Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
What is it with all of these stories of people at PWG shows being egregiously lovely since they started running again? I don't remember it happening close to this often pre-pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

xbilkis posted:

Everyone forgot how to behave

edit: This isn't a joke post; there seems to be a pretty consistent throughline of this in a bunch of places that involve large groups of people congregating
The people who have been lovely weren't new to PWG? They were pre-pandemic regulars?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Pinche Rudo posted:

Got to do commentary for a few matches with Veda Scott and James Kincaid for West Coast Pro. Really amazing time! Check out the replay on IWTV!

https://twitter.com/thejayrudo/status/1515175766861881347?s=21&t=-xwvfocbeZEOtsCj_HfpBg
Nice! With Bellator and Colby-Tremont going on, I turned it on during Masha-Debbie. Looking forward to seeing the whole thing and hearing your commentary. And hopefully the VOD is up ASAP so I can watch it before going to ETU tomorrow.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

SalTheBard posted:

How was the Tournament of Survival?

I won't be able to watch it for a few days but just looking at how it was overall
Excellent. All of the tournament matches were strong without being samey/repetitive or overstaying their welcomes. If you've been into GCW death match stuff lately, then it's well worth going out of your way to watch.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

LionYeti posted:

I’m guessing part of how pwg previously could and currently does get the roster they have is precisely because they aren’t on streaming services.
I'm pretty sure that there are no such restrictions at this point the way that there were during the "ROH and WWN hate each other" era.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

SalTheBard posted:

I feel like GCW has really struggled without them.
That's probably because RSP was handling most of the booking when he was around.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Bonk posted:

Taking suggestions on things to yell at ZSJ tonight at Defy
Ask him why he suddenly stopped using Twitter in the middle of June 2020.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Oil! posted:

Another consideration is how little a lot of professional wrestlers make despite being on TV and how much you can make off pictures/merch. There are some really over independent wrestlers that make a lot more than people you see on AEW a couple times a month.
Merch can also be a crapshoot, though. Fans in some regions/at some promotions' shows are more or less likely to buy merch. I went to the Catalyst show on Saturday in Brooklyn and nobody was having any luck moving merch, not even the women on the show. House of Glory crowds seem to buy more merch as NYC crowds go. And then you'll sell more merch on southern indie shows because it's such a tradition.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Oh poo poo, Pivotshare was the only place left to get a lot of the fed I worked for's stuff since a lot of the masters were taken by a bad video guy and the fed shut down during the pandemic. Luckily the episode I did commentary for was on Fite as well but I may have to pony up $5 just to grab a few shows so they don't get lost forever.
Yeah, figuring out how to download a video from a PivotShare site is trivial if you have a sub, so if there's anything you're worried about not being easily available after the subscriptions get canceled next week, now is the time to grab it.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

forkboy84 posted:

Probably Rhett Titus, guy has had a 17 year career at this point.

ROH really didn't do well by their trainees, but especially in those early years. The trainees generally only wrestled each other in short dark matches, and they were expected to be at ROH events to drive the ring truck and set up the ring so that meant that they could not take other indy bookings outside that.

Even CZW did far better by their trainees when they'd run Dojo Wars shows. But ROH basically just wanted to get the marks to pay to be trained by CM Punk or Danielson or Aries and then stopped giving a gently caress.

So Rhett Titus still being on ROH shows to this day is a minor miracle really.
It also depends on if you're separating the Baltimore ROH Dojo from the old school in Bristol that eventually got taken over by Burger as Worldwide Dojo. But either way, Burger and Titus are almost surely the answers, regardless.

