Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

FractalSandwich posted:

So the English version just uses plain old commas as the digit separator, huh? In the Japanese version, a number like 1,234,567,890,123,456 is displayed as 1234兆5678億9012万3456, with the 兆, 億 and 万 in a different colour, so you can instantly tell what order of magnitude you're dealing with. I thought that was a really smart bit of UI design. Pity it didn't survive localisation. English obviously doesn't have those specific characters, but you could do the same thing with K, M, B and so on.

Hell, if they just straight up used the same characters, it's not like we couldn't figure out what they meant. It's a drat shame we don't have that, it would really make this a lot more readable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol I finally beat Carnage V. I put a bunch of defense and support evilities on my Galaxy Mage, that was what I had to do.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

I figured this out right after posting here, naturally. What about item worlds? Do I just need to get carnage items to find enemies over 9999 in there or what?

Normal Item World enemies max out at 9999.
Carnage max out at 9,999,999.
Rakshasa max out at 99,999,999.

You probably shouldn't bother with non-rakshasa items. You can max out stats at 999,999,999,999 before you beat Rakshasa and this can be done with 2k base stats + elite 4.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I said come in! posted:

Here is my character right now, they should be able to complete blow through it but instead they are getting wrecked on carnage dimension 5. So I have to be missing something very obvious.

I haven't started this game yet (except for the demo) and goddamn the Numbers Get Bigger is ramped up to a whole new level. :allears:

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Just started playing this today and performance mode makes me feel like my glasses are smudged up

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Going into Switch settings and force changing the TV Settings to 720p has made a big difference docked. Like, it's still not great and at times not even good (aka in the base), but 720p in graphics mode seems to be even better than 1080/Automatic on performance.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 6, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Halman posted:

Just started playing this today and performance mode makes me feel like my glasses are smudged up

Once you get used to it looking like you are playing the first one natively on a PS2 the game comes together and is a pretty streamlined fun entry. It really feels like it should have 1-2 more features. I don't miss pirating it was kind of annoying, but the item world just feels so sterile. I think they could have fixed this up by making floors over 100 just not have certain types of events. There's plenty to do but it feels like I'm going to the same few windows and in a normal Disgaea I'm ignoring half the features unsure of what to focus on, which is probably why I'm actually making a dent in content this time.

The more I play the more I want an ultimate with 2-3 features from other games ported in running at 1080p60

pixaal fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 6, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Item World is the one thing I will say is the worst of any of the games so far. This is my favorite mode for how random it is and what I love most about Disgaea and they ruined it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Item World is the one thing I will say is the worst of any of the games so far. This is my favorite mode for how random it is and what I love most about Disgaea and they ruined it.

Yeah, I liked finding floors with cool geo-puzzles to fill the bonus gauge for big rewards but a) those virtually never appear in 6 and b) even if they did they would be pointless given the game's focus on autoing everything at warp speed. At least getting an arbitrarily large number of lvl 900 statisticians is more or less trivial.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I said come in! posted:

Disgaea 5 is a rock solid game and available on multiple platforms, including PC. The complete edition with all of the DLC is pretty cheap now. The game is on sale on Steam for $16 right now https://store.steampowered.com/app/803600/Disgaea_5_Complete/

How about Disgaea 4? I've been sold on that with the hilarious trailer and it looks like a solid game, especially with all the extra stuff like making maps and the pirate ship stuff. Is that all in Disgaea 5 as well? Kinda torn since I remember the third game and those funny stacks of characters, but never got around to playing it, and I've seen others mention that 4 is generally better than 5? I can't remember if those monster weapon things were from the trailer for 4 or 5 though, but I know they carried over those stacking mechanics from 3 into 4. Would be my first Disgaea game as well.

They're on sale on PC but I'd like to get away from using Windows and was thinking of picking up a Switch for indies and some Nintendo stuff. I have a PS4 as well which I see it's available for also but I'll probably sell it soon since it mostly gathers dust, so I'm leaning towards getting a Switch and I imagine Disgaea 4/5 run much better than this newest title on there?

