Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I haven't tried them yet, but I think I'm glad they added auto battles. In D5 I got tired of all the button pressing for simple stuff like item world. The fun was in building things and powering them up, not telling units where to move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

NumptyScrub posted:

As my first proper Disgaea, I think I'm playing it wrong; I ran the same battle 10 times for one of the early quests, decided to crank the enemies up to 20 stars in the cheat shop while I was doing it, and when I tried out auto battle and auto repeat I think I've turned it into an idle clicker :v:

No, that seems to be the idea here. It was always about grinding, but after hours and hours of grinding, it becomes clear that an auto system could do the chores like running the same map over and over.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't really like games design that encourages me to turn my console on and leave it running on the table. I'd rather they focus on making the gameplay fun enough that I want to play it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hope so. I would like to actually play a good new disgaea game.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

nrook posted:

Despite its love of big numbers, Disgaea has always been on the side of SRPGs with good gameplay; that is, games where you move all of your characters and then the bad guys move all of theirs, rather than their actions being interwoven.

This is actually one thing I wish were different about the series, but it's done well, so no big deal. The all-at-once style means you have more extreme and sudden outcomes, and I'd rather have lots of opportunities for each to side respond to the other's actions.