Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

My local indie Pro Wrestling Ambush (run by Spike Trivet) just stealth-announced they're going to be running shows again... in October.

https://twitter.com/pro_ambush/status/1409591233396236288?s=19

Oh well, it's the UK and we're still under some degree of restriction, but I'm looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

Rob Black has announced XPW is returning. With Marty Scurll.

So that's a choice

Yeah I'm busy that day. No matter what day.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Card for tonight's Beyond Masterclass show is pretty great:

quote:

TONIGHT LIVE ON IWTV: BEYOND WRESTLING PRESENTS MASTERCLASS AT 8PM ET!

Beyond Wrestling presents Masterclass TONIGHT (7/1) at 8pm EDT live on IWTV.
The show will see IWTV Independent Wrestling Champion, Wheeler YUTA make his second defense of the title when he takes on Willow Nightingale.

In addition to the championship match, Masterclass will also see:

Teddy Goodz vs Aaron Rourke
Tony Deppen vs Richard Holliday
Brogan Finlay vs Alexander James
Logan Easton Laroux vs Trish Adora
Masha Slamovich vs Jody Threat
No DQ: SLADE vs Atticus Cogar
Rhett Titus vs Alec Price
Dan Barry and Dutch vs Faith In Nothing (Rickey Shane Page and Vincent Nothing)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

RealFoxy posted:

What British indie scene? It's still dead because of the WWE and Starr burned that bridge a long time ago

There are some parts of it slowly warming up (there's a Resurgence cinematic thing dropping later today and some companies have started advertising dates again) but outside of RevPro most of the people I've seen starting back up are the kind of people who wouldn't touch Starr with a bargepole. Most of the examples I've seen (Resurgence, Ambush, etc) have put safeguarding policies front and centre, and if you do that and then hire David Starr you lose every bit of goodwill you have left.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Just finished watching the Resurgence "Theatre of Wrestling" video on Youtube. It's one of the most interesting things I've seen done with the form in a while. Very much wrestling within theatre rather than any sort of traditional wrestling show, it's an examination of the roots of wrestling in circus sideshows, strongman acts, and magic shows. The style takes a bit to get into but I found it very rewarding.

There's a short documentary on what they were trying to do with the project from a performance standpoint. Resurgence recommend watching it first (although I didn't). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er94F7QmGQk
The show is available here and is about half an hour long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHZfNdB2v7s&t=4s

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Stone Pitbull 141 posted:

Watching the Paradigm Middleweight tournament, is Donnie Janela related to Joey or what?

Cousin, I think.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

For one horrible second I thought that was David Starr.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Oh dang, this will rip rear end.

https://twitter.com/BLabelPro/status/1426328055438581761?t=EHeeg9HdhaSOiDBK9cjZjQ&s=19

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Edit: SCOOPED.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

"murder clown" is both a AAA luchador and Nick Gage's to do list for that night.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Psycho?

Loco?

Psycho Clown?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

This was very silly and very good fun. Commander Sterling trying to get Mr Grim to join in an evil laugh was great. And I really loved that the ring announcer had a signer as well.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Tabernac is where you buy cigarettes and stuff right

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Ooh, is it Loser Gets Vaccinated?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/enjoywrestle/status/1466823510156795913?s=21
I love how they named the show after that weird Bruce Willis River Cop movie lol

Oh gently caress, this sounds awesome.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

God drat it, I fly into North Carolina like 2 days after this (and after the AEW show)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Havoc904 posted:

Does anyone know of a list of indies in Dallas for Wrestlemania weekend this year? I'm hoping to get Janela's Spring Break tickets and see what else will be around.

