Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GD_American posted:

Yep. Upon reading the details, I don't really have a problem with this. Served 3.5 years of a 25 year sentence in a mental health facility, will be monitored until she's 37 and the sentence runs out. I'm sure if the victim was in my family I'd be mad, but this makes sense.

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/01/1012330011/judge-orders-release-of-wisconsin-woman-in-slender-man-case

Good.
12 year olds have no business being tried as adults ever, the entire point of sentencing someone to mental health facilities is to treat them, and what the gently caress you prosecutor scum

quote:

Prosecutors countered that Weier remains dangerous and will have a hard time making friends, which could lead her to associate with mentally disturbed people.

"Hey, being locked up in the funny farm for her entire adolescence really messed her up, can't let a messed up person out."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Fuckin' dollar store Slate pitches.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I'm glad I don't come from a place with its own barbecue style so I can just enjoy any item of any style I want, or even contemporary "pitmaster" fusion and innovation.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The Olympics is no place for those whose bodies are naturally superior to the average person.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Moorish Science Temple are Muslim, similar to Nation of Islam or Five Percenters.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

"You should be doing it for the passion, not the money!" is the biggest line of bullshit in American capitalism. As a teacher, I have hated it for a loooooong time.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Happy July 4th!
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1146996636561870849

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

It is a sad historic fact that the Colonial Air Force disbanded after the revolution and only came back in the National Security Act of 1947

While the airports line was the funniest, I think too little attention was paid to getting the Revolutionary war battle of Yorktown mixed up with the siege of Fort McHendry (sic) during the War of 1812.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

boop the snoot posted:

I’m ok with requiring voter id requirements.

…if IDs are free and automatically sent to people along with an obnoxious government funded marketing campaign that starts a year in advance of elections to apply for your free replacement.

They’d still find a way to gently caress people.

And if the ID requirement doesn't kick in until the government can verify that everyone has one.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Eason the Fifth posted:

I'm 100% okay with showing that women can also, in fact, be incredibly lovely

but like with lovely men, hagiographies are bad business

Defenestrategy posted:

If this person is being genuine and not actually trying to put a collaborator on a pedestal, it's still a really weird thing to post a Nazi Collaborator as an example of Women doing horrible poo poo. I mean hell, post Olga of Kiev for basically firebombing an entire city and then cutting down or enslaving anyone who fled.

Morris was genuinely a boundary breaking pioneer for women and queer people. And she was genuinely a monster who tortured people for the Gestapo. Honestly, if she had only been a collaborator she'd still be worth mentioning - she was ruined and blacklisted by France for being an overtly masculine queer woman so really gently caress France. But torturing people for the Gestapo... hard pass.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CommieGIR posted:

Oh no, I wasn't claiming its new.

This may be the only thing that forces change, actually, as the instance of ransomware is increasing, and Cybersecurity Insurance providers are getting sick of paying out for simple issues.

Roughly the same thing that shipping companies did with HoA piracy. They spent actual years getting hijacked before deciding it was worth the fuel costs to route a few miles farther from the coast.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/Terrence_STR/status/1412443556363620352

Strong “well well, if it isn’t the consequences of my own actions” vibes from being a racist harassing his neighbors while yelling out his home address on video.

The cops are his people.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Best Friends posted:

I shouldn't be surprised, but it's still shocking to me how much a nothing the government we propped up for 20 years actually is.

It's almost as if we're entirely incapable of conducting nation building.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/kyodo_english/status/1413122908667269121

What was the point of holding the Olympics again, other than to line the pockets of some officials?

Let me tell you about the IOC...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

Japan literally cannot cancel them. Only the IOC can.

Japan is a sovereign state and can tell them to gently caress off if they want to.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CommieGIR posted:

Japan could tell them to gently caress off, but the IOC has some crazy contracts, how else do you think they get cities to upend themselves and go on massive works projects they would never do otherwise?

Same way the NFL does.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CommieGIR posted:

Through bait and switch?

Civic leaders who either buy the "prestige and economic boom" line, or who just sell it to their constituents for the kickbacks.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Grip it and rip it posted:

You really don't enjoy watching the Olympics? It's one of the most entertaining sports spectacles ever conceived. It's also a shared experience for people from all walks of life from all over the planet.

People like the Olympics. Having it during a pandemic seems pretty stupid, bit the games themselves are pretty well loved.

There are things which in isolation I would enjoy but are rooted in such evil, greed, and corruption it ruins the experience. Most sports, for example.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Are you making this post from a Gilligan's island style coconut transmitter?

I do participate in society! You are very intelligent!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Every time I think of some awful corrupt sports deal involving European hereditary money and world dictators I have to check whether it was IOC, FIFA, or F1A.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

piL posted:

I'd like to think that's not the case any more, but I haven't really been around a lot of warrants.

