Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

I think if Conor loses without at least getting Poirier in some trouble, he will never fight a "traditional" opponent in the UFC again. That could mean a lot of things. It might mean he just does irrelevant superfights inside the UFC forever--Nick Diaz, GSP, Masvidal. It might mean that UFC brings in Paulie Malignaggi or some poo poo to lose to Conor in an MMA fight. It might even be mutually beneficial to let Conor go box someone with a name he could conceivably beat so he could return to the UFC with a renewed star power. Lots of options, but the UFC title shots would have to stop if he gets whomped by Poirier.

Of course, I think there's a greater than zero chance he beats Poirier and this is all moot. Poirier has been so much more consistently good than Conor for the last half-decade that I think we're discrediting Conor's ability to put pretty much anybody out on a good day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Brut posted:

Who? Are you in the right thread? :psyduck:

Dana White's Ghost

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Flaskraven posted:

I like the matchup but that's such a step down for Barboza and up for Chikadze.

It certainly feels that way but Giga is already 6-0 in the UFC. He deserves the step up, and honestly the only way Edson will ever sniff a title shot is if he only faces strikers for a while so it makes sense for him too

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

LobsterMobster posted:

Leech vs Khamzat rumored for the end of October

could be neat, if it happens

Thought you meant Damon Jackson for a second and was ???

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Conor did it. He found the only way to convincingly lose yet another fight without loving up his drawing power

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

CommonShore posted:

Lightweight Jeremy Stephens vs Mateusz Gamrot
Stephens is the most overrated KO artist in the game, because they call him that but he has like 6 finishes in 30 UFC fights. Last time out he didn’t even get out because he assaulted and injured his opponent at the weigh in. OH WELL. He’s on like a 5 fight winless streak. I really don’t hate him that much, but they should just permanently move him to #16 in the rankings and change his nickname to “The Gatekeeper.” Gamrot is a polish prospect who is 1-1 in the UFC. He TKOed Scott Holtzman in his last fight. Oh, he went 7 minutes against Garry Tonon at ADCC so he’s probably going to choke Stephens out unless he does something stupid and gets punched. Acually, Stephens is a competent counter wrestler. It’s almost as if this fight represents some kind of test and barrier to Gamrot’s future advancement in the division :thunk:

Stephens' KOs are pretty memorable. His finishes of Josh Emmett, RDA, Dennis Bermudez, and Rony Jason are all super nasty. He also has, by a significant margin, the most losses in UFC history so if he doesn't knock out Gamrot maybe he can pad his all-time record

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Ringo Roadagain posted:

is conor the biggest draw in all of combat sports history to have never defended a title?

I mean, Floyd/Conor had double the buys of Floyd/Canelo. I don't see any other options

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Foul Fowl posted:

lol @ makhachev calling out rda. those dagestani AKA boys are good at picking match ups.

It's a smart callout for Makhachev but I also think it might be the right one. Beating 2021 Tony would mean nothing, and I just flat out don't want to watch him stifle Gaethje or Chandler. RDA still has a bit of credibility left, he's big at 155 and his wrestling has improved significantly throughout his UFC career. It's not a bad matchup!

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Foul Fowl posted:

rda is very good but he's old and loses to physically dominant wrestlers who can push him backwards or into the fence (kevin lee please fix your cardio)

Oh for sure. I think RDA loses that matchup like 9 out of 10 times. I just think that the fight makes sense because it will propel Islam to a place where fans want to see him fight a Gaethje or Chandler or Dariush. I think main eventing against a talented but nameless Thiago Moises has done Makhachev no favors in terms of building a fanbase. If he fought and ground someone top tier now fans would just think it was boring and boo him. Khabib didn't fight the top of the pile until he absolutely had to (granted, this was partially because of his injuries) and it really benefitted him in terms of making him a star who people wanted to watch sambo the poo poo out of strikers

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Foul Fowl posted:

oh yeah in the promotional/hype sense it's a good fight i guess but it seems too lopsided and predictable for me to care, i'd much rather they just chuck him into the deep end of the pool and see if he can swim. he's clearly very good. it's just a question of how very good.

i understand that the ufc doesn't work this way anymore though, having as few losses as possible seems to be getting more and more important.

Sometimes I have wistful memories of the more competition-focused UFC where matchmaking was about putting the best against the best to find the one true champion

BUT

I ultimately think it's good and labor-friendly that the belt has become demystified. Fighters pick fights like they are a brand in the name of making more money. On a sporting level that's lame but in a notoriously anti-athlete sport I think its good that they've claimed that agency

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

it is bizarre like how do you inflate your head

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

G-Hawk posted:

Volk has come off as kind of lacking personality but basically a fine coach. He's maybe too normal to be super entertaining in this format

Ortega has come off like a douchebag

Yeah, I was rooting for team Ortega the first couple episodes (possibly just because I think Max won the Volk rematch) but he's come off as genuinely lovely beyond the made-for-TV drama moments. Both him and Dana attacking Miles' warrior spirit for not fighting on a torn MCL felt extremely 2005 to me

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

nordichammer posted:

Hector Lombard is a turd, and the night that Magny beat him was a night of underrated poetic justice.

I can never watch that fight again. It effectively broke Lombard forever, and I'm a little surprised it didn't also break Magny forever

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Yan was definitely winning that fight but I don't recall it being a huge mismatch. Aljo had a lot of nervous energy and utilized too much movement and power in round one and ended up gassing and falling behind. Then he took a knee to the same brain Marlon Moraes scrambled up pretty good

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

It would have been hard for Aljo to come back on the cards since he was fading but I think people unfairly suggest he was lost in that fight

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

I'm hype for Gaethje/Chandler and it had to happen but it's also like the worst possible matchup for Chandler. Gaethje is susceptible to an accumulation of strikes from volume punchers and his strengths are his chin, power, and ability to take out a wrestler's base with excellent leg kicks. Chandler wings big punches to get people out of there and falls back on his wrestling. He'll have to really crack him early like Michael Johnson did if he wants to win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Two fighters without wiki pages, each 0-1 in the UFC, is tonight's CO-MAIN EVENT OF THE EVENING