Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm a bit late to the party, but I just beat the story and man...

I know the item world normally breaks the story's difficulty curve in two, but I wasn't expecting my first 10 level dive to give me a level 70 dude while I was fighting dudes in their teens in the plot. Bonus points for the fact that I did the dive because all the past games had a "your item must be this tall to pass" level requirement, and 7 does not appear to have that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Rank is just what tier of weapon it is. For instance, the thimble is the rank 1 fist weapon, then the rubber gloves are rank 2 and so on.

Rarity is a random number 0-100 generated on the creation of the item. What color of text an item name is provides a handy visual shortcut for its rarity. High rarity items get better stats and more innocent slot options.

High rarities are just generally superior and a good yellow item can easily punch up several ranks.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The game never tells you the number directly. The easiest way is looking up a table online like these ones

If you want an in game option you can look at the item records with the data npc. It doesn't list the number or show items you havent obtained yet, but the table is sorted by rank.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Something I don’t think has been mentioned yet about getting Rank 40s is that only Legendary items (the glowing golden ones) can get you the next tier of item, because the Item God usually has it as a steal and you only fight a God in Floor 100, aka a legendary item.

Yeah, the last 5 ranks of items can usually only be found in the item world bonuses or stolen from item world enemies.

Rank 40 items can only be stolen from the boss on the 100th floor of a rank 39 yellow item. The boss will always hold the rank 40 version of the item type you entered*

And all of that is hella post-game, so don't worry about it too much unless you don't mind obliterating the difficulty curve.

*the first time. You can't repeatedly, Mr. Gency out to steal a ton of them.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

When your dudes are level 2000 it's kind of at a point where keeping parity is a lot of effort for pretty much no gain. Your advancement at that point is going to be the item world and the level grinding zone, and there's not exactly ever much incentive to slowly grind people up together because of how exponential power starts getting.