Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
BUCKS VS KING AND PENTA 27 29.35%
BOY VS JACK 2 2.17%
MIRO VS PILLMAN 6 6.52%
MJF VS SAM 57 61.96%
Total: 92 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Y'know what my favorite part of Dark Order tonight was.

They didn't tell any fuckin' jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

It didn't occur to me how keenly familiar Cody would be with what was happening to Brodie Jr. at that time. Whoof.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I've really come around on Britt as champ in the past couple weeks. When you dont care about the champion, it's really easy to not care about the unceasing women's division discourse.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Shard posted:

He just makes art folks. So effortless.

Every cavauro post takes a team of 30 people working 70 hour weeks for 6-8 months, please stop insulting their effort.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
They're gonna work it the exact same as that match, spot for spot. Orange Cassidy will be Shaq.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Raskolnikov38 posted:

let’s discuss better things, like my idea for a heel orange Cassidy to adopt a Carl Brutananadilewski gimmick

Not here for this implication that Carl was the heel on that show.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pylons posted:

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1410710249858809872

I wonder if they rethink moving AEW for the NHL.

The deal's already signed, they're not changing it and they shouldn't. AEW's better on TBS where it won't get preempted eight billion times like it just did.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hey guys, wanna hear a joke?

It's been just about a year since Ben Carter was in AEW.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

enigmahfc posted:

I think if Excalibur or Taz or Tony had said "WWE Dynamite" everyone would have been "lol he mess up" and that would be it, but people have a weird hate boner for JR so if the dude pauses too long they want his head on a stick. It's loving weird.

He makes lots of mistakes, buries the in ring and says things that people view as problematic. He's distracting in a negative way to a lot of people.

I dont want JR fired into the sun (imo use him as a sitdown guy and bring him out for matches you know he'll like, i.e. not ones where theres a legal man for him to bitch about), but can we please not act like the people who want him off the desk are just mysteriously angry for no reason. The guy has been bad at his job for three years, longer if you watched NJPW on AXS before AEW.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Kirios posted:

lol Dynamite's gonna be right in the middle of a hurricane next week.

Yeah, HURRICANE QT MAR-SHALL IS COMIN TO MIAMI TO PUT THE STRAP ON CODY RHODES

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I didn't see anybody saying JR should die for his commentary but I sure do see people saying "the headset is the only thing keeping him alive!" and I think THAT'S pretty weird.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pylons posted:

So anyway, in his Q&A podcast Sean Ross Sapp reiterated that the releases will have a domino effect a few months from now and (separately, though I got the vibe they were related) that a "big name" has a contract expiring this year and is planning to jump ship (whether from WWE to AEW or AEW to WWE or another promotion entirely he didn't specify).

Pretty sure this is Sami Zayn.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The thing about Orton is, back in 2019, WWE was in maximum SIGN EVERYBODY mode, they were throwing absolutely profane amounts of money at people just to not go to AEW and Orton is somebody they've always pushed as a top guy, so they would give him anything to not go. So if Orton was still to turn all of that down and take probably a lot less money and perks to go to AEW, it would've meant he was probably pretty motivated to do something special. From that aspect, it was at least an intriguing idea.

But it seems like he was either A) Just using AEW as leverage to get more money from WWE or B) Expected to be hailed as a God and given the world just for even considering signing with them. Either way, not worth it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I don’t think it’d actually happen, but I could see the Lucha Bros jump if the money was right, maybe less so now that they have their boutique in LA.

Maybe WWE dumps a bunch of money on Private Party or The Acclaimed, who apparently could’ve ended up in the PC instead.

Nah, we're at the point where Andrade (and probably Samuray) are actively warning all their lucha buddies away from WWE. Plus, yeah, the boutique you mentioned.

