Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's out now! In America, and Europe, it's only on Nintendo Switch and in english. Only Japan got the PlayStation 4 release. All other regions are Switch only. NIS has maybe $5 and some loose change under the couch to work with. Maybe a PS4 localization will happen eventually, who knows?

What's changed in Disgaea 6?
- The level cap is 99,999,999
- You first have to unlock this in multiple stages though, and this is a little confusing. First unlock Accept an Overlord’s Challenge in the Dark Assembly (you need to first complete the storyline). You have to complete all of the following maps one time:
Shozuka Plains
Ancient Town
Hill Fortress
Harvana
Ancient Town II
Hill Fortress II
Harvana II
Shozuka Plains II

Now in Dark Assembly, pass Challenge the Carnage Dimension! now you have access to the level cap of 9,999,999. In order to give each character this unlock, you need to super reincarnate them from the Dark Assembly, and then choose the Lv Limit Break 1, you'll need 20,000 Karma for each character. Now finish Carnage Dimension to unlock the other level cap, which you're not doing anytime soon (enemies start at level 300,000), it requires a massive amount of grinding.

- The Juice Bar is a new mechanic for increasing your characters stats and level to insane numbers. You'll be grinding for a lot of HL to be able to use this, it's worth it.
- weapons/armor/items are unlocked in levels by default. Item world goes on forever, so you can make extremely powerful items right away, and then make them even more powerful with item world points.
- Throwing characters and objects on the maps no longer has to be in a straight line only. Probably one of the best mechanic changes.
- Item world leveling, updates that item in the item shop to the level you got. So no more needing to level up the same item over and over again for multiple characters, just buy it again in the item shop.

So the massive new level cap seems overwhelming at first, but it cant be unlocked until after you complete the story line. This is the easiest of the Disgaea games too. You can complete the whole thing in one sitting if you skip the cutscenes, but the story is actually pretty funny, and the characters are cool, so it's worth it to watch all of that.

Another tip: play the game with performance mode turned on, Balanced and Graphics mode are nearly unplayable. The frame rate is really bad. All of the characters have moved to 3D models now, instead of really nice high resolution sprites that looked awesome in Disgaea 5. This was a terrible idea.... if your game is Switch only which for whatever reason cannot handle this. The PS4 version is a silky smooth 60fps at all times in graphics mode, hence why fans are so desperate to get NIS to localize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ougher posted:

I would like to play this game. It's a shame that it isn't out yet. :colbert:

A Disgaea game not on PlayStation feels wrong on so many levels. I bought a PlayStation 2 because of Disgaea.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It depends on who you ask about the stat boost stuff. I've seen plenty of long time fans be turned off by the insane stat increase. It feels unearned, and I can see the logic behind that. In previous Disgaea games you start off doing single digit damage, and then you slowly turn into a god like character doing billions of damage. Now you're doing massive damage and getting levels into the thousands within the first few hours of the game.

So yeah, it's Disgaea 5 on crack.

Pierson posted:

How bad are the problems on Switch? Bad enough to make it unplayable?

Graphics mode is unplayable, balance mode is tolerable at best 50% of the time? I still couldnt handle that. It's better than at launch in Japan where they had graphics mode only. :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pierson posted:

That sucks but from the first part of your post I think I might prefer D5 more anyway. Just having stats and levels handed to you for nothing doesn't sound like the Disgaea I'm used to (haven't really played since 3).

Disgaea 5 is a rock solid game and available on multiple platforms, including PC. The complete edition with all of the DLC is pretty cheap now. The game is on sale on Steam for $16 right now https://store.steampowered.com/app/803600/Disgaea_5_Complete/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NumptyScrub posted:

Ok second dumb question now that it's downloading to the Switch, is the season pass DLC bundle thing worth a punt, or not? That's a lot of small individual DLCs it has, all of which are a couple of bucks each, and it's unclear if they are purely cosmetic stuff or if there is useful extra gameplay there. Is it worth it or should I just steer clear?

It's just characters from previous games, and color sets. Not all of the characters are added yet too. I am waiting for Usalia to be added, cause she was the one I rocked Disgaea 5 with for most of the game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Auto battle does still need some work, unless Demon Intelligence has some way to fix this; the AI doesn't know how to throw characters over too platforms that are separate from the rest of the map. They will get hanged up on this stuff and it will disable auto-battle.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In the post game, what is the best way to grind for HL? Can have HL set to 1000% in the cheat menu, but want to find a good place to grind for HL now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay I figured out how to setup the HL grinding evility on a Galaxy Mage. Still have a little bit of preparation though before its perfected.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This HL grinding method is really nice, but what people don't tell you is the amount of prep time required to get to the point where you're bringing in billions of HL in seconds. :P Your Galaxy Mage needs really high stats, so it's best to stop grinding every hour or so to spend your HL on building up their stats, you're also going to need to focus on grinding for mana.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does anyone have a good written walkthrough of a post-game grinding path? My characters have slowed down in leveling at around level 3.4 million, so i'm trying to figure out how to get them to 9,999,999 so I can get through carnage difficulty.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

zzMisc posted:

Nah man, they found the bonus ascii roguelike level and got murdered by %s.

Haha this was my first thought.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For those that beat Carnage Dimension, what was your party? I am really struggling to make any progress on Carnage V.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Maguoob posted:

A single galaxy mage that was overpowered from the demo.

You probably don’t want to play the recruit a ton of level 9999 characters and use their d-merits for juice bar usage in the normal game though.

Max level, capped base stats and you should be mostly there already; I think. If not you’ll probably want to get juice bar stats somehow. The trick using the level 9999 useless character bug with a witch and the hp to sp evility done a few times certainly wouldn’t hurt. Just compare your stats to the enemies to see how much you actually need to increase. Though it is tedious and if you can avoid it I would.