I always felt that the ROH school, particularly in the early years, was a huge racket since, like you said, there were so few advancement opportunities in ROH for the students. At least when Punk was the head trainer he made a point of getting the students booked elsewhere, which I don't remember happening nearly as much under Danielson/Aries/Delirious.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

syzpid posted:

Invictus shut down over the weekend. I only went to one show that they gave me free tickets to, but I had a good time. Seemed like they had a decently sized fanbase and a lot of up & coming NYC talent. No idea what happened.
Just spitballing, but the added expenses of starting to run on the NY side of the river probably didn't help.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

syzpid posted:

Wait isn't this the place High Tension Wrestling holds their shows? I've been to 2 shows there and it's not bad. But I thought it was a Union Hall?
At least from Googling it, it's both.

Bonk posted:

What the hell is happening with CCW in New Jersey? A bunch of people are vaguetweeting about something bad that happened in the company and several top stars are vacating their belts and leaving the company because of it.
There's a lot I want to say, in part because I've been kind of bothered by how it looks like there was an attempt to frame it as a #SpeakingOut type thing when it absolutely wasn't. I dunno if this is the place to say all of it, though.

The one thing that definitely happened is that a sponsor didn't get his name mentioned alongside every wrestler he sponsored (two of the four thank you graphics fell through the cracks), he raised some hell when he wasn't refunded immediately (he WAS refunded), and it spiraled from there. Nobody has tied a name to the "stranded without a flight home" story yet, and everyone I've talked to is skeptical it really happened because that's not the kind of thing indie wrestlers ever stay quiet about.

There have definitely been some legit issues, but the vaguepost unleashed a shitstorm that would not have happened if everyone was upfront about their actual complaints.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

syzpid posted:

I have seen women's wrestlers complain that randos were just walking through their locker room because security was watching the show and refusing to help. Also saw complaints that the owner was writing paragraph long matches for the women but not men. And that the issue was misuse of sponsorship funds for specific wrestlers
The version of the security thing that I saw, at least, was one of the announcers saying a sponsor promised her they'd get security for the locker room door. When I asked her if she verified that promise with the promoter, she liked the tweet without replying. Some rando dude getting into the locker room and getting booted did happen, though.

It's a problem in general with the Ridgefield Park venue: What's used as the locker room is a smaller event space downstairs where they have Zumba classes and whatnot. It's next to the bar and the main restrooms. There have been times during men's or mixed shows where I've gone downstairs to use the restroom and the locker room door was wide open. It's absolutely something that promoters who run the venue — especially for women's shows, of course — need to address. Have a security guard, put up a screen or pipe and drape or whatever by the door, etc.

I hadn't heard the match script thing, but CCW shows proper are always all-women's shows. For their last show, they did add some weird new sub-promotion pre-show thing as part of the same ticket with a couple men's prelim matches, though, but it was new.

Bonk posted:

I mean it isn't NOT that, considering the women are being treated differently and not being protected enough. Harassment takes a lot of forms and it isn't always obvious.
Do you mean in so far as the sponsor culture is a bigger part of women's matches and shows? Or specifically the story about the guy getting into the locker room? Or both?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

syzpid posted:

Bix man, just don't defend them. More and more stuff about CCW is coming out seemingly every day. It's not like these are issues coming from small Indy wrestlers who might not be the most professional. It's coming from people that at least i would trust, Edith Surreal, Brooke Valentine, and now Steph Delander.
I wasn't defending them. I was waiting for SOMEONE to say SOMETHING substantive that wasn't just vague poo poo or playing a game of telephone. Steph did that. I'm sorry, but "a sponsor promised me X" and then refusing to clarify if the promoter did too is not reflective of the promoter. And Brooke Valentine was among those who were deliberately trying to make it seem like a sexual assault story when everyone agrees that it wasn't, so I would absolutely not include her with Steph and Edith.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Suplex Liberace posted:

drat i hope she recovers. Is that super dragon posting that or someone else?
Yeah, it's Dragon.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Big Dave posted:

Every week, yeah that's beyond. Given Drew doesn't pay the talent for the Thursday shows either I guess it's not surprising he doesn't pay production. Can't do the sponsorship scam for them
FWIW, the bolded portion isn't true. On the Wrestling Open shows, everyone gets an equal split of the gate plus their sponsorship money if someone paid to sponsor them. I don't really doubt the substance of Coral's story (though Drew sent me an angry DM for retweeting it), but the talent is absolutely paid at Wrestling Open. Basically, the idea is what's the most fair way that they can run weekly shows that more or less everyone who shows up can work a match/get reps in before a paying crowd while also making the shows sustainable enough to run weekly.