Advise me please! These games look like nutty fun but also kinda complex and somewhat overwhelming. I think a trailer for 4 talked up a really good tutorial mode?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Saint Freak posted:

Going into Switch settings and force changing the TV Settings to 720p has made a big difference docked. Like, it's still not great and at times not even good (aka in the base), but 720p in graphics mode seems to be even better than 1080/Automatic on performance.

Thanks for this. 720 is still pretty nice looking to my eyes so I will give that a try.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SUNKOS posted:

How about Disgaea 4? I've been sold on that with the hilarious trailer and it looks like a solid game, especially with all the extra stuff like making maps and the pirate ship stuff. Is that all in Disgaea 5 as well? Kinda torn since I remember the third game and those funny stacks of characters, but never got around to playing it, and I've seen others mention that 4 is generally better than 5? I can't remember if those monster weapon things were from the trailer for 4 or 5 though, but I know they carried over those stacking mechanics from 3 into 4. Would be my first Disgaea game as well.

They're on sale on PC but I'd like to get away from using Windows and was thinking of picking up a Switch for indies and some Nintendo stuff. I have a PS4 as well which I see it's available for also but I'll probably sell it soon since it mostly gathers dust, so I'm leaning towards getting a Switch and I imagine Disgaea 4/5 run much better than this newest title on there?

Advise me please! These games look like nutty fun but also kinda complex and somewhat overwhelming. I think a trailer for 4 talked up a really good tutorial mode?

5 is better than 4 unless you really love the following lines repeated "Sardines", "My Dream", "all is for my Lord". The gameplay, story and characters are a lot better in 5.

Both 4/5 run perfectly well on PS4/PC/Switch alike. You'd get better deals for 5 on not-PS4 due to it having the DLC all bundled in.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

kirbysuperstar posted:

5 is better than 4 unless you really love the following lines repeated "Sardines", "My Dream", "all is for my Lord". The gameplay, story and characters are a lot better in 5.

Both 4/5 run perfectly well on PS4/PC/Switch alike. You'd get better deals for 5 on not-PS4 due to it having the DLC all bundled in.

Valvatorez does not deserve such slander.

Fenris definitely sucked though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Val is good when he shuts up about sardines, which is approximately 10% of the game.

Fenrich is just insufferable and awful though.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Wait there were characters in 4 besides Desco?

This doesn't track with my memory

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man I really wish I understood the progression leap in Disgaea 6 :smith:

I beat baal, I can get my dudes to level 300k in like a hour of doing other stuff, I boot up Carnage 1 and oh enemies are level 5,000? That seems fine. Literally the second map just punches me in the throat and tells me to go away.

Saw a guide on youtube and it was just 'yeah make the ultimate mage girl and have her grind this specific map here's how to do it' only for her to whiff every blow against the enemies he mentioned. It's just :argh:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man I really wish I understood the progression leap in Disgaea 6 :smith:

I beat baal, I can get my dudes to level 300k in like a hour of doing other stuff, I boot up Carnage 1 and oh enemies are level 5,000? That seems fine. Literally the second map just punches me in the throat and tells me to go away.

Saw a guide on youtube and it was just 'yeah make the ultimate mage girl and have her grind this specific map here's how to do it' only for her to whiff every blow against the enemies he mentioned. It's just :argh:

I grabbed a rank 1 LoC item and started ripping that up then got enough level 100+ pot lids to deck an army and tackled a rank 4 until the emblem showed up as a bonus item chugged bonus juice and am now getting that leveled up.

enemies are around 120k to start and you want your guys around 80k. Just deep dive eventually more of whatever you are in will drop and more frequently the deeper you go it feels. Jump to a new one if you get one with a better rarity

Is it min max optimal? No but it is fun and you can feel / see progress. Jump to better emblems as you progress through them, you can always just look up what rank the next emblem is and target it with a bonus gauge in story carnage.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

So, I played some of 1 and then most of 5. What's up with the Prism crew? I just got to Piyori's world and I don't know whats up.

edit: I do play the Android Disgaea RPG game and kind of know they're a thing.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
that 720p trick is perfect, thanks!

