Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I didn’t play much of 6 but it seems pretty cool that monsters can, you know, just equip normal weapons given how many of them want the option to run attacks off their SPD/HIT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

zzMisc posted:

Hey Disgaea doods, I figure this would be the best place to ask this.

I just got my Vita hacked and am looking for what kinda number crunchy fun I can have on it. Being a Disgaea fan I tried starting Hyperdimension Neptunia and ehhhh... yeah I don't think this is my thing. I was hoping to play Trinity Universe but it looks like that was never released outside the PS3. Of course I've already played all the Disgaeas and various NIS PSP re-releases to death. Anyone have any recommendations on something similarly grindy to try, ideally native to the Vita?

I'm looking at the Atelier series that I never played any of, but I know that series varies wildly and I'm not sure which would be the right fit. If ya'll have any other Vita recommendations I'd love to hear em.

It’s not really the same in any way except having an extensive postgame, but Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins has a postgame campaign that made me immediately go “Jesus Christ this is a NIS game now” and it has a pretty long demo so you can see if you like the fundamental ARPG gameplay. Sorry I can’t think of anything more fitting!

Also seconding that Atelier is that good poo poo even if it’s not super grindy and more just chill crafting.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

lovely poker hand posted:

I've decided to take a run at Disgaea 4 Complete+ on Switch. I started with the cheat code on the main menu to unlock all the facilities and the DLC fights. I played the other ones aside from 3, so I have a good sense for the flow of the games generally, but is there anything notable or special about 4 that I should know? I'm under the impression that the only real idiosyncrasy is the campaign HQ stuff, but it just seems like D5 squad's with extra steps?

If you never played 3 then it’s probably nice to know that 3/4 have a kinda weird version of skill boosting where you don’t go from F > F+ > E… but just attach multipliers to F that are applied before DEF/RES and turns the game into rocket tag. I don’t care for it at all but other people don’t seem to mind it, but it’s worth keeping in mind regardless since it means investing in defense beyond dodgetanking or muscles is pointless.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Anyone have any advice for La Pucille? Like little potential gotchas with the character building? Doesn’t seem terribly hard but I figure it’s better to preemptively ask.

Also I’m not very far in, but it’s kinda neat seeing the preludes to stuff like Geo Panel puzzles and team attacks. And I’m pretty sure this shopkeeper is a mushroom.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Disgaea 7’s pretty good going by the demo, but anyone having issues with HL? I think this is literally the first time playing a NIS game where healing my crew was something I actually had to manually do, it feels like the stats are higher than before but not the HL/Mana yield.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
When does that open up? I didn’t see any hands in the shop, so I’m guessing the main method is supposed to be just using the Thief/Bandit’s unique stealing skill they’ll probably unlock soon.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Clarste posted:

One of the uniques has a chance to steal on kill which is amazing.

I’m guessing that’s the tiny ninja girl/crack addict?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

HellOnEarth posted:

I decided to mess around in the item world pretty early on because I got really into it in 5. And now I’m like level 100 and I’m in chapter 5.

Whoops.

I kinda miss being able to just dive into the same item for hours though.

Hey, that’s what the Cheat Shop is for, I got stupid overleveled doing D5 and DD2’s item worlds and just boosted enemy levels in the main story to compensate.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Just overlevel, but if you unlock the Cheat Shop you can just jack up the enemy levels in 1-3 to make it relatively painless since there’s an easy geo puzzle to leave the enemies nearly dead.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Chapter 4 end: drat I can’t believe everyone is loving dead, you hate to see it. Higan seems to rule though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Double posting to ask, am I ever gonna see stealing hands in the hub shop before postgame? The stealing move thieves get kinda sucks compared to the DD2 and (I think?) 5 version where the range got better eventually, and in any case just being able to pop a cheap item for extended range is a much better deal.

Also, thoughts on new Item World? I like that it asks you to be more proactive than just going scorched earth and makes blitzing the gate situationally optimal, but at the same time it’s kind of a bummer that enemies either don’t have super good steals (which, tbh, they haven’t since Disgaea 3 rebalanced things) or my thief is dead because something Jumbofied and punched her out in one hit (not sure how I feel about Jumbofication on the whole because of situations like that) but also the only rewards are more item levels, which feel like that stat bloat stuff I heard about 6, where you get a level 100 emblem but it’s still the equivalent of a +10 one in Disgaea 5.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

zzMisc posted:

No, but there's a shop in one of the sightseeing stages that sells a couple. They restock every battle, still kind of a pain if you want a lot of them.

Well that’s a baffling bummer, thanks.

quote:

Powerlevelling-wise, it's just like previous games where for stats, it's more effective to focus on character levels/stats until late in the postgame.

But the new thing about this one is it seems to be built around using Item World Research and Item Reincarnation to collect properties on items en masse. Item world research is MUCH easier and more effective than in previous games (no sending units away or anything). You just queue up a bunch of whatever items you're not using and let it ride. I've been ignoring equipment stats and just reincarnating things in large quantities, and equipping what I like based on its properties.

