Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Is it misogynistic of me to think that the only reason Willis Johnson gave South Dakota money is because he thinks Kristi Noem is hot?

He's a 74 year old boomer with a collection of muscle cars, I think it's probably the deciding factor between giving money to SD and not any of the other states sending people to Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Yes, that's misogynist as all hell.

IDK, he's not giving Kim Reynolds any money.

Anyway, does anyone have a good article or video summarizing the current state of the US-Mexico border situation?

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 1, 2021

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

facialimpediment posted:

Weisselberg and the Trump Org got indicted today and uh, probably going to be an open-and-shut case that gets drawn out for a while:

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1410680369775464450?s=19

https://twitter.com/cjciaramella/status/1410681165405736968?s=19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBdGOrcUEg8

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

It's a hullabaloo created by the GOP to have something to yell about.

I get that, I mean the best tact I've been able to take with my mom is to ask her if she has seen any change in her life because of people coming across the border. Obviously her answer was "no."

That being said, I do want to know what is going on down there even though I know it's a lot of bloody shirt waving.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 7, 2021

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Hey, remember when Biden canceled the state of emergency at the border and canceled future National Guard deployments to the border?

They're back on the menu, that is the National Guard is going, paid for by active duty money, though the press release won't be for a few weeks, if ever.

I guess they can spend all the money they're saving on Afghanistan to pay for troops on the border.

This is different than the SD ARNG going on State Active Duty, this is Title 10 Regular Army active duty.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Well, there's this:

https://www.nbc15.com/2021/07/07/wisconsin-national-guard-unit-headed-southwestern-border/

NBC15 posted:

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Soldiers from a National Guard unit based on southwestern Wisconsin will head to the southwestern U.S. border to assist federal officials, Guard officials announced Wednesday.

About 125 soldiers from the Prairie du Chien-based 229th Engineer Company will assist U.S. border patrol agents with what Guard officials called “non-law enforcement activities” for a year.

“The outstanding professionalism and preparedness of our troops enables the Wisconsin National Guard to rapidly respond for any mission, and I’m tremendously proud of their dedication,” Adjutant General Maj. Gen. Paul Knapp said.

The announcement said they will leave this fall but didn’t provide a specific date or destination state. Wisconsin National Guard spokesman Maj. Joe Trovato said exact deployment timelines and locations have yet to be determined.

The deployment is part of a federal border security mission that includes 23 states. The Wisconsin troops will operate under federal control with federal funding from the U.S. Department of Defense.

More specifically, there is a Guard aviation battalion on the border under 365 day Title 10 orders. The follow on unit's deployment was canceled last February after Biden canceled the state of emergency. The follow on unit has just been alerted that they are deploying after all. In 2 months they will be RIPing with the aviation in place along the border for a 365 day Title 10 deployment.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/07/07/militarys-border-mission-will-continue-least-another-year.html

military.com posted:

The U.S. military's mission at the U.S.-Mexico border has been extended through 2022, Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby told reporters Tuesday.

There are currently 3,600 National Guard troops assisting Customs and Border Protection. They are largely uninvolved with law enforcement and generally provide logistical support, including surveillance. However, Kirby said the troop presence will be reduced to about 3,000.

An email requesting information from U.S. Northern Command about the timing of the reduction did not receive a response before publication.

Thousands of U.S. troops have been deployed to the southern border since 2018, when then-President Donald Trump ratcheted up the military presence there.

Since then, the Defense Department has obligated $841 million for the border mission, according to the Government Accountability Office. However, the real cost may be higher because the federal watchdog found that the Pentagon "has not internally tracked some costs associated with border support activities."

At the mission's peak during the Trump administration, there were roughly 5,800 troops stationed along the border.

In one of President Joe Biden's first acts in office, he rescinded the emergency declaration at the border, but the military's mission remains largely intact. At least 23 states have sent troops to the border in 2021, according to a spokesperson for Northern Command.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 8, 2021

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

boop the snoot posted:

I may be an rear end in a top hat for this, but I’d love for a mil base to be named after Obama just because of how chuds would react.

Even better would be if Bragg got renamed for Obama, or one of the big Texas bases.

Why would you name a base after man who never served in uniform?

Now, we need the USS Richard M. Nixon.

What sailor wouldn't want to serve on the Tricky Dick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvjOG5gboFU