Is there somewhere to go look at people's good demonic intelligences?
Mine mostly works but if they get hurt it short circuits and they just stand around as the healer ignores them to go rambo

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

pixaal posted:

I grabbed a rank 1 LoC item and started ripping that up then got enough level 100+ pot lids to deck an army and tackled a rank 4 until the emblem showed up as a bonus item chugged bonus juice and am now getting that leveled up.

enemies are around 120k to start and you want your guys around 80k. Just deep dive eventually more of whatever you are in will drop and more frequently the deeper you go it feels. Jump to a new one if you get one with a better rarity

Is it min max optimal? No but it is fun and you can feel / see progress. Jump to better emblems as you progress through them, you can always just look up what rank the next emblem is and target it with a bonus gauge in story carnage.

I just have no idea what I'm doing really in item world. I get a LOC pot lid and cool sure, but the only thing I find are pot lids or the same tier of junk which means I need to dive into a carnage story and oops there's a 2,000,000 level jump for some reason

Just arghh

The Sean posted:

So, I played some of 1 and then most of 5. What's up with the Prism crew? I just got to Piyori's world and I don't know whats up.

edit: I do play the Android Disgaea RPG game and kind of know they're a thing.

Ongoing joke that finally peaked with giving one of them main character status
1: They were a one off parody
2: Hidden Fight where Adell became Prism Black
3: Red was a DLC character
4: I think he was DLC again? I get 3 and 4 cloudy in my mind
5: They're a generic class you can make
6: The little sister of Red is a main character

No deeper meaning, just a reused gag reaching its peak

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Get to floor 300-400 the next rarity will start to be semi common drops treasure mystery rooms are an excellent source.

Rarity of the item you are exploring seems to make a difference in what tier items you get.

The item god on every 100th floor will always have the next highest of the item you are in equipped. You can use a thief for a 25% chance to steal.

You can also start compounding the poo poo out of your innocents with the farm. Items get bonus stats for innocents in them at the time they level.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Halman posted:

Is there somewhere to go look at people's good demonic intelligences?
Mine mostly works but if they get hurt it short circuits and they just stand around as the healer ignores them to go rambo

If anyone knows of a good DI faq or anything anywhere I'd like to see it too. It's pretty wonky, especially if you're trying to do anything complicated.

One thing I've noticed is that it seems to evaluate the 'When' nodes based on where things were at the start rather than where they are in the flow. So like, "enemy -> closest -> move to target -> if in skill range -> use skill" never works because the "if in skill range" checks based on *before* you moved instead of after; you have to do "enemy -> closest -> if can move into skill range -> move to target -> use skill" instead.

I know it's got plenty of other counterintuitive quirks, but sometimes it's hard to work out exactly why it's doing what it's doing.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Oh my God, the "Cameo Zombie" voice is just Sungwon quoting his own videos?

I think that enemy got the point

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So uh, is there a skill I'm unaware of that doesn't make your MP go down? I decided to level up my spells to 300 as I just wasn't doing any damage and gently caress it I'm now glancing level 9,999,999

But in item world each time I got to the rest stop I also couldn't help but notice that my MP was always completely full outside of maybe one character seemingly picked at random. I glanced over evilties and I got nothing on to why this is happening. Hell sometimes HP doesn't really decrease. That or my eyes are severely messed up and I'm just not seeing things right these days.

E: Yeah somethings bugged. I did 20 floors of item world with level 1000 spells and none of the MP is getting taken away. I sometimes notice one of my war ladies has a bunch of health missing and I can't pay the hospital to heal her (so I just go back to base) but how weird.

Saint Freak posted:

Oh my God, the "Cameo Zombie" voice is just Sungwon quoting his own videos?

