Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

If anyone in Finland wants to see some pro wrestling...

Featuring a bunch of Finnish and European talent, and also "Tucker" from NXT UK. I have no idea who that is, but hey, live wrestling is live wrestling. The gimmick for the show is that there will be two bands playing before and after the show, one of them featuring one of the wrestlers.

https://tullikamari.net/fi/tapahtumat/rock--wrestling-rampage-3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I went to a SLAM! Wrestling show here in Tampere, Finland yesterday. SLAM! are one of the few Finnish indie promotions, and it's pretty rare to get live wrestling outside Helsinki, so there was no chance I was missing this.

The show was intensely indie. Many of the wrestlers were very green or just kinda rough in general, but the crowd didn't care. An extremely hot crowd who were into it from the start, despite (or possibly because) having a lot of normies in the crowd. One of the heels, Dylan Broda, cut a very basic "you people" promo before his match and riled the crowd up to the point where one guy repeatedly tried to attack Broda before, during and after the match.

The show had a ton of audience interaction in general. The faces were constantly hugging audience members, sitting down beside them in empty seats etc, and Broda (who hails from Toronto, Canada) grabbed my shirt lapels and got into my face to shout heel stuff at me when I yelled "the Leafs loving suck, allez Montreal".

The big star of the night was Tucker, who apparently used to wrestle in NXT UK. He was really good! Super impressive physique, polished technique and good in-ring storytelling.

Some of the gimmicks were ... interesting. OK, a guy who claims to hail from "Pancho Villa, Hyvinkää, Finland" and is a luchador named "El Miguel" is still fun, but a guy in a gimp outfit whose finisher is to spit some kind of liquid on his fist, pull down his opponent's trunks and pretend to jam his fist into their rear end in a top hat is slightly dubious ITYOOL 2022, but I guess outlaw mudshows are gonna outlaw mudshow.

It was a ton of fun. I have to say the ring sounds loud as gently caress when you're sitting two meters away from it, and the mega hot crowd got the wrestlers super into it as well. Nothing but mad respect to people taking pretty wild bumps in front of 200-300 people. There were absolutely no ring mats outside the ring, just bare concrete, but that didn't stop multiple people from doing dives out of the ring.

https://i.imgur.com/T5lgzMR.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/uXbQUza.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/YtfXCTF.mp4

E: now with audio on the videos.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Aug 28, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

neoaxd posted:

I always knew you were cool.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I went to see a local indie show in Finland again, this time it was an FCF Wrestling show here in my hometown. Never been to one of their shows before, but I'll definitely go again if they turn up. Very nice atmosphere and the crowd was very diverse, which was definitely not by accident. Their promotion's motto is "Pro Wrestling Belongs to Everyone", and the ring announcer leads the whole crowd in saying it before and after shows. They also state outright in their pre-show rules that there is an absolute zero tolerance on bigotry and abuse of any kind. You love to see it.

The venue was the so called "Theater Pit", which is the home venue of the University's theater arts program. It was a really cool small venue, and took in the biggest crowd ever for a FCF show outside Helsinki, still in the low hundreds. But the show sold out in minutes, so they're looking at a bigger venue for their return.

Show was fun. Most of the wrestlers were obviously very rough, but everyone was giving it their all. A few of the guys were surprisingly good, also. Everyone clearly loved the hot as poo poo crowd. It's always fun to see heels desperately trying to suppress grins as they get MASSIVE reactions for very basic stuff. Nothing but the biggest respect to everyone involved, you're not wrestling in front of 250 people in Finland to get rich.

The main event was Finnish wrestling legends Paini-Weikot vs The Brand. The Paini-Weikot are basically two "what if Stone Cold was a loveable buffoon instead" dudes and The Brand are two rich guys from the top heel group. The match was a hardcore texas tornado match, and once again, nothing but respect to four guys who took a loving beating in front of 250 people. Also, I have to say that chair shots sound a lot more brutal when you're sitting a couple of meters away.

Here's a Van Terminator from the match:

https://i.imgur.com/Axwk8Vy.mp4

and the finish

https://i.imgur.com/35VfNPd.mp4

As an aside, the Paini-Weikot had as their entrance theme Van Halen's Panama, except the chorus was their catchphrase, "Hiiohoi". It was really fun and after the first chorus the whole crowd picked up on it and sang along, which is pretty remarkable in Finland. Another fun point was that there was a guy who was basically doing Ryo Mizunami's Aniki gimmick, except he was a huge man -- but the same "fun loving big brother" gimmick complete with an entrance attire that was also basically a copy of Aniki's. Gotta love the indies!

Anyway, support your local indies, live pro wrestling is awesome even if it's the muddiest of indie mud shows.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kennel posted:

Yah, Alfa is my favorite and Paini-Weikot are good at getting over with the crowd.

Yeah, Alfa seemed like a real nice dude. A lot of the wrestlers from earlier on in the show were hanging out in the lobby afterwards and I talked with some of them and gave them nice comments about their matches. Seemed like he had a good head on his shoulders and really enjoyed wrestling.

I also discovered after the fact that Shemeikka is a friend of a friend, and unsurprisingly has been a massive wrestling nerd since his youth.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 18, 2024