Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cugel the Clever posted:

Shatner is following in the steps of Larry King to host an infotainment show on RT. In typical Shatner fashion, he's gone into attack mode against those calling him out for serving as a stooge for ol' buddy Vlad.

https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/1410607617223786511?s=19
https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/1410408176202125313?s=19
https://twitter.com/wiczipedia/status/1410643798774984712?s=19

Given that Shatner is 90 I'd wonder if these decisions are signs of possible elder abuse by his handlers like Stan Lee, but on the other hand it's Shatner so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

GD_American posted:

Shatner was also a colossal rear end in a top hat under all that charm, like his entire life. I'm shocked most of his ex-cast members ever stayed friendly with him. Probably the only reason was for the convention cash (and that wasn't enough for James Doohan, who loving hated him).

Casting Tim Allen as him was inspired.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Slenderman murder girl is being released.

A kid once told me I was as tall as Slenderman. I’m only 6ft!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/1996ID4/status/1411021351012507649?s=19

There goes the holiday 96

I haven't watched Independence Day in years but I imagine it still holds up

Will Smith kicking an unconscious prisoner is never found out by his superiors. He's lucky that alien was later "shot while trying to escape."

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

It's not really a myth if it's true for the scenario. Attacking a Tiger from the front across an open field is about the dumbest thing you could possibly do. Tigers, Panthers and Tiger2s on defense did so much better than on attack. Hard to break down if you arent moving.

But yes they should have bypassed it and called in air support or outflanked it or have infantry screen. Instead a pair of 75s and a 76 went straight at it.

The screenplay sucked especially the ridiculous inability of massed infantry to deal with a broken down tank in the middle of the road but damned if they didnt scrimp on the budget for the set design and vehicles.

Yeah those are good points. I wish they had more faith in the audience so there didn’t need to be a FNG in the tank for audience perspective. Make it feel like there were prequels of the crew in North Africa and France and we’ve known them forever. Instead we get Shia LaBeouf trying to be a religious fanatic (dang that a private Ryan ripoff) and tower defense with one tower. It would have been better if the Germans shot the solitary tank from half a mile away then credits rolled.

I remember at the end when a grenade with a two minute fuse goes into the tank and gives him all the time in the world to get out. Oh well hopefully that upcoming Masters of the Air show will be good.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Guys what you’re missing about Fury is that Brad Pitt never climbed back into the tank and had some final big conversation with the new guy and then ate the grenades. That was all just a fever dream fantasy the new guy’s broken brain formed to make him feel better about everyone already being dead for hours while he hid.

They should have had Brad Pitt turn on the crew and stolen the tank to deliver to Stalin so he’d have the secrets needed to build Shermans. Why not.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I was surprised to learn we had a guy with a homemade submarine trying to attach a bomb to a British warship and it wasn’t an awful idea, and only didn’t work as when he tried to drill to attach it he was hitting the iron part of the ship bottom and panicked.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Hahaha they put Kevin Sorbo on there

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

KirbyKhan posted:

Oi making me nostalgic for the fens and the hooligans of the Queen's overcast isle. It was the 2010 World Cup and I was American in rural Britland, took my buddy to a pub to witness frothing football in person. It was the American Britain game and everything was all volleyball and ice cream because the score was Britland 1 America 0 until late late in the game. At the final hour there was a penalty shot or some poo poo, I couldn't understand but the score went 1-1. I told my buddy "we got to go" and when he asked why he got punched by the dude 3 stools down the bar and we had to start running.

10/10 nostaliga would be 20 in England again

Lol that's great. In the early 2010s in Seattle when the Seahawks got good the hooligan bandwagoning was weird. They kept attacking fans in opposing team jerseys even when it made no sense, like a Vikings fan after a game the Seahawks won, or a Jaguars fan when they weren't even playing Jacksonville.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Numerous well-placed Americans walked into the Soviet embassy in Washington at the height of the Cold War and volunteered their services, and the FBI didn’t catch them.

I mean, I don’t recommend trying it, but it’s not beyond the realm of possibility that American intelligence is that incompetent.

