Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

The time to get the Afghan interpreters and others who helped the US military out was 6 months ago. Right now it's critical.

https://youtu.be/NZfCqG7b6Gg

Unfortunately the US navy can't be in osprey range let alone helicopter range of the capital this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

Curling is legitimately the only Olympic sport I look forward to. I don’t pay attention to who is winning though, I just tune in to watch the epic broomsmanship.

Is curling the only olympic sport that isn't about being the strongest or fastest at something?

Its fun btw, everyone should see if theres a place near you.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

:checks:

Archery, Golf, Equestrian stuff and shooting.

I would also lump modern point fighting karate in there as well.

I completely forgot archery/shooting existed without triathlon/etc. Golf isn't quite the same as curling, its difficult to put too much distance on a tee off but its trivial to put too much power behind a stone or heat up the ice too much.

I was thinking too much about "fastest" for the other events. Being fast with decisions and sweeping in curling is as much speed I guess.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That Works posted:

I can't say that I've owned or cooked with white pepper. What's it compare to / is it really essential?

Black peppercorns are dried, white peppercorns are soaked then dried. White peppercorns are more common in asian cooking, e.g. hot and sour soup.
https://thewoksoflife.com/chinese-spices-condiments/#white-pepper

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That Works posted:

Are they actually that noticeably different in the end?

You know that delayed back of the throat spiciness from a good hot and sour soup? That’s white pepper.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GD_American posted:

Since I've never shopped for one, do they have APRs around that credit card area, or can you get comparable rates to buying cars?

The really good car loan rates, ie anything lower than a mortgage are manufacturer subsidized so you can’t get that. You can get well under 10% with good credit though so if your credit and job improves drastically you can consolidate a lot of 20% credit cards and private student loans that have horrendous variable apr terms.

With short term stuff you can go very low with stuff like 0% apr for 12months promotional credit cards.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The easy counter point is that ultra rich people setting private records with new aircraft in the 20s and 30s was critical to the early civilian aviation industry.

Branson is the first in space on a 100% private spacecraft which is something I guess.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

SpaceX Dragon capsule.

That was paid for and flown by NASA.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

None of these flights do that though? Nothing that both craft did is new or novel, they are largely rehashes of the same tech we already have. SpaceX and even Electron are leaps and bounds ahead in doing actual groundbreaking work.

I mean if you’re saying virgin galactic is just an X-15 carrying passengers dragon is just a larger Apollo command module. It’s all a bit dumb. Prior to today there was no air launched single stage to space passenger spacecraft, now there is. That’s something.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Fareed would ask something like "so is branson going to space?" And NdGT just went like, "no" and broke out a globe going to town on explaining why it isn't space. Just Neil being Neil.

His entire bit can be summed up basically as saying "Shepard did this in the 60s" and "no that isn't space."

I finally found the apogee as 282,000ft which indeed does not meet the FAI definition of space which is the Karman line at 100km. That’s not binding on anyone however and US defines space as 50miles.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Did you not see the mess of poo poo we left behind in Iraq?

And there's a goddamn port there, we could have pulled a bunch of equipment out with relative ease. And there's no easy way of bringing poo poo into Afghanistan, let alone back out.

Kinda makes you think, maybe we should booby trap the equipment before leaving. If they're ultimately going to turn up in Taliban hands, why not make it interesting for the first few days of the abandonment?

Oh wait international laws.

Doesn't the US not recognize the applicable treaties?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I guess the complication here is that its theoretically all being handed over to an ally.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Y'all wanna read some of the most racist poo poo I've seen in a while courtesy of one of the members of the Lincoln project? The second tweet in this thread alone, woof.

https://twitter.com/SteveSchmidtSES/status/1415429331468365829

It really takes off in the second tweet.
https://twitter.com/SteveSchmidtSES/status/1415429333397786636

I don't actually think very much American "treasure" was invested in the country.

https://twitter.com/SteveSchmidtSES/status/1415429335452950533

I'm not sure how Karzai being a land surveyor or a slave owning plantation owner would help. I'm sure they'd have a lot of notes to share on grifting though. https://ivn.us/2016/11/28/modern-lessons-george-washingtons-expense-accounts
edit: i'm not as familiar with washington's land speculation but I'm sure theres some spectacular self dealing there

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 15, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Hey look, the Freedom Fone is a big ol' grift with massive security issues!

https://twitter.com/MikaelThalen/status/1415767595102314496?s=19

The article just appears to be saying that all MediaTek devices are insecure which is completely ridiculous.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

They were a Challenger 2 tank commander, supposedly

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

To be fair to the tanker: What are these guys shooting at? I see one crewman briefly, but it doesn't look like they could hit him from down there.

