Faye) and an 8x10 drawing of a baby hedgehog Willow Nightingale signed by her. But yea I usually prefer stickers and pins cause they are easier to get out of the show in decent shape. My GF loves to get shirts and weird merchandise anyone sells (last show we were at she got a Riley Sheppard sword & Jeff Cannonball drink cozy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I know some of you are in the general Philly area. LVAC is doing a wrestling show before an Iron Pigs baseball game on August 3rd. Tickets to the game (which are as low as 9 bucks) let you see the wrestling show too, and the first match they announced is World Famous Cheeseburger Vs Mike Bailey. Probably worth it just for that match.