Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Last Celebration posted:

Also if you’re coming off Disgaea 2, you can capture humanoids now, which can be easier than recruiting one from scratch.

wtf I got to 40m stats in disgaea 5 and I didn’t know this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Is there a Disgaea general thread I can post about D1 Complete in?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
This is the closest to a general Disgaea/NIS thread we have. Idk what D1 Complete has that’s meaningfully different than the PC version though, besides a halfassed implementation of the HD sprites.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
What's the logic behind the different tiers of spells? I have like ten different levels right now but it seems like none of them are actually better than the generic level unless I upgrade them and it's not really clear that I'd see a benefit from doing that.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Rand Brittain posted:

What's the logic behind the different tiers of spells? I have like ten different levels right now but it seems like none of them are actually better than the generic level unless I upgrade them and it's not really clear that I'd see a benefit from doing that.

Their damage per sp is substantially better at high levels.

The cost of increasing damage through the skill shop is exponential.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Last Celebration posted:

This is the closest to a general Disgaea/NIS thread we have. Idk what D1 Complete has that’s meaningfully different than the PC version though, besides a halfassed implementation of the HD sprites.

A lot of quality of life stuff from the later games.

Like being able to reposition a unit without moving it back to its starting location.

Units being free to re-target if the initial unit they were going to attack is killed before they act.

The third camera zoom position and Statistician cap raised to 900 from 300.

Animation skips, being able to quit out back to base instead of the title screen, and autosaves.

Prism Red, Prism Yellow, Prism Blue, and Asagi are unlockable.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I hit triangle by accident to do the animation skip and it's the most amazing thing about the rerelease. That and turning up the movement speed on units really makes Item World grinding a breeze.

I should probably blitz through the last 4 chapters so I can do NG+. I want to do the higher level optional content so I guess that would be a good time to pass some Stronger Enemies bills and such.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I've been playing disgaea 5 on my steam deck for a bit - unique generic class skills (ie witch's energy potion) - how do I get these on main characters? I've subclassed killia into witch hoping to pick up some spells but no luck, only evilities available.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

tithin posted:

I've been playing disgaea 5 on my steam deck for a bit - unique generic class skills (ie witch's energy potion) - how do I get these on main characters? I've subclassed killia into witch hoping to pick up some spells but no luck, only evilities available.

By and large unique skills are locked to the class that learns them, iirc the only exception is the Nine-Tails’ geo-related stuff. Fortunately MP regen is eventually something you just have innately for everyone when you make some good curry and let it steep for 100 battles, along with 100% crit if you know what you’re doing.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

So after feeling vaguely disappointed with D7 I started up a fresh run of D5 to remind myself why that's still the best Disgaea.

The first thing I noticed was the news ticker at the base - I had forgotten about that, news tickers are great, why wouldn't they keep doing that? Then there's fun little touches like pressing buttons to make the animations chang on the loading screens. And I had to check and confirm that not just NPC placement but full base customization - well, using different maps for your base, at least - will be coming up when I hit later chapters and that's always fun, and the online features included actually making custom battle maps both for powerlevelling and for making fun geo challenges and stuff, rather than just dull PVP.

I started doing the DLCs and was reminded of the whole Laharl's Birthday storyline - even the DLCs in this game were more fun and interesting than D6/D7 where IIRC they were mostly just "here's this character, have fun". I do like that D7's actual DLC fights had some bite to them though.

Still, D7 feels like maybe it didn't make the missteps D6 did, but it didn't add much to the formula either, and so much of the extra charm and fun is missing. D5 remains the best one, and it's way cheaper!

Edit: Oh poo poo, dual wielding and giant magichange, how could I forget that??

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 7, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mean, 6 and to an extent 7 are definitely comprised since they’re fully 3D games, which on multiple levels was probably the right call since you can just keep reusing them after upscaling them and maybe just have them do different idle poses. I feel like 5 was the more “complete” experience and more refined with its new ideas like the shift to a more proactive Item World but it was the one that was meant to be NIS’s last game, on top of the third one with modern sprites.

