Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Nation Extreme Wrestling Launches in Vancouver

https://lastwordonsports.com/prowrestling/2021/07/23/nation-extreme-wrestling-launches-in-vancouver

Excited to start going to local shows again once they have something booked. I wasn't sure what was going to happen with ECCW after last year, but it looks like all the people who left after #SpeakingOut formed a new promotion entirely. I wonder if this means ECCW is dead, or if they're both going to be competing for the BC/PNW market. It doesn't seem like there's much left if it's the latter, but they had enough clout to get Jeff Cobb and Bandido the last time I went to a Ballroom Brawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
https://twitter.com/NEWWrestlingInc/status/1426274864285970432

Nation Extreme Wrestling (the place everyone went after ECCW imploded) is doing their first event in an esports arena in September. I think they built it for Vancouver's Overwatch team. Not sure how they're going to do wrestling in that format because I don't know if they do esports in the round or on a stage, but I'll probably go to that.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

ARMBAR A COP posted:

Goddamn it when is Vancouver getting some good shows again

NEW's first show is next month, but it's sold out. :( Hopefully they release more tickets, or open up seats on the day if nobody claims them.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I reached out to the promoter, asking if there might be day-of tickets released for no-shows.

quote:

Hey, thanks for reaching out. As of right now, were sold out, but... That is always a possibility and will let people know if we do open up a few stragglers...

I am certain we are going to put on a second show - we have to as far as I am concerned and sounds like the wrestlers are into it.

Keep in touch and we'll make something happen...

Rob Fai
I'll probably e-mail him again on the day, or the day before, just to check. I might just go down to Richmond and see if I can get a ticket outside.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Vancouver goons who wanted to go to the sold-out NEW show, they've added a 2pm matinee show on the same day, so get your tickets fast because the evening show sold out in less than a day.

https://newwrestling.ticketleap.com/

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
NEW (post-ECCW) in Vancouver has been posting their first couple shows on Youtube. I didn't realize they were going to be taped, but this makes me feel less guilty for not going.

Show 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m489EPzdTdw
Show 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BZEjPT0sys

[edit] Incidentally, ECCW's website just says "Returning Soon", which... I don't even know HOW. Unless there's new ownership, a complete restructuring, and a bunch of new signees, there's no way they can run shows anytime soon.

ARMBAR A COP posted:

The border is open to fully vaxxed Canadians so I'm coming to Seattle to watch as much as I can
I'm relatively sure that you'll still need a recent (72hrs) swab test to get back into Canada (plus the ArriveCAN app), but I believe there's still a free drive-thru in the parking lot of St. Vincent's for testing. The signs SAY they don't do testing for travel purposes, but you don't have to tell them that's why you need it. I just used it to fly last month.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 22, 2021

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

ARMBAR A COP posted:

You can see me making a drat fool of myself in the front row for most of those.

I haven't been able to get to any of NEW's shows yet (I'm in Van too). I really want to go to show #4 (or I guess technically #5) next month, but I'm not sure what the restrictions and my comfort level with crowds will be like by then. My last show was ECCW at the Commodore Ballroom pre-pandemic with Bandido vs Jeff Cobb headlining, and the Commodore at least had tables and balconies if you wanted to sit away from people. I'm guessing Studio isn't quite like that? I've never been.

Also really happy to see Kristopher Kassidy show up in NEW to manage some people. He's a friend of mine and used to be my fight choreography trainer before the pandemic shut down classes.

sticklefifer posted:

Originally the tournament was supposed to be semifinals leading into their first title match at NEW4, but they must have seen the writing on the wall with Omicron and done the finals at NEW3 instead.
Hell yeah, Golden Boy Travis is their first champ. Good for him.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
NEW (Canada) is adding a show on Feb 28th called Afterglow after their NEW 5 show on the 25th. I guess having to put the show numbers out of order finally got to them.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
NEW 5 is in the process of being posted. Technically their 4th numbered show, but NEW 4 had to be postponed.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfw6JkYCbX88Z0D3Adzehjvkrcd11bHOR

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

History Comes Inside! posted:

If they aren’t skipping ahead one show’s worth of storyline progression and then running 4 as though it was the missing link in between then they’ve absolutely squandered all the potential of this insistence on keeping the numbers.
Unfortunately they already had to book around that, because NEW 4 was supposed to be the second half of a two-show tournament to crown their inaugural champion, but then the venue for the second show made them postpone. Would've been a fun gimmick if not for the fact that people specifically bought tickets for the title tournament finals.

ARMBAR A COP posted:

Watch the EFFY match and almost all of the women's matches
I forgot Taya's from Victoria, but she had a match too.

NEW's production values are impressive. Way, WAY better than ECCW ever had.

Speaking of ECCW, here's Andy Bird using my old PS3 controller against Drexl from a Fans Bring the Weapons match from a few years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP9q-s9sJ8s

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

I've only been to pre-pandemic ECCW shows around here, so once I start going to live events again I'll probably get to a NEW and/or WrestleCore show.

Is WrestleCore the same as Rickshaw Wrestling? I've heard of them but never been (to the fed's shows I mean - I've been to the Rickshaw itself plenty of times).

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Yeah, I'd been posting about that here when NEW formed up last year, and it's pretty much the whole reason NEW started. ECCW's social media has claimed they'll be back at some point, but who knows. NEW has a much bigger budget (like, actual screens, lighting, and a stage), and most of the ECCW roster, so what's the point?

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Holy poo poo, I might have to get my rear end to NEW 6 in April. The announced main event is Alex Shelley vs Daniel Makabe.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

ARMBAR A COP posted:

I'll see you there

Just picked up a General Admission ticket. Ringside was tempting, but now that live events are being scheduled again I have a whole mess of other tickets I want to buy, like Henry Rollins at the Rio in May :bubblewoop:

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
drat, NEW got some BUDGET.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
It's the Harbour Convention Centre in downtown Vancouver, and that equipment is all NEW's as far as I know. They're a pretty new indie here, but they're getting fairly big names for guest spots.

Alex Shelley vs Daniel Makabe was some drat fine technical wrestling. Shelley kinda booked it out of there right after the match though, he probably had a plane to catch.

The Wisemen/State of Emergency tag title match was MOTN though, crowd went nuts for it. Then the main event title match turned into No DQ/FCA, so Travis Williams asked for chairs and the entire ringside area started filling up the ring with their seats.

The whole show should be on Youtube soon, with commentary. I'll post links once they put it up.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
NEW has started posting matches from NEW6 with commentary.

Camera angle doesn't go below the apron for whatever reason, but this tag title match kicked rear end live: State of Emergency vs The Wisemen

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Hell yeah. You going to NEW7 the night before DoN? I just got an email about it today.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I... might have to start driving down to Seattle for Defy shows. :stare:

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Really hyped for the NEW show on Friday. El Phantasmo, Bollywood Boyz, Womens TLC with Chelsea Green, and a Travis Williams/Daniel Makabe title match. :mmmhmm:

They also just signed a deal with the Commodore Ballroom in downtown Vancouver to host all their monthly numbered events through 2023, which rules. It's a great venue for indie wrestling.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Still buzzing from a Nation Extreme Wrestling show I just got home from. I got to meet Josh Alexander (who showed up unannounced for an Impact title defense), talked to El Phantasmo for a bit about Forbidden Door on Sunday (and he 2 Sweeted me), and Chelsea Green grabbed me and shoved me out of her way during a TLC match as she walked through the crowd, which I'm pretty sure is going to show up on camera once they post the show.

Kidd Bandit and Dark Sheik at next month's show. NEW is probably the best promotion in Canada right now. Whatcha got, WINNIPEG!?

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I just watched the Warrior show from May and the card was great but they focused way too much on Frank in the storylines and even cut to him during a match when he was on commentary, so I'm looking forward to Rikishi getting clown makeup all over one cheek.

NEW is steadily posting matches from their last show. I'll post a link once they have the whole thing up. You can see ARMBAR and I going nuts in the back row pretty much the whole show because we're on hard cam right by the entrance.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Dacap posted:

Imagine not liking Kidd Banditt

Their opponent in that match is Drexl, who's been a cool as hell deathmatch guy in the PNW for a long time.

He once took a heinous assault from the most deadly weapon ever used in a wrestling match... my old Playstation 3 controller

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
More Dragongate indie stuff:
https://www.pwponderings.com/2022/07/28/dragongate-rising-stars-headed-to-etu-wrestling/

If you're in New Jersey in September, you're getting SB KENTo vs La Estrella.

SBK is going to be huge within the next couple years, so I highly recommend checking that out.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
More announced:
8/20 La Estrella in DEFY
10/8-9 YAMATO in GCW
10/30 SB KENTo in Prestige
10/14-15 YAMATO in AAWP

All of the dates AFAIK:
Aug 20: Defy @ Seattle - La Estrella (vs Titus Alexander)
Sep 9: ETU @ Newark - La Estrella vs SB KENTo
Sep 11: Fest @ Gainesville - La Estrella
Oct 8: WCP @ San Francisco - Ben-K
Oct 8-9: GCW @ Atlantic City - Shun Skywalker & YAMATO
Oct 14-15: AAWP @ Chicago - YAMATO
Oct 22: GCW @ Detroit - Shun Skywalker
Oct 30: Prestige @ Portland - YAMATO & SB KENTo
Nov 19: WCP @ San Francisco - La Estrella & SB KENTo

Dragongate going hard this fall.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 12, 2022

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Congrats to Wrestle Rave on getting a BJW Deathmatch Championship match I guess
Looks more like GLEAT's G-Rex belt, tbh.