Tbh I always treated item world that way too, where it was nice that you came out with a +12 item in the main story but the main prize was bonus gauge/chest/stolen loot. I guess it still kinda works out since fighting enemies who rapidly escalate in levels is a good way to get beat up and roll the hospital gatcha though, haven’t had a chance to dick around with the research or reincarnation features yet.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think it was accidental at first, but yeah at some point they realized people were exploiting the whole level 99 = 31X thing and just deliberately started making maps with EXP + on them as a stepping stone.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Iirc class EXP only cares about the cumulative stats of defeated enemies, or at least that’s how it worked in 5, so beating up Carnage enemies (or Carnage Geo Blocks if that one skill 5 had still exists) is the quickest way to level it since they have approximately forty times the stats of their normal counterparts and keep gaining stats after 9999. It makes sense that the last tier is so absurdly hard to unlock since you can just buy a class’ innate evilty on full mastery.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

poe meater posted:

How has the series evolved over the years? I think I only played Disgaea 2 on PS2 but I enjoyed it.

Would I still enjoy Disgaea 7 if I'm not really into the bigger number go up stuff?

Disgaea hasn’t really had radical changes to its fundamental gameplay beyond QoL because NIS has made a bunch of different games spanning different RPG genres for that purpose, but 7 is a pretty good time if you just want a solid grid-based SRPG. I kinda feel like it’s not a huge improvement over 5 (6 is when NIS finally shifted to 3D models and it’s not the most highly regarded entry for the growing pains associated with that) which is probably significantly cheaper. I guess 4 is even cheaper than 5 but personally it’s my second-least favorite on pure gameplay.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Fond memories of meticulously setting up a giant Item World geo chain, only to realize that I either hosed up the colors outright or forgot to properly account for Color Null.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Looking at the skill list part of the Records, does every weapon really only get four skills? I guess that’s a big upgrade over “literally none” but still that’s like half as much as 5’s.

Also I’m liking the story a lot more than 5’s, especially now that I’m in Act 2 I’ve just started ignoring Item World dives to just blitz through the story. its actually kinda cool how my expectations of Fuji were subverted, he outright says “I will literally die from being/seeing too much kindness” but you just assume it’s the Laharl gag again, but no, he really will literally die from being too empathetic and he’s just kinda slowly dying.

Also gameplay-wise, man, they really had no chill wrt these upgraded secondary evilties, huh. Someone really just went “yeah, this character gives +20% to everyone’s stats for existing”

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I have a cosmic fist that has fist technique 4 (big bang) on it which is good because I haven't unlocked land of carnage mode yet and my closest to a 3x3 is Fuji and his sword skill level is still only like level 38 or 42.

Need to get it to 50 in sword or fist for the 3x3 or use max range magic.

Wait, did they change that one skill inheritance squad from before? If they didn’t you should just be able to put Higan in there with Fuji and he can permanently learn Not-Winged Slayer from her regardless of his weapon level.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Man, demon AI combined with the juice bar is kinda cracked since being level 9999 means ALL of your otherwise lost Exp converts to juice points. I think 48 hours in is the quickest I’ve hit 9999 by, like a lot. It was probably inefficient to burn 200 poltergas charges before doing LOC, but there’s an inventory limit on gas so eh. And according to the guide if you have a bunch of other guys with maxed EXP this whole process somehow gets even faster?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Lategame/postgame spoilers: i thought he was meant to be more analogous to that one historical guy who became so into Japanese culture that he became a famous ambassador, if anything. Also a giant weeb.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Speaking of tedium, I really appreciate how the Juice Bar makes some things so much easier, but, umm, is the best way to build up weapon mastery really just to equip counter stuff/Handicap on a Forced Counter level and go to town?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Kinda wish there were a stage specific AI option where you just manually input the actions you want and the game just memorizes it, im going insane trying to do the LOC Ordeals 4 stage and getting the AI to buff Fuji so he can clear them in one attack. I think I ducked up the AI settings too since the one I had before that has a maiko use Encouragement doesn’t do anything anymore either.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Don’t forget to switch around classes on your unique characters, usually you want your generic units in their initial classes since they automatically get upgraded to the next tier when they master the current one (until you hit five-star mastery at least) but unique characters don’t really have that, so leveling classes lets you hit the requirements for more generics.

Also if you’re coming off Disgaea 2, you can capture humanoids now, which can be easier than recruiting one from scratch.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 31, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
This is the closest to a general Disgaea/NIS thread we have. Idk what D1 Complete has that’s meaningfully different than the PC version though, besides a halfassed implementation of the HD sprites.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

tithin posted:

I've been playing disgaea 5 on my steam deck for a bit - unique generic class skills (ie witch's energy potion) - how do I get these on main characters? I've subclassed killia into witch hoping to pick up some spells but no luck, only evilities available.

