Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm also very fond of these games, especially the third game despite popular opinion. Surprised that they have not been remade and wish that they would be. I still think that the art style holds up very well today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Thank you for the LP.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Thank you for LP'ing this!

Too bad the 3rd game didn't have frost giants or dragons but it had all-attack which made up for it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

sb hermit posted:

Thank you for LP'ing this!

Too bad the 3rd game didn't have frost giants or dragons but it had all-attack which made up for it.

I actually didn't use All-Attack much because I had fun trying to click the weapon tabs as soon as the cooldowns ended. What I liked was allowing pole weapons from the back rows, which made the click-a-stick more chaotic.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Congrats, and thanks for the LP!

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I'm going to do a final proofread and make some (mostly minor) edits to older updates. The somewhat major thing will be adding more info on the Sega CD version to the first game's bonus update.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Hannibal Rex posted:

Congrats!

Is he really only ever called the "Dark God"? No further lore about who or what he's supposed to be, exactly?

He's nowhere near as memorable as Dran, that's for sure.

Considering how crowded is the the "EVIL" section of the Forgotten Realms pantheon, this is absolutely underwhelming. Alfred Hitchcock said "The more succesful the villain, the more successful the picture", and it remains truthful in other fiction sections, like videogames. In the first game we have Xanathar, which as a beholder is one of more iconic monsters in D&D; in the second Dran appears several times making it personal, and in the end it is revealed to be a dragon. Going for the divine was absolutely the only way of topping THAT, but this insipid "Dark God" was a total disappointment.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Guy Fawkes posted:

Considering how crowded is the the "EVIL" section of the Forgotten Realms pantheon, this is absolutely underwhelming. Alfred Hitchcock said "The more succesful the villain, the more successful the picture", and it remains truthful in other fiction sections, like videogames. In the first game we have Xanathar, which as a beholder is one of more iconic monsters in D&D; in the second Dran appears several times making it personal, and in the end it is revealed to be a dragon. Going for the divine was absolutely the only way of topping THAT, but this insipid "Dark God" was a total disappointment.

I don't disagree with you, but to be fair an actual god would have been utterly beyond the means of this party even if our intrepid OP had grinded (grounded?) all the way to the levels necessary to cast 9th-level spells.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't disagree with you, but to be fair an actual god would have been utterly beyond the means of this party even if our intrepid OP had grinded (grounded?) all the way to the levels necessary to cast 9th-level spells.

Eh, you could battle an avatar rather than the God directly, or have it be an indirect puzzle battle like the first game:

The game already has you undefile the temple to give lathander more power, you could make the final battle fending off the dark god long enough to put the finishing touches on the temple and let a fully restored lathander punt the invader from his turf.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It is a bit weird that the final boss is such a non-entity. Like they probably could have just made him an arch-lich or something and then at least they could have given him a proper name. It does seem like they were basically going for facing off against the avatar of an evil diety but yeah it is odd that they didn't actually pick a specific one. I'd almost guess it was some sort of weird rights issue except that Lathander is very explicitly named so that wouldn't make any sense.

Maybe it just boils down to the fact that it was made by entirely different people, and they just happened to think a vague enigmatic name like The Dark God is more interesting. A lot of the rest of the writing in EotB3 is very different compared to the first two games, with the light dialogue trees and such.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

JustJeff88 posted:

A lot of classic D&D adventures are about stopping an evil deity form mainfesting on the Material Plane or interrupting its awakening. Usually the endavour requires a powerful artifact, some "Chosen One" or finding the cmpion of the enemy and removing the same before the ritual is completed.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It is a bit weird that the final boss is such a non-entity. Like they probably could have just made him an arch-lich or something and then at least they could have given him a proper name. It does seem like they were basically going for facing off against the avatar of an evil diety but yeah it is odd that they didn't actually pick a specific one. I'd almost guess it was some sort of weird rights issue except that Lathander is very explicitly named so that wouldn't make any sense.

Maybe it just boils down to the fact that it was made by entirely different people, and they just happened to think a vague enigmatic name like The Dark God is more interesting. A lot of the rest of the writing in EotB3 is very different compared to the first two games, with the light dialogue trees and such.

Sadly the fracture between Westwood Studios and TSR caused the dissipation of a lot of videoludic potential: EoB series died with the third game, and the same happened with Lands of Lore.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Guy Fawkes posted:

A lot of classic D&D adventures are about stopping an evil deity form mainfesting on the Material Plane or interrupting its awakening. Usually the endavour requires a powerful artifact, some "Chosen One" or finding the cmpion of the enemy and removing the same before the ritual is completed.

