Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
New thread's OP got a pretty old-thread's-OP smell, dad :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Eej posted:

How to get a bunch of men to pointlessly argue about dumb poo poo 101

E: gonna write a post about how you're driving wrong if you use a manual, there's a better way to drive, with an automatic

Can you work in an opinion about all-season vs. winter tires and chili with vs. without beans?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Eej posted:

Due to climate change the number of places in the US that need dedicated winter tires is decreasing and the quality of all seasons only gets better every year

Chili should be made with beans because it's served in Mexico with beans on the side, so putting beans in the chili is just streamlining the process and infusing them with flavour, eat smarter

loving perfect delivery there

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

English doesn’t have a word for landing in water, except “ditch”, which is vernacular if I’m not mistaken.

Water landing doesn’t really make sense when you think about it.

French, a clearly superior language, has a word for water landing (amerrissage) and landing on the Moon (alunissage). We also have a verb for “giving birth” which would have seemed like a given.

German has a word for water landing, and it's beautiful.

NOTWASSERUNG

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

What’s the word for “landing on Mars”? We have “amarssissage” which ugh.

MARSLANDUNG

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

What’s “butterfly landing on Mars”? Because we don’t have that one.

BUTTERFLIEGEN SCHNITZELT DAS HASEN MIT MARSLANDUNG

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

Is that still used for a non-emergency water landing? Like with a seaplane?

No, "Not" literally denotes the emergency in that word. A non-distress water landing would just be a "Wasserlandung" (?), idk. German beautiful language basically

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I think the Netherlands have one of the highest vaccination rates of Europe, so let's go ahead and do away with mask mandates indoors.
You know what, let's do away with all restrictions entirely.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/at-least-180-infected-after-dutch-disco-despite-showing-covid-19-certificates-1.4611870

quote:

So far 180 people out of roughly 650 who attended a disco in the eastern Dutch city of Enschede have tested positive for Covid-19, despite them having to show a negative test or proof of vaccination on entry.

The number was revised up from 165 on Monday.

The suspected mass spreading event has brought under scrutiny the implementation of the Netherlands’ “test for entry” system and a decision to drop almost all Covid-19 restrictions, as the number of national daily infections reported on Sunday was 145 per cent higher than a week earlier.

Whoopsiedoodles

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

My Spirit Otter posted:

not sure this is something you want to admit to in public

I'm just gonna go ahead and put Britney Spears' Toxic on, because that poo poo bangs

There was a tweetstorm over the fact that the strip mine has a fuckton of, uh...sump pumps (?) to drain the water back out, and people started screaming that those pumps should have been used to drain peoples homes or something so capitalism bad.
While they're absolutely on the money about the whole "capitalism bad" in general, what they don't realize is what would happen if the strip mine pit were to actually flood to the point where the tailing pools and such end up in the water that is now going everyfuckingwhere

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Thats one of the craziest things I've ever seen.

Peep this place that was built right next to a quarry.
The water decided it really likes to be in the quarry. And all the water's buddies were like "yeah, I'm down". :smith:

https://twitter.com/BezRegKoeln/status/1415925994800701441

Chaser to all the shots of watching western Germany drown:
Have an idiot making fun of the guy in front of him drifting off...before drifting off.

https://twitter.com/Erdkadse/status/1415751684635123721

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

My brain usually itches real hard while trying to suppress rage at dumb idiots, but despite my efforts, I broke out laughing at "Black utes matter" because that's just the most oceanic alt-right thing

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Do you want to know what happens when you open completely? The Netherlands has you covered:

https://twitter.com/YorickB/status/1416070122226266115

https://twitter.com/YorickB/status/1416070128060571657

The whole tweet chain (9 posts) is worth reading, it's absolutely insane.

12,000 new cases in the Netherlands, 50,000 in Spain, 52,000 in the UK, USA's ramping up again as well with 40,000.
We're only at 1,500 cases over here, but give us two more weeks, I'm pretty sure we'll be in the 20,000 range as well.

I cannot fathom the rage and frustration of health care workers in countries that are all OPEN 'ER UP. They got to have a breather for like a month and a half and now they're being put right back into poo poo-hell

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

If the IDR-saga has taught me anything, it's to not believe anything posters posing as vets online say about their occupation.

I fully assume the guy's some file-clerk in an armored unit with access to tech specs or somesuch

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Despite olds being pretty much 100% vaccinated, it seems they somehow missed the repeated reports over the last two months that even vaccinated folks can catch and transmit the delta-variant.

For the thousandth time, I tell myself "we live in the dumbest timeline".

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1417301374245687296

What...uh...prompted this "change of heart"? Rupert's advertisers threatening to pull ads and/or GOP donors threatening to assfuck everyone who doesn't cut the crap?

stock market and the fact that it may be occurring to them that the folks most likely to stay unvaccinated and die/be affected by the current surge are predominantly their base, and that translates into fewer votes in the future? Idk

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Anyone doing Bezoz-launch-watch?

I contemplated it, but i want to leave work early and can't really be arsed

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Its probably the main reason the IOC actually added beach volleyball too.

It literally is. And it's somehow much more disgusting than you could possibly fathom.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'm still feeling the impact at work of the Ever Given blocking the Suez canal. And on top of the semiconductor shortage, there's also a loving wood-shortage, and a ZF plant got drowned in the recent flooding and the company hasn't even given a rough estimate on when it'll be able to resume production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

:frogsiren: :killdozer: :frogsiren:

WE'VE GOT A KILLDOZEREXCAVATOR-ALERT IN DEUTSCHISTAN

https://twitter.com/LONE81/status/1420491401981308932