Here is my character right now, they should be able to complete blow through it but instead they are getting wrecked on carnage dimension 5. So I have to be missing something very obvious.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah i'm killing everything in one hit, but there are so many enemies on that map that they destroy my mage in one turn.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol I finally beat Carnage V. I put a bunch of defense and support evilities on my Galaxy Mage, that was what I had to do.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Item World is the one thing I will say is the worst of any of the games so far. This is my favorite mode for how random it is and what I love most about Disgaea and they ruined it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

171 hours of grinding later

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think all of the season 1 DLC is out now in America.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kloa posted:

Any word on it coming to PS4 (or heck, PC :lol:)? Really don't want to play this at 15 fps

Nothing yet, I really hope it happens. I think Pixaal is probably right.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

OhFunny posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz4RBG9Kmoo

Congrats on being right pixaal. D6 comes to PC, P4&PS5 this summer.

Ooh thank gently caress! So glad to see this. Will be totally cool with playing through the game again but this time with an acceptable frame rate.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Disgaea 6 is finally out tomorrow for PC.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

Imagine if you will : double digit frames per second

And a screen resolution above 420p. I am excited to buy the PC version tomorrow and do the grind all over again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mayveena posted:

Those are both good points, hadn't thought of that. Ah well, it's only money right? :)

On the other hand playing handheld is a huge bonus. I wonder how this will play on Steam Deck? I am unable to get one of those.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mayveena posted:

Geezus it's amazing how much better it looks on PC at 2560x1440. Yeah it's expensive and I'll try it before going past the two hour refund window but simply the graphics make it my preferred way to play the game if I play it at all.

Yeah the switch version looks like dog poo poo smeared across a screen. This PC port is so much better looking just for the gigantic graphics upgrade.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My Xbox One controller is working just fine with the game, so that is really odd!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think the 2D sprites of Disgaea 5 look better, but I have warmed up to the 3d models of this game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

pixaal posted:

Normally their complete editions are priced at the base game price though. This is the first to get a price bump. They might be hurting for cash, they publicly traded?

NIS is pretty much always on the brink of closing their doors for good. I'm not sure they've ever fully recovered from Disgaea RPG.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I forgot everything I did about my playtime in the Switch version. 500 hours of AFK grinding. :P I feel lost all over again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Maguoob posted:

I wonder if we’ll get the PlayStation version in the west at the same time as the switch or if we’ll have to wait even longer for a version that won’t run like rear end.

I really hope so, it would be a gigantic mistake to make this timed exclusive on switch again. I dont think anyone is going to touch the switch port after how bad D6 was on it. I wont even do that.

I just want D7 to go back to the level 9999 level cap, but I assume the new cap is here to stay.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

OhFunny posted:

Auto-batting will require a resource called Masoline that is earned through clearing stages. A stage you have already cleared through auto-battling will auto-complete on subsequent attempts. Again for Masoline.

So it sounds like you might not be able to have the game auto-battle this time 24/7 while leaving it unattended? I like that giants can hit anywhere on the map, that should be a good strategy for the end game stuff that is really hard.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All of the new characters look really cool, but Piichan is where it's at.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

OhFunny posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqboPfcIO6M

New six minute long trailer for Disgaea 7 going over characters, systems, and other things.

No release date yet for Japan release right?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

OhFunny posted:

D6 was released in Japan in January and then worldwide in June. It will probably be the same for D7.

Just please for the love of god no Switch only release in America. I'm not buying D7 on the Switch.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Steam Deck would play this game perfectly. That is what i'll be playing it on.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It sounds like Disgaea 7 wants to lean even harder into AFK grinding than D6 did.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Clarste posted:

Well, I have beaten Disgaea 7. Ultimately I ended up just funneling all my experience into C4 (Sheefore? Dunno how they're gonna localize that but she loves explosives so it's obviously meant to be a pun on C4) because she has a passive 50% chance to steal items on attack which is amazing for getting equipment items. Although there's another character you get somewhat later who is literally designed to be a one-woman army, so... Anyway, despite all that, a lot of the later stages seem designed specifically to discourage this sort of gameplay, with like Geo Panels you need to kill to even be able to hurt the boss spread out in the 4 distant corners of the map, or a boss that inflicts unavoidable super-stun on anyone he hits with his specials, making it literally impossible to solo him unless you can kill him in one hit, I guess.

I always hate that about some of the single player stories for Disgaea. They have a few maps each usually that are more like puzzles. Disgaea 6 had annoying stuff like this, and Disgaea 3 was the worst about it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ryanbomber posted:

Western release for 7 just got announced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLlk74apf2Q

Fall 2023, Switch/PS4/PS5/PC release

Giant characters being localized as "Jumbility" :v:

Oooh thank gently caress, I am so glad they are making the right choice this time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

Wow, no "complete" edition in a year? NIS must be hurting bad, then.

Edit: Ah, Disgaea's Wano arc. I guess Disgaea 8 will be "The End of Evangelion One Piece Disgaea" then?

As long as Disgaea RPG keeps going. I still play that stupid mobile game and have been playing it since the day it launched finally in America.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For some reason I thought it had always been that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Deki posted:

I greatly prefer 2d sprites, but 2d is waaaaaaay more expensive at the quality level disgaea sprites were at with all the frames needed for all those characters.

With 3d its a lot easier to slap on the same animation to different models and call it a day

The mobile game went with the 2d sprites in HD and I think that is what ultimately killed it. It was so expensive to keep that game up as a live service mobile title with all of the crossovers and new characters they were adding every month.