I think that enemy got the point

"Like comment and subscribe"

"*mumbling* so the character I'm voicing is just some kind of zombie or something?" etc

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 9, 2021

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So uh, is there a skill I'm unaware of that doesn't make your MP go down? I decided to level up my spells to 300 as I just wasn't doing any damage and gently caress it I'm now glancing level 9,999,999

But in item world each time I got to the rest stop I also couldn't help but notice that my MP was always completely full outside of maybe one character seemingly picked at random. I glanced over evilties and I got nothing on to why this is happening. Hell sometimes HP doesn't really decrease. That or my eyes are severely messed up and I'm just not seeing things right these days.

Magic Collection? It refunds MP from damage so my galaxy mage can blast out elemental overload every turn.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I don't know if it doesn't exist or if I auto battled past it, but I never saw a zombie wielding a horse Weiner in story mode 1/10

There were legendaries in chests during the story, but I don't recall any on the enemies.

The last stage on EP 14 is good for mana if you make it into gods of destruction with cheat shop

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 9, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

171 hours of grinding later

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I don't know if it doesn't exist or if I auto battled past it, but I never saw a zombie wielding a horse Weiner in story mode 1/10

There were legendaries in chests during the story, but I don't recall any on the enemies.

The last stage on EP 14 is good for mana if you make it into gods of destruction with cheat shop

I think Horse Weiner was only in D1

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think one big problem I'm having is leveling up the skills themselves. I see a spell or whatever costing 1QD and I'm like drat that must be mega post game only to find out it's more managable than I thought.

Like I have no idea what's a reasonable number for item raids because it's just a lot more than I signed up for. Also I have no idea why in the goddamn the item world hospital even exists. Ever since Carnage items became the normal I haven't been able to afford a full heal- and Raksha items are even more of a joke with my inflated numbers. Like there's no penalty for leaving a item for the free full heal so why just force that extra step?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Finished the main story today. I ended up liking it and the characters a lot more than I thought I would. What a good family.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I enjoyed the story too, and post game comes together really nicely with auto play. I'm really liking the play cycle of check in between episodes of a netflix show either by playing undocked or if it needs a charge badly switching the HDMI input between episodes. 30 minutes at 32x speed is pretty significant progress towards whatever goal. Then you reincarnate and loop it again.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Saint Freak posted:

I'll have to give this a shot. I've been largely playing docked in balanced mode and it's sort of OK with some frame drops, but I found graphics mode to be completely unplayable and performance mode to look too hideous. I'm about 10 hours in and I'm getting used to it a bit I guess.

Overall I'm enjoying the game so far in the early hours though. I'm just starting to work out some of the DI stuff now. It seems a little finicky, but I really like the idea. Is there a decent guide for DI somewhere?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Why are there so many particle effects on the red liquid that I guess is supposed to be blood flowing from the edge of the base map? You can barely see half that poo poo it's covered by the base and probably what makes this screen so laggy.

Did a project manager just shove their 2D expert team onto this game without adding anyone that knew how to optimize 3D? It's just disappointing to be so in love with a game that preforms so badly. Makes it hard to recommend.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 12, 2021

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Is there any way to pick who autobattles? The only way I've been able to figure it out is to send everyone who I don't want to autobattle off on Research.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Sean posted:

Is there any way to pick who autobattles? The only way I've been able to figure it out is to send everyone who I don't want to autobattle off on Research.

One of your character groups is the designated auto-battle group, so put who you want into that one. You can change which group is set so you don't have to go pulling people out when you want to do different things.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

The Sean posted:

You can turn auto battle off for each character.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

In settings you select which battle group is your auto battle group, then within that you press select on the X-menu > character menu to turn it on and off.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

kirbysuperstar posted:

One of your character groups is the designated auto-battle group, so put who you want into that one. You can change which group is set so you don't have to go pulling people out when you want to do different things.

Mayveena posted:

You can turn auto battle off for each character.

pixaal posted:

In settings you select which battle group is your auto battle group, then within that you press select on the X-menu > character menu to turn it on and off.

Thank you all.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

How does steal work in this game?

I got my thief to 99,999,999 and stole a Raksha Exodus. The game said EXODUS STOLEN and it's not on her or in my inventory. I've reloaded the save to try again and same thing. Uh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Is your inventory full or auto-sell on?