Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Light Novel editing feels very hands off compared to Manga editing so it's not shocking that a lot of Isekai LN and anime feel very much like fanfic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a lot of LNs start off as web novels self-published on sites for that and then get published as LNs with minimal editing. It's an extremely good racket. You pay some random artist a bit to draw some good art, you give it a snappy clickbaity title, you put it on shelves, you give it an anime made by the lowest bidder to boost its profile. The authors will agree to it and not think too much about how much of the cut they're getting because they're basically having their dreams fulfilled.

KyoAni's ln competitions were basically similar, some LN author writes something and then signs over the rights in eternium and KyoAni just makes whatever they feel like vaguely based on the premise of it.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Idaten looks neat, but I'm really wary on it due to the fact that the author behind the manga also created Interspecies Reviewers

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

definitely a less exciting season so far

Remake having a pointless double premiere that just dragged, the sort of wish fulfillment straight harem stuff isn't my usual and this isn't really laying out interesting characters that make me want to commit. at the very least the pre-timehop stuff was good. then Dead Detective as the other awful use of a double premiere, but hey it seems fitting given the show just sucks. a weak regurgitation of popular LNs that have come before, the single outstanding action sequence cannot carry the whole show on its back, even accounting for the clean look of the OP and a couple decent gags/character designs.

no strong verdict on a lot of shows. Girlfriend Girlfriend and Peach Boy both had weak premieres but i'm willing to give them a couple eps to find feet. Realist Hero is in a similar boat, since it can easily fall into not being clever/interesting enough and it already looks like a bit of a mess (here's hoping no more Yugioh references). Uramichi is obviously a show that needs cast dynamics to flourish since the central joke is so #cringe rather than #relatable, so it gets episodes by that virtue...despite the premiere presenting all the gags in the same rote way and apparently undercutting several good gags that were present in the manga.

Kageki Shoujo and Vanