Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Posts that belong in the news thread:

-Actual news
-Discussions of news. "Well I think this could have been averted if the engineer had not overgreased the bearing like a monkey who only knows one trick."
-Debate about news. "I disagree, over-lubbing a shaft bearing is a valid approach if one considers the Engin R DUMB theorem"

Things that don't belong in the news thread:

-Discussing other posters. "Stop licking the engineer's boot you dumb piece of poo poo."
-Ad hominem attack. "I bet you got your engineering license in a trashcan, where you belong, you engineer piece of poo poo."
-Attacks against merchant marine engineers. They already have it hard enough, the poor ginger bears.

Owing to the whole residential school thing, we’re skipping Canada Day this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Wait the rep who got shot at Jonestown is still in Congress?

That was 43 years ago, FFS.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

My base of choice for marinade is apple cider vinegar.

Fight me.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

I hope Duke of Richelieu is burning in hell for his sin of popularizing mayo in 1756. I do not wish any ill to the actual person who actually showed the duke mayo, his chef, as i assume it was meant to be a prank that went wrong.

He’s probably burning but for a whole host of other reasons.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

stealie72 posted:

Page of people arguing about BBQ sauce instead of making fun of the FAA for "forced to land the aircraft in the water"

English doesn’t have a word for landing in water, except “ditch”, which is vernacular if I’m not mistaken.

Water landing doesn’t really make sense when you think about it.

French, a clearly superior language, has a word for water landing (amerrissage) and landing on the Moon (alunissage). We also have a verb for “giving birth” which would have seemed like a given.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

A 737-200 cargo plane crashed near Hawaii today. The world is quickly running out of those planes and it’s the only airliner that can land on gravel in places like… most of the canadian north.

It’s a great loss to all of us.

Oh the pilots are fine.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

German has a word for water landing, and it's beautiful.

NOTWASSERUNG

What’s the word for “landing on Mars”? We have “amarssissage” which ugh.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

What’s “butterfly landing on Mars”? Because we don’t have that one.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

There was also some dumbass yesterday that said that seriously said ecological disasters don't happen under communism. These kinds of things generate some good photoshops for a few hours, then twitter poliposters ruin it with vibe capitalism and chernobyl-denying communism.

Chernobyl, Mayak, the Soviet whaling fleet, the Siberian oil field, that sea that isn’t there anymore…

The soviets didn’t do clean.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

We have voter ID here but everyone has a provincial health card and any piece of paper with your address (utility bill, tax paper) is enough as a second form of ID.

I think if you don’t have ID you can attest that you’re who you say you are and vote anyway.

Also we use paper ballots counted by actual people.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Ooooooof they didn’t pick someone who did some light Nazi poo poo either:

quote:

He also suggested that, as well as being a spy for the Nazis, she would have been involved in the torture of suspects, and for all of these activities, she was sentenced to death in absentia. Although Morris sourced black-market petrol for the Nazis, ran a garage for the Luftwaffe, and drove for the Nazi and Vichy hierarchy, Bonnet states that this appears to be the limit of her collaboration - and was in any case what she did before the fall of France - and that no evidence exists to support Ruffin's claim that she was involved either in spying or torturing, but perhaps that she was a suitable scapegoat, especially considering her comments before the war.[12][5] Whether or not it is accurate, her reputation for deriving pleasure from torturing people led her to become known popularly as the "hyena of the Gestapo."[3][4]

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

I wonder if all these businesses have realized that they are counting on an even more greedy business being willing to take a loss?

Nah, because underwriters syndicate risks in such a way that they don’t have extreme exposure to any one claim.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

pmchem posted:

https://twitter.com/AuroraIntel/status/1412865526691414016?s=20

oh, UAE, you hosed up the entire slate of OPEC+ talks last week and wasted everyone's time?

nice oil tanker you got there, be a shame if something happened to it

It’s a container ship

https://gcaptain.com/large-blast-rocks-ship-at-jebel-ali-port-in-dubai/

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

They’re coming to LA in 2028 :getin:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Meshka posted:

NASA is a government entity, they don’t have the risk tolerance or incentive to quickly innovate.

