Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Defenestrategy posted:

Personally would have waited to post vulns for a few months just to let people post things to hang themselves.

If they're that easy to find, somebody else would've found and published them pretty soon anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

boop the snoot posted:

I’ve eaten plain toast before.

I was also dirt poor when I did it

OR

Extremely munchied out after a smoke sesh.

But never just because.

I have, but it was really good fresh-baked homemade bread, and only lightly toasted.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Already gone, or is that just me?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Kazinsal posted:

it's (not) coming home

It's coming Rome!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

In my mind someone rigged up a giant knife switch somewhere to cut off his account's access specifically, and there was a countdown.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The Eyes Have It posted:

If defining Fascism is really this important to anyone, go to the library (or just buy a copy online or something) and pick up Fascism: A Very Short Introduction by Kevin Passmore. The book up front -- among other things -- lays out how genuinely difficult and troublesome it is to actually pin down a useful definition of fascism (or capital-F Fascism).

It's genuinely interesting, not long, not expensive, and it is laid out in a way that makes it easy to zero in on the elements that are useful or interesting to the reader, and equally easy to skim or skip the more academic elements that might not be.

Umberto Eco's essay "Ur-Fascism" also goes into this difficulty, and offers a set of signifiers of fascist movements in history that can be useful as sort of like a clinical diagnostic scale: "if you said yes to more than nine of these symptoms..."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ha, I'd forgotten we had that smilie or I'd have mentioned it. Yeah, it did get over-referenced in D&D (I think?) for a while.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

pkells posted:

When did conservatives become the de facto anti-vax party? Did COVID finally make that switch permanent? I seem to remember that movement led by the more naturalistic, hippy, Green Party type folk who didn’t want their precious babies to develop autism. Now you have republicans in states like TN questioning all vaccines.

The antivax crowd was always more evenly split politically between the crunchy granola hippie types that they were always portrayed as and the hyper-Christian anti-government types who thought it was a commie plot, but there was a strain of "let's blame stupid moms" in the reporting because people like Jenny McCarthy were always so willing to get on camera talking about it (while the parallel society of the extreme right-wingers used to be more quietly insular) and the news media industry is lazy as hell.

Then Trumpism happened and now everybody says the quiet part loud for fear of getting ousted by someone who says it louder.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Was Dawkins-Style Atheist vs. Crossfitter the first match?

It's literal Nazi Stonetoss, so it was probably "person who doesn't think all black people are inherently violent subhumans" vs "a Jew".

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

My brain usually itches real hard while trying to suppress rage at dumb idiots, but despite my efforts, I broke out laughing at "Black utes matter" because that's just the most oceanic alt-right thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7BMCZdXSlk

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Anyone doing Bezoz-launch-watch?

I contemplated it, but i want to leave work early and can't really be arsed

There's an old Cold War era joke, of that grouping of underground political humor that was quietly shared in the Soviet Union among people that you trusted not to report you over it:

Two Ukrainian shepherds are tending their flocks on adjacent hills. One calls over to the other: "Stepan! Stepan! Did you hear? The Russians have gone to space!"

The other takes a moment to answer, but then calls back: "What, all of them?"

"No! Just the one!"

"Then why are you bothering me?"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

maffew buildings posted:

https://twitter.com/bmeiselas/status/1417323442546696194?s=21

This is what I meant to post but I have so many awful links to choose from

Well, penciling in time to listen to that whole podcast later. Sounds like a banger.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

RFC2324 posted:

Doesn't Games Workshop own the term Space Marine?

They sure want people to think so.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

boop the snoot posted:

this was in Worthington, PA

Worthington, PA’s demographics really show why they are concerned about this:

Population est 2019: less than 600 people.

The racial makeup of the borough was 99.10% White, 0.26% African American, 0.13% Asian, 0.13% from other races, and 0.39% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.26% of the population.

It's too early to run through the math but with percentages that are multiples like that you can just tell that there are exactly two African American people, one Asian person, etc.

One wonders at their stories.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Waroduce posted:

Wonder what florida will do

Just like Texas, the dumbest and worst thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I have to admit I have never understood why "We'd never get it past the 60 vote requirement" isn't immediately followed every single time by "but we'll make the fuckers go on the record against it". Even if the Democratic leadership doesn't actually want to accomplish the goal that's on paper, it's ammo for the next election.

shame on an IGA posted:

The establishment in the democratic party desperately does not want to be in power because then they're expected to do things. They run a much less ambitious grift than the republicans, one in which winning elections is actively counterproductive.

I am posting from inside the sausage factory.

I guess it's this, really.