Wouldn't you rather fully disable the vehicle than take potshots at something that can speed away from you quickly and turn the coax on your little fire team?

The guy with a UA baseball cap in the last image is crouching and able to touch the treads, I assume the point of the exercise is “tag you’re immobile” to simulate that guy placing a satchel charge or whatever

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I assume he’s referring to this constitution in the second picture.

quote:

ARTICLE VIII

[SEC. 1. The Legislature shall have no power to pass laws for the emancipation of slaves."]

["SEC. 2. No citizen, or other person residing in this State, shall have power by deed, or will, to take effect in this State, or out of it, in any manner whatsoever, directly or indirectly, to emancipate his slave or slaves."]

["SEC. 3. The Legislature shall have no power to pass any law to prevent immigrants to this State, from bringing with them such persons of the negro race as are deemed slaves by the laws of any of the Confederate States of America; provided, that slaves who have committed any felony may be excluded from this State."]

["SEC. 4. In the prosecution of slaves for crimes of a higher grade than petit larceny, the Legislature shall have no power to deprive them of a trial by jury, except in cases arising under the laws concerning insurrection of slaves."]

["SEC. 5. Any person who shall maliciously dismember, or deprive a slave of life, shall suffer such punishment as would be inflicted in case the like offence had been committed upon a free white person, and on the like proof; except when such slave has committed, or attempted to commit, a rape on a white female, or in case of insurrection of such slave."]

["SEC. 6. The Legislature shall have power to pass laws which will oblige the owners of slaves to treat them with humanity."]

Wow, how progressive!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

4. The activation code for a B83 nuclear bomb.

It’s the same as my luggage!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

What is a sovereign citizen even doing protesting an election

The US "protests" foreign elections all the time!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

not caring here posted:

This is the amazing logic that I don't get. Not being any part of the US system means you are going to get... less punishment? No punishment? All paths from this logic lead to MORE punishment. But all this magic word bullshit apparently won't let worse punishment happen. Or something.

I believe the phrase is "caput gerat lupinum", ie "may he wear a wolf's head" which means that you can be killed freely. Thats the original meaning of "outlaw" - being outside the law.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

So by this logic we can kill all sovcits without penalty is that what they want this is so confusing.

Thats literally what they're saying as per a common law tradition! No legal system actually accepts sov citizen arguments so no you can't go around killing them.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

As long as you were just following orders and you’re really sorry you’ll be fine.

It worked for Speer.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I see now he actually served 20 years. For some reason I thought he got out in less than 5, I probably mixed that up with an alarming number of lower level nazis.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

Hillary Clinton has entered the chat.

The FBI seems to love wasting resources on counterintelligence investigations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

Lol at requiring bikini bottoms. What the gently caress

Its probably the main reason the IOC actually added beach volleyball too.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bengy81 posted:

There are little things with supply chain that seem to be getting worse and not better, and I kind of feel unnerved by the fact nobody is really talking about it.

And there’s a bipartisan movement to gum up the works even more with a “harder stance” on China!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rifles posted:

I was born in and still live in Ohio. It has some cool stuff like Amish baked goods and the National Museum of the Air Force and uhhh my family and dogs..

Don’t forget rollercoasters!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And a much cleaner B-36 than Pima's. *AND* the Memphis Belle. *AND* the only static B-2A on display (even though it's a test article that never flew). *AND* the only YF-23 near-ish to the East Coast.

*AND* Culvers, Swenson's, Steak & Shake, and White Castle all in the same state.

And Dayton is an extremely short drive out of the state! Then its only what 90 minutes through Ohio-2 to an actual city!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Spaghetti and chili is an ohio river valley thing, its in Louisville as well.

My wife is from Louisville, really spaghetti with chili is fine its skyline thats bad.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The problem is they don’t use meaningful amounts of chili powder because Ohio is the Midwest and black pepper is too spicy

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

a Deputy District Attorney in my courthouse is sick as poo poo. He told me months ago that he was fully vaccinated. He could have been lying, but we have since been told by his office that someone employed in that office has tested positive this week. I don't know for certain that those two events are connected but uh, common sense and all certainly suggests that's the case.

The covid vaccines, and the flu shot for that matter, prevent the disease from killing you or putting you in the hospital. You can be incredibly sick without needing to be in the hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Oofx1000000000000

Can’t wait to get to the ER and be 100th on the upgrade list for an ICU room.