GCW will be running The Collective again. No specific shows announced yet but probably Bloodsport, GCW, For The Culture etc

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/indies/gcw-collective-returning-wrestlemania-weekend-dallas-361856

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

OK, that's pretty fantastic. Also if this increases the chance of DDT and Noah guys showing up in GCW that would rule (I know it's happening the other way with Ninja Mack)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

This has to be the funniest match description ever

Control Your Narrative is the most divorced wrestling promotion in history.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

This is about the perfect first indie for Hook. Loads of people he knows, show run by guysd who are pretty professional, crowd likely to be super receptive. Perfect water to dip a toe in.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

Konosuke Takashita vs Daniel Garcia (c) for the PWG World Title

Fuuuuck yessss

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Any idea when the VOD from this will go up?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

SamuraiFoochs posted:

EC3 looks so hosed up now, how the dude look like he's aged decades in a few years

Listen, these narratives are hard to control.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

This may be enough for me to rethink my IWTV sub.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I know I'm not the first person to call Progress the Brewdog of wrestling but they are so much the loving Brewdog of wrestling.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

I mean old management was explaining why their WWE partnership is very punk rock but yeah, I did totally forget about the management changes at the start of the year. What's up with Smallman now? Is he just involved with NXT Europe?

Living in Orlando doing regular NXT stuff, I think.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Veny is coming to GCW

https://twitter.com/GCWrestling_/status/1613294932717871104

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I heard that Shlak got the tattoo after reading EMF's Acclaimed "Trump really won we gotta storm the capital" twqeet.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Me watching this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Dan The Dad is good, but he works kind of stiff sometimes https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1599928357155651584?t=2hc6dHdfHWUjTqdG85QXrQ&s=19

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

I've never seen him wrestle but I'm very interested in "The Spectacular Twat" Charles Crowley who appears to be portrayed by a young Stephen McHattie.

Crowley is very good. He did this storyline in Resurgence last year where he and his tag partner Clementine broke up in the most emotional (and emotionally manipulative) way.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

SG Bamboo posted:

Kazuchika Okada became a multi-time world champ after his time in Chikara, after that I'd say Jon Moxley or Claudio Castagnoli did the best

But for real most of the good guys from Chikara are now with AEW, with the rest either in the WWE system (Drew Gulak, Riccochet, Sara Del Rey) or hanging out with Ultramantis Black

Remembering going to see King Of Trios in 2017, which in retrospect was a perfect confluence of weird era Chikara and the last days of the BritWres boom. Picking out just the people who went on to do more, that show featured:

Chris Brookes (in DDT)
Pete Dunne, Trent Seven, and Tyler Bate
Fire Ant (Orange Cassidy)
Kyle Fletcher (immediately pre Aussie Open)
Millie McKenzie (who went on to NXT UK)
Sylverhawk (Wheeler Yuta)
A-Kid (Axiom on NXT)
El Phantasmo (in NJPW)
Meiko Satomura (Meiko loving Satomura)
Cassandra Miyagi (Michiko Miyagi in GLEAT)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Good venue, and an ambitious booking as it holds 6k

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

So you're telling me that this could conceivably lead to a Yamashita vs Sugiura match?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's an extension of the old talking point about good heat and bad heat. Like, you can't end every show with a face victory, but you want the reaction to a heel winning (especially a heel cheating to win) to be "This is terrible, I really want to see the bad guys get their comeuppance", not "this is terrible, this will always be terrible, why do I bother watching?"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Before it turned out that 75% of their roster was made up of terrible people and they sold out, PROGRESS was my jam. I loved them from the moment I saw Ringkampf and Pete Dunne. It was one of the companies that brought me back to pro wrestling after one of my hiatuses and something that eventually lead me into training myself.

Shame about, well, gestures at all that.

They had some really cool poo poo, barely any of which I can comfortably watch again. The world title picture is particularly cursed. Loads of long reigns with loads of matches from... El Ligero, Jimmy Havoc, Marty Scurll, and Travis Banks.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Let's all take a moment to remember mid 2010s Froggy Boi Kyle Fletcher

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

SG Bamboo posted:

My local indie is debuting a new match type at their next show in a couple of weeks, looking forward to someone forgetting the rules and getting dqed like Dean Malenko did that one time

So a competitor can win only by submitting or knocking out their opponent... or throwing them out of the ring?