Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
こんにちは

Currently we don’t have the same name, but hear me out: it would make life easier. we wouldn’t have to remember anybody else’s name because their name would be our name. there would be no more miscommunications like calling out someone else’s name in bed because we’d all be calling out our own name in bed. it’s clear this would make life much easier. I think we can all agree on this so here is the thread to decide what that name should be

We should all speak the same language. I can’t explain how many times I’ve had to watch foreign films with subtitles. this would not be a problem if foreign films were in my language. Esperanto doesn’t cut it because I don’t speak esperanto. this is also the thread to decide what language we should all speak

안녕

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Nothing with circles in it. Circles are hard to draw. Maybe cuneiform?

My vote is that we should be called Salvatore, we should speak Italian and write in cuneiform.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lardroom.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
We should all vote the same number.
It's 1.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Xaintrailles posted:

We should all vote the same number.
It's 1.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

There's a space 4x game where one of the factions is an entire society of just some dude named Steve or something.
Just billions of space fairing Steve's looking to branch out into the universe to make even more Steves.
It's pretty funny.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Big Beef City posted:

There's a space 4x game where one of the factions is an entire society of just some dude named Steve or something.
Just billions of space fairing Steve's looking to branch out into the universe to make even more Steves.
It's pretty funny.

sounds like it

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I only have two names for everyone. Top, and who cares.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Only if I'm not named Josh because that's a lame rear end name

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

im on board if the language is Tagalog

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Sid Vicious posted:

I prefer the peanut butter patties.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Sid Vicious posted:

Look at this bad boy pinoy

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

counterpoint: Twinkiehouse.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

counter counter point, im skeleton jelly

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I'm Spinz Threadkiller

(That's my American Indian name)

Circumcised Elon
Jun 20, 2021

by Shine
Name: Nugget
Language : Dutch

If the language is Dutch we will all learn to speak telepathically faster because its a horrible language.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

just dont talk to anyone anymore
no need of names or language

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I propose we all go by "Beverly"

We should make a proper, superior language instead of using a naturally-grown one. The first step to being The Culture is to create Marain.

I speak English and it's a good language, but it's kind of like my childhood. It's pretty decent compared to some alternatives but pretty lovely when compared with what I could have had with some basic problems addressed. I think all languages can have something to add but all of our languages just kind of "happened" and they major ones are only important because the people who spoke them managed to win enough wars. That's not a good metric for a language.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
מסכים לגמרה. באמת הגיע הזמן שכולנו נעבור לדבר בשפת הקודש. השם של כולנו הוא יהוה, משום שמקורו של כל אחד ואחת מאיתנו שהולכים בכל רחבי הבריאה הוא צלמו של אלוהים.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All men should be named Fart and all women Puss. Then you use a decimal point as an identifier. Like “oh hey PUSS.48485829292, did you see FART.292920 play the sports game last night? He made FART.92020027777 look like PUSS.39599 lol” :v:. But like the decimal is actually a hexidecimal barcode that displays on your forehead when you think about that person and it’s already biologically processed by the other person so you can just say fart and puss and the other person will know who you’re talking about.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
We should all jerk the same cock

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Big Beef City posted:

It's pretty funny.

Horatio, from Endless space? Yeah, he's neat. :)

We're kind of a western-centric group, so I vote for the most average mashup of western Europe - Dutch. I don't speak it, but it looks like something I could learn.
I like the idea of avoiding circles, but cuneiform is a really complicated system; it'd be better to stick with an alphabet. How about runes? Specifically, old anglo-frisian runes, to go with the Dutch.

So. I vote we all learn to write and speak Dutch, in runes, and we're all called Jan.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Computer viking posted:

Yeah that's the dude!
Couldn't think of it

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Computer viking posted:

I've officially retconned Star Wars to make "The Clone Wars" all about fighting Horatio. It's done. Everything else is now non-canon.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I suggest we speak ant. Gives us the biggest step towards integrating the other life forms.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Das Boo posted:

I suggest we speak ant. Gives us the biggest step towards integrating the other life forms.

As the ant among foreign-enemy ants is killed, so the ant without ants dies, but being without ants is as sweet as honeydew.

Eat the eggs! Up with the Queen!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
thats a sin op

The Torah posted:

The Tower of Babel

11 Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. 2 As people moved eastward,[a] they found a plain in Shinar[b] and settled there.

3 They said to each other, “Come, let’s make bricks and bake them thoroughly.” They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. 4 Then they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.”

5 But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower the people were building. 6 The Lord said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.”

8 So the Lord scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. 9 That is why it was called Babel[c]—because there the Lord confused the language of the whole world. From there the Lord scattered them over the face of the whole earth.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rutibex posted:

thats a sin op

This Lord fella sounds like a dick.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

ive been taking korean language classes so ill handle this. the secret message at the end of the post says “hello”

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Big Beef City posted:

Yeah that's the dude!
Couldn't think of it

They messed up by not making him a slut

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Rutibex posted:

thats a sin op

God was scared of humanities potential to surpass him and sabotaged our great project. I mean, who reads that story and thinks to themselves "oh yeah, I guess that means we don't wanna do that whole one language thing again, god would get mad."

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This Lord fella sounds like a dick.

Pitdragon posted:

God was scared of humanities potential to surpass him and sabotaged our great project. I mean, who reads that story and thinks to themselves "oh yeah, I guess that means we don't wanna do that whole one language thing again, god would get mad."
:ohdear:
looks like we have a couple future salt pillars here

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Step 1: Unify humanity with one common language
Step 2: Develop coherent naming conventions across cultures
Step 3: Attack and dethrone God

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Step 1: Unify humanity with one common language
Step 2: Develop coherent naming conventions across cultures
Step 3: Attack and dethrone God
Step 3: gently caress and suck God

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

hmmm. id rather continue to be hosed by god

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

God was born on a mountain, raised in a cave.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Rutibex posted:

:ohdear:
looks like we have a couple future salt pillars here

is being a salt pillar worse than eternal torment or is it a package deal

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Something simple. Easy to say. Like Gary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
We should all have a 2nd common language like Esperanto.