Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ex Mods Poll Opinions (+current IK +current mod)
This poll is closed.
Relax or Die: i'll tell you what it is: posting theft 10 0.07%
ShallNoiseUpon: i have reported oddium for stealing posting valor i hope the moderators will sort this out post haste 14 0.09%
Cheetah7071: more like snoreson smells 18 0.12%
Oddium: no poll for solidarity with mobile users 36 0.24%
Metis: I promise never to interfere in poll results 15001 99.46%
Hmmmmmm. 4 0.03%
Total: 15083 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Whizzing Wizard posted:

It's time for an august games chat thread for august gamers

Augustus is my favorite emperor by far, he's just so goddamn ballsy and interesting. Imagine marching into a legion camp as a teen and telling those fools you were in charge now, plus he's got a best friend story with Agrippa that's so touching. Just a perfect person in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

haveblue posted:

kinda surprised that's not on game pass by now (unless it is and I don't know)
if you have ultimate you can stream it, at least. vanilla VP got a PC port but I don't think trouble in paradise ever did

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Augustus is my favorite emperor by far, he's just so goddamn ballsy and interesting. Imagine marching into a legion camp as a teen and telling those fools you were in charge now, plus he's got a best friend story with Agrippa that's so touching. Just a perfect person in every way.

Yeah seems like he was a cool imperialist dictator

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Everything tells me I should agree, but I still love him. I believe thay call this "Simping" I am a Simp for Augustus.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That entire century of Roman history is fascinating

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why haven’t I ever seen a picture of Roman emperors as anime girls? Have I not been looking hard enough?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

This is bait to get pictures of saber red

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fate/Extra

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Augustus does have a neat design

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jay Rust posted:

The OG in fact!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Adrian Goldsworthy's bigraphesis of Augutsus and Caeser, I, Claudius, Spartacus (Kubrik), Spartacus(Starz), and Commentarii de Bello Gallico are all good experiences even for the layman. Roman history is just the coolest poo poo ever.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the romans had the original mcu and it was almost as win. that's right the mythical characters universe (jupiter, mercury, et al)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

homeless snail posted:

if you have ultimate you can stream it, at least. vanilla VP got a PC port but I don't think trouble in paradise ever did

Nah trouble in paradise is xbox only and its lame

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gaius Marius posted:

Have you seen Rome Season 2? Octavian is the best character on that show.

cheetah7071 posted:

It really really is. One of the most interesting times in History.

Gaius Marius posted:

Adrian Goldsworthy's bigraphesis of Augutsus and Caeser, I, Claudius, Spartacus (Kubrik), Spartacus(Starz), and Commentarii de Bello Gallico are all good experiences even for the layman. Roman history is just the coolest poo poo ever.

How did you leave out HBO's Rome?

There's also a show out now called Domina which basically picks up where Rome season 2 stopped. (Sky / Amazon Prime)

Both Spartacus' are good though too. But have less to do with Roman politics.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 1, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Gaius Marius posted:

Everything tells me I should agree, but I still love him. I believe thay call this "Simping" I am a Simp for Augustus.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

The OG in fact!

No love for Gaius Julius?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Gaius Marius posted:

My go-to recommendation is Rubicon by Tom Holland

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

No love for Gaius Julius?

No love for my nephew!?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Since I cut lootboxes out of my life, and refuse to play any game with them, I have become so much happier. FFXIV rules.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Basically all these people wrote memoirs too and only like two of them survive I'm very mad at medieval monks not faultlessly copying every single ancient book for my enjoyment

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

This podcast loving ruuuuuules https://thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/the_history_of_rome/

Pretty sure he references Rubicon heavily.

Also this is one of the best threads on SA: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486446

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Spider-Man is a Rome expert?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Modern fasc made roman history uncool, sorry nerds

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I Ain't gonna lie, I bounced from it hard, but if Grand Fromage vouches for it I think it's alright. Tbh, I'm gonna say some controversy, but Sopranos gives you the best idea of how the early Imperium worked, Titles are based entirely on your own standing and can change at a whim, and family, and Social connections are paramount. Once I started recognizing Augsustus in the Soprano context every move he made made sense to me.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Sory fam, I'm reclaiming rome like my boy Belisarius

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

This podcast loving ruuuuuules https://thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/the_history_of_rome/

Pretty sure he references Rubicon heavily.

Also this is one of the best threads on SA: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486446

I ain't gonna lie, I've fallen outta love with Duncan, but his Rome podcasts are still a good entry point to the Roman Past.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

I'm not gonna let nazis tell me what to do or not do

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Games I reccomend

GTASA
Ratchet 2
Jak III
SMTIV
Umineko
Dead Rising 2
Ace Combat Zero
Under the Skin

These games are impeachable

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm gonna impeach Umineko

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm gonna impeach Umineko

I will fight you fool

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No other game is truly among the canon of important literature as Umineko is. It's one of the greatest moments of my life, experiencing it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the first half was pretty good shame about the rest

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I Ain't gonna lie, I bounced from it hard, but if Grand Fromage vouches for it I think it's alright. Tbh, I'm gonna say some controversy, but Sopranos gives you the best idea of how the early Imperium worked, Titles are based entirely on your own standing and can change at a whim, and family, and Social connections are paramount. Once I started recognizing Augsustus in the Soprano context every move he made made sense to me.

Correct, although Augustus is much closer to Michael Corleone than he is to Tony Soprano.

Gaius Marius posted:

Games I reccomend

GTASA
Ratchet 2
Jak III
SMTIV
Umineko
Dead Rising 2
Ace Combat Zero
Under the Skin

Did you mean to say 'impeccable' ? Or 'unimpeachable' ?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Games I reccomend

GTASA
Ratchet 2
Jak III
SMTIV
Umineko
Dead Rising 2
Ace Combat Zero
Under the Skin

i have never played any of these

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

the first half was pretty good shame about the rest

You better be joking, EP 5 and 6, gently caress man they;re transcendent. I don't joke when I compare them to Goethe's Faust

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Umineko is the Kanye west of video games....

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i did however just start sonic lost world and find it very funny that the composer apparently thought they were working on a broadway musical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_STEia0WIw

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
tbh I read Umnineko when it was new, 6 month waits between episodes an all, and was on the edge of my seat the whole the for the first four and then just a slow slide into "oh, that's all?" for the rest. And then episode 8 pissed me off a lot. I can't really have an intelligent conversation about the details because it's been so long but I'm being completely honest with my umineko opinions

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The six month gaps did contribute a lot though. I probably spent more time talking about Umineko than most media I consume and did a bunch of Umineko-inspired table top RPGs. If I had been able to read it through all in one go I doubt it would have made much of an impression on me at all. Or maybe having the parts I like be fresh in my mind instead of years old would have salvaged it. Who knows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gaius Marius posted:

No other game is truly among the canon of important literature as Umineko is. It's one of the greatest moments of my life, experiencing it

Call of Duty, perhaps