Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

NumptyScrub posted:

As my first proper Disgaea, I think I'm playing it wrong; I ran the same battle 10 times for one of the early quests, decided to crank the enemies up to 20 stars in the cheat shop while I was doing it, and when I tried out auto battle and auto repeat I think I've turned it into an idle clicker :v:

No, that seems to be the idea here. It was always about grinding, but after hours and hours of grinding, it becomes clear that an auto system could do the chores like running the same map over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ryanbomber posted:

Psychics are considered male by the game.

Super Reincarnation is more or less Reincarnation from the previous games. They changed some stuff around (you now earn "Karma" points that can be spent on various base stat boosts/perks) but I think the rename is more of a marketing thing than a mechanical thing.

Well uh, good thing I have the gender swap evilties as a option otherwise I would surely be feeling dumb right about now :sweatdrop:

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 2, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This HL grinding method is really nice, but what people don't tell you is the amount of prep time required to get to the point where you're bringing in billions of HL in seconds. :P Your Galaxy Mage needs really high stats, so it's best to stop grinding every hour or so to spend your HL on building up their stats, you're also going to need to focus on grinding for mana.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I'm not sure what caused it but I got some hella lag in the Dark Assembly bribing them. Was scrolling by holding down like I normally do on the misc to try and find likes because I never remember who likes what.

Switch responded to system menu calls game was playing music but not responding to any input. Took over 30 seconds to unfuck. So if you get this it should fix itself just let it sit. Going to go a bit slower on that menu now. It seemed more like it was stuck in a loop to be honest.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
The gulf between whatever the trials dimension is called in this game #3 and #4 is rough. I dumpstered Baal and #3 with relative ease but #4 and the carnage dimension still seem way out of reach, even after lots of afk grinding and some reincarnating.

I’m thinking I need to get on a way tighter reincarnation loop but even then I see this taking a while. That poo poo is nasty

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I couldn't place where I heard Misedor's voice for the longest time, even though I've watched a crap load of ProZD's content.

Anyway. He's definitely the best character so far. Not really feeling anyone else but Cerberus.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

It was bugging me where your lv1 stats came from and I couldn't find it anywhere that was spoiler-free, so I did a bit of math. Dropping this here in case anyone else has a hard time finding it:

GrowthStat = (BaseStat + MasteryStat); BaseStat is what you see on reincarnation, MasteryStat is a hidden bonus from mastering classes (like Disgaea 5 had, but not visible).
CurrentStat = (1000 + Level) * GrowthStat

Basically you gain exactly your growth stat each level with no randomness, and start off with 1001 levels' worth. You effectively gain .1% of your starting stats per level, so a level 300 would be ~30% stronger than an equivalent level 1. I only checked this up to level 3, so possibly the formula might change at higher levels, or there might be other factors I haven't unlocked yet.

Maybe this was obvious to anyone who bothered to compare their base stats and level 1 stats right off the bat, but I didn't do that and it was bugging me, and maybe I just saved someone some hassle.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Maguoob posted:

This game really needs a combat log (unless there is one and I'm somehow completely blind), because doing stuff on my PC while my Item World clearer is working towards 100,000 kills D-Merit and looking over and seeing it being dead is surprising. I have 300 billion in each stat vs the poo poo normal items NPCs with millions in stats at best and I'm immune to poison and damage from geo effects. I also regen 5% of my HP every turn, and nothing should even be capable doing anywhere near the amount of damage.

I usually have this happen when I run into Ally Damage geo symbols and all my team stand on it and blow each other up.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

pixaal posted:

Lack of PS4 has me thinking they either have 7 lined up for PS5 and or a quick port of ultimate with all the dlc planned for PS5.

I have a feeling they may have thought by this time PS5 would have saturated the market and no one would want a PS4 game.

Either or both could be true. It's speculation, but I bet these models would look good on a PS5.

Nintendo probably chipped in for the loc job or something, there's no point not releasing it on PS4 otherwise and just having it run with a PS5=yes4k flag or whatever.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Deki posted:

I couldn't place where I heard Misedor's voice for the longest time, even though I've watched a crap load of ProZD's content.

Anyway. He's definitely the best character so far. Not really feeling anyone else but Cerberus.

Still pretty early myself but Melioda has been funny.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

wodin posted:

I usually have this happen when I run into Ally Damage geo symbols and all my team stand on it and blow each other up.

I run IW solo and have the geo reverse evility and that would actually be an easy thing to spot as the geo symbol would still be there, but when auto-battle breaks there is never any ally damage geo around. Geo symbols were actually the first thing I checked for, but there weren’t any either time my character died.

