Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

GD_American posted:

Shatner was also a colossal rear end in a top hat under all that charm, like his entire life. I'm shocked most of his ex-cast members ever stayed friendly with him. Probably the only reason was for the convention cash (and that wasn't enough for James Doohan, who loving hated him).

Eh, I’m careful with celebrity stories I worked for Shatner directly on and off for about 5 years and I was just a below the line grunt and Bill was nothing but nice and professional to myself and the rest of the crew. This was 20 years ago so he may have mellowed out since the original show but… I never had issues with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

US Berder Patrol posted:

Are personal loans a popular product? I can't think of anyone I knew who ever just got a straight up loan, not home equity or auto or whatever from a bank.

I used the WF loan twice in the last 20 years, usually when I had some degree of Credit card debt but had some crazy poo poo happen so I cleared out the credit cards, to get the lower interest rate and then pay it all off in 1-2 years. The two times where both job changes/lay offs and moves including one international. I bounced back out of it.. must have been a recent choice I was getting offers all year for a personal line of credit.

It's probably handy for people who want to buy "lifestyle" goods that usually lack affordable financing... eg. rv/motorsports/boating related poo poo always seems to have sky high interest rates due to the risk of the bank/lender getting stuck with a hard to sell asset.

/edit I had interest rates as low as 5% for the line of credit. Never used it for cars since my credit union regularly does 1-2% depending if its new or used.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jul 9, 2021

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

I think what they are saying is that the bank has to keep X% of its account value(usually calculated at EOB) in physical cash, partly to prevent runs on the banks causing a banking collapse.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/requiredreserves.asp

Apparently it was set to 0% in March 2020 :thunk:

It's nuts when I was in Canada, compared to here in the US. I could go to almost any US bank branch and pull out 5-10k cash which.. isn't very often, and no one would blink at the bank and I'd have my cash pretty quickly.

When I lived In Vancouver for a stint? I got such a raw deal on electronic currency conversion and wire transfers, it got to the point I'd cash out a good chunk of Canadian money, walk it over to the gold coin/stamp place and have them convert cash to cash US dollars then redeposit the money. I started doing this on a monthly basis and it freaked the bank out each time I did it. Their cash float per branch was extremely low [since everyone and their dog uses interact for everything]. It got to the point I had to go to two different branches to get 4K taken out for a total of $8K.

After 3 months the bank manager finally decided to match the exchange rate at the bullion shop. Canadian banks make up a bullshit rule that they won't match currency exchange rates unless it's a 100k transaction but that's horseshit.

If a G7 country is ever going to have a bank run, Canada would be on top of the list.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

That Works posted:

Yeah it's largely that they know most of the people renting are students or people from overseas who are going to get out of town..

My experience is that once I started working for big recognizable multi-national employers I started getting 100% of my deposits back but there were a few other factors…

I usually use van line movers/corporate relocations which was often scheduled before my move out date. That means my place was empty before my end date which made the move out inspection super easy. Catch was I’d usually drop $200 on a cleaning crew to do carpets , get all the scale off any bathroom glass and clean all appliances. I clean the walls and do touch up paint and fill any holes left by pictures and paintings. Basically the place was often in better shape than I moved in.

This was super easy with small time landlords. Big corporate run rentals will try to swindle 200-300$ but if you do the move out inspection with them and they see rhe place is turn key ready to turn over they’ll give all the money back also.

Legit though? The place got to be clean/near perfect and for the time / effort you may be better off just letting them keep $200 or whatever

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

That Works posted:

Yeah generally these places are doing full month deposit only and the problem you run into is just that they ghost you after you leave and don't send you anything back or return calls etc and are holding around 2k in deposit. Very rarely do you get one trying to make a claim of some damage or something that's BS. Usually it's just a no contact kind of thing. They make you fight for it.

When I worked in Canada my favorite line against one landlord who I knew had a bunch of illegal basement apartment conversions was to say “ hey you are reporting all this income to revenue Canada right ? “ I got my full deposit back. I leased a furnished condo in Vancouver once… speculation was so crazy the place got flipped 2 times in a year, I had to keep making e deposits to different entities. When I moved out I had the original land lord ask me if he could come in and grab some artwork because the other dudes thought it was an unfurnished unit. He also told me to take anything I wanted. I already had a ton of stuff in storage in LA they had a real nice leather sectional I could have but I had no immediate means to transport it back to the us. I did take a whole bunch of cool coffee table art books on skate board and graffiti art though …

On the other hand all my rentals were in writing except for the one dirtbag in Toronto like 20 years ago