Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Love it that a Black woman gets booted for smoking weed and there are undoubtedly dozens of athletes, probably Russian, hopped up on dimethyl-9 glucosanal corticopopanal-32 or whatever other cocktail cooked up in a FSB lab to be undetectable by a test that are still allowed to compete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Apparently they’re Moors, a black group that’s adjacent to sov cits.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewalsh/2021/07/03/biden-reacts-to-shacarri-richardson-suspension-the-rules-are-the-rules/?sh=47e3f6cf4aa2

quote:

After sprinter Sha’Carri Richardson was suspended from the U.S. Olympic team due to a positive marijuana test, President Joe Biden reacted Saturday by arguing “the rules are the rules,” opting not to criticize a penalty that’s drawn sharp backlash this week.

But don’t worry, Ice Cream Grandpa is “really proud” of how she responded to having her dreams crushed over something that 100% of people surveyed indicate was totally loving stupid and outdated 20 years ago. :rolleyes:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/clairlemon/status/1411083841113006087

Here it is: the absolute worst take- claiming Sha’Carri Richardson is a steroid user because of her hair and nails, and that her getting kicked off for THC was cover to keep the rest of the team viable for competition. And she repeatedly doubles down on it.

She founded Quillette, that rag that had run people like Andy Ngo.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/Terrence_STR/status/1412443556363620352

Strong “well well, if it isn’t the consequences of my own actions” vibes from being a racist harassing his neighbors while yelling out his home address on video.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

A jersey pocket can hold an LCP or a subcompact Glock pretty easily. I hate the idea of needing to carry while riding but maybe this rear end in a top hat will think twice about pulling something cute with his truck when he gets out of jail/the hospital.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/kyodo_english/status/1413122908667269121

What was the point of holding the Olympics again, other than to line the pockets of some officials?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

And meanwhile, it turns out that the old, hyper-creepy, hyper-online Cat Person story from a few years ago also involved some weird, creepy borderline-stalking from the author too. Yiiiiiiikes.

Original "story": https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/12/11/cat-person

https://twitter.com/Slate/status/1413071752373186562?s=19

Both of these were profoundly unsettling reads. I remember reading the original piece in the New Yorker and thought it was just kind of weird and gross, and re-reading it today in conjunction with that Slate piece underscored that. Just skin crawling vibes all around.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I’m not really a finance person but does this look shady as hell to anyone else?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/08/wells-fargo-is-shutting-down-all-personal-line-of-credit-accounts-.html

quote:

July 8 (Reuters) - Wells Fargo & Co (WFC.N) is shutting down all existing personal lines of credit and is not offering the consumer lending product anymore, CNBC reported on Thursday, citing letters from the bank.

The product, which usually gave users $3,000 to $100,000 in revolving credit lines, was pitched as a way to consolidate higher-interest credit-card debt, pay for home renovations or avoid overdraft fees on linked checking accounts, the report said.

Customers have been given a 60-day notice that their accounts will be shuttered, according to the report.

Wells Fargo did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment.

The move comes more than a year after the bank suspended home equity loans, given the economic uncertainty fueled by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The fallout from the pandemic also prompted the bank to stop providing loans to a majority of its independent auto dealer customers last year.

Apparently they’ve advised customers that this could adversely affect their credit score.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

There is no amount of money, nor IV antibiotics, that you could use to convince me to wade through that water.

Source: lived in NYC for a few years and have seen...things...in the subway system.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1413595082238873607

This is the first time I’ve heard Madison Cawthorn speak and now I’m wondering how he got elected to national office without hitting puberty first.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

I may be an rear end in a top hat for this, but I’d love for a mil base to be named after Obama just because of how chuds would react.

Even better would be if Bragg got renamed for Obama, or one of the big Texas bases.

Joint Base Hillary Rodham Clinton-Michelle Obama

Camp Malia
The President Barack Obama Orbital Weapons Platform

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

Apparently Chicago is having a really bad problem with carjackings lately, with a ton of them being done by armed kids/teens.

https://youtu.be/2Qpl9aBTEcY

Same in DC- grand theft autos are up something like 600% over last year. Even controlling for COVID, that’s a lot. We had one really ugly case where a 13 and 15 year old girl tried to carjack an Ubereats driver, which led to him getting killed in the car accident that resulted from the struggle over the car. Both girls took plea deals that will see them in juvenile detention until they’re 21 in exchange for not being tried as adults.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

Glad bikes have their own lanes here

Which we frequently get to share with double parked cars and drunk or careless pedestrians. Oh and don’t you dare put in protected cycling lanes because of ~mY sTrEeT pArKiNg~.