It isn’t like my character is dead all the time, but it has happened a couple times over thousands of floors.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
As someone who has played every Disgaea to post game except 2...

This game is fine and good.
It has little micro studders, but it's not unplayable. I'm fine with the changes, it seems to have good QOL improvements.

I got my characters over leveled quick without following a 30 phase master plan.

1-5 with five lvl 99 prinnys that each give like lvl ~329 xp like always
2-3 kill that one guy on auto
6-5 mega xp dude if you can do like 800k damage in one hit.

8-5 is a fight against 1 Lvl 2000 brawler (Become a Lvl 9999 at 20*)
I have not tried this one yet and a lvl 9999 just kicked my rear end forcing a bill to pass

Auto item world explore for characters over the 10 you can use in battle.

I didn't some realize the hospital rewards were a page down and didn't redeem the sp based or rez based ones for a long time, oops.

I just use 3 boots on every character and use a weapon I can item world boost, that you can buy copies of in the store!

The juice bar I made good for nothing prinnys to man that squad and am saving for the last squad upgrade for 30% of all xp stored. To me that should be step one.

I can dig the karma system, I have +1 damage, throw, counter, jump on all my characters
Go to tab 2 when you reincarnate if you have like 5k karma.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 4, 2021

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Maguoob posted:

I run IW solo and have the geo reverse evility and that would actually be an easy thing to spot as the geo symbol would still be there, but when auto-battle breaks there is never any ally damage geo around. Geo symbols were actually the first thing I checked for, but there weren’t any either time my character died.

It isn’t like my character is dead all the time, but it has happened a couple times over thousands of floors.
It must be something like the Ninja skill with an instant death proc, but I couldn't guess what, exactly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does anyone have a good written walkthrough of a post-game grinding path? My characters have slowed down in leveling at around level 3.4 million, so i'm trying to figure out how to get them to 9,999,999 so I can get through carnage difficulty.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just wanna know how to get more Karma

I've hit 9,999 a number of times and getting only like 7k from super reincarnating. I'm not through the main story yet but still kinda shocking

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I've hit 9,999 a number of times and getting only like 7k from super reincarnating. I'm not through the main story yet but still kinda shocking

Pretty much you don't do any real karma farming until post game when you get quickly hit like level 40m-50m and reincarnate for millions of karma. You get 120m? per reincarnation at 99m, but that takes too long as it takes way more XP to hit 99m than do 50m twice and get more karma.

If you want an easy 16m karma you can just repeatedly give yourself 1 mana at the juice bar 255 times for the d-merits.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fair!

Also this second Zed World chapter is kinda butt huh. Just a lot of the same fight over and over again. There's something genuinely hilarious though about how 'oh no they did 999,999,999 damage' and I have *way* more life than that, and I kill the big scary repeated boss in one shot over and over again.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Fair!

Also this second Zed World chapter is kinda butt huh. Just a lot of the same fight over and over again. There's something genuinely hilarious though about how 'oh no they did 999,999,999 damage' and I have *way* more life than that, and I kill the big scary repeated boss in one shot over and over again.

The last few chapters of the story are like 60% fighting gods of destruction, it's kinda dumb. I had my guys around 9999 from dicking around in the item world so I could just auto through all of it, but still.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I gotta say, Beiko as a character in any other game would be fine, but *god* everything about her with Disgaea's humor is making me want to die.

I really like the cast even the one notes like the king, but every scene being grown rear end adults fawning over her and wanting to protect her is uh... certainly a thing. Ivar gets it the worst, I really like the idea behind his character and when he's making jokes or being a idiot I've snrk'd- but then his uh, Beiko worship just weirds me out a lot.

She has a evilty that says when she's a lil sis she gets a big bonus, and I don't know when she *wouldn't* be one but it has me hoping I can change her somewhat.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You increase the cap per reincarnation with D-mertis check Characters > Status > D-Merts. You also get a ton of free Karma all of these are once per character. So claim them on each and every one.

You should get at least 1 Karma per level so if you hit 9999 and only got 7k I think you missed claiming a cap.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
i would like to file a bug report

game seems to not be parsing string correctly

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 4, 2021

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Floor is lava posted:

i would like to file a bug report

game seems to not be parsing string correctly

Nah man, they found the bonus ascii roguelike level and got murdered by %s.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

zzMisc posted:

Nah man, they found the bonus ascii roguelike level and got murdered by %s.

Haha this was my first thought.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Have you tried renaming your characters?