Oh yeah Robert Hanssen was not subtle.

quote:

In 1993, Mr. Hanssen sought out a Russian agent in a parking garage and tried to give him a package with classified data, the report says. The overture was ''remarkable for its recklessness and self-destructive quality,'' it says, and the Russians were so concerned that they were being set up that they filed a formal protest with the United States government. But the investigation never led to Mr. Hanssen.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

PookBear posted:

the vast majority of olympic events are boring as absolute gently caress

Not gonna disagree, when my dad was stationed in West Germany at the time of the Munich games they’d be given free tickets to watch the speed walking event. He still went as it was the Olympics but not a thrilling time.

The most exciting one I can remember was the Vancouver hockey games when USA was playing Canada.

I wish they’d consistently have the Olympics and World Cup in cities that already have stadiums built. But yeah, corruption so it’s inconsistent.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

When watching I like the CBC coverage as they show as many live events as possible so there are cool moments like checking on the triathlon or seeing way more competition that isn’t only USA athletes. The NBC coverage wastes so much time with talking heads and trying to build narratives.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Its very shady as hell, and Wells Fargo has a legacy of shady poo poo, which is probably why they are doing this.

quote:

When Philip Poniz opened Box 105 at his local Wells Fargo, he discovered it was empty — and that he was totally unprotected by federal law.

quote:

In the days after Mr. Poniz found his box empty, he began piecing together what had happened: Wells Fargo had apparently tried to evict another customer for not keeping up with payments, and bank employees had mistakenly removed his box instead. After drilling No. 105 open, the bank shipped its contents to a storage facility in North Carolina. After Mr. Poniz discovered the loss, Wells Fargo sent back everything it had in storage, but some items had vanished.

quote:

When Wells Fargo employees opened Mr. Poniz’s box, they created an inventory that included 92 watches. When workers at the bank’s storage facility in North Carolina counted the items, they listed only 85. Also missing were dozens of rare coins that were listed in the first inventory, but not the second. According to Mr. Poniz, photographs and family documents also disappeared.

Oddly, the bank returned to him five watches that weren’t his. “They were the wrong color, the wrong size — totally different than what I had,” Mr. Poniz said. “I had no idea where they came from.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/19/business/safe-deposit-box-theft.html

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The first game owned so much. I liked how there was a different ending cinematic if you took out the NOD HQ with the ion cannon.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

lightpole posted:

Indications I'm seeing are that there won't be a 2009 repeat. The 0 down, interest only loans aren't available, lending standards are pretty decent and people are putting a large amount of cash down. I think there's also a good chunk of institutional money going in aside from private citizens. Theres a large amount of liquidity looking for a return and real estate is red hot.

My current wonder is if the private buyers are pulling together every cent to get something RIGHT NOW cause if they don't, it will be out of reach tomorrow. If that's the case, if/when prices hit the ceiling where wages can't stretch to continue price increases I think they will just be stuck in their home for a long period.

I wish we'd get a Bad Blood style book about what was going on at Washington Mutual in the final years.

quote:

"Someone in Florida had made a second-mortgage loan to O.J. Simpson, and I just about blew my top, because there was this huge judgment against him from his wife's parents," she recalled. Simpson had been acquitted of killing his wife Nicole and her friend but was later found liable for their deaths in a civil lawsuit; that judgment took precedence over other debts, such as if Simpson defaulted on his WaMu loan.

"When I asked how we could possibly foreclose on it, they said there was a letter in the file from O.J. Simpson saying 'the judgment is no good, because I didn't do it.' "

https://special.seattletimes.com/o/html/businesstechnology/2010131911_wamu25.html

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

LMAO now that we've pulled out they are full on supporting the guys. Bravo.

