Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

It was bugging me where your lv1 stats came from and I couldn't find it anywhere that was spoiler-free, so I did a bit of math. Dropping this here in case anyone else has a hard time finding it:

GrowthStat = (BaseStat + MasteryStat); BaseStat is what you see on reincarnation, MasteryStat is a hidden bonus from mastering classes (like Disgaea 5 had, but not visible).
CurrentStat = (1000 + Level) * GrowthStat

Basically you gain exactly your growth stat each level with no randomness, and start off with 1001 levels' worth. You effectively gain .1% of your starting stats per level, so a level 300 would be ~30% stronger than an equivalent level 1. I only checked this up to level 3, so possibly the formula might change at higher levels, or there might be other factors I haven't unlocked yet.

Maybe this was obvious to anyone who bothered to compare their base stats and level 1 stats right off the bat, but I didn't do that and it was bugging me, and maybe I just saved someone some hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Floor is lava posted:

i would like to file a bug report

game seems to not be parsing string correctly

Nah man, they found the bonus ascii roguelike level and got murdered by %s.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

FractalSandwich posted:

So the English version just uses plain old commas as the digit separator, huh? In the Japanese version, a number like 1,234,567,890,123,456 is displayed as 1234兆5678億9012万3456, with the 兆, 億 and 万 in a different colour, so you can instantly tell what order of magnitude you're dealing with. I thought that was a really smart bit of UI design. Pity it didn't survive localisation. English obviously doesn't have those specific characters, but you could do the same thing with K, M, B and so on.

Hell, if they just straight up used the same characters, it's not like we couldn't figure out what they meant. It's a drat shame we don't have that, it would really make this a lot more readable.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Halman posted:

Is there somewhere to go look at people's good demonic intelligences?
Mine mostly works but if they get hurt it short circuits and they just stand around as the healer ignores them to go rambo

If anyone knows of a good DI faq or anything anywhere I'd like to see it too. It's pretty wonky, especially if you're trying to do anything complicated.

One thing I've noticed is that it seems to evaluate the 'When' nodes based on where things were at the start rather than where they are in the flow. So like, "enemy -> closest -> move to target -> if in skill range -> use skill" never works because the "if in skill range" checks based on *before* you moved instead of after; you have to do "enemy -> closest -> if can move into skill range -> move to target -> use skill" instead.

I know it's got plenty of other counterintuitive quirks, but sometimes it's hard to work out exactly why it's doing what it's doing.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Evilty settup is
Magic Collection (refund 5% SP back to you) (This will never come off) - Witch Family
Happy Song (All units on the map get 30% more EXP) - Sea Angel Family
Study Lover (10% EXP increase) - Bought in Store
Study Whiz (20% EXP increase) - Bought in Store
Study Something (40% EXP increase) - Gain via Reincarnation (Create scrolls to pass it around)
Study Genius (100% EXP increase) - Gain via Reincarnation (Create scrolls to pass it around)
Overlord Training (-50% stats but +50 EXP gain) - I think Laharl had it originally? Him or Ivar. Hell it might even be in the shop. I just had it and made scrolls
World is Mine (30% increase to EXP, MANA, HL) - Melodia Special Evilty (Create scrolls to pass it around)

FYI, all of those EXP evilities only stack additively with your statisticians. If you have 900 statisticians, all of those evility slots combined give you the equivalent of only 330 more. If those slots instead could get you into a higher difficulty with stat/damage boots, do that.

If you're using prinny squad / prinny hat with Etna's Dominant Smile you might be stat-bonus-capped regardless, but if not, at the very least Unstable Power is probably a much better idea than Overlord Training, which is actually only granting ~5% gain if your statisticians are already capped.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

I do like the fact that they changed the formula again. The introduction of auto-battle and complete removal of duping had a lot of ripple effects mechanically, and I felt like they dealt with them pretty well.

But yeah, in pretty much every other respect it feels like a kind of hollow shadow of 5. The first 10 or whatever chapters of the story, before the start of Act 2, really drives this home; it just does the "intro character, powerup character" thing more blatantly, even referencing it in the dialogue, but with way less memorable one-note characters. Act 2 on was better and fun though. But then the postgame is just nothing at all.

But it's still Disgaea, still enjoying it, now have 260 hours clocked though mostly from auto-battling every high-ranking rakshasa item to 9999. Life is too busy right now to really sit and play this constantly, but hey, now I don't have to.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 26, 2021

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Pladdicus posted:

Beat the 'game', and needing some HL to start using all my juice points! Any easy ways of grinding? I don't want the most efficient 40 hour set up ones, just one I can leave it on for a bit.