I’m enjoying my time with 7, I guess it helps that I’m not a huge fan of Magichange. Kinda wish they brought back the statisticians/managers/bankers since it turns out if one guy’s just gonna be mass murdering rifle demons anyway so everyone else can drink their way to 9999 them it’s not obnoxious anymore to rely on them. And just having the ability to funnel EXP into people is a great change.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Last Celebration posted:

By and large unique skills are locked to the class that learns them, iirc the only exception is the Nine-Tails’ geo-related stuff. Fortunately MP regen is eventually something you just have innately for everyone when you make some good curry and let it steep for 100 battles, along with 100% crit if you know what you’re doing.

I can't give landblaster to killia? :(

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
If that’s the G rank spell Sages get to clear Item World then nah I don’t think so.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Last Celebration posted:

If that’s the G rank spell Sages get to clear Item World then nah I don’t think so.

yeah that's the one

did they remove autobattle for disgaea 5? I remember that was in an older one? (vaguely remember disgaea psp had it)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

tithin posted:

yeah that's the one

did they remove autobattle for disgaea 5? I remember that was in an older one? (vaguely remember disgaea psp had it)

D6 was the first to have it

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I kinda burned out on 7’s postgame, at least when I realized I needed six star mastery on a lot of units but without a really strong weapon to expedite the process since there’s no way I can feasibly steal from a Carnage Item God if I can’t do the D5 thing of just skipping a hundred floors of a Rank 79 to keep the boss at level 9999 + 2000 and not 9999 but really 30000 or whatever. I mean, you can skip floors, but you fulfill so many bonus not-gauge conditions even by doing that that it still doesn’t help.

I don’t think I really care for how much of your power comes from class mastery in the postgame of 5/7, like it’s a cool idea but ideally they’d give about half as much stats so you don’t need the very very strongest, highest leveled items to feel stronger. Also, maybe hot take, but the Land/Dimension of Carnage is a cool idea, but leveling past 9999 is somewhat excessive if the enemies get Level x 20+200 on top of doubled base stats. Maybe level X 10 would be more reasonable. I do appreciate that D7 brought back everyone treating you like a loser there though.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

tithin posted:

yeah that's the one

You might be thinking of 1 and 4. Their mobile ports have autobattle.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Huh, so is the pre-equipment stat cap 10,000,000? I said eff it and decided to max out every class on Fuji to steal Rank 40s (or I guess rank 80s?) but the [Stat] Guy evilties that boost your growths no longer work and give what they should, which feels exceedingly rude when Item Gods seem to require an item being level 300+ which gives them way higher stats than I could have reached.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Huh, so is the pre-equipment stat cap 10,000,000? I said eff it and decided to max out every class on Fuji to steal Rank 40s (or I guess rank 80s?) but the [Stat] Guy evilties that boost your growths no longer work and give what they should, which feels exceedingly rude when Item Gods seem to require an item being level 300+ which gives them way higher stats than I could have reached.

Yes, in D7 base stats cap at 10 million and so do juice bar stats. Before any equipment you should have some # of HP/SP and 20 million in stats. With max classes, reincarnations, and the better stats from leveling squad the only growth evilties or item bonuses that matter are HP/SP.

Obviously you can the boost the 20 million in stats to a higher number with evilties and character specific unique evilties.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I can't believe the Disgaea series has broken its one and only promise of bigger numbers.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Maguoob posted:

Yes, in D7 base stats cap at 10 million and so do juice bar stats. Before any equipment you should have some # of HP/SP and 20 million in stats. With max classes, reincarnations, and the better stats from leveling squad the only growth evilties or item bonuses that matter are HP/SP.

Obviously you can the boost the 20 million in stats to a higher number with evilties and character specific unique evilties.

So for the juice bar do I just do the Carnage Ordeal 5 a whole lot more or is there a more efficient way? There aren’t a lot of extracts in there even after like four hundred clears…

Clarste posted:

I can't believe the Disgaea series has broken its one and only promise of bigger numbers.

hosed up for sure, I was so hype when I saw my base stats were at ~1000 after full class mastery and was thinking about how stupid high I could get them with 370% cumulative growth bonuses.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

So for the juice bar do I just do the Carnage Ordeal 5 a whole lot more or is there a more efficient way? There aren’t a lot of extracts in there even after like four hundred clears…

hosed up for sure, I was so hype when I saw my base stats were at ~1000 after full class mastery and was thinking about how stupid high I could get them with 370% cumulative growth bonuses.