When we send the annual check for hundreds of millions we should put in the subject line "unfair"

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Without being well informed on the subject, which country would be most/least likely to have a nuke go missing? I'd guess NK would be most likely, maybe Israel least likely?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

CJCS discussed a plan with the other top brass to resign en masse if Trump attempted to use the military to remain in office.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1415472541985083394

Wouldn't it have been better to refuse his orders and speak to the press to explain what he's trying to do and why the military is opposing it? Wouldn't mass resignations create lots of empty seats that could be filled with yes-men? It's not like trump would care about the optics

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Chaser to all the shots of watching western Germany drown:
Have an idiot making fun of the guy in front of him drifting off...before drifting off.

https://twitter.com/Erdkadse/status/1415751684635123721

Holy cow I don't remember every lesson from driver's ed but "don't drive in flood waters" stands out.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

They already tore out the bridge, or are working on it. It's a total loss, so a lot of money is going to be spen-

:siren: SOVEREIGN CITIZEN ALERT :siren:

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1416048727702130691?s=19

Hahahaha with the capital letters to make it extra official. I had a Ron Paul delegate roommate who flirted with sovereign citizen ideas and while I agreed "orange juice cures cancer" sounded interesting I did try to discourage his excitement after he learned if cops pull you over they have to let you go if you claim to be a "traveler on the road." He had a compsci degree from a decent school but never had steady employment in Seattle as for some reason he always went through a scammy placement agency rather than directly applying to hundreds of open jobs.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The Eyes Have It posted:

I remember attending a security talk where the guy said you could tell staff "do not show your credentials to anyone outside the building" and no matter how much you emphasized "seriously, don't show it to anyone" you still had:
  • Nearby Chinese restaurant (with suspiciously low prices) that attracts all the staff
  • Restaurant is all "X" EMPLOYEES GET 15% OFF
  • Just, uh, show your badge to get the discount :mmmhmm:
And literally everyone did it all day every day

Oh wow, on a similar note I listened to a podcast where an infosec auditing team was hired by a high tech company in the US to audit their factory security, and the team included a guy fluent in Chinese. While they were in the town in the middle of nowhere Midwest he went to a Chinese restaurant and looked at the menu in Chinese and saw they had black duck eggs. The guy realized no way a Chinese place in the middle of Nebraska or somewhere similar would offer something like that if they didn’t have ton of people from China in town all the time, and it wound up being a major espionage discovery with the FBI called in.

Ep. 21 of Darknet Diaries, great show

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

+1 for Darknet Diaries. Great listen.

Oh yeah goofy name for a show but I’ve learned so much, like why no name podcasts dominate the iTunes charts then vanish (paying someone in India with 50,000 accounts to download and review) or basic tips to secure your IRS info I didn’t know.

An insane one is ep 39, 3 Alarm Lamp Scooter that takes such a weird plot twist I’d think it was made up but then I saw mainstream news confirming it.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 19, 2021

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I listened to this on your recommendation and now I’m absolutely hooked. Thanks!

You're welcome!

Milo and POTUS posted:

What exactly would they be doing in Nebraska anyway?

It's been while since I listened so I don't remember the exact state and I don't think they mention the company name, but it was because it was something like a Boeing or Raytheon plant where they were researching or making something like guidance computers. The infosec auditors weren't looking for foreign espionage, they were there to test if they could get inside the plant to a sensitive area so security could be improved. It just happened that one of the auditors I believe was from Russia with extensive background in Chinese and in his off time happened to go to a nearby restaurant where he saw red flags and understood what they likely meant, in regards to China having a significant presence in the town.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

This is the most rage inducing article I’ve read since like yesterday at least.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/07/18/idaho-housing-market/

And to think that the boomer scum who own 21 houses in six states are at the milder end of the spectrum when compared to the investment firms that are gobbling up real estate left and right to rent back to people at exorbitant rates. I think the cowards at the Post left the comments off on this one because they knew that people would probably use the platform to storm Jeff Bezos’ house while he’s off on his special little space adventure.

Oh yeah the Post is bad about that. Bezos could have set up the Post as an independent entity and given them plenty of cash if he really felt like advancing journalism but he chose to own them instead. I don't care if they claim they have editorial independence, it's like how the Elon Musk Press probably wouldn't run investigative journalism into Tesla plant conditions. At least Bloomberg was open about how his news agencies would be used to support his presidential run.