Private Party, I could definitely see, particular because uh, after two years, I haven't seen a terrible amount of growth from them and I dunno what their ceiling even is in AEW right now. Wasn't Bowens already at the PC, though?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Speakin' of Samuray.

https://www.samuraydelsol.com/

Countdown expires at 8 PM on the 14th. 👀

Or the 13th and I can't read calendars. But I'm gonna pretend he's showing up at Fyter Fest!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
tbh I think a feud between Private Party and Street Profits where Private Party tries to big-time Street Profits as small time street partiers and they're big time VIP club partiers, but Street Profits just calls them out as being total posers would be really fun, but, we're talking WWE here so it'd probably be garbage.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rarity posted:

PAC's only 34, is one of those guys who is into wrestling as an art and spent 18 months of his career being stuck at home not being able to wrestle. I doubt he hangs up the boots yet. He must really want to prove he can be the main champ in a big company

On the other hand, if he decided he was sick of constantly losing years of his physical prime to constant bullshit, couldja blame him?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Bowens has done some NXT tapings and got hosed up by AOP, I think he’s one of those guys who had a contract all written up but it got lost under someone else’s paperwork and they forgot to actually sign him.

For Private Party, I think the heel turn has done them a world of good to at least start working on incorporating more character work into their matches and presentation.

That's fuckin' right, Bowens is the dude who got murdered by the wine glass power bomb when they would literally just dump the dudes on top of each other. God, early AoP was rough.

rantmo posted:

I cannot imagine how you can see HOF Private Party and say that they haven't grown a ton. Their ringwork is tighter, their character work is better, they've grown and flourished since joining up with Matt Hardy. As far as them jumping ship, they're working with their idol who, as it happens, left the WWE well behind and sure seems like he'd advise anyone who would listen to not go there.

I guess? When they had that match with the Young Bucks I thought they were a foundational piece of the division and two years later, I just don't see them as anything more than one of the three teams Matt Hardy has as henchmen. I can't even imagine them being ranked, muchless being at the top of the tag team division or contending for the championship the way I can Death Triangle, Varsity Blondes, Acclaimed, FTR, PnP, either Dark Order team, etc.

TV Zombie posted:

I wonder if TH2 would go to AEW given how they’ve been used so sparingly.

TH2 has been very upfront that AEW has been right to slow-play them and they weren't in ring shape and weren't pitching enough ideas, plus, they've been very superlative towards Tony paying them during the pandemic when they couldn't make tapings. Or, at least one of them has, dunno which one. But they seem very happy in AEW, last I heard.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Andrade was literally telling other latinos not to sign with WWE while he was still there, so, yeah, that's how that's going.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

xbilkis posted:

Sammy has the size thing and also...an unfortunate history involving one of the top names in WWE.

Also, he can't forward roll worth a poo poo.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

El Gallinero Gros posted:

AEW doesn't have a single bad tag team, and that is insanely rare. PP will get their moment in the sun, and might even carry the division eventually.

We haven't even talked about Top Flight, who are obscenely good for their age.

Janela and Kiss is a bad, bad team.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pylons posted:

Dave Star Ratings:

Kenny vs. Jungle Boy: 4.5

Penta & Eddie vs. The Young Bucks: 4.25

MJF vs. Sammy: 4.5 (says it probably would've been MOTYC/gotten 5 with a different finish and Sammy winning)

More like it'd have been 5 if this was the first interference finish in, let's say, two months, rather than the fourteenth in the last couple weeks.

Honestly, the more I think about it, I think the finish they did really, genuinely was the right finish for that match in a vacuum. I hope the negative response to it has given AEW a bit of a lesson about how much they're overdoing this stuff.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ChrisBTY posted:

Do Honk and Bononi count as a team because Bononi is AEW's bottom tier hoss and from what little I've seen on Honk in-ring I think he's probably had amateur wrestling matches that are better professional wrestling matches than his actual professional wrestling matches. They're fun guys and great stories to have around but they arn't around for anything they do in the ring.