Seriously, it took them years to go from Mercury to Apollo 11.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Meshka posted:

Completely different industries and they already are doing a better job.

…because the government completely defunded NASA and forced them to use ULA and SpaceX?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Nah, you're wrong.

Fascism emerges from failed democracy and slavery has happened in lots of different political systems and didn't really happen much in fascism beyond forced labor camps which is different from chattel slavery.

While it doesn’t meet the exact dictionary of fascism, a system where the economy relies on part of the population being enslaved on the basis of their race certainly shares some characteristics.

Just because the Greeks did it doesn’t mean it’s good.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I hope they rolled their own crypto.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Man was not meant to mine.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

I see now he actually served 20 years. For some reason I thought he got out in less than 5, I probably mixed that up with an alarming number of lower level nazis.

You’re thinking of the rocket Nazis.

If you’re going to follow order in a genocide paradigm, make sure to develop a skillset that is highly valuable to the competition!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

One of the girls in my grad school cohort was a beach volleyball pro. She showed up late to winter quarter cause she was competing in a snow volleyball tournament.

Fuuuuuuck that.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Getting sweaty in cold weather is the worst thing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

They’ll go to “JIT with buffers”, thesis will be written on how to optimize these buffers (basically just reapplying TOC calculations with the numbers filled off) and millions will be made in consulting.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Alabama's governor is pissed at the unvaccinated people:

https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1418409503578632195

Oh my god I was wrong
It was real all along

Oh I’ve finally made a monkey
Yes I’ve finally made a monkey
Yes I’ve finally made a monkey out of me!

I love you Dr Fauci!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

This is bad. Very bad.

Christ titty gently caress this is bad.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Thats not how cryptocurrency works. It has to be mined into existence, if it could just be programmed into existence then people WOULD just program it into existence.

And there you have it, the reason why cryptocurrencies are worthless.

Anyone can make a new one tomorrow.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Do y’all think that banks send each other suitcases of cash back and forth?

Currency went digital decades ago, and it doesn’t involve proof of work.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

Uh…. They do? It’s like the whole purpose of the armored truck industry.

Cash is a tiny, tiny proportion of interbank transactions. Like vanishingly small.

It’s all wires nowadays, and those are done over the internet. There’s still some amount of manual work involved, because when you’re moving a billion dollars, you really want to take the time there’s no typos.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Isn't a lot of cash just sitting around at federal reserve banks and vaults, and they just change the name on who owns what pile as money shifts from bank to bank?

I seem to remember this kinda being the case.

In some cases yes, but nowadays it’s mostly a database type deal. I like to think it’s one big excel spreadsheet.

It’s entirely possible for, say, Royal Bank of Canada to borrow a billion from the Bank of Canada, sell that billion CAD for 800 million USD to the Royal Bank of Scotland who loans it to Lloyd’s Bank to disburse as a loan to ABC Constructions to buy a parcel of land from XYZ Holdings without a single paper dollar moving.

This happens inside of a few hours, at most, and could be automated in theory.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Not really, bank “reserves” are pretty much digital nowadays.

A mid sized bank is swinging billions of dollars back and forth every day, there’s no way the physical currency could keep up.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Hekk posted:

Yeah it’s this. I am stupid as hell about the subject and phone posting but the idea is that banks create massive multiples of money through lending and borrowing that gets really complicated.

So if I borrow 10,000 dollars from the bank, it’s highly likely that the money is getting deposited into another bank somewhere. Unless there is SOME percentage of money that banks must keep on hand, that bank can in turn lend all of that money out, where it gets deposited somewhere else and lent out over and over infinitely.

So that 10k in actual money turns into millions of dollars in electronic currency that is lent over and over and over.

Yeah but the bank’s reserve not in a vault. It’s in an account somewhere.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

Y’all really don’t know how much money is in circulation.

You’re vastly underestimating how much money actually gets moved around electronically. A million bucks is nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

It’s august now.