Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

even if this was true, hasn't nick been like partying his rear end off and getting drunks for years? this is gonna be like chuck/tito 3 if it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
also price vs. pereira is a must-watch fight. it's going to be really stupid in some way or another.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Southpaugh posted:

yeah but nick has habitually stayed in shape too I don't think he would look cooked coming out and like, its nick. hes always ready to go.

man i hope so, i love rematches that happen an insanely long time after the first fight and i want it to be competitive (but i want robbie to win)

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Ty1990 posted:

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I love when Conor fights and I’ll miss him when he’s gone. I watch every pay per view card with a handful of my close friends but it’s refreshing a few times a year to pack way too many people into the house and watch with the casual crowd who usually don’t care about MMA.

That being said I’m rooting for Dustin and I’m sure when Conor/Paul happens next May it’ll be the biggest and dumbest event since Conor/Floyd.

nah conor has always had really good exciting fights, win or lose. watch no more than like two minutes of him talking before the fight and you're good.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Eat This Glob posted:

"The last thing I want to do, win or lose, is take more robbie lawler punches," said diaz back in the strike force days, so I dunno. 2010 or so?. "they're not good. for your head."

one of my favorite mma quotes of all time. the first diaz/lawler fight might have been about the time a good chunk of psp stopped calling diaz punches "homophobic pejorative" punches. it was thought by a good chunk of posters here that diaz punches were so soft they'd fill up your mortal kombat health meter

that mario sperry video came up on someone's twitter the other day and it's still insanely funny even if it's not aged particularly well lol

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
it's really nice to live in a world where poirier is unequivocally a much better fighter than conor.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
lol @ makhachev calling out rda. those dagestani AKA boys are good at picking match ups.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

reeg posted:

It's a smart callout for Makhachev but I also think it might be the right one. Beating 2021 Tony would mean nothing, and I just flat out don't want to watch him stifle Gaethje or Chandler. RDA still has a bit of credibility left, he's big at 155 and his wrestling has improved significantly throughout his UFC career. It's not a bad matchup!

rda is very good but he's old and loses to physically dominant wrestlers who can push him backwards or into the fence (kevin lee please fix your cardio)

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
oh yeah in the promotional/hype sense it's a good fight i guess but it seems too lopsided and predictable for me to care, i'd much rather they just chuck him into the deep end of the pool and see if he can swim. he's clearly very good. it's just a question of how very good.

i understand that the ufc doesn't work this way anymore though, having as few losses as possible seems to be getting more and more important.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

reeg posted:

Sometimes I have wistful memories of the more competition-focused UFC where matchmaking was about putting the best against the best to find the one true champion

BUT

I ultimately think it's good and labor-friendly that the belt has become demystified. Fighters pick fights like they are a brand in the name of making more money. On a sporting level that's lame but in a notoriously anti-athlete sport I think its good that they've claimed that agency

yeah i mean i don't blame anyone for taking easy* fights, tbh i'm also just a salty rda fan who wants to see him fight someone who's not an insanely strong wrestler lol

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i would only like to add to that breakdown post that tj wasn't ko'd by cejudo, he was ko'd by cejudo's enormous head. and i will be well and truly upset if sandhagen loses because i think he's got a good chance against yan, and tj doesn't.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
that idiot spin kick > get taken down combo from sandhagen was straight out of weidman/rockhold

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
iirc i thought he was doing all right in first two rounds with his boxing, but he was gradually panicking and losing control of the fight, and he failed on like a hundred takedowns, so the enduring image everyone has is of yan crushing him.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i think it turned into a wikipedia thing because they kept grappling and strickland backfisted him in the face and then posted the video of it on ig and it became a whole thing about safety in sparring and is it right to do those kind of legal but dick move attacks (yes, but not without warning against someone going into a fight).

imo more people should do that jon jones/aoki standing elbow crank, it's a badass move.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i mean that kind of situation has happened so many times under the unified rules. fights just seem to stop completely dead there since neither guy can do something without getting kneed or dq'd. that didn't stop yan though lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
lewis/gane is a good meme fight and aldo/munhoz, chiesa/luque, yadong/kenney and green/fiziev are all secretly really good fights imo.