As another example, Temple of Elemental Evil has a similar premise.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

sb hermit posted:

As another example, Temple of Elemental Evil has a similar premise.

Well, the funny thing about that is it's a combination trick of Iuz and, also, there is already a demon lord at the bottom! So it's not really 'preventing' anything so much as fixing something that's already been done. Ideally, you'd leave Zuggtmoy trapped, or if you have the potency, banish and then destroy it and then utterly destroy the temple. Since it's just a ploy by Iuz to cause chaos to the south and, presumably, let him invade from the north, it's not really that dangerous in the grand scheme compared to a genuine god entering the world physically. Doubly so since, apparently, Robilar was able to solo the place.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Chronische posted:

Well, the funny thing about that is it's a combination trick of Iuz and, also, there is already a demon lord at the bottom! So it's not really 'preventing' anything so much as fixing something that's already been done. Ideally, you'd leave Zuggtmoy trapped, or if you have the potency, banish and then destroy it and then utterly destroy the temple. Since it's just a ploy by Iuz to cause chaos to the south and, presumably, let him invade from the north, it's not really that dangerous in the grand scheme compared to a genuine god entering the world physically. Doubly so since, apparently, Robilar was able to solo the place.

Ah. I thought Zuggtmoy was a goddess but apparently she's just a demon queen.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I thought about it, and I would like to see these games given the Bard's Tale treatment. Re-release them together in modern package and smooth some of the rough edges, though these games are admittedly not as obnoxiously difficult as the original BT trilogy.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I thought about it, and I would like to see these games given the Bard's Tale treatment. Re-release them together in modern package and smooth some of the rough edges, though these games are admittedly not as obnoxiously difficult as the original BT trilogy.

Don't forget to add some musical numbers, too!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Chronische posted:

Don't forget to add some musical numbers, too!

I blame you for the image of a dancing beholder that is now stuck in my head.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

sb hermit posted:

Ah. I thought Zuggtmoy was a goddess but apparently she's just a demon queen.

In the old times of Ad&D (i.e. 2nd edition), the difference was razor thin.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I made the finishing touches, including the additions to the bonus update:

Alpha3KV posted:

Bonus Update: Extras of the Beholder

Before moving on to the second game, I'll be showing a few more things from the first. I played through the Sega CD version to record videos, so I'll detail a few of its other unique features.

One of the first things is a different portrait selection. Many of them are very anime, and show up in other Capcom-developed versions of the game. This version supports multiple save files and has background music. It also has a default party, with characters creatively named Fighter, Thief, Mage, and Cleric.

This is also the only version with in-game maps. These aren't automaps, but items which look like scrolls on the ground. Trying to pick them up immediately puts them into a special map slot, where they don't take up space and can be accessed from any character's inventory screen. Green squares indicate doors, and blue ones represent movable or illusory walls. Squares that are red or yellow (which can be hard to see on this background) indicate stairs/ladders, but have no consistency about which direction they go. The white square, which flashes, is the party's current location. Any map can be seen from any level. If you look at a level you have no map for, the only feature (aside from the party marker if you're there) will be a flashing red square showing its location.

Maps are also one of the things tracked on the screen after the credits. "Quest" got changed into "search" by the translation into and back from Japanese. For some reason arrows are the other thing reported here. This playthrough set out to get all the voice lines. I obviously skipped a lot of other things but didn't really rush it. How quickly can this game be beaten? The current world record on the DOS version is just under six minutes. It takes teleporters to skip large portions of levels 2 and 3, dives into a pit as a shortcut to level 5, and from there uses stone portals to immediately get to level 9.

Now time to see about archiving it.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.

Chronische posted:

The fun thing is you can kill Iuz's Avatar in ToEE. His slide in the ending says that he reformed his avatar, but it took long enough that a lot of his plans were ruined and he's afraid of the party.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Bumping this thread for a couple things that might be of interest to those who followed it.

Just two days ago, the speedrun record of the first game was improved by over a minute from what it was at the time I finished the last update:
https://www.speedrun.com/eotb/run/yvr5ww8z

Also within the past week, the CRPG Addict started his playthrough of the third game:
https://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2022/07/game-461-eye-of-beholder-iii-assault-on.html

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I’ve been looking for a good screenshot game blog site other than LP Archive. CRPG Addict does nicely, thanks!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

achtungnight posted:

I’ve been looking for a good screenshot game blog site other than LP Archive. CRPG Addict does nicely, thanks!

I looked at his roster, and he must have the patience of a saint to play some of those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Now up on the LP Archive:
https://lparchive.org/Eye-of-the-Beholder-Trilogy/