No, Juice bar was abusing evilties to increase HP/SP and then remove them in order to drop them to 1. You would do this on a bunch of characters then heal at the hospital. Next was just spamming the gacha for extracts.

I think this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaeGYLh-9y8 was the guide on how it all works.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm a bit late to the party, but I just beat the story and man...

I know the item world normally breaks the story's difficulty curve in two, but I wasn't expecting my first 10 level dive to give me a level 70 dude while I was fighting dudes in their teens in the plot. Bonus points for the fact that I did the dive because all the past games had a "your item must be this tall to pass" level requirement, and 7 does not appear to have that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So now that I have Rank 80 items, is there any “trick” to leveling them, like how in Disgaea 2 you passed all three “Make X Stat a Lot Better” bills before leaving the item for the first time? It kinda seems like they streamlined a lot so I kinda doubt it, but assuming I’m not interested in item reincarnation (well at least to make a super item, reincarnating to make something Epic is kinda nice) is there anything to keep in mind assuming I’m already doing the X Stat improvement stuff before diving?

Also, I’ve heard of people queuing up Mr. Gency’s in Item Exploration, but I’m not sure what the point is since your prinnies don’t bring back the Floor 5/10 gencies on clearing even if the people on the expedition club have 10 mil stats.

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Also, I’ve heard of people queuing up Mr. Gency’s in Item Exploration, but I’m not sure what the point is since your prinnies don’t bring back the Floor 5/10 gencies on clearing even if the people on the expedition club have 10 mil stats.

Reincarnating a Gency into a Gency adds a Use to it. If you have 8 Gencies in Item Exploration then you effectively get 8 exits every time you complete ten stages.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Holy poo poo it does, thanks. I’m guessing it doesn’t work for stuff like Gold Bars though…

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

D5: can someone explain the difference between item rank and rarity to me, for the purposes of getting a rank 39 item, to 40

Also when does the item world cap out? I took it to 300 / 500 and it kept going, even when the item itself stopped levelling at 500,what's the benefit to continuing

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

tithin posted:

D5: can someone explain the difference between item rank and rarity to me, for the purposes of getting a rank 39 item, to 40

Also when does the item world cap out? I took it to 300 / 500 and it kept going, even when the item itself stopped levelling at 500,what's the benefit to continuing

Rank is what tier of power the item is. Rarity mainly affects how many innocents you can fit on the item. It used to limit how many floors an item had, but i think they changed that in D5?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Rank is just what tier of weapon it is. For instance, the thimble is the rank 1 fist weapon, then the rubber gloves are rank 2 and so on.

Rarity is a random number 0-100 generated on the creation of the item. What color of text an item name is provides a handy visual shortcut for its rarity. High rarity items get better stats and more innocent slot options.

High rarities are just generally superior and a good yellow item can easily punch up several ranks.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

How do I identify the item rank?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The game never tells you the number directly. The easiest way is looking up a table online like these ones

If you want an in game option you can look at the item records with the data npc. It doesn't list the number or show items you havent obtained yet, but the table is sorted by rank.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

tithin posted:

Something I don’t think has been mentioned yet about getting Rank 40s is that only Legendary items (the glowing golden ones) can get you the next tier of item, because the Item God usually has it as a steal and you only fight a God in Floor 100, aka a legendary item.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Something I don’t think has been mentioned yet about getting Rank 40s is that only Legendary items (the glowing golden ones) can get you the next tier of item, because the Item God usually has it as a steal and you only fight a God in Floor 100, aka a legendary item.

Yeah, the last 5 ranks of items can usually only be found in the item world bonuses or stolen from item world enemies.

Rank 40 items can only be stolen from the boss on the 100th floor of a rank 39 yellow item. The boss will always hold the rank 40 version of the item type you entered*

And all of that is hella post-game, so don't worry about it too much unless you don't mind obliterating the difficulty curve.

