Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Nierbo posted:

This might be Conor's retirement fight if he loses

I mean he's gonna make more easy money on the YT boxing circuit, so the circus only moves a little further out of town limits.

beep by grandpa posted:

I also think it is unwise for Conor fighting again just 6 months after such a bad KO. If Dustin lands with basically any power shot he's gonna be on the canvas. He should have taken a year off after that

It's not great, but it also depends vastly on how he's been doing his camp and how much damage he's taken there.
Getting a steady diet of punches in the months leading up is worse than getting a clean KO on fight night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Brut posted:

hahahaha what the gently caress how is that not an onion article

I think the article's police MRAP stock photo undersells it.
The actual trucks are much less tacticlol and therefore funnier.
This is their FB page's cover photo

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mean Bean Machine posted:

poirier mcgregor 3 press conf is on now and conor is trying so hard to go back to old conor and it feels so forced and sad. insulting poirier's wife and dustin with the perfect response: your trashtalking used to be a lot better than that, loving weak

Conor x Dustin 4 promos will center around how last time, Dustin got inside of Conor's head, turning the tables. But this time, Conor's got it all dialed in.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I wonder how they decide who gets to do the sponsorship plug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxsZXg5Q_XI&t=425s
If it's first come first serve, if the manager convinces the UFC their guy is the best shot, or what.

Anyways, this is corny but I hope Wonderboy gets decent cash for it. And not State of Survival bucks or worse, NFTs.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jake Paul's Twitter fingers get itchy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mrs. Dash posted:

I feel like someone got a bunch of used military trucks for cheap and didn't know how to make money off them so they decided to put a trash truck arm on em

As I noted, the actual company is completely pedestrian, despite the name
https://battlemotors.com/pages/trucks

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

evobatman posted:

-Because he never used to leg kick before and don't have the years of experience and conditioning a regular leg kicker does, he inevitably fucks up something. Most likely his own leg.

When talking about conditioning for your legs, it's mostly to do with nerves in the skin. Repeated microtrauma to the bone can make the surface denser, but not to a degree that would protect it from hitting a hard object.

Freudian slippers posted:

It showed that McGregor, with about 11 seconds remaining of the first, throws a straight body kick. Poirier keeps his guard up, but blocks/deflects it hard with his elbow.

I saw that replay, but it doesn't seem like the shin hits Poirier's elbow or forearm. Still, Conor was throwing the rear kick so much that I'm not surprised it fractured off of one of the hits.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Southpaugh posted:

Herb playing company man to that degree is just ridiculous

It'd honestly be surprising to me if Herb was getting a secret check from the UFC. Refs are only paid by the commissions in regulated states, right? Herb could get work elsewhere and just miss out on an international flight or two.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

crepeface posted:

edit: oh yeah, he also has not really had to get used to roundhouse leg kicks because he mostly fights against orthodox fighters. he could get away with a long bladed stance, exposing the back of his legs because opponents would need to switch stance to kick there.

You can throw a lead roundhouse to a mirror stanced opponent without switching stance. It is something southpaws get a lot more practice doing on offense, but I as a southpaw never took it for granted that my front leg was safe from orthodox kickers. Conor's bladed stance is a range choice he makes against orthodox fighters.

TheKingslayer posted:

That sounded like an, "always bad" judgement and that wasn't it. Just the thought he wasn't necessarily a tippy top world beater guy.

I think if he'd never fought Nate at "155," he could have picked up some more highlight reel wins in a 145 title reign.
Going to 155 because he struggled to make 145 still exposed him to bigger and stronger fighters, namely the 3 who've beaten him in recent history.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 12, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

crepeface posted:

i've never seen a lead leg roundhouse in an open angle land with any kind of speed or power without a telegraphing stance switch/half step. is this a TKD thing? do you have any links

You rock your upper body back as a counterweight and throw essentially a Brazilian kick from the ground. It's not gonna be as powerful as a kick with more windup or hip torsion, but it's more than enough to damage (or turn them around if they're only lifting their leg and not full-on checking)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVXv0nHE8N4&t=99s
That's same stance and to the body instead of to a mirror leg, but the body shift is the same.

Wonderboy teaches a karate version that emphasizes snapping the shin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV8gNR8qpes&t=308s

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Oh, Conor
https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1413336731844157455

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This guy really belabors the point, but not much hard contact on the very last teep Conor threw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK7xB0XDbmw&t=24s

Another theory has it as the round kick at 13s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeAfdAhzggQ&t=6s

crepeface posted:

interesting. i feel like the mirror stance/open angle match up fucks up the range though (since you're leaning away) and basing off your back foot.

It is a completely different range, yes. Offensively (when your opponent is not moving toward you), their lead leg is the only easy target.
Either you throw a fast weak lead kick to it, or a really slow (since it has to swing almost 180deg) rear kick to the inside of the leg, the one that is begging for a straight counter.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 12, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Freudian slippers posted:

I don't mean to rag on you here, I think the debate is interesting and I'm fully prepared to accept that the damage happened earlier in the fight. That said, I'm not a fan of the video you posted.

The elbow check may very well not have been a factor in the leg break and it's not important to me if it was or wasn't, but that video is... not good at proving what it says it proves. He claims there was no check because the foot goes past the elbow, when that's exactly how the technique is supposed to be executed. "It's obvious that the kick comes inside the elbow", yeah no poo poo? Sure, you're supposed to do it before it connects with your stomach, but that doesn't mean Dustin didn't do it.
I think the guy's unspoken argument is that if Dustin's left elbow were to have made meaningful contact, it would be a lot closer in that still picture and in the few frames he isolated.
By the time Conor's foot contacts and starts retracting, there'd be so little speed left that Dustin wouldn't really be able to do that kind of damage in the remaining couple of inches he had left to reach down. So:
- no video evidence of contact
- video shows pretty slow approach of the right forearm such that it wouldn't be a factor if it did make contact

And yeah, I dunno who cared about the left elbow, but he just wanted to make it abundantly clear that that was not a factor.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Destro posted:

Did Nick forget that Robbie Lawler punches aren't good for you?

