Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
BUCKS VS KING AND PENTA 27 29.35%
BOY VS JACK 2 2.17%
MIRO VS PILLMAN 6 6.52%
MJF VS SAM 57 61.96%
Total: 92 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
They really just did Vickie vs Rebel with no substitutions or anything huh.

People were SO CERTAIN that just putting the title on Britt would magically fix the women's' division but Jesus H Christ it's somehow worse now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Honestly at this point I wouldn't be surprised if AEW just doesn't sign any of the women that have been released cause they just don't seem to give a poo poo at this point. Bo Dallas has a better chance of showing up on Dynamite than the Iiconics at this stage in the game.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I'm just saying I have reservations about the companies plans for the women's division when they best they can do on the big show before they go on the road is a Vickie Guerrero match.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

karmicknight posted:

It was a match between the champion and her clear challenger with their wacky sidekicks to keep the actual title match as being special.

In a Heel vs Heel feud that they're doing because the only babyfaces they have put any time into are the one that the champion just beat and the one who doesn't even work there yet. Not saying Britt vs Nyla will be a bad match, but it's the only thing resembling a big match they have cause that's the corner they booked themselves into.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

karmicknight posted:

Nyla Rose vs. Dr. Britt Baker is being booked because Nyla Rose has a win over her. Yuka Sakazaki is coming to America this month to face Dr. Baker because Yuka Sakazaki beat her. It's kind of clear the Britt Baker story is going to involve her going through and defeating the people who beat her in AEW, and that has to start with Nyla Rose because it is meant to end on Thunder Rosa.

The issue is what does Britt do after that? They get a few weeks doing the the Nyla feud, then Yuka is there but they already said she's only in the states through July so at best that feud can only really amount to "Yuka shows up, Britt beats her, Yuka leaves again." That leaves like a full 5 months until Rosa is free to sign with AEW, so what do they do til then?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

Build some more challengers? You know, the thing AEW is actually really good at?

In the men's division sure. For women? I don't think they've really done that since the Shida/Nyla feud. Everything after that's been pretty much a foregone conclusion from the start. Most of Shida's feuds from that point on had little to no story other than some random run-ins here and there, the feud with Britt basically made it clear Shida had no chance of retaining whatsoever from the start, and now we're on to cheeseburger parties and manager matches.

Is it better than the haunted doll fights and mind control stuff that WWE is doing right now? 100%! But what frustrates me is AEW proves time and time again they are capable of doing great story and character stuff with every other division except this one and I don't get why.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I would love if Rampage helped solved the problems I have with the way AEW handles the women's division.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Dragonshirt posted:

Do people who hate intergender wrestling get real mad if Chun Li wins in Street Fighter 2?

For some reason Bryan Alvarez insists the the reason Lucha Underground died is because they had intergender wrestling. Certainly nothing to do with being on a tiny niche network, it's godawful contracts that screwed over the talent, money issues, or the whole weird dispute between AAA and it's US branch that ran LU which is still ongoing today as far as I'm aware.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Can't wait for MJF to jump ship to WWE, get renamed to like "Maxxie Felcher" or something, get over despite that on NXT and then get called up to get pinned by Jaxson Ryker on Main Event every week for 3 straight years.

Anyway JR has literally always gotten names wrong and that doesn't bother me nearly as much as when he starts getting pissy about being corrected or when he sees something he doesn't like on the show which feels like most of it by this point.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I really want the Lucha Brothers to be the team that takes the titles, as good as they are teaming with Eddie or PAC any of those pairings just doesn't feel right with the titles. It's a shame the Lucha Bros are currently trapped in some sort of curse where one them is always injured at any given time.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I mean the same thing that happened to Shida is exactly what happened to Nyla and Riho after they lost the title: just completely discarded off to Dark World never to be seen again until it was time for a title match and suddenly they're back on the show for like 2 weeks. The only men's champions who've gotten similar treatment to this would be SCU after they lost the tag titles. Every other champion has still been a major player on the show after losing their title. But since AEW is only allowed to care about 2 women at most at any given time, the former champions just cease to be important after their turn is up.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Gosh it's almost like they don't really care that much about the division aside from the 2 people who get screen time.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

They might think they don't need her, considering the joshi's can start to regularly come in and out of the states [emi/yuka/riho] it's not like the show is hurting for women even with Anna Jay out on injury. I mean Leva hasn't been seen outside of BTE in a long time, Mel was probably sitting out for covid, they're not doing anything with Jade beyond hawking coupons, Penelope and Bunny are only now getting more ring time. Abadon has been murdering people on Dark. Thunder Rosa and Serena may as well be AEW now.

Just to point out Serena has been AEW for a long time, people just keep thinking she's NWA cause she had the title.

Also I just think it's a big weird that AEW would just immediately dump all the people they picked up in Florida and go right back to depending on the Joshis to just be the entire women's division again, as if we weren't still in the midst of a global crisis that impacts people's ability to travel internationally. I mean Japan literally just went into another state of emergency after a massive covid spike, it's entirely possible they have to shut down travel again and now we're just right back where we were in February 2020.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I said it before and I know people groan and I admit I'm really pessimistic about it. I'll try to lighten up about it going forward.

That said, you can make some pretty easy comparisons between how other divisions champions are treated post-loss. Like, Jericho and Moxley and Cody all transitioned right into new stories after losing their titles, FTR kinda floated around for a bit then joined Pinnacle. SCU went into a Dark Order feud for a while but that just kinda stopped once Brodie appeared and now they're dissolved so I'd say they probably got the worst of it for the men.

Meanwhile, Riho lost the title and (understandably) vanished until she was able to come back for the tournament, but after that just vanished again. Nyla lost the title and then her story after that was "I never get booked anymore and I'm pissed off" until Vickie came along and then her story became "Actually I don't even wanna be on the show" until the tournament happened, then didn't do much until the Baker feud started. Shida lost the title and got a haircut.

Also I don't think you can really call "She's just farming Dark to grind her way back up unto the rankings" a storyline cause that can basically describe everyone who wrestles on Dark.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Cavauro posted:

it would be funny if these issues that everyone has with wrestlers not showing up were just the wrestlers getting lots of time off thing that has always been a popular idea, but it turned out everybody really hates the idea in practice. it would be funny if that's what it was. that's all i'm saying. i'm not saying th

I mean, in the Shida example it's not that she's literally taking a vacation she's just not on the tv show that people watch. It's not really time off if you're still wrestling but only on the "C Show, Soon to be D Show that a fraction of the audience ever sees"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Don't forget getting pinned in 2 minutes in her re-debut match as thanks for doing all that.