*the first time. You can't repeatedly, Mr. Gency out to steal a ton of them.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Also when it comes to 5, probably just don’t worry that much in general outside of insane completionism because Rank 40’s are okay but not like mega impactful since there’s forty more ranks after that in the Carnage Dimension and it’s items.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

exp stuff usually assumes you're shooting for cap or have someone at cap to farm the juice bar. Is there an easy way to bring everyone up to parity? Like say, a couple of my guys are level 2000 and I'd like to get everyone else up there?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Afaik getting someone to level 9999 so they can funnel the excess EXP into the bar is the only way outside of having the raw stats/equipment to manually level everyone. I found it relatively painless if you just autobattle and use every possible source of EXP, but having one super unit does kinda make it feel a tad pointless since they can just solo everything outside of the Carnage Dimension.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

When your dudes are level 2000 it's kind of at a point where keeping parity is a lot of effort for pretty much no gain. Your advancement at that point is going to be the item world and the level grinding zone, and there's not exactly ever much incentive to slowly grind people up together because of how exponential power starts getting.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

yeah, I'm working through carnage world in d5 atm, it's turned into a bit of a slog where I was making leaps and bounds before.

my most advanced character's a sage, with about 12 mill in stats, I'm currently trying to level up a normal arcadia's rarity to turn it into a legendary to get a trapezohedron, and also need to run a solomons staff to get a ygdrassil.

outside of that I saw a strategy for max farming 20* asagi map to max out stat boosts from extracts, so I'm slowly levelling pram and metallia for that, but it is slower than I'd like, they're sitting at around 1mill in stats.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

tithin posted:

outside of that I saw a strategy for max farming 20* asagi map to max out stat boosts from extracts,

I've been doing a D5 run myself and I've got some advice for you, but I'm not sure how much you actually want so I'll mark it in spoilers. Suffice to say that no matter how you do it, the postgame in D5 is going to be a slog, as that's kind of the point; if you're not enjoying putting on a podcast or whatever and grinding away, there's really no reason to do it, all you get for the hundreds-of-hours-grind to beating carnage baal is IIRC a special sword you don't need and a "congrats, you really, really beat the game!".

Your Sage is plenty good enough for farming extracts at this point. Equip a megaphone (from some quest, I forget now) in your off-hand and give her Rasperyl's recruiting evility, and go clear double fake with land decimator at the highest difficulty you can. You should get ~40 recruits per run, nearly half of what Metallia would get. You may have to manually run out and kill the boss Asagi with a Tera spell but it'll still be faster to max out extracts on your Sage this way. Use the evility "Combat High" to help a lot with clearing, and use the maid's evility that expands use item range to 5 squares so you can use the extracts on 5 characters at a time.

Except maybe for maxing the boost & status innocents, and even that isn't really necessary yet, you probably shouldn't be bothering with item world before maxing stats from both extracts and class mastery/levelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

zzMisc posted:

I've been doing a D5 run myself and I've got some advice for you, but I'm not sure how much you actually want so I'll mark it in spoilers. Suffice to say that no matter how you do it, the postgame in D5 is going to be a slog, as that's kind of the point; if you're not enjoying putting on a podcast or whatever and grinding away, there's really no reason to do it, all you get for the hundreds-of-hours-grind to beating carnage baal is IIRC a special sword you don't need and a "congrats, you really, really beat the game!".

Your Sage is plenty good enough for farming extracts at this point. Equip a megaphone (from some quest, I forget now) in your off-hand and give her Rasperyl's recruiting evility, and go clear double fake with land decimator at the highest difficulty you can. You should get ~40 recruits per run, nearly half of what Metallia would get. You may have to manually run out and kill the boss Asagi with a Tera spell but it'll still be faster to max out extracts on your Sage this way. Use the evility "Combat High" to help a lot with clearing, and use the maid's evility that expands use item range to 5 squares so you can use the extracts on 5 characters at a time.

Except maybe for maxing the boost & status innocents, and even that isn't really necessary yet, you probably shouldn't be bothering with item world before maxing stats from both extracts and class mastery/levelling.

Happy to take the advice - thanks :)

I using this strategy initially and it's definitely helpful, hadn't looked at Raspberyl's evilities though, so I'll take a peek and sideswipe that in.

What's the distinction between aptitude and growth? Does aptitude just dictate the maximum possible stat whiel growth rate indicates how fast you reach that point?