Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Guys what you’re missing about Fury is that Brad Pitt never climbed back into the tank and had some final big conversation with the new guy and then ate the grenades. That was all just a fever dream fantasy the new guy’s broken brain formed to make him feel better about everyone already being dead for hours while he hid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Fury is worth it for the breakfast scene.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
lmao. I guess they know what crypto is for.

https://twitter.com/0xpolygon/status/1410976559008305161?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/appalachiabelle/status/1411741808649027588?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
This headline was custom crafted to tear GiP apart.

https://twitter.com/roadcc/status/1412844406353313796?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Right inside your stock gun images pocket.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Guys, I’m concerned

https://twitter.com/timbartholomaus/status/1413541762900004864?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

stackofflapjacks posted:

Serious question, how do you square this perspective with the idea that the people who know how screwed up the Earth is are the people who should probably be having kids aka the Idiocracy having children problem. My wife and I are fairly certain we're going to have kids but I struggle often with your post specifically and how to decide to have kids in a hosed up world. I have grand dreams of my kids being a piece of the puzzle solving climate change but that's a lot to put on kids.

Climate change is past the point of no return. It is not a matter of when or where but how severe will the Anthropocene extinction be and in how many decades (not centuries) truly abysmal bad times show up. Your kids will not solve it.

That said: any American is in the tip top luck category of having a nation with immense resources to protect its own while watching other species and people from other countries die en masse. There is probably a good chance that kids in America live and have resources at the expense of other people and other species and norms. Food and housing may get pretty “samey” in the sense of vastly decreased living range or standards and diversity, but hey, they live. Humans are an exceptionally tenacious species, and I think the people expecting humanity to be wiped by 2200 to be severely over-hyping the idea of total death via climate or plague or nukes. Much more likely, if there are a series of catastrophic events, is not extinction within 80-200 years but instead a catastrophic die-off of humanity that still falls short of extinction.

Technology will 100% not “save” the climate, but it may well make large numbers of humans living in a significantly altered and, from our perspective, worse world climate possible.

This post might not help much. But we are not going to invent the cure to climate (we already did and we chose not to), but I also think short of nuclear war, the idea of climate extinction in our lifetimes is the self-centered doomer syndrome. Much more likely in our and our kids’ lifetimes is witnessing genocide-by-inaction play out for people and areas less fortunate than other areas as well as an extremely drastic change in flora and fauna.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ositanwanevu/status/1414794179541151749?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I used to walk ~10 blocks to work in downtown Portland and I was at far more risk of injury from some spandexer running a stop sign than the cars. (Granted the injury would be much worse from a car but still.)

Similarly, I am far more at risk from tripping on something on any given day than from being robbed, run over, shot, or assaulted. Granted, the injury would be much worse from a violent crime but still.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Mellow greetings. What seems to be your wobble?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I am aware that in the movie, Earth’s Moon was not inside the museum looking at weapons.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

A SOF board I used to read from time to time once had some dudes posting about how liberals are the biggest existential threat to the US today, so definitely more than 0.

drat, SOF boards have tankies, too?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/qadir_sediqi/status/1415981268395827201?s=21

The video from yesterday included him riding with an Afghan commando unit in contact to include the hmmwv he was in taking an RPG to the turret plate, before they ultimately finished their extraction.

Could say he was taking war reporter embedding to a very severe and dangerous level.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
We like to party
We like, we like to party
We like to party
We like, we like to party

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I once had a case of a long-since self-banned goon having a total meltdown over voice chat in Battlefield based on his recollection of the classified range of a weapon.

On top of that being as dumb as it sounds in a game where you can eject and bazooka-shoot airplanes, he was misremembering feet as meters, so mostly screaming that the weapon should shoot over three times as far as it does.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

maffew buildings posted:

I'm having trouble getting my head around how an adversary would defeat these denial systems or imaging tech being employed, have there been any developments on the counter-tank warfare R&D from the US side you guys know about?

The actual version of this honeypot is every time someone starts musing about drone defense.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/owillis/status/1417328274234040320?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Zamujasa posted:

How hosed up can someone be that they go after firefighters and EMTs? Jesus.

:nsa:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
current event: Americans like getting child tax credit money that passed in the last covid stimulus plan back in March. Turns out $300/month per child is a big deal for middle class and lower income parents.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Current Event: Mil and veterans with honorable discharge can stream Olympics for free on NBC or via nbc app using Exchange login.

May not be available if you live oversees, other than on a military base.

Free way to watch live and choose sports to watch vs US broadcast primetime edits.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
What a coincidence that white conservatives think voting not a right

https://twitter.com/pewresearch/status/1418511464986521601?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Sure but do you think for a second that white conservatives would respond with the same answers if the verbiage was identical except about guns?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The most bothersome thing is that I cannot fathom a better-constructed virus to collectively stymie humanity over a generation (or two) than COVID-19. Don't worry, I'm not going to go howler monkey about ENGINEERED VIRUS except to :golfclap: at Mother Nature. Bubonic Plague, Smallpox, the Spanish Flu, Polio, HIV...she's making us all her bitches with a virus type that we all used to collectively :shrug: about, and the biggest issue is that literal BILLIONS of people *still aren't* taking it seriously. We weren't dumbing ourselves down fast enough, so Gaea decided to trip us up. The period in human history where knowledge and understanding are their most accessible, and because PEOPLE GOTTA LIVE THEIR LIVES, we're risking (and yes, I know this trope is overdone) a speed run towards the "Idiocracy" timeline.

This is almost less scientific than just straight covid denial.

Why do you assume those past diseases couldn’t have also had possible cognitive functions issues? Because in the time of the plague they didn’t do cognitive effects research on plague survivors?

There are billions of people with dogshit access to vaccines. That’s not them being contrarian assholes, or ignorant, it’s a combination of supply chains and also deliberate state actor decisions to refuse them sufficient vaccines.

There are over billions people with terrible options to segregate and live as hermits and order doordash. If you live in a multigenerational home in a poor country (or even a wealthy one), even 100% mask use aside from eating and drinking is very high risk! What are they supposed to do?

And lol at this generationally dumbing people down. One study suggests cognitive decline in the worst afflicted people, and now you’re worried it will be passed down to later generations?

Taking your legit gripe about dumbasses in your Western neighborhood or city or whatever and ascribing their motivations and ignorance to the whole world population is some real :goonsay: nonsense.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Each morning the suburban banker prints a batch of fresh, warm money. They close for the day when they run out. The Sacajawea special is on Wednesdays only.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Naturalization was up about 50% in 1Q21, compared to Trump admin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Apparently this same airport stopped 8 people over the last year for gun carry-on issues and zero faced charges.

It’s not clear how many faced a fine, and a fine is probably fine compared to making a criminal out of every dumbass who goes “oops” and doesn’t fight the rule once they get caught. As long as the fine is universally applied and not a wink wink for the right kind of people while the wrong kind get cuffs.