Maybe this is just WWF Hardcore belt nostalgia but I can't help thinking deathmatch belts should look janky on purpose. Roll the faceplate in some glue and broken glass.

edit: Ah, wasn't aware of the original. Not so much a tribute as "the same thing" lol

Bonk fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 12, 2022

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Bandit was super nice in person! Really fun show that should be up on NEW's channel pretty soon.

I got some pretty good footage of the Keyblade duel.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 22, 2022

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

TTBF posted:

Minoru Suzuki announced for DEFY on October 29th

Hell, I'm already driving down to Portland on the 30th for Prestige, so I might as well go to DEFY the night before and make a whole wrestling road trip weekend out of it.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Yeah, it's still 4 shows away for them, so there should be plenty. Hell of a guest list so far too:

quote:

The American Wolves (Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards), Deonna Purrazzo, Jungle Kyona, YAMATO, Black Taurus, Sumie Sakai, SB KENTo & much more TBA!

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
MLW is booking Myron Reed vs Shun Skywalker for the Middleweight title :supaburn:

Shun's challenge: https://twitter.com/mlw/status/1564414346251337730

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

stab posted:

Like most guys from Canada, you don't hear of them until they cross the border and 99% of the time it becomes a "wtf who is this dude he is amazing"
Daniel Makabe :cry:

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
It's pretty bad but it's still really hard to top Byron Saxton's. It's like he told his opponents "I have no idea what the move actually is, just sell it no matter what I do."

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Kvlt! posted:

GCW is my fav indie because they really know how to retain an audience's attention. There's a lot of variety and they have a great eye for picking talent that actually knows how to build a match and not just 2 dudes smashing 200 light tubes in the first two minutes.
What I would like to see from GCW is a separation/categorization by name for all the different stuff they do, like what ICW is doing with the NHB branding. They simultaneously want to be the biggest super-indie, while also being the goriest deathmatch & backyard fed, while also doing international shows, while also hosting crossover shows with other indies. So if you only dip into them casually, you don't really know what you're going to get. It feels to me like they should consider moving toward something closer to the old NWA-style governing body instead, before they spread themselves too thin. I know The Collective is a thing, but that's more of a collaboration with BLP/GPW/Bloodsport/etc.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
https://twitter.com/deadlockpro/status/1573747529883189248

lol this is adorable :3:

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
NEW in Vancouver announced that they're going to be taking a step back from monthly shows for a while. They're doing their October show and then a Boxing Day show, then that's it until maybe March/April. Not because they're doing poorly - they've done a lot better in their first year than they anticipated - but because they want to grow way bigger than they are right now and they're not satisfied with being on par with local indies that run small-ish venues. So they need to reevaluate and put some things into place before doing something big and risky in the spring. The owner didn't specify what that is.

They're already doing bigger shows than anyone else in the region, maybe even Canada-wide, but I see his point that you can see the NEW roster on pretty much any card in the PNW right now because they all get booked everywhere else. So maybe they're trying to contract bigger names for regular appearances, or secure a working relationship with a bigger promotion.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I guess they could just have Buddy freebird the belt.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I went to NEW in Vancouver last night and the promoter Rob Fai announced they're getting a TV deal. They had a hard cam and several ringside cameras in a bit of a different setup than their usual shows.

I got to talk to Rob for a bit and he said he's under an NDA for who the deal is with for another week or so, but this is potentially pretty huge. Between the bigger names they get for their cards and the local talent they have, they could be Impact level pretty soon. I'm not sure if that means more shows or just longer monthly tapings, but last night was 8 matches that could easily fill 2 weeks of one-hour TV.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Absolutely incredible weekend, holy poo poo. NEW in Vancouver on Thursday, drove down to Defy in Seattle on Saturday, and I just got out of the Prestige show in Portland. Lots of Vancouver wrestlers at Defy, and some repeat guests so I must have been following a tour circuit (Davey Richards at all 3 shows lol). Suzuki's chops have to be seen live to be believed. They ECHO.

I got to meet all of the Dragongate guys at each show too: Ultimo, Estrella, YAMATO, SB KENTo. All were super nice! Their matches at Prestige were easily the best ones on the card.

I'd love it if all the Pacific Northwest promotions would coordinate dates like this more often. I'd do this trip again in a heartbeat even without all the international talent. Totally worth it.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Weird, I'd like to go to that, but there's nothing on the Tixr page.

What's the Pacific Northwest Heavyweight title that Schaff had at the Defy show? Cagematch doesn't have an entry for it. The closest I can find is the one from DOA out of Portland, but it says Exile is the champion and hasn't defended it since 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
https://nationextremewrestling.com/news-and-notes

quote:

Nation Extreme Wrestling partners with Telus Optik TV

This is a pretty huge deal. Judging from their details on social media, it seems like the plan is to start with western Canada broadcasts and then bring it nationwide & international (my guess would be joining Fite or IWTV). Not sure if they'll be moving their matches off of Youtube or posting them on both yet, but weekly broadcasts of a magazine/digest style show will be starting in December.