Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

As long as we're posting favorites, I've always considered OSTER Project to be one of the best producers out there and this song really hits considering what's known about her personal life:
(watch with English CC if you can)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AKhSsixkR4

It's a song about Miku confessing her love for Rin (OSTER Project is allegedly a married lesbian woman in Japan).
I dunno, seems pretty cool and progressive, plus she really gets that emotion out of Miku in the final bits of the song.

EDIT: Oh wow, I didn't realize this song I've heard a lot before had similar themes, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8nF8X2kO5k

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BTW, I dunno if anyone else is playing Colorful Stage on mobile, but I recommend it.
It's a pretty great free rhythm game and they give you a ton of stuff for free (in fact, the in-app prices are so exorbitantly expensive that I can't ever imagine buying anything anyway).
What's also cool is the gimmick of the anime characters in-game singing these vocaloid cover songs alongside the vocaloids themselves.

Some of my fave MVs from the game so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwRS5MNAgYI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1NmnBCL30M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eY8w_zl2HE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp4AorN5-IM

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Roflfox posted:

I'm really liking it so far, it plays a lot like Chunithm, which is a very cool and fun arcade game you should absolutely try if you ever see one out in the wild. I've gotta find a better way to hold my phone or hit the notes though, I struggle really bad with anything over 22~ or so difficulty. Oh and they released "Miku" by Anamanaguchi as a gift song today, which is super neat of them.

On a side note, according to his Twitter, Giga is dropping a new song for Christmas tomorrow!!
I play with my thumbs and just resigned myself to never going above Hard. That’s usually where I end up in most rhythm games anyhow, like slightly above normal difficulty but never the 500-star uber-expert level stuff. I use these games to relax anyhow, so I prefer not to panic while playing.

The haptic vibration on every note is very satisfying, I’ve gotta say.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Endorph posted:

the writing is also surprisingly good, nightcord especially. it gets the vibe of vocaloid stuff on an emotional appeal to Troubled Teens too
I'm also spending so much time on this game to check every new conversation that pops up back in the world after you finish a song (since it upgrades the characters' rank and gets you some free stuff). I think it stops rewarding you after viewing 50 conversations per character.
Nightcord is probably the best story of the bunch, agreed. However, I realize the depressed character who's emotionally numb will never have a truly resolved storyline since you'll always have to have the world conversations make sense no matter where you are in the plot. All of the characters are kinda locked into a single archetype permanently. Kind of a sad realization, lol.

I like the conversations between the pink haired and blond amusement park performer characters the most because she's just so wacky and annoying to him.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 25, 2021

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Endorph posted:

No, I've played the JP version, there's a lot of character development. More cross group interactions, characters learning more about each other. They introduce new area convos after events and every month or two. Some of the older event convos don't really make sense with the newer stuff, but the game already has that problem: In the Nightcord story, the characters have never met in real life at the start, but in the area convos, they all already hang out and talk in real life and know each other's real names. So it's no big deal for area convos to sometimes contradict future character development if that problem already exists, longterm invested players are the most likely to notice that issue, and they're unlikely to not have seen most of the original area convos.

Heck, the eng version already has major character development. Mafuyu goes from playing nice with the other Nightcord members to being blunt and rude to them because she was told to be honest. There are area convos that show her acting both ways with them already in the game. She's having character development already, and there's more for her in the JP version already. So probably more in the future. I doubt her deal will ever be completely resolved, but then, is anyone's deal ever completely resolved? It more just changes shape or you get better at dealing with it.
Ohhhh, cool. Yeah, after the marionette event storyline I just watched, it seemed like it'd be a shame if Mafuyu doesn't advance a little bit. Nice to know.

EDIT: BTW, is it just because everyone just started that our scores never go above B? Are the scores really tied to you having leveled up 4* characters? Seems like a silly carrot to have the players chase after, but I guess they had to have some kind of goal equivalent in a gacha game. I'm also almost exclusively playing co-op because it says that the drops are better. Is that right to do?

EDIT 2: From looking around the ProjectSekai reddit, it seems like people say upgraded 3* characters are more cost-effective most of the time. Good to know so I don't blow all my resources.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 25, 2021

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Endorph posted:

Mostly B-ranks are just because co-op rooms are gonna be populated by the lower level players who barely have anyone leveled, which lowers the overall score. I got into the pro rooms with a team with 2 4*s on it and it was constant S Ranks.
Good to know. Of course, the way I’m playing is customizing a (lower-scoring) event bonus team to squeeze the maximum event rewards out of each play, so my uber-rank team is on the sidelines until the “in-between events” days.

Why is this drat game so addictive, lol.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BTW, this is just an question I had when seeing an ad for a game featuring Hatsune Miku & pals: Are they really called "Piapro characters" now instead of Vocaloids? Because that kinda sucks. Is this all because of the companies behind the software going their separate ways?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

The Project Sekai translation has them as "Virtual Singers" which makes sense imo
Yeah, "Virtual Singers" isn't so bad, it's just generic compared to Vocaloid. This is like still preferring to call something by a brand name, like Xerox for any photocopying or Kleenex for tissues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Saoshyant posted:

On gaming news, it's been surprising to me how much I got into Colorful Stage AKA Project Sekai, which is not just Project Diva for mobile but its own thing. At first I was like, "who cares about any of those characters, I'm here just for the music", but months later I keep playing nearly every day to also check the story beats. I really love those characters as it turns out!

And there's also quite a few good songs here that are originally written for this game. I believe it's getting rather big in Japan to the point some hobby stores now have a section to sell its specific merchandise, including the compilation albums.

I assume anyone reading this probably tried the game already, but if you haven't give it a go, you'll probably like it. And you don't need to pay for anything whatsoever, which is a drat fine F2P model.
Colorful Stage is so great. It's insane that for a free-to-play music game, you pretty much get all the music for free. If you do the daily logins and play regularly, you'll get enough crystals to pull on a ton of banners to get characters, too. I have so many characters and they don't even matter, which is the crazy part! You get a whole huge visual novel section of the game, too, which I kinda can't be bothered going through because it's so drat long.