Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Wasabi the J posted:

Are you loving kidding me?

Establishment House and Senate Democrats: "Don't worry, I'm sure they'll let us keep *OUR* jobs." :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

what the gently caress is white sauce for bbq

It's effectively ranch dressing for BBQ and don't let anyone tell you different or argue that "it's got mustard and/or vinegar in it so it's not ranch dressing."

It's ranch dressing on BBQ.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, this isn't going to spiral into "something": https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/02/us/north-miami-crestview-condo-building-ordered-closed/index.html

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

boop the snoot posted:

The new NCAA regulations own

I hope past "Stoodent Atholeetes" sue the everloving gently caress out of the NCAA in the biggest class action suit in history, especially the ones who got hurt and had their lives adversely affected due to the injuries.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

Lot of people worried about this world when there's another in the Kingdom of Heaven awaiting, duh

"So what if I'm not as rich as the King, *my* castle awaits me in Heaven!"

"So what if I'm not as rich as Andrew Carnegie, John D. Rockefeller, or Andrew Mellon, *my* mansion awaits me in Heaven!"

"So what if I'm not as rich as Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos, they're enormous fuckheads who will die of their cancer getting cancer in space. NO GODS, NO MASTERS, NO ESCAPE."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 3, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Madurai posted:

You're completely right, but hear me out on this:

tanks.

Also lots and lots and lots of dead Nazis.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

A modern american fairytale.

Well, for like, 55% of the country.

The rest see it as a bunch of ARE TRUUPZ killing some good-hearted yet misguided individuals. "H8 teh sin nott the sinur." :jerkbag:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It was extremely annoying that the film literally did the "it took five shermans to knock out one tiger" myth, but putting actual history and tactics aside it was cool to see old those old tanks rumbling around, with some great effects to boot.

It was honestly worth the ticket price just to geek out seeing Tiger 131 in action with Hollywood filters.

One thing I didn't really like was the absolutely sickening use of tracer effects that made it look like the Empire vs. the Rebels.

Eason the Fifth posted:

It really made me want to play company of heroes again, I'll give it that. And the sound mixing was excellent. I just wish the script was better.

There are a good amount of deleted scenes that add a lot more "ohhhhh, so THAT'S why they did what they did/said what they said" nuance to the film. I think all of them are up on Youtube.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

They should have had Brad Pitt turn on the crew and stolen the tank to deliver to Stalin so he’d have the secrets needed to build Shermans. Why not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lend-Lease_Sherman_tanks

FDR beat him to it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Truly the Everyman's President. :jerkbag:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

boop the snoot posted:

I’m ok with requiring voter id requirements.

…if IDs are free and automatically sent to people along with an obnoxious government funded marketing campaign that starts a year in advance of elections to apply for your free replacement.

They’d still find a way to gently caress people.

"You now need a passport to vote. Passport Cards not valid. Only Passport *books*. NO this isn't a poll tax! We're *offended* you'd say that!"

Whenever REAL ID requirements stop getting delayed, you'll probably start seeing pushes to make THAT the definitive "voter ID" in the states trying to keep "the white right people" voting.

The REAL ID is basically inviting a pretty deep background check on yourself so it's naturally going to be seen as suspect by people who have a deep distrust of local, state, and the federal government.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 5, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Just play Papers Please, but for voting not immigration

HAIL ARISTOSTKA! :corsair:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

What's Latin for "Floating Bolthole?"

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/somnio-worlds-first-yacht-liner-unveiled/index.html

200+ feet longer than a Burke-class, displaces over three times more. I'm calling it now, we'll see the first private luxury aircraft carrier in this loving decade.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

GD_American posted:

Let's be honest, everyone in here- if you saw this poo poo got USS Cole'd, would you even pretend to be sad

"Nooooooooooo! All that magnificent alcohol!" :cry:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CainFortea posted:

What even is the point in owning a huge yacht if you can't just make it go where you want to go? This thing is dumb on so many levels, but paying 11 million for an appartment on a yacht you can't control has to be some kind of peak stupid.

I'd bet money the only places this place will port in will be extradition-averse. Like I said, it's a floating bolthole.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

Didn’t ever think Wendy had whoppers.

:goonsay: "Excuse me, but that's very clearly a Baconator."

Also, apparently Wendy is *also* a daywalker vampire. :rolleyes:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

And plenty of facial recognition technology. And fingerprint collection. And eavesdropping.

I wonder if the NYPD got permission from Disney before slapping their IP all over their Mobile Profiling Unit.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PookBear posted:

We were dumb for trying to nation build without going all the way. We would have needed to assume direct control of every element of their government, military, civil service, industry, and education system. Only after an entire generation had grown up and gone through a functioning civil service and educational system could we start a 20 year phasing out program where we replace americans with afghans starting from the bottom up.

Now I'm not saying we SHOULD have done that. We should have just let socom treat it like a six month field exercise and then gone home.

You get out what you put in to an equation. Afghanistan was only ever a vehicle for war profiteers. Something got blown up? Cool, we can rebuild it shoddily and charge a fortune for doing it haphazardly. It's just gonna get blown up again anyway, and then we'll rebuild it even shittier.

Again, in an ideal world there would've been a leaflet drop offering asylum and resettlement support for Afghan *women* who are going to experience a Hell beyond words now.

And ultimately, we've just sown the seeds of the next Forever War on Terror by wholesale betraying those who believed in us. All according to plan. America must always cultivate brown boogeymen for future conflicts. Like making a deposit in the bank. =/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PookBear posted:

you get what you put in also applies to the afghan politicians and military leadership.