Read this as Hook and Bononi.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Cerebral Bore posted:

I don't remember when it was, but I distinctly remember JR calling MJF either exactly or at least something along the lines of "a boil on the rear end of life", which in my book gives him around 100 real bad flubs as credit earned .

He also had "That's not a Cross Rhodes, it's a goddamn Double Cross!" when MJF beat somebody with a Cross Rhodes.

He also came up with Jungle Jack Perry.

This concludes the list of good JR contributions I can think of.

Pylons posted:

He only grabbed the tights on Jungle Boy IIRC.

He didn't, it was some whacky clutch. I think it might've literally been a ZSJ move.100% clean.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Evil Badman posted:

That's pure business acumen at work there. It's humanizing him, and setting up to drop the Jungle Boy part of his name whenever it's actually appropriate to do so (years from now).

Yeah, it was honestly brilliant and I don't doubt JR came up with it on his own.

"Another well-planned stunt gone awry" summarizes a lot of stuff from the Daily's Place era. :laffo:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Kunabomber posted:

Swole will never go to WWE unless they make policy changes. She needs medical marijuana to get through her Crohn's disease.

WWE doesn't pop for weed anymore and even when they did, nobody took it seriously, they just called it the smoke tax.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How long before Spears gets bounced from the group?

Never. The Canadian God is forever.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It appears the dream of Thea Trinedad's faction of extremely handsome men is dead.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CopywrightMMXI posted:

So this means no Tommy End in AEW? I’m fine either way, he’s good but not really needed.

The indication as of a week ago was that Tommy is heading to AEW.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

To the point where he’s one of the ones who got out of his 90 day.

I don't think the "Tommy End to AEW" rumor was ever directly connected to the "guys are asking out of their 90 days" rumor, but that was definitely my read, that he was one of them.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Deathlove posted:

Guerilla Warfare!!!!!!

Ain't nobody realer than Guerilla.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

smarxist posted:

Eddie and Penta should loving win

No they shouldn't. Any combination of Death Triangle winning would be good, Mox/Kingston would be good, but Kingston and HIS BEST FRIEND ain't the right pair.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Cavauro posted:

not saying i think they are the next team to win the belts. every one is a heel. But that could easily be changed here in The Aew as bret hart would say. he always called it The WCW. That's what i'm referring to

If Bret Hart is in the thread reading cavauro's post about him, happy birthday Bret.

Anyway, the team to beat the Young Bucks should be either Lucha Bros or Uno and Grayson and I lean heavily towards Uno and Grayson.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

karmicknight posted:

Not babyface Santana and Ortiz?

Ehhhhhh. I almost included them, but they're a fairly distant third behind Lucha Bros because the dynamic there would be similar, but the Lucha Bros version of it has more history and is more compelling.

I think Proud and Powerful should lose to FTR, who then goes on to beat the babyface team that beats the Bucks, then PnP comes back and beats FTR.

I could be wrong on this? I think they could probably heat up PnP vs. the Bucks very quickly, there is some history there and it seems like Santana just cannot loving miss with the promos, so.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I just really like the idea of the Lucha Bros trying to get the the belts off the Bucks in all these different combinations, but then they reunite with each other and it's revisiting this foundational AEW feud, Lucha Bros. vs. The Young Bucks.

I'm talking myself out of Uno and Grayson (which I just like because I really the idea of Uno, Grayson and Hangman all scoring gold and breaking the Elite on the same night) because now I wanna see Escalera de le Muerte 2.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pylons posted:

I think FTR vs. PnP is being built for All Out as a de-facto #1 contender's match.

I dunno if they can draw that out for two months.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ-xZKU4XkU

"You're entering the barbarian's house. Until death, and after."

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Babies should have dumb names, babies are idiots.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Shida should be louder, angrier and have access to a time machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That thread got RTed into my timeline and I was reading it and I wound up at the part where Dark Order comes in and I wound up going down the Brodie tunnel and now I'm gettin' all misty-eyed, fucks sake.