Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
BUCKS VS KING AND PENTA 27 29.35%
BOY VS JACK 2 2.17%
MIRO VS PILLMAN 6 6.52%
MJF VS SAM 57 61.96%
Total: 92 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

fawning deference posted:

It is a pretty good heel move to set up an awesome gimmick match and then pull out of it.
It was originally planned for today's show before changed wasn't it? Page saying he's canceling it got some pretty big heat.

The last time I can remember gimmick matches advertised and then dropped was the first episode of Impact with Hogan & Bischoff where they had barbed wire matches and ultimate X matches and all sorts of stuff get canceled so we could watch Orlando Jordan fake jizz on his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Drakkel posted:

Gosh it's almost like they don't really care that much about the division aside from the 2 people who get screen time.
Don't start this poo poo

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

With things opening back up it's kinda important to have indies again. AEW can't sign everyone, but if AEW doesn't pull the Triple H strategy of robbings the indies then standout talents can make good money for a 1-2 month tour then go home and draw bigger gates with their usual company. I don't live in a big wrestling market but if my local indie guy is suddenly on AEW for a month it's probably going to bring in casual AEW fans to the shows.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Drakkel posted:

Just to point out Serena has been AEW for a long time, people just keep thinking she's NWA cause she had the title.

Also I just think it's a big weird that AEW would just immediately dump all the people they picked up in Florida and go right back to depending on the Joshis to just be the entire women's division again, as if we weren't still in the midst of a global crisis that impacts people's ability to travel internationally. I mean Japan literally just went into another state of emergency after a massive covid spike, it's entirely possible they have to shut down travel again and now we're just right back where we were in February 2020.
:psyduck: Half of their current women's roster are from the pandemic era

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm fine with Shida dropping back to Elevation or the undercard to prove herself worthy of another rematch. She beat everyone on the roster at least once and she was (In kayfabe) upset about it enough to cut half her hair off and start from the bottom. Former champions should either have something lined up unrelated to the title they lost (Like Jericho/Inner Circle having another storyline) or use their clout to help build new people.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

xbilkis posted:

Diamante's arcs on Dark/Elevation made me wonder if they were testing her as a potential midcard fixture for when Rampage launches because she got multiple promos; I would be interested in seeing her come back in that capacity even if I don't think her ringwork makes her a must-sign. Plus she does the cool gun thing

In general I hope going back on the road and getting an extra hour of TV time lest the company build up more stories outside of the title picture and faction warfare. People focus on the women's division but the amount of attention the tag teams get can wax and wane too, especially when the Bucks were more embroiled in Kenny-centric stories. And I assume the reason a bunch of solo men have been shuffled into tag teams or bigger groups is because you're seldom going to have time to make, say, a Scorpio Sky solo match on TV
It's probably more complicated than that. Scorpio turned heel and there's currently two heel champions so he doesn't have much going for him in single's competition.

He's a great second to Ethan in his long-time feud against Darby because his directly rival is Sting. Sting also gets the benefit of working with Scorpio who a long-time vet, a former AEW champ, and a very safe worker. Sting gets his "You've still got it" moments with Scorpio, while Scorpio can still get heel heat against Sting because he's so safe and then Darby and Ethan Page can just beat the poo poo out of each other. It gets all four guys over.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I can't tell who's arguing in bad faith anymore

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Drakkel posted:

I mean, in the Shida example it's not that she's literally taking a vacation she's just not on the tv show that people watch. It's not really time off if you're still wrestling but only on the "C Show, Soon to be D Show that a fraction of the audience ever sees"
Don't start this poo poo

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

rantmo posted:

As will Dark be, assuming Dark returns to its original format.
I read that when they're back on the road, Elevation will be the 2-5 matches before and after the show on YouTube while Dark turns into their developmental in Jacksonville.

Elevation will be be as advertised, wrestlers on the rise or main roster members doing matches that couldn't make it to the main show. Dark will be trainees, tryouts, and occasional lower card members in an FCW/early NXT type situation.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

gently caress PWT.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

AEW were a touring brand for 6 months and and in the pandemic for 15 months, they're still in a transitional period.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

boxcarhobo posted:

i just want The Bee to be free
Suzume was always free

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I think Big Bicep Tony's learned his lesson on over-hyping/under-delivering. The big surprises were Big Show, Christian, and Mark Henry, the big matches were the exploding deathmatch and Wargames and they both under-delivered but they've had so many great matches on TV plus non-advertised debuts like Mox.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Shard posted:

I wouldn't agree that Wargames under delivered. I really enjoyed it. At the very least I wouldn't say that is a universal opinion. And I really liked the death match as a whole and the bad explosion didn't ruin it for me.
The explosion match was wrestled perfectly, but the fireworks were pretty awful.

Same as the Wargames match, except half of it was interrupted by commercials and they didn't cut away fast enough and showed Jericho landing on a crash pad and giving a thumbs-up and laughing.

They're both examples of production errors in a company that's less than 2 years old though. It wasn't the fault of the writing or wrestling.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Pylons posted:

Yeah, that match made me mad (in a bad way) because they booked it like that. They didn't intentionally do bad explosions or gently caress up the camera production on the Wargames match ending.
I feel attacked

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Mons Hubris posted:

Respectfully Ivelisse vs Thunder Rosa has to be there somewhere
TH2 loudly saying they don't want anything to do with Ivelisse and then proving them right by throwing a tantrum because Rosa called two spots in their match was a very important part of AEW history. At least she didn't stand up and no sell/argue with her opponent like she did in the wrestle circus match.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

rantmo posted:

Dustin vs. Hager has got to be at least a dishonorable mention. The absolute nadir of Revolution '19.
Isn't it because Dustin kissed his wife pre-match? The optic is disgusting and it didn't matter that Hager and his wife cleared that before the show.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

I don't think I was watching at the time, what happened?
Brandi Rhodes was a heel and the "Nightmare Family v.1" interrupted an otherwise great match where Brandi, Mel, Awesome Kong, and Luther interrupted the match for HEAAAAAAAAAAAAT.

Riho and Stat were both babyfaces at the time so there was no reason for this to happen. Nightmare Collective attacked Statlander, Riho attacked Nightmare collective, Awesome Kong cost Statlander the match for no particular reason.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7qaibs

The full match if you want to know why it was such a poorly received match.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

That was probably around the time that Tony stopped taking booking ideas from talent. At least AEW gets the benefit of pivoting out of The Nightmare Collective and the original concept of the Dark Order pretty early on.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

As a TJPW fan I am obligated to post

AYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYYA

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Yuka Sakazaki has a pinfall over Britt Baker and Britt curb-stomped her and knocked a tooth out

But Yuka is loud and obnoxious and usually a bully so I can't decide who the heel is

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Vince MechMahon posted:

She's not a seven foot tall bone plated lizard demon so it doesn't count.
She can do magic but she has no master so she's more similar to Shaq.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Orange Carlisle posted:

He's gonna be the next Aron Rex
If he signs to AEW his cringy stories won't last very long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

KungFu Grip posted:

Tommy End was a fine name and I'm sure wwe doesnt own it and that aew isn't owning wrestler names so I dont get it.

Also I know the womens division stuff was a few pages ago but I would have assumed they signed Diamante since she won their womens tag tournament which in the end feels like it wasnt actually important and didnt matter.
She might not have a job right now but she's got a place in the P&P faction. All it'd take is for MJF to recruit Jade or Deeb