It’s really damned if you do, damned if you don’t. I’ve had poo poo thrown at me and drivers try to pick fights with me for actually following the law. Maybe it would be nice if people had a little more empathy for others instead of flying into a murderous rage when confronted with a momentary delay.

Was Dawkins-Style Atheist vs. Crossfitter the first match?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Literally a Nazi comic.

Uhhhhh holy poo poo you weren’t kidding

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

drat, SOF boards have tankies, too?

The only SOF guy on the hard left that I can think of is Stan Goff, a former Delta operator, Ranger and SF guy who got deeply involved with anti-war activism and the far left after he left the service.

Also, if the board that Mustang was referencing was Professional Soldiers (run for and by current SF soldiers) then yeah- they’re creepy as hell these days. The members of that forum were part of what dissuaded me from doing 18X like 10-12 years ago (that and reading GIP). I checked the forums there before the inauguration and they had people discussing this QAnon claim that the military raided some place in Germany to recover a server that had proof of election fraud. I think they also deleted a bunch of threads about the Capitol insurrection as well. poo poo is creepy and toxic.

Meanwhile, almost 100 dead and 1300 missing in Germany and Belgium from the floods. It seems like all of those things we were warned about in the 1990s are starting to happen, but my dudes have you heard of this Critical Race Theory thing?! That’s clearly what we should be tackling instead of the West Coast tiptoeing being uninhabitable and the rest of the world experiencing 100-year weather events on a monthly basis.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

This kind of poo poo has been happening all year. Violent crime is up significantly in DC, which isn’t uncommon for summer, but it’s getting a lot of attention because it’s spilling into neighborhoods that historically haven’t had much violent crime. Aside from opportunistic robberies and such, most violent crime in DC is pretty targeted and linked to neighborhood “crews” (small, tightly localized gangs) than it is random. Nats Stadium itself is usually fine but the adjacent neighborhoods aren’t so great, so it wouldn’t be outlandish if some neighborhood drama spilled out near the stadium.

It’s just been weird in DC in general. Lot more people on edge or with a short fuse. I tend to avoid the major nightlife corridors on weekends, though that’s mostly because I have two dogs who demand constant walks and play sessions.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

piL posted:

On paper the Tactical Unit Ballistic and Grenade Incept and Reconnaissance Laser seems to surpass it in every way, but rumor is that implementation has been a shitshow.

Yeah, but the few pictures released of that system have been heavily pixelated and it's impossible to determine how effective it really is.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh wow, on a similar note I listened to a podcast where an infosec auditing team was hired by a high tech company in the US to audit their factory security, and the team included a guy fluent in Chinese. While they were in the town in the middle of nowhere Midwest he went to a Chinese restaurant and looked at the menu in Chinese and saw they had black duck eggs. The guy realized no way a Chinese place in the middle of Nebraska or somewhere similar would offer something like that if they didn’t have ton of people from China in town all the time, and it wound up being a major espionage discovery with the FBI called in.

Ep. 21 of Darknet Diaries, great show

I listened to this on your recommendation and now I’m absolutely hooked. Thanks!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

This is the most rage inducing article I’ve read since like yesterday at least.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/07/18/idaho-housing-market/

quote:

The Boise area had an average of 25 active buyers for each available house, many of whom were investors who offered to pay above asking price with all cash, which meant hundreds of first-time buyers had spent months trying and failing to find a home. Their standard offers now typically included a personal note written to the seller.

“Here’s a picture my 5-year-old drew of our family in your beautiful backyard,” wrote one first-time buyer, as part of an offer on a two-bedroom home in April.

“I’m an Army veteran and a fifth generation Idahoan,” wrote another first-time buyer. “My salary’s stayed the same for the last five years while housing prices tripled. I’m worried I’ll have to leave this state I love.”

“This is our 23rd offer, but now we’re convinced that God is at work, because seeing your home convinced us that the other 22 were not right for us.”