Wow that boomer hording houses is bad. A friend's dad was up to four houses including three in Seattle but in his defense one was in the process of being sold and another was inherited then sold, so he's down to two. I guess that's still not great.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

god motherfuck poo poo piss oval office rear end

Tom Brady made me laugh :mad:

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1417514319978274819?s=19

Dang that is a good line. This isn't gonna be Brady's last trip is it :negative:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

When the carrots aren't working, Stick 'Em. Good for the NFL.

Whoa, I just typed "good for the NFL" non-sarcastically. 2021 is weird.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1418257495550738432

I forgot they added another game to the season. Still baffling they’re sticking with putting games in London each year. I imagine it’s a Robert Moses situation where one guy who can’t be vetoed is obsessed with putting an expansion team there.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Flikken posted:

Maybe since we are leaving Afghanistan in 2021 we don't need as much spending in 2022???

It’s fascinating to read how post-Cold War there was a brief window when the US defense budget did decrease. Wonder if there’s any connection with the government running surpluses and speculation pre-2001 the debt was going to be paid off.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

I’m in Cleveland right now ama

Been to any good restaurants there?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

this was in Worthington, PA

Worthington, PA’s demographics really show why they are concerned about this:

Population est 2019: less than 600 people.

The racial makeup of the borough was 99.10% White, 0.26% African American, 0.13% Asian, 0.13% from other races, and 0.39% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.26% of the population.

A friend lives in a island community mostly based around tourism and retirees. 92.6% white, 0.3% African American. They had a lot of drama last year when a handful of BLM signs were repeatedly vandalized by a 78 year old small business owner until he finally got arrested. Dude lives in one of the most lily white spots in the country and is more likely to spot an orca whale each day than a black person and still the concept of them existing is enough to drive him into a rage.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

US Berder Patrol posted:

actually it's piles of gold bars as I learned from the film Die Hard: With a Vengeance

That movies owns up until the last 10 minutes. So many great NYC set pieces but the grand finale is at a Quebec border crossing? It was weird how his goons are still plentiful and armed with plenty of guns ready to fight and they just don't show what happens to them when they go charging out in the trucks.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

wut

eta: reading the alternate ending on Wikipedia, poo poo is wild

The rocket launcher ending is on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-GqY-M5fE4

Were there four possible endings?
-Actual ending in film of border crossing helicopter crash
-Simon gets away but McClane tracks him down (filmed but not used)
-Bomb hidden on plane (not filmed)
-First draft of script had Simons plan be to put the garbage trucks through a scrapper, load most of the gold onto a ship to be sunk in the Atlantic, and he gets away with some of the gold. McClane puts on a bomb on a truck going into the scrapper and the explosion takes out Simon's crew, then McClane breaks his neck in a fight: https://www.scriptslug.com/assets/uploads/scripts/die-hard-with-a-vengeance-1995.pdf

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Immanentized posted:

Frankly the more efficient way to do it is to have complementary and nested businesses geographically close to one another-
Say a nail salon, a barber shop, a laundromat and a dry cleaners. The nail salon and barbershop.get their capes dry cleaned, the laundromat buys change from the other businesses and all of them serve a community need.

Best part is- they're all cash heavy with lower overhead costs compared to food service.

Note: I teach risk and fraud analysis management, so this is an academic example not a practical one.

How well does that thing from movies work when bank robbers take like a $100k to a casino, play for a few hours and maybe lose $5k, then cash out their chips? Or is that not really money laundering?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

devmd01 posted:

Yuuuup. My buddy’s dealer years ago got a warning from chase about too many $40/$80/$etc deposits from Venmo on a regular basis and suggested that he knock it off. They’re watching.

That's part of how they busted superhero Phoenix Jones after an undercover cop paid him $300 on Venmo for MDMA

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

That Works posted:

Most everyone I know in the Boston area has had to take or at the least threaten legal action to get deposits back. None of them had any realistic damages either.

In Seattle area moved after 5 years and didn’t get deposit back but not for the scratch on the sliding glass door or melted rubber in carpet, but because of damage to the countertops? They had been in good shape but whatever it would have been something.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Let's check on William H. Macy

quote:

Schanda Handley was at home with her daughter and a neighbor when two men showed up at the door, dressed in what looked like blue uniforms from an appliance store.

