Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I couldn't place where I heard Misedor's voice for the longest time, even though I've watched a crap load of ProZD's content.

Anyway. He's definitely the best character so far. Not really feeling anyone else but Cerberus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Christo was my dedicated buff/aura dude and he excels at that role.

Buffing people by standing near them and then ratcheting up team damage with his special is all he needed to be useful.

Likewise, my AI routine for Melodia is "use the map wide atk buff every turn"

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

orphean posted:

The lukewarmest hot take here but D6 here feels a little empty. I get the fact that D5 was a huge mountain of crazy and different systems and maybe it was all a bit Too Much but they've gone too far the other way. I really miss things like interesting and essential mystery rooms, tower skills, receive, monster weapons/skills, more classes, etc. Hoping now they've pared it all back to the bones they'll start adding things back in (maybe with new concepts/twists?)

I've been taking a break from the postgame but, the postgame has so few actual levels that it's criminal. You get a few rehashed D1 fights, then Baal, then Carnage.

I like the game but as a sequel to D5 it's a massive step down.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Srice posted:

Yeah I was hoping for some postgame stuff that actually felt more like a postgame premise. The D1 stuff is fine but it also just feels no different from DLC scenarios.

I'm glad we don't have to do D3/D4 bullshit to hit Carnage, but setting your team to auto repeat/AI and crunching on Cave of Trials for an hour and being Carnage ready is also kind of lame.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Good Citizen posted:

No argument there. D6’s characters were mostly just kinda unremarkable but 3’s were actively bad

And I did enjoy D6 a decent amount while playing it. Paying $70 to go back to it just seems like way too much

Misedor is really the only standout character for me, but that's also probably because I'm a fan of SungWon Cho and love that they let him ham it up.

But yeah, that price tag is way too steep, D6 was my least favorite in the series since 3 (not that it's a bad game), and 70 bucks isn't worth a rebuy with better performance and the dlc. The endgame being pretty low effort, with autogrind basically being mandatory, and stuff like items being genericized to the point where there's nothing like the armors with extra stats or guns with longer range like in previous games were my big pet peeves. Glad Chara world isn't a thing though.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Is D7 keeping the insanely big numbers? I don't mind levels going high but stats being in the thousands off the bat sucks

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hope they get rid of Rakshasa difficulty as well because it made Carnage largely pointless.

The whole "Turn the game into an idler" endgame sucked so bad.

D6 was such a whiff

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

RillAkBea posted:

So I played the first chapter of 6 and oh dear God, it's all wrong, the numbers are too big, the hospital doesn't heal you, Pleinair is missing, my Prinny has a SWORD!?. It's like one of those anti-satisfying memes in game form.

Still it's perfectly playable and nowhere near as bad as the internet crybaby squad would have you believe, just it's all slightly jarring.

I take it you're playing it on PC? Part of 6's terrible reception was it's awful Switch performance (no idea if they patched it somewhat, I had noticeable performance issues even with graphics turned down)

I don't like the number bloat or the postgame at all but I know a lot of the other complaints are basically personal taste (move to 3D, less generics, etc)

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
6 was also allegedly really low budget, from what I heard NIS hasn't been doing so hot and needed to get it out the door.

I could see that factoring into decisions like the character count and the lovely grindy contentless endgame

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I greatly prefer 2d sprites, but 2d is waaaaaaay more expensive at the quality level disgaea sprites were at with all the frames needed for all those characters.

With 3d its a lot easier to slap on the same animation to different models and call it a day

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

I said come in! posted:

The mobile game went with the 2d sprites in HD and I think that is what ultimately killed it. It was so expensive to keep that game up as a live service mobile title with all of the crossovers and new characters they were adding every month.

Isn't that just the fate of every Gacha game that doesn't get a ton of forever-whales?

I believe the JP version is sticking around so that shouldn't be too much of a concern. It's probably more that once the whales leave a game, its more profitable to put your resources on a new game than leave a few on an old one to keep it on life support.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I assume the cheat shop will have the auto-heal option?

That was my one gripe too, otherwise this game is definitely looking to be miles ahead of D6. Wish it'd have launched closer to JP release and not during a very crowded good-game season for me.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I didn't notice healing being that big of a drain, but I also didn't really buy weapons.

Dropped weapons seem to be way better since they can get random traits in addition to innocents, even if some of those traits suck (3% chance to paralyze?)

A Bow I got on the first chapter 2 map was higher tier than the best one I could buy and turned Pirilika into a murder machine.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Clarste posted:

When I played it in Japanese I ended up getting all my equipment from stealing.

How's the game overall? Seems legit but the item reincarnation stuff seems stupid

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Wonder why I can't pre-order it digitally for Switch?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Mayveena posted:

Can someone explain to a complete idiot how evil gachas work? I don’t get it at all.

I believe that instead of standard hospital rewards, it just pulls a random item as a reward every time you hit some threshold. That item is most likely going to be a piece of equipment but stuff like skill scrolls are in the list too

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Finish D5 first, I'd say.

D7 is equivalent in quality so far, which is high praise from me, given I really really liked D5, and thought D6 sucked. I don't think there's any mechanics from D5 that aren't in D7.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Floor is lava posted:

Are there no hidden chests in the base map in 7?

There's a few if you revisit old maps via sightseeing

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Barring a last minute villain shakeup (I'm about halfway through the campaign) I'm lolling that the big bad in this game is basically America.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Caidin posted:

How's Switch performance, if anyone knows? D6 tended to run choppy.

Fine, the AI sometimes takes a weirdly large chunk of time to process it's turn.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

FractalSandwich posted:

How the gently caress am I supposed to deal with this first giant boss who can one-shot half my team each turn, including my own giant guy, from anywhere on the map?

Giants can hit in a 5x5 aoe so spread out. When he's big, the more units you have out, the more defense you have. If you can hold out 1-2 rounds you can go giant yourself and beat the poo poo out of him.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

FractalSandwich posted:

That's what I was doing. My strongest unit only hits for about 30% of the boss' health, then gets killed by him. My two strongest together can do maybe 50%. I had the rest of my team throw my third and fourth into attack range, but they can't even dent him.

I really don't want to grind this early in the game. Will this be a pattern for later bosses as well?

Just to be clear, are you making your strongest unit giant when the bar fills?

I didn't have anyone but the giant hit him, just turtled around the base panel until I could use it.

Also, while I haven't beaten the game, so far no other boss fight has you up against a giant off the bat

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Looks like I'm starting the carnage unlock maps already.

Not that I am complaining but it feels easier and easier to get to carnage with each game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Man do I really gotta do class mastery one by one for everyone I wanna use in Carnage, it's dreadfully slow even when you're mastering one in 3/4 fights

I just use 1 phys and 1 magic user for carnage and don't worry about support unit stats for this reason