I never saw anything like that.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
It's a healthy thing for a federal legislator to have a sockpuppet account right?
https://twitter.com/tobymorton/status/1413904070402789376

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

Hypocrisy doesn't work with Rs

Well no. Republicans are now pure identity politics. Nothing matters except being the right kind of people.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sentinel posted:

Huh that's pretty loving neat.
I always assumed lack of O2 would be an issue.
But I guess there must be some air sealed in the cartridge for it to still ignite.

I guess Minmitar Eve ships can exist.

The potassium nitrate in gunpowder is the oxidizer.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Jarmak posted:

Not to call you out specifically, because you're far from the first person I've seen make this mistake, but Judge Parker is a women.

And a comic strip.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

US Berder Patrol posted:

I would like to impose a Tucker Carlson tax

It's where we tax Tucker Carlson down to a one bedroom apartment and a 150k+ mileage car in a first or second ring suburb but then he has the freedom and opportunity to work his way back up by applying for wage jobs at media companies by his own merits like anybody else

dude is probably the single greatest threat to peace in our time

Sean Hannity is sitting right there.

And before them, Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly and...

America has had an inexhaustible supply of fascist demagogues since fascism was born.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

boop the snoot posted:

My favorite big brained history buffs are the ones who don’t think any of the founding fathers were fascist because they “founded democracy.”

Maybe I’m wrong or not a patriotic american for thinking it’s a bit fascist to own slaves 🤷‍♂️

Nah, you're wrong.

Fascism emerges from failed democracy and slavery has happened in lots of different political systems and didn't really happen much in fascism beyond forced labor camps which is different from chattel slavery.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FrozenVent posted:

While it doesn’t meet the exact dictionary of fascism, a system where the economy relies on part of the population being enslaved on the basis of their race certainly shares some characteristics.

Just because the Greeks did it doesn’t mean it’s good.

Just because it's bad doesn't mean it's fascism.

If fascism is going to mean anything other than "vaguely authoritarian leanings which I don't like," we need to be precise in our language. When conservatives call Democrats "the real fascists" it would be better to have a counterargument beyond NO U.

Fascism isn't a synonym for authoritarianism - and not all authoritarianism is the same. Stalin, Mao, Castro, Amin, Gaddafi - all authoritarians and none were fascist, or identical to each other. Hitler was a facist. Mussolini was a fascist. Franco was a fascist. Trump is a fascist.

BUG JUG posted:

yeah you're definitely wrong. fascism is an ideology born out of modernity and pluralist culture -- mainly as a reaction against it. the founders were (generally) -- despite their many, MANY issues -- Enlightenment idealists who believed that a democratic, open system was better than t he quasi-feudal one they were living under at the time. fascism would be completely foreign to them, and once it was explained to them they'd find it abhorrent.

This is a key part. Fascism basically couldn't exist in the 18th century.
Read Robert Paxton, the most definitive scholar studying the precise nature and history of fascist movements. This is his summary of what makes for fascism, though you really should read his writing for context and explanation:

quote:

- a sense of overwhelming crisis beyond the reach of traditional solutions
- the primacy of the group, toward which one has duties superior to every right
- the belief that one’s group is a victim, a sentiment that justifies any action without legal or moral limits against its enemies
- dread of the group’s decline under the corrosive effects of individualistic liberalism, class conflict, and alien influences
- the need for closer integration of a purer community, by consent if possibly or exclusionary violence if necessary
- the need for authority by natural chiefs (always male), culminating in a national chieftain who alone is capable of incarnating the group’s historic destiny
- the superiority of the leader’s instincts over abstract and universal reason
- the beauty of violence and efficacy of the will when they are devoted to the group’s success
- the right of the chosen people to dominate others without restraint from any kind of law, right being decided by the sole criterion of the group’s prowess in Darwinian struggle

The Founders were absolutely not fascist.
Trumpism is the most successful genuine American fascism movement in the country's history and it still has a good chance of winning.

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 13, 2021

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Best Friends posted:

I dipped into the Hell of Presidents podcast and got my mind blown by the idea that to the founders, 'liberty' = 'property'

Went a long way to clearing up the contradictions that have always bugged me

John Locke says "hi."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dubya is crying about the Afghanistan withdrawal because Afghan women and girls will suffer unspeakable harm.

Hey maybe he should have put resources and competent people in charge of rebuilding instead of treating it like a distraction from his lifelong goal of annexing Iraq's oilfields.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Bored As gently caress posted:

https://twitter.com/kathrynw5/status/1415306113726226436?s=19

I nay have opened up a can of worms but I found this tweet too funny not to share.

It's an old saw but pretty accurate. Of course, nobody wants bikes to obey traffic laws. I get yelled at, brake-checked, and things thrown at me by motorists when I do things like stop at signs and lights and ride in a lane.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Literally a Nazi comic.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Calling cover for a heart attack

Except he's been publicly unable to stop hiccuping for a month.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

joat mon posted:

The wobble, that we've known about for almost 300 years, slightly increases tides over a nine year period, and sightly decreases them over the next nine years. It's just that there are some new calculations that factor in that data, new tide level data and climate change data.
So statistically worse tides, but not apocalypticly worse tides.