They had a carpet steamer and asked Ms. Handley if they could demonstrate it for her. When she said no, the men forced their way into her house at gunpoint, put a hood over her head and handcuffed her and her neighbor, she said.

The kidnappers had been hired by Ms. Handley’s estranged husband, Lawrence Michael Handley, who was planning to have Ms. Handley driven to his camp near Woodville, Miss., from her home in Lafayette, La., prosecutors said. What he planned to do after that was not clear, the authorities said.

But as the men drove east on Interstate 10 on Aug. 6, 2017, with Ms. Handley handcuffed in the back, sheriff’s deputies noticed the van was swerving and tried to stop it, prosecutors said.

The men, Sylvester Bracey and Arsenio Haynes, drove off the interstate, turned down a dead-end gravel road, and were penned in by the police, prosecutors said. Both men tried to escape by swimming through a canal, prosecutors said. They drowned.

On Monday, nearly four years later, Mr. Handley, 53, pleaded guilty to two counts of second-degree kidnapping and one count of attempted second-degree kidnapping, prosecutors said. He faces 15 to 35 years in prison. A sentencing date has not been set.

quote:

A once successful businessman, Mr. Handley had run software and vitamin businesses and had been the chief executive of a series of drug treatment centers that sold in 2015 in a deal worth about $21 million, Ms. Handley said.

He subjected Ms. Handley to hundreds of threats, once telling her “Armageddon is coming,” as they went through a divorce, she said. For two months, she said, she had live-in security at her house.

“I knew he was coming to get me,” she said.

Mr. Handley’s lawyer, Kevin Stockstill, said in an interview that his client had been using methamphetamine and cocaine for days when he hatched the plan to have his wife kidnapped. He said that Mr. Handley had planned to “come in as a hero” and rescue Ms. Handley in an effort to “win her back.”

“It was certainly not logical thinking, but when you’re doing a lot of meth and cocaine, I guess it seemed rational to him,” Mr. Stockstill said. “It turned out to be a terrible decision.”

Detective Jared Istre of the Lafayette Police Department, who investigated the case, found video of Mr. Handley planning the kidnapping as well as checklists that he had made and evidence showing that he rented the van and bought the handcuffs used by the two kidnappers, prosecutors said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/30/...-breadth_append

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

That's like in Korea when Marines were getting shot at by American made Thompsons, often wielded by former Nationalist troops who had (not always voluntarily) switched teams.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Bill Burr is an rear end in a top hat. These people are fascists

I enjoy him in Better Call Saul & Mandalorian but F is for family was bad. A man of contrasts.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

GD_American posted:

I'm over 40, and love Bill Burr (mostly) and Laura Dern (totally), and I thought it was a fizzle.

Burr's at his best with observational bits; his whole "things were different in my day" schtick is his least interesting act.

I liked some gags like the kids running off to play with zero supervision and the parents being fine with it as it’s the 70s, or how thrilled he was to watch an awful Midwestern football team in a terrible stadium, but a lot of it began to fall into cliches. His boss is fat, that’s the joke. This other character is gay and his wife doesn’t notice.

The gross out humor got a bit much and felt like a crutch. South Park has been doing that better for decades so the novelty is gone.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The american Office is just loving terrible all around. Cringe comedy was popular for a moment and they drug that poo poo out for a decade. Parks and Rec is only marginally better, because of casting, the format is absolute poo poo.

The brits were right to cut scripted series down to 6-8 episodes.

I liked both when they were first airing and they took some risks and it wasn’t run into the ground. Now there are Dunder mifflin shirts everywhere and Ron swanson’s face slapped on cheap junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

There are lots of reasons to hate Jim/Pam. Kraszinski running off to do right wing propaganda was the nail in the coffin for me watching anything else he even remotely appears in.

Oh yeah jack ryan season 2 trailers had us quaking in fear hoping a hero would save us from… the Venezuelan nuclear threat?