The Damage Reward evility on a mage casting Elemental Burst. Make Elemental Burst as strong as your mana allows. Repeat a level that she can finish in one shot. Use the 1-slot evility that boosts damage against whatever enemy type you're grinding on. Do NOT use HL boosting evilities, they do not affect the gain from Damage Reward; just stick to things that boost damage.

Edit: Whoops, the whole point of Elemental Burst is that it always costs your max SP, regardless of how strong it is.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 27, 2021

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

pixaal posted:

It always uses 100% of your SP, you do damage based the stat NOT your SP, you do do damage based on the percentage of SP you have. There's another evility that is critical that you get an SP refund for doing damage this should completely fill your SP back up ideally. SP is a bad stat for a mage.

You do not need to refill your SP if you're finishing a level in one burst and repeating.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Saint Freak posted:

I think the preferred method is to combine Damage Reward with Handicap (cannot kill lower level units) and just let the game beat on an early story dude forever. Save on going through battle start/end screens.

Yeah, but then you run into the problem of enemies not staying put from one round to the next. That's probably easily taken care of with the paralysis-causing innocent though, but I didn't have any or think of it when I was in that spot. Probably better to put them to sleep actually anyway, for the crits.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

So can you ever get more than a 25% steal chance on a thief?

There's an evility that doubles steal rate, and puts the cap at 50%. Then you can use things like Hasty Rush and Melodia's extra turn skill to get more chances.

Edit: It's DLC though, it's on Fuka.

Edit2: And I'm wrong again! I just noticed my thief has higher than 50% chances against this IW boss. There may be a cap in specific circumstances though, like stealing a legendary from an Item God 2.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 28, 2021

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

el oh el Steam pricing what?

In any case while I'd love to try it on PC, I think I'll just wait until the price is more reasonable for this game I already played on Switch.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Just FYI, sale on NIS stuff going on right now until Oct 31 on Steam. Disgaea 6 marked down by 30% to a still-kinda-high just under $50. Bunch of their other stuff is on sale too, though most of it still not as much as I'd like.

Notably, D5 is $10, which is pretty unambiguously the better game of the two, even though I personally like D6's automated farming stuff.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

OhFunny posted:

Disgaea 7 details Netherworld Tourism, mini-games, more classes

Interesting new feature. Revisiting old stages in noncombat tours to chat with NPCs to recruit them and get quests.

I also saw something about "item Reincarnation", but it was in a link to a video and comments that were entirely Japanese so I have no better idea than that what that's about. Welp, guess we'll find out next summer or later!

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Clarste posted:

[*]Dodekamax mode means that the enemy can attack you from anywhere on the map, which means lol if you're bringing anyone who isn't an invincible superunit.[/list]

TBH, I actually like finally getting rid of the bonus gauge - it was always a strange oddity that forced you into doing weird things like maxing counter on a physically weak unit so they could built it, or whatever - and I don't mind this game being focused on you having a small number of powerhouses since that's how I always played them anyway. I never really used tower attacks much through the whole series either, so while I appreciate these are significant losses if you don't play the same way I do, personally those don't deter me.

But that last one makes me super curious. How common is "Dodekamax"? Is it something where you're expected to just go ham on that unit immediately, or are you forced to protect yourself from it? It sounds like they could wipe out any glass cannon / healers quickly, but generally when these games introduce that sort of thing they also introduce a counter of some kind. I would assume heavy knights are available to protect your weaker units, even from that?

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm pretty sure DI runs needing a currency proves the opposite of that

It absolutely does not, sight unseen I can almost guarantee you that this currency will significantly limit your ability to AFK right up until the early postgame, when you find whatever the trick is to max it out, at which point it becomes irrelevant. I'd be very surprised if it ends up working any other way TBH.

Edit: if they decided to be tricksy about it, maybe they made it so you can earn it in some way *while* autobattling, so the trick is in actually choosing your character's actions so they can regain what they cost and run indefinitely. That could actually be kinda cool IMO

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 14, 2023

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Hey Disgaea doods, I figure this would be the best place to ask this.

I just got my Vita hacked and am looking for what kinda number crunchy fun I can have on it. Being a Disgaea fan I tried starting Hyperdimension Neptunia and ehhhh... yeah I don't think this is my thing. I was hoping to play Trinity Universe but it looks like that was never released outside the PS3. Of course I've already played all the Disgaeas and various NIS PSP re-releases to death. Anyone have any recommendations on something similarly grindy to try, ideally native to the Vita?