By and large unique skills are locked to the class that learns them, iirc the only exception is the Nine-Tails’ geo-related stuff. Fortunately MP regen is eventually something you just have innately for everyone when you make some good curry and let it steep for 100 battles, along with 100% crit if you know what you’re doing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mean, 6 and to an extent 7 are definitely comprised since they’re fully 3D games, which on multiple levels was probably the right call since you can just keep reusing them after upscaling them and maybe just have them do different idle poses. I feel like 5 was the more “complete” experience and more refined with its new ideas like the shift to a more proactive Item World but it was the one that was meant to be NIS’s last game, on top of the third one with modern sprites.

I’m enjoying my time with 7, I guess it helps that I’m not a huge fan of Magichange. Kinda wish they brought back the statisticians/managers/bankers since it turns out if one guy’s just gonna be mass murdering rifle demons anyway so everyone else can drink their way to 9999 them it’s not obnoxious anymore to rely on them. And just having the ability to funnel EXP into people is a great change.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
If that’s the G rank spell Sages get to clear Item World then nah I don’t think so.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I kinda burned out on 7’s postgame, at least when I realized I needed six star mastery on a lot of units but without a really strong weapon to expedite the process since there’s no way I can feasibly steal from a Carnage Item God if I can’t do the D5 thing of just skipping a hundred floors of a Rank 79 to keep the boss at level 9999 + 2000 and not 9999 but really 30000 or whatever. I mean, you can skip floors, but you fulfill so many bonus not-gauge conditions even by doing that that it still doesn’t help.

I don’t think I really care for how much of your power comes from class mastery in the postgame of 5/7, like it’s a cool idea but ideally they’d give about half as much stats so you don’t need the very very strongest, highest leveled items to feel stronger. Also, maybe hot take, but the Land/Dimension of Carnage is a cool idea, but leveling past 9999 is somewhat excessive if the enemies get Level x 20+200 on top of doubled base stats. Maybe level X 10 would be more reasonable. I do appreciate that D7 brought back everyone treating you like a loser there though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Huh, so is the pre-equipment stat cap 10,000,000? I said eff it and decided to max out every class on Fuji to steal Rank 40s (or I guess rank 80s?) but the [Stat] Guy evilties that boost your growths no longer work and give what they should, which feels exceedingly rude when Item Gods seem to require an item being level 300+ which gives them way higher stats than I could have reached.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Maguoob posted:

Yes, in D7 base stats cap at 10 million and so do juice bar stats. Before any equipment you should have some # of HP/SP and 20 million in stats. With max classes, reincarnations, and the better stats from leveling squad the only growth evilties or item bonuses that matter are HP/SP.

Obviously you can the boost the 20 million in stats to a higher number with evilties and character specific unique evilties.

So for the juice bar do I just do the Carnage Ordeal 5 a whole lot more or is there a more efficient way? There aren’t a lot of extracts in there even after like four hundred clears…

Clarste posted:

I can't believe the Disgaea series has broken its one and only promise of bigger numbers.

hosed up for sure, I was so hype when I saw my base stats were at ~1000 after full class mastery and was thinking about how stupid high I could get them with 370% cumulative growth bonuses.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So now that I have Rank 80 items, is there any “trick” to leveling them, like how in Disgaea 2 you passed all three “Make X Stat a Lot Better” bills before leaving the item for the first time? It kinda seems like they streamlined a lot so I kinda doubt it, but assuming I’m not interested in item reincarnation (well at least to make a super item, reincarnating to make something Epic is kinda nice) is there anything to keep in mind assuming I’m already doing the X Stat improvement stuff before diving?

Also, I’ve heard of people queuing up Mr. Gency’s in Item Exploration, but I’m not sure what the point is since your prinnies don’t bring back the Floor 5/10 gencies on clearing even if the people on the expedition club have 10 mil stats.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Holy poo poo it does, thanks. I’m guessing it doesn’t work for stuff like Gold Bars though…

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

tithin posted:

D5: can someone explain the difference between item rank and rarity to me, for the purposes of getting a rank 39 item, to 40

Something I don’t think has been mentioned yet about getting Rank 40s is that only Legendary items (the glowing golden ones) can get you the next tier of item, because the Item God usually has it as a steal and you only fight a God in Floor 100, aka a legendary item.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Also when it comes to 5, probably just don’t worry that much in general outside of insane completionism because Rank 40’s are okay but not like mega impactful since there’s forty more ranks after that in the Carnage Dimension and it’s items.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Afaik getting someone to level 9999 so they can funnel the excess EXP into the bar is the only way outside of having the raw stats/equipment to manually level everyone. I found it relatively painless if you just autobattle and use every possible source of EXP, but having one super unit does kinda make it feel a tad pointless since they can just solo everything outside of the Carnage Dimension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Is there any good equivalent to Outer Gods for melee attackers? Free 50% to all stats is pretty insane for gun/staff/magic users but seems pretty situational for sword/fist/lance users.