If he did, it was obviously the punches that did it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

Khabib is actually a very cool guy, so long as you do not recognize the autonomy of Crimea or his wife

Conor saying his wife is hiding under a towel: liberator, hero.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

awesomeolion posted:

"if i grew up in dagestan i would stand up to all the local war lords while also respecting women" - you guys

Serious question -- does Kadyrov have that kind of threaten your family influence in Dagestan? What's the general political cohesion with Chechnya?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Brut posted:

The threats aren't really political in nature, keep in mind that all these republics are just part of Russia, there's complete freedom to travel, Makhachkala is 3 hours away from Grozny...think of it like someone going from NYC to Baltimore.

My question was toward why Khabib might choose to hang out or avoid Kadyrov. If the three hours' proximity somehow obligates him to pay tribute in any sense.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

He is the dork that he’s always come across as, but the treatment by ESPN on Dana’s behalf is definitely lovely, and he has the right to be upset by it even if he claims he isn’t.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Reminder that Sijara Eubanks has been involved in this domestic violence incident that's not got much press on it:
https://www.lowkickmma.com/sijara-eubanks-accused-of-domestic-violence-on-ex-girlfriend/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Goddamn, I wish I could drop an Irish accent that noice.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

Miles goes to the doctor for a reading of his MRI, and the doc asks if he wants a coach in the room with him (Uhhh, seems weird 2 me) and Miles declines that option. Miles has a grade 2 strain of the MCL, then says he's torn the MCL, but the other ligaments are fine. The doctor says a hit to the knee or a submission could make the injury worse.

Dana gathers both teams in the gym and puts Miles on the spot to detail his own injury to everyone. Miles is now kicked out of the house.

Now Dana lies and says Miles had a MCL sprain, and then gives a talking head speech about how only the toughest stick it out in this sport and if you aren't tough enough, they'll find someone else.

I'm assuming Miles called it a tear in front of the teams? Did the doctor talk directly about whether it was a tear or strain? I could see Miles not really drawing a distinction between the two.

Further, is there any hint that Dana talked to Miles 'backstage' or to the doctor directly, provided Miles gave consent etc?
Not trying to give Dana any benefit of the doubt, just want to understand the sequence by which he went with calling it a sprain.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ah, so the doctor didn’t strictly rule out competition, only highlighted the big risk, but Dana took that as an absolute approval?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Got those movement coaching ads again. No affiliation with Ido Portal, but seems like the same philosophy and apparently the same market:

One of their models even has a man bun

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

You missed the touch butt in the park era
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdQDMGNSKQs

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Thought he more than held his own until he lost gas and was getting edged out in every exchange. I don’t see him catching Yan early, so hopefully he’s worked on staying strong for 5.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

Only Hector Lombard could write a callout post about someone messing with his girlfriend where he has to bring up and summarily dismiss that he was already cheating on her as a background detail.

I think he was painting Woodley as wanting to horn in on his sidepiece, not Lombard's gf.
Woodley doesn't look great, but obviously neither does Hector.
Also free shot at Ricardo Libório for trying to keep it all swept under the rug.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Scapegoat posted:

I'm wondering if Khabib will straight up murder him if he runs into him.

In his superlong interview with ESPN, Khabib said, "people ask me if I'm gonna fight Conor on sight, and it depends. Not everything he says affects me."

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Brut posted:

If you're kneeling in front of your opponent and their limbs are free enough that they can choose to punch or kick you in the head, and just one of those happens to be against the rules, you're losing the fight pretty bad.

Like, what's the plan here?

Step really deep with the right foot and go for a double, or if you have the flexibility, reap his legs with the right calf. Put your head up right into his waist/stomach as you go, assume you won't get kneed and watch out for the guillotine. None of this offense has to fully succeed, it just needs to do enough to keep you from getting punched.

You could also just fall back into a butt scoot.

In motion, I think you have plenty of options. It'll take another fraction of a second for Yan to sprawl or snapdown and stop Aljo from moving.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

double negative posted:

no one saw this one coming

I don't know much about Weidman's habits outside the ring. He's always come off pretty disciplined with training.
Is this implying he messed up his PT/recovery somehow?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I hope Amanda at least got vaccinated this time around, given last July:

quote:

Nunes said on Thursday during a virtual UFC 250 media day that she had all the Covid-19 symptoms when she returned from Las Vegas but cannot confirm it as she wasn’t tested.

“I was in a convention in Vegas, with people from all over the world, right when the Covid-19 thing started,” Nunes said.

“I left the convention here in Vegas and went home. I started to get real sick when I got home. I’ve never felt that in my life; I was in bed for two or three days.”

Nunes also revealed that she feels that her fiancée Nina Ansaroff caught the virus as she also showed symptoms of the disease. Ansaroff is pregnant and they are expecting a baby boy in September.

“And when I started to get better, Nina started to get sick too,” Nunes said.

“I recovered at home, I was in total quarantine, and Nina went to the emergency [room] real fast because of the baby.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mewse posted:

How's vaccine availability in Brazil?

Doesn’t she live in FL?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Do you think Bigfoot’s witch doctors are trying to keep Bolsonaro alive or kill him?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

100% disgraceful

Need a multiplier on your purse cut based on how much you go over. 14% over contracted weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

really committing to her legacy as the canonically correct trivia answer to "who was the worst UFC champion"

Oh, it was at 135? I guess that's not as bad.