I'm looking at the Atelier series that I never played any of, but I know that series varies wildly and I'm not sure which would be the right fit. If ya'll have any other Vita recommendations I'd love to hear em.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Last Celebration posted:

It’s not really the same in any way except having an extensive postgame, but Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins has a postgame campaign that made me immediately go “Jesus Christ this is a NIS game now” and it has a pretty long demo so you can see if you like the fundamental ARPG gameplay. Sorry I can’t think of anything more fitting!

Also seconding that Atelier is that good poo poo even if it’s not super grindy and more just chill crafting.

I hadn't heard of that one, I'll check it out, thanks! Althrough right now I'm specifically looking to make use of the Vita. But I'll probably set up game streaming on it at some point anyway.

Atelier sounds perfect though then, to me it's more about having something chill without a real lose condition to kick back and push forward in; I didn't mean to sound like a 300-hour postgame was the big requirement, it's more just about playing with mechanical systems to make them numbers go up. Like, I played a bit of Stardew Valley, and that was almost perfect except the time pressure made me want to optimize my time in a way I don't really want to have to do. Definitely sounds like Atlier is exactly what I'm looking for already and there's certainly plenty of 'em.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

OhFunny posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEHB4eWVT4g

The demo is out now. I don't see one on Steam, but it is available for download on Switch.

Haha, 20+ years and 7 games later we finally get to hear Tsunami Bomb again!? :rock:

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

So now that I've paid a whopping $112 for the complete version on Steam like a sucker, I feel comfortable letting folks know that I've been able to play it on Switch for a bit now (cough) and I've played up to the final chapter, so here's some infos.

-The story is better than the front half of D6 but IMO still not as fun as 5, and is very, very anime.
-Main game plays pretty much no different than previous iterations. You can break it over your knee by getting a few class *'s and reincarnating.
-Quest shop is back, yay!
-Class unlocks are bound to story progress; quests to unlock them are metered out as you reach new chapters.
-If basic UI functions and things seem weirdly unavailable, check the dark assembly, many things now need to be unlocked there first, but the bills aren't hard to pass.
-One novel difference is that many maps, especially in the back half of the story, just require defeating a 'boss' unit to complete. Like, not even final chapter maps.
-The DLC extra character battles are actually hard, with geo tricks and whatnots. You might not be able to just grab all DLC characters immediately.
-Prinny Instructor / Prinny Hat combo is there but has been reduced to 20% instead of 100%. Still worth it.
-You can adjust Class XP yield in the cheat shop now. Edit: Wait, that was in D6 too apparently
-A couple evilities claim to grant EXP but actually grant *Skill EXP*. It's obvious which ones. Other translation issues abound, check your character's actual bonuses in battle to confirm things do what you expect.
-As far as I can tell, auto-battle/Poltergas is only useful for two things: PVP (playing offline, haven't tried) and auto-repeating cleared maps. It is COMPLETELY DISABLED and unusable for item worlding. I do not yet know how that's going to effect postgame progression.
-For some reason they now color damage numbers based on the damage type, instead of damage/healing/critical; fire is red, wind is green etc.
-Litt

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 3, 2023

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Fun fact: Right now more Steam players have the "Reach Level 99" achievement (39.2%) than the "Clear Ep. 4" achievement (36.4%).

More players have reached level 9999 (27.1%) than have cleared episode 7 (26.1%).

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 5, 2023

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Last Celebration posted:

Double posting to ask, am I ever gonna see stealing hands in the hub shop before postgame?

No, but there's a shop in one of the sightseeing stages that sells a couple. They restock every battle, still kind of a pain if you want a lot of them.

Last Celebration posted:

Also, thoughts on new Item World?

Powerlevelling-wise, it's just like previous games where for stats, it's more effective to focus on character levels/stats until late in the postgame.

But the new thing about this one is it seems to be built around using Item World Research and Item Reincarnation to collect properties on items en masse. Item world research is MUCH easier and more effective than in previous games (no sending units away or anything). You just queue up a bunch of whatever items you're not using and let it ride. I've been ignoring equipment stats and just reincarnating things in large quantities, and equipping what I like based on its properties.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Good Citizen posted:

Do the character DLC stages ever stop scaling with your max character level? Having one character way higher than everyone else and attempting a stage where every monster on the stage is level matched and also the star enemy character is in permanent hell mode can be a bit rough. The one's I have beaten are mostly from abusing the full heal when gigantifying

Yes, at level 9999. :P

In seriousness, I was only able to handle those after getting a few class stars on my main and reincarnating, to boost stats while keeping level lower. Do that too much and the rest of the main game will be trivialized, though, if you're trying to maintain some challenge there.

Last Celebration posted:

Well that’s a baffling bummer, thanks.

