Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i need to paint a concrete patio. it is already painted, but the paint is in bad shape, and i have no reason to believe it is the correct paint or applied correctly. i know you're supposed to use special paint for concrete. how do i prep this surface? there are decades of existing paint layers and i doubt i will ever get them all off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Final Blog Entry posted:

With multiple existing coats that are in bad shape, the best bet by far would be to have someone grind it down to bare concrete. Around here that runs around $1-2/sqft. Or you may be able to rent a grinder and do it yourself. If that's not in the cards then pressure wash the poo poo out of it to get any loose and peeling paint off. Scrape any remaining questionable areas to make sure the remaining paint is as sound as possible. Compatibility comes in to play with different floor coatings, and not knowing what's down there now I'd prime it, I've heard good things about this Rustoleum primer. Then go to your hardware or paint store of choice and get their best water-based enamel for concrete floors. Don't go epoxy on a patio, they aren't UV stable and will chalk and fade quickly with direct sun.

Leperflesh posted:

You can rent a sandblaster and media blast the paint off maybe. Also consider chemical strippers, I'd go with one of the citrus-based ones on the premise that even if I was really careful with disposal of stripped paint I'd still be potentially creating toxic runoff with a more toxic paint stripper.

hey thanks for the advice guys. after reading your posts, i tried chemicals but it's way too much work and creates lots of muck. also looked into concrete grinding but i don't have a proper dust control setup to do it myself, and the contractors here are expensive. however, i found a company that does dustless blasting, they're coming out to look at it today, the guy suggests glass media. his price is reasonable so hopefully i've found a solution to get the surface back to bare concrete! that rustoleum primer is really hard to find too, must mean it's the good stuff :)