“Please, no more love letters,” one agent had written in her listing. “All offers will be considered. This is strictly a financial transaction.”

quote:

Carl and Vickie Foster had retired from their CPA business in Portland, Ore., moved to Idaho for its beauty and affordability in 2014, and begun buying real estate close to wherever their children and grandchildren lived. During the pandemic, they’d seen their equity grow each month, and they’d used some of that new wealth to buy more homes. They’d sold a house in Arizona and then used the proceeds to purchase two more houses. They’d sold another and bought two more, sold and bought more, until finally they’d accumulated 21 houses across six states. They owned farms in Oregon, suburban houses in Idaho, and a 17th story penthouse in downtown Minneapolis. They’d bought half a dozen properties since the pandemic began, and now they hoped to buy at least one more before the end of the weekend.

And to think that the boomer scum who own 21 houses in six states are at the milder end of the spectrum when compared to the investment firms that are gobbling up real estate left and right to rent back to people at exorbitant rates. I think the cowards at the Post left the comments off on this one because they knew that people would probably use the platform to storm Jeff Bezos’ house while he’s off on his special little space adventure.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Pretty sure there’s no proper way for someone with better-than-layman’s medical knowledge to treat penetrating head trauma in a pre-hospital environment. It was a better decision to check for other bleeds that he actually could treat with the usual contents of an IFAK.

And wtf gently caress this dude for shooting at paramedics and firefighters.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

sometimes you need a good guy with....landscaping bricks? To stop a bad guy with a gun.

https://twitter.com/GenWmTSherman/status/1420034337567805459?s=20

I carry a Block 19 because its ceramic frame is undetectable by metal detectors. Never know when you’re going to have to dynamically engage a disruptive threat or tactically shore up a retaining wall.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/DCist/status/1420788186385690624

God loving dammit.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

At this point I’m loving through with people who are willingly unvaccinated. gently caress the vaccine hesitant, gently caress the all-natural wine mommy bloggers who are worried about CHEMICALS IN THE VACCINES, and double-gently caress the Chuds who won’t get vaccinated because they think it helps Biden. The time for carrots has passed- bring on the sticks. No more cash payouts or lotteries to entice the unvaccinated- your prize is that you get to join the civilized world and go to restaurants and live what passes for a normal life these days. The impending wave of restrictions are such a slap in the face for those of us who put our lives on hold in 2020, wore the masks and scrounged for vaccines in March and April of this year.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

The vaccine fairy could visit every of-age American in the night and the epidemic would continue. Children and Delta make it so.

Public masking should have continued till children could become immunized. This order is a good step.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1420879343312674817

You’re 100% right about the pandemic continuing and also that the mask guidance shouldn’t have been lifted until kids could get vaccinated as well. That’s part of why I’m so pissed that we’re having to do this again. Whole lotta people in government and industry desperately wanted to declare victory over COVID and walking it back sure must suck.

My work is talking about bringing back international work travel as soon as September and I’d rather resign first.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

TCD posted:

With international travel, there's no way this isn't the new normal. The US only has about 50% flu shot rate, we're going to be with COVID for a long time. I just hope my kid can get a jab soon so the family has a best shot at avoiding serious illness.

My agency has been talking about returning people to the field and reestablishing our international presence. One of the major parts of the feasibility of this is whether or not the people going to the field are vaccinated, but the high transmissibility of Delta even by vaccinated people is likely going to upend that (and it should.) So much of the world is still struggling with like 2% vaccination rates so introducing someone who could potentially be an asymptomatic spreader would be a huge moral issue in addition to being a potential PR disaster if someone could make the case that they were linked to a localized outbreak.

I’m also having a hard time with this way of thinking:

https://twitter.com/evanhill/status/1420943285548376069

If the qualifier of a mild case is the metric of “not being hospitalized and being put on supplemental o2” but doesn’t take into account long COVID or potential cognitive decline then we are in for some rough loving years. The tweets FI posted earlier are a little reassuring but I’m not feeling much else than a bit crushed by recent developments.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Imagine being a White House aid who has spent their entire career climbing the rungs of power to get to this position and NOT throwing it all away at the opportunity to write “Mr. President, you have BOFA on your chin.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Speaking of Bob Odenkirk, he's gonna be ok

https://twitter.com/mrbobodenkirk/status/1421195993291309057?s=20