Something just occurred to me - supposedly you can stick Gency's in the item research, reincarnate them back into Gency's again, and every time they reincarnate you get another use out of it. Maybe the same can be done with stealing hands?

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 7, 2023

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

gently caress Demon Shogi.

At least you can just look up the solutions, but yeesh.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This is actually one thing I wish were different about the series, but it's done well, so no big deal. The all-at-once style means you have more extreme and sudden outcomes, and I'd rather have lots of opportunities for each to side respond to the other's actions.

From the very first game, I always felt like this was the part of the whole "loose, exploitable, abusable" mechanical system that made this series so unique. At the time of Disgaea 1's release the SRPG world was basically full of "serious" games about the trials and horrors of war, with tight mechanics to match. Everything was trying to be 'realistic', heavily strategy-based, with victories always hard-won by a hair.. then comes along this ridiculous saturday-morning-cartoony SRPG about demons in a game with hilariously exploitable mechanics and a million ways to "cheat" that are right in line with what your characters would do. Focusing entirely on damage and ganking your enemies before they have a chance to respond is totally part of that.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 12, 2023

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Alkanos posted:

Agreed. On paper it looked really neat, sort of like programming puzzles that also get you used to the DI system. In practice every solution boils down to moving units to specific squares and doing specific actions. So everything is the same as moving the units yourself. Only you have to do it through the clunky DI interface that will make you pull your hair out.

It wouldn't be so bad if you could just play the maps normally first, so you can figure out exactly *how* you're supposed to complete them. It really sucks to look over the map & characters, formulate a strategy, wrestle with the DI system until you get them to do the thing you're intending, then finally realize your strategy isn't going to work and go back to square one. Sincere kudos to anyone who has the patience for that, I did not.

One of the last achievements I have left is Geo Master for getting a 5+ geo symbol chain. Shouldn't be hard to do except after several hundred IW floors I have never seen one with more than 4 symbols, at all. I'm sure one of the main maps has a layout to do it but man I'm not looking forward to peeking back at each one looking for it. It really seems like the IW is limiting the number of geo symbols it spawns but I suppose I could just be really unlucky.

Edit: I used martial 4 with "back to square one" on (not sure if necessary) to get it. It required warp movement to get around though. I had duped items with the passive to warp around which worked, or there's also the teleport evility.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 13, 2023

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

So after feeling vaguely disappointed with D7 I started up a fresh run of D5 to remind myself why that's still the best Disgaea.

The first thing I noticed was the news ticker at the base - I had forgotten about that, news tickers are great, why wouldn't they keep doing that? Then there's fun little touches like pressing buttons to make the animations chang on the loading screens. And I had to check and confirm that not just NPC placement but full base customization - well, using different maps for your base, at least - will be coming up when I hit later chapters and that's always fun, and the online features included actually making custom battle maps both for powerlevelling and for making fun geo challenges and stuff, rather than just dull PVP.

I started doing the DLCs and was reminded of the whole Laharl's Birthday storyline - even the DLCs in this game were more fun and interesting than D6/D7 where IIRC they were mostly just "here's this character, have fun". I do like that D7's actual DLC fights had some bite to them though.

Still, D7 feels like maybe it didn't make the missteps D6 did, but it didn't add much to the formula either, and so much of the extra charm and fun is missing. D5 remains the best one, and it's way cheaper!

Edit: Oh poo poo, dual wielding and giant magichange, how could I forget that??

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

tithin posted:

outside of that I saw a strategy for max farming 20* asagi map to max out stat boosts from extracts,

I've been doing a D5 run myself and I've got some advice for you, but I'm not sure how much you actually want so I'll mark it in spoilers. Suffice to say that no matter how you do it, the postgame in D5 is going to be a slog, as that's kind of the point; if you're not enjoying putting on a podcast or whatever and grinding away, there's really no reason to do it, all you get for the hundreds-of-hours-grind to beating carnage baal is IIRC a special sword you don't need and a "congrats, you really, really beat the game!".

Your Sage is plenty good enough for farming extracts at this point. Equip a megaphone (from some quest, I forget now) in your off-hand and give her Rasperyl's recruiting evility, and go clear double fake with land decimator at the highest difficulty you can. You should get ~40 recruits per run, nearly half of what Metallia would get. You may have to manually run out and kill the boss Asagi with a Tera spell but it'll still be faster to max out extracts on your Sage this way. Use the evility "Combat High" to help a lot with clearing, and use the maid's evility that expands use item range to 5 squares so you can use the extracts on 5 characters at a time.

Except maybe for maxing the boost & status innocents, and even that isn't really necessary yet, you probably shouldn't be bothering with item world before maxing stats from both extracts and class mastery/levelling.