The relevant lines:

quote:

Why will cities on such widely separated coastlines begin to experience these higher rates of flooding at almost the same time? The main reason is a regular wobble in the Moon’s orbit that takes 18.6 years to complete. There’s nothing new or dangerous about the wobble; it was first reported in 1728. What’s new is how one of the wobble’s effects on the Moon’s gravitational pull – the main cause of Earth’s tides – will combine with rising sea levels resulting from the planet’s warming.

In half of the Moon’s 18.6-year cycle, Earth’s regular daily tides are suppressed: High tides are lower than normal, and low tides are higher than normal. In the other half of the cycle, tides are amplified: High tides get higher, and low tides get lower. Global sea level rise pushes high tides in only one direction – higher. So half of the 18.6-year lunar cycle counteracts the effect of sea level rise on high tides, and the other half increases the effect.

The Moon is in the tide-amplifying part of its cycle now. However, along most U.S. coastlines, sea levels have not risen so much that even with this lunar assist, high tides regularly top flooding thresholds. It will be a different story the next time the cycle comes around to amplify tides again, in the mid-2030s. Global sea level rise will have been at work for another decade. The higher seas, amplified by the lunar cycle, will cause a leap in flood numbers on almost all U.S. mainland coastlines, Hawaii, and Guam. Only far northern coastlines, including Alaska’s, will be spared for another decade or longer because these land areas are rising due to long-term geological processes.

hypnophant posted:

It’s a uk paper and british science reporting is an abyss

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lake of Methane posted:

Maybe the South Dakota National Guard was just ahead of the curve. Or they get [quotethe Tennessee junkyard mogul's money and do nothing but say, "yeah thanks, but sorry Governor, we can afford to send only three people as observers."

https://twitter.com/StevenBeynon/status/1415425257943572482

quote:

The House passed a bill to reimburse the National Guard and bolster Capitol security in May. The Senate is still crafting its own bil, but it is unclear how long it will take to pass its legislation once finished.

One lawmaker pointed out that the Capitol Police will also run into funding issues soon.

"Without Senate action, the National Guard, which provided protection to the Capitol after the attack of January 6, will have to begin cutting training in August," Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., who chairs the Senate Appropriations Committee, said in a statement. "Senate Republicans have refused to join bipartisan negotiations to address these urgent security needs, and now the Capitol Police risks running out of funding this summer."

A spokesperson for Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Ala., the top Republican on the committee, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

...and all the comments are blaming Biden and the Democrats. I hate conservatives.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

hobbesmaster posted:

It really takes off in the second tweet.
https://twitter.com/SteveSchmidtSES/status/1415429333397786636

I don't actually think very much American "treasure" was invested in the country.

https://twitter.com/SteveSchmidtSES/status/1415429335452950533

I'm not sure how Karzai being a land surveyor or a slave owning plantation owner would help. I'm sure they'd have a lot of notes to share on grifting though. https://ivn.us/2016/11/28/modern-lessons-george-washingtons-expense-accounts
edit: i'm not as familiar with washington's land speculation but I'm sure theres some spectacular self dealing there

I was going to nominate "blood and treasure" as an overused cliché that needs to be banned but on second thought it is a good way to instantly identify the author as a moron.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ASAPI posted:

Remember our hopes and dreams concerning the piss tape? Well... Russia has something:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/15/kremlin-papers-appear-to-show-putins-plot-to-put-trump-in-white-house

Part of me thinks that this is an authentic fake created by the FSB to undermine western media credibility when it's proven to be a forgery.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
CJCS discussed a plan with the other top brass to resign en masse if Trump attempted to use the military to remain in office.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1415472541985083394

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Wouldn't it have been better to refuse his orders and speak to the press to explain what he's trying to do and why the military is opposing it? Wouldn't mass resignations create lots of empty seats that could be filled with yes-men? It's not like trump would care about the optics

Perhaps, but I think that having the entire Joint Chiefs quit would also result in everyone down the chain from Trump's yes-men telling said yes-men to kiss their asses they're not following illegal orders.

The bigger point, I think, is that the JCS thought they needed a plan in case Trump attempted a military coup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

:magemage:
https://enveurope.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/s12302-018-0170-0

quote:

It is concluded that the new Inde River has developed towards its pre-defined guiding principle within its anthropogenic restrictions caused by the open-pit lignite mine Inden and that it has reached its goal of being a natural river. Especially due to the length (13 km) of the new constructed riverbed, the Inde River is a very good study area and a representative example showing that achieving a dynamic morphological equilibrium after a river relocation and restoration is possible after only one decade.

I guess some people have a new paper to write.