For the wrestlers who have been regulars, it's clearly helped them develop as talent. Several months back I went to a House of Glory show that Ichiban was on, and watching him live, it was very noticeable how much smoother and more polished he was in the ring than almost everyone else on the card.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MassRafTer posted:

You will miss out on your chance to see Ellsworth too.
It really is apropos for the home of the Shane Shamrock Memorial Cup.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

IceAgeComing posted:

If I had to guess 90% of imports working the US Indies are trying it on a tourist visa - and that includes Indies like WCP or GCW that are bigger and so have that higher perceived legitimacy. Some places do it but like there's a reason why Sukeban telling people low key 'we are getting visas for wrestlers' was a big story. This is primarily because US immigration law is very bad on this - to get a visa you basically have to prove why the person you are bringing in is going a job that you cannot give an American and unsurprisingly 'Japanese wrestlers are uniquely good' is not an argument you can make.
So I have SOME insight into this.

I know for sure that GCW has co-sponsored a bunch of work visas for luchadores (with DEFY and/or Masked Republic) and got a visa for Kota Ibushi on their own. I don't know any specifics for anyone beyond that, though I'd be shocked if Rina Yamashita and Maki Itoh didn't have work visas at this point. And I would think that CyberFight takes care of the DDT and TJPW visas.

I wish it was like Canada where all you need is a passport, but it's not. And even then, there have been stories of wrestlers being turned away at the Canadian border because the border guards aren't always up on the current law. I think it happened to Jake Something and some of his friends in the last month or two.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

syzpid posted:

In all the shows I have seen live in the last 4 years, which includes a few Mr Grim matches, this is the greatest thing I have seen live. I thought he was just doing a dive

https://twitter.com/Jocay19/status/1759353524381499871
Why has someone as talented as Mr. Grim been toiling away in tiny New Jersey indies for what feels like a decade with no signs of upward mobility?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

syzpid posted:

Enjoy has given him a continuing storyline for the last 2 years or so. But yea, he’s never disappointed, even saw him get a decent match out of Swole post AEW.

Meanwhile if I never have to see a Darius Carter match again I will die happy. Same poo poo every single time,
I think perception of Darius is made worse by the way he's a no middle ground guy: He's carved out such a niche for himself in NY/NJ/CT promotions that book him on top that he's booked constantly, but outside of his niche, his rep for being a crowbar and whatnot has kept him on the outside of all sorts of major indies.

I've seen enough Darius live that I think there are positives that he brings to the table, but he doesn't lean into them close to enough. Great Match Strong Style Darius doesn't usually do it for me unless he's working with a wrestling genius like Colby Corino. (I've seen them wrestle each other twice live, and both matches were fantastic while being completely different from each other.) But when he's more of a southern style character heel, I find him a lot more palatable. Like when he would team with The Carnies.

But he's probably always going to have a ceiling where people look at him as That Guy Who Concussed Pete Dunne, since that match is what he's best known for to so many people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

21 years later, Colby Corino and Masato Tanaka renew their legendary rivalry.

Even though Colby is only 27.

https://twitter.com/deadlockpro/status/1767263775407648984
https://twitter.com/ColbyCorino/status/1767265060345319818
https://twitter.com/KrisZellner/status/1497693605095428099

EDIT: IDK why Kris's tweet isn't embedding, but it's 6 year old Colby saving his dad and Tom Howard from Tanaka and Shinjiro Otani.