You just know Dubya's administration wanted to install some Bechtel or Halliburton "Senior Vice President" flunkie before they consulted TOP. MEN. who remembered Karzai was a flunkie for Chevron and figured "hey, two birds with one stone."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Godholio posted:

I bet the Russians told him they'd get back to him about the interview but oh by the way the NSA is spying on you bro.

"In for a kopek, in for a ruble, Tovarisch полезный идиот." :v:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It's going to be the most uncomfortable North Korea-like poo poo ever to watch a spectator-less Opening and Closing Ceremony.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Relax! We have plans in place to evacuate everyone!*"

* after giving the Taliban plenty of time to murder them.

:smith:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hopefully they can fit in some poo poo for Lambda as well.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ole fucker carlson going on about strength through peace. They don't even really attempt to hide it anymore do they

"Everything will be perfect once everyone we don't like is dead or toiling in labor camps." :hitler:

(no, not a direct quote from anyone, just ~implied~)

You know, I used to look at how these years went in Star Trek: TOS and TNG during the initial airings and think, "wow, good thing it didn't pan out like that."

Turns out we were just ~20-30 years off. Only there'll be no Warp Drive or "First Contact" after the resource wars.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 9, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

Where did all the rats go?

There's plenty of vacant retail space they can burrow into where they'll never be bothered.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So evidently some assholes learned the wrong lesson from Snowpiercer: https://www.cnn.com/travel/amp/worlds-first-private-luxury-train-concept/index.html

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

There is no amount of money, nor IV antibiotics, that you could use to convince me to wade through that water.

Source: lived in NYC for a few years and have seen...things...in the subway system.

"Congratulations, you personally now have Hepatitis A through Z. You've made medical history, as we had to newly categorize F-Z."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

davecrazy posted:

That whole flight was anti-climatic.

$250k for a 45 second ride?

Hadfield said *20* seconds.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Honestly I'm still chuckling at calling it Virgin Anticlimactic from now on.

And the hubris of calling himself "Astronaut 001" while in the company of not only Chris Hadfield (good god I hope he got at least mid/high six figures for the poo poo they made him eat/say) but the Shuttle pilot that was flying his glorified cannon ball.

As much as I don't want to praise Elon Musk, SpaceX didn't sit on their loving thumbs and spin for over a decade before claiming a hollow achievement like this. If Branson had taken this flight six months after the first suborbital test it would've been praiseworthy. But today was just oversauced Spruce Goosing.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 11, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

And after today's ALL SHALL LOVE ME fest, you just know Bezos is going to ham it up even more.

I'm honestly wondering if the bandwidth issues they had were AWS-related.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

What is supposed be impressive about this? Isn't ramjet tech a 60's/70's thing.

It's not like they made it commercially available either with a 400k price tag.

It's not even a ramjet. The engines look like CO2 cartridges. I don't even think they're reusable. And they use nitrous oxide as an oxidizer so each flight is just putting more greenhouse gas into the upper atmosphere, exactly where it *shouldn't* be.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Dennis Tito has since become a just-barely-a-billionaire since his paid-for Soyuz flight, so Branson can't even claim *that* guillotine-worthy title.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'd contend that the ultra-rich loving around with aviation in the 20s and 30s didn't advance civilian aviation as much as WW1 and WW2 did by creating way more qualified pilots.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I think one of my most favorite "Mad NdT" lectures was when he was in his office, grabbed a globe, and a small ruler and made the case that as a species, on a galactic scale, we hadn't even gotten close to leaving his office, and that going to the moon didn't even encompass leaving the surface of his desk.

I feel the same thing whenever I go into the Air & Space Museum in DC. So very little has changed or been added since I went in there all :swoon: as a snot-nosed five year old in 1986 for the first time. It's gone from being a palace of wonders to a mausoleum of failed :effort:.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Flikken posted:

Let's swing some aerospace dicks at Russia and China

Never get into a space dick fight with countries that don't care about where they drop their loads.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

boop the snoot posted:

I have a question about the upcoming wars over moon land

Do guns shoot in space? What’s the max effective range of a 10/22 on the moon?

They do, actually. The Soviets came very close to breaking the "no weapons in space" rule by arming a few satellites with 23mm autocannon: https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a18187/here-is-the-soviet-unions-secret-space-cannon/

As for hand-held guns in space: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2syOr578p8

There's nothing stopping a gun from shooting in space, but there might be a higher chance of malfunction because of the absence of gravity.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 12, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

your dream is probably far different than the Elysium dream that the rich have

"Space is nice and CLEAN!" :v:

(become collectively sterile and gets cancer on their cancer)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

The good news is, the delta variant doesn't really seem to have mRNA vaccine resistance.

The Lambda variant, though... =/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

Motherfuck I just saw pictures of Bagram post-withdrawl

You guys left enough loving kit behind to cover the CAF's annual budget! All those armored vehicles! What the gently caress!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm20mOEYJPQ&t=14s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

boop the snoot posted:

It’s gonna be awesome when the housing market tanks and banks buy everything for pennies on the dollar!

Hey, don't speak ill of your future Neo-Feudal Lords. :colbert:

Everything will be so much simpler when you're paying your rent to the financial entities that have all your money* already! :shepface:

* "your money" is now a trademark of JPMorganChaseWellsFargo, your actual money is an illusion that we allow you to keep believing in. You will own nothing and you will be happy.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 14, 2021