Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

The dumbest thing I own is a merlin enhanced vision electronic magnifier. It is supposed to be for old people to read the newspaper, but I use it to make miniature dollhouses, removing splinters, and trying to find my wiener.

Here it is zoomed in 14 on the tip of a pencil.

I agree with that other guy, this kinda owns.

I'd also like to hear about these miniature dollhouses because just from the picture there, they also seem to be fuckin great

Dr.Smasher posted:

I had one. I still miss it. I don't miss throwing money at a 30 year old muscle car with unique brake systems.

How unique?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Athanatos posted:

How unique?

Mr. Burns: "I'm sure the manual will say which is the accelerometer and which is the deceleratrix"

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Big Beef City posted:

Mr. Burns: "I'm sure the manual will say which is the accelerometer and which is the deceleratrix"

https://youtu.be/rWTcPdYfsAc

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

maybe this but I love it

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Bloopsy posted:

These ads were all over the place in Okinawa like 15 years ago and now it's proudly displayed in my kitchen.

oh my god I lived there on and off through the 2000s and I love you for this, absolutely not a dumb thing to own

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Knot My President! posted:

Tomorrow I have a reprodution of an IBM Model F keyboard arriving that I've waited five years for. It weighs around five or six pounds. This will be by far the dumbest thing I own

I have a 1987 Model M - it works well, is nice to type on, and I pull it out when I for some reason need a PS/2 keyboard. It's also about as noisy as a food processor full of pebbles.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I bought shares in a sports team that I love, so now any bad news surrounding them has emotional and financial ramifications.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Total Meatlove posted:

I bought shares in a sports team that I love, so now any bad news surrounding them has emotional and financial ramifications.

Hello Green Bay Packers fan.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Athanatos posted:

I'd also like to hear about these miniature dollhouses because just from the picture there, they also seem to be fuckin great

Nothing fancy I just get little kits from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TYZV3BJ

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Big Beef City posted:

Hello Green Bay Packers fan.

It is even more dumb than that

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Total Meatlove posted:

It is even more dumb than that

:ohdear:

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangers_F.C.

Has its own ownerships and finances section

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Looks incredibly like something from Lost in Translation, like the ads he came to Japan to do. Except that was Bill Murray right

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I don't know. But I do spend money on things that I really don't need. More t-shirts and shoes than I can even get around to wearing. Autographed sports memorabilia.

I've just got to stop spending money like it grows on trees.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'll always take the opportunity to post this. I used to work at a 3D printing store and helped a dude fix his 3D printer and install some software on his laptop. He came back the next day and gifted me 3 of his self published books, signed with lovely notes in them, a promise that I'd be dedicated to in his next book and a box of chocolate liquors.

The books are a play, an instructional manual on how to mathematically cut any polyhedral shape out of wood dowels of any diameter using only an angle grinder and a description of a computer game.

This one is out of the play, it describes how to cut the facets of the ruby that stars in it.

I will never get rid of these. They are prized possessions.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

I own a lot of dumb impractical poo poo for novelty or nostalgia's sake but these are probably the top of the pile as far as overall uselessness in the modern day, being a pain in the rear end to move and store, and not even being all that cool to people who don't know exactly what they are already.

A 1970s mainframe era printing terminal

And one of those big change machines like you might've seen back in arcades 30-40 years ago

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

super nailgun posted:

I own a lot of dumb impractical poo poo for novelty or nostalgia's sake but these are probably the top of the pile as far as overall uselessness in the modern day, being a pain in the rear end to move and store, and not even being all that cool to people who don't know exactly what they are already.

A 1970s mainframe era printing terminal

as someone who does know what this is, this is extremely cool and I am very jealous

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Megabound posted:

I'll always take the opportunity to post this. I used to work at a 3D printing store and helped a dude fix his 3D printer and install some software on his laptop. He came back the next day and gifted me 3 of his self published books, signed with lovely notes in them, a promise that I'd be dedicated to in his next book and a box of chocolate liquors.

I will never get rid of these. They are prized possessions.

These are incredible. Just the works of an undiscovered renaissance man.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

goon holotype

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Spinz posted:

A set of 49 high end Japanese watercolor brush pens that I paid 60 bucks for.

They are no different than the 72 I got for $9 and they will dry out before I use them and I had a month to return them for a refund.

That wasted 60 bucks is burning a hole in my brain :(
I'm serious :negative:

make ane sell some art with em

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Dumbest thing I own is this book by the RAND corporation

It delivers

Riveting stuff

08192 did it!

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I have an Ekeko figurine that I bought because I thought Gemusetto Machu Picchu was funny.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Megabound posted:

The books are a play, an instructional manual on how to mathematically cut any polyhedral shape out of wood dowels of any diameter using only an angle grinder and a description of a computer game.

I have trouble pairing your descriptions with the book titles.

The book about a computer game would be fantastic material for a game jam.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Vim Fuego posted:

Dumbest thing I own is this book by the RAND corporation

It delivers

Riveting stuff

08192 did it!

58008 or GTFO

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
My parents brought this t-shirt back from St. Petersburg roughly 20 years ago. I made the mistake of wearing it to a nightclub once. As soon as I took my jacket off I was swarmed by three sasquatch sized bouncers -the sort that make me look small - telling me to put it back on.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Code Jockey posted:

as someone who does know what this is, this is extremely cool and I am very jealous

the people who do appreciate it really appreciate it :P I pulled two of them out of the attic of the parts department at a closed car dealership (second is with another local collector now). was really sad there wasn't anything else related to them left, but still such a neat thing to find in the wild.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

A circa 1994 Brother Wp-1700 MDS

Which retailed for about $350-400 back then, or about $1000 cheaper than a laptop. For those not familiar, imagine a heavy and clunky laptop that can only run Word and has a built in printer, kind of the netbook of its day.

It features:

3.5" 1.44 Floppy disk drive for MS-DOS file compatibility with PC's (software not included)
14 lines by 80 character LCD display; built-in handle for easy carrying
Word-spell, 95k word corrector dictionary; 45K Thesaurus
198 business letter formats
and more!

It's actually a decent focused writing tool with a pretty comfortable keyboard, since I don't like writing longhand, but the main problem is that everything runs through a 3 1/2" floppy drive whose main format (.WPT) comes out pretty wonky on modern word processing software. You can convert to pure ASCII txt, but then you have to redo all the text formatting. Supposedly, there were disks you could get so you could play Tetris and Othello on it, but I've not been able to locate copies of those programs.

I've long debated whether or not it would be easier to buy a floppy to flash drive conversion kit, or just grab a USB floppy drive for my laptop, but so far haven't done either. Perhaps even more stupidly, it's proven "easier" to just print out the text and scan it with OCR, because :shrug:

I could just use one of my other 20+ typewriters, but this thing is just dumb and fun to use, like stepping into a parallel world where generalized computing never took off, and everything was a hyper-specialized, single purpose device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Toph Bei Fong posted:

A circa 1994 Brother Wp-1700 MDS

Hello, old friend.

I used one of these until it died, long after I had plenty of computers to gently caress with. I would probably use a word processor again if I could get one that was new old stock.