Surprised me the first time that that's kinda hosed up too lol.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I've seen a couple other screenshots of control codes leaking through

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What's the step to really open up the post game. Got the Disgaea Trio and kinda expected 'raise the level cap' to just appear but instead it's the super boss that punches me in the groin a lot.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For those that beat Carnage Dimension, what was your party? I am really struggling to make any progress on Carnage V.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

I said come in! posted:

For those that beat Carnage Dimension, what was your party? I am really struggling to make any progress on Carnage V.

A single galaxy mage that was overpowered from the demo.

You probably don’t want to play the recruit a ton of level 9999 characters and use their d-merits for juice bar usage in the normal game though.

Max level, capped base stats and you should be mostly there already; I think. If not you’ll probably want to get juice bar stats somehow. The trick using the level 9999 useless character bug with a witch and the hp to sp evility done a few times certainly wouldn’t hurt. Just compare your stats to the enemies to see how much you actually need to increase. Though it is tedious and if you can avoid it I would.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Maguoob posted:

The trick using the level 9999 useless character bug with a witch and the hp to sp evility done a few times certainly wouldn’t hurt.

The what now

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

If you make a “useless” character, the option that requires you to reduce stats to make it, and make it level 9999 during creation it only uses 1 mana to make. You must have the full amount that is actually required to make a level 9999 character. Though I only did this in the demo and people are saying you can still do it in the full game, but I haven’t personally checked.

This was an easy way to gain juice bar stats, because a level 9999 witch with the SP evility could reach the d-merit for 10m stats. I would create them in batches and complete their d-merits then delete them for millions of juice bar stats.

You will need the required HL to actually buy the stats via the juice bar, but that really isn’t that much of an issue.

Maguoob fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 5, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh, huh. Something to keep in mind I guess.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So how do I break 9999 anyway? I know you buy the ability with karma, but it's not appearing when I reincarnate, and I'm not seeing a Dark Assembly bill for it or anything after beating the game.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I only just realized this one came out and am just getting into it. I play on a lite but haven't noticed any frame rate issues but then I'm in chapter one. Kinda boggling that they start the stats out so huge to begin with, usually they at least wait till the post game before the numbers get bigger then I can parse at a glance.

Graphics are okay but I feel like I would have preferred the sprites still.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

The Moon Monster posted:

So how do I break 9999 anyway? I know you buy the ability with karma, but it's not appearing when I reincarnate, and I'm not seeing a Dark Assembly bill for it or anything after beating the game.

You need to unlock the Carnage dimension to unlock the ability to break the level cap.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Maguoob posted:

A single galaxy mage that was overpowered from the demo.

You probably don’t want to play the recruit a ton of level 9999 characters and use their d-merits for juice bar usage in the normal game though.

Max level, capped base stats and you should be mostly there already; I think. If not you’ll probably want to get juice bar stats somehow. The trick using the level 9999 useless character bug with a witch and the hp to sp evility done a few times certainly wouldn’t hurt. Just compare your stats to the enemies to see how much you actually need to increase. Though it is tedious and if you can avoid it I would.

Here is my character right now, they should be able to complete blow through it but instead they are getting wrecked on carnage dimension 5. So I have to be missing something very obvious.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Here is my character right now, they should be able to complete blow through it but instead they are getting wrecked on carnage dimension 5. So I have to be missing something very obvious.

While you do have the stats to kill everything there, but not if anything actually targets your Galaxy Mage. You could try using 9 other characters (with Zombie Revival) to lift or otherwise distract the enemy so your mage isn't getting hit.

If you're not killing everything in 1 hit with Elemental Burst then I don't know what to say. 8.8 billion INT plus an ability with 1B% power (at 9999) should easily kill anything there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah i'm killing everything in one hit, but there are so many enemies on that map that they destroy my mage in one turn.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I finally said gently caress it after being over leveled for half of the story.

Once I get my characters to 9999 the excess xp goes to juice bar and I can spend it on squad upgrades.

I get 30% of the xp now from juice squad.
Farmed 11-5 griffon Chamber

I'm ready for post game after ~24 hours.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

I said come in! posted:

So the English version just uses plain old commas as the digit separator, huh? In the Japanese version, a number like 1,234,567,890,123,456 is displayed as 1234兆5678億9012万3456, with the 兆, 億 and 万 in a different colour, so you can instantly tell what order of magnitude you're dealing with. I thought that was a really smart bit of UI design. Pity it didn't survive localisation. English obviously doesn't have those specific characters, but you could do the same thing with K, M, B and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

skull mask mcgee posted:

You need to unlock the Carnage dimension to unlock the ability to break the level cap.

I figured this out right after posting here, naturally. What about item worlds? Do I just need to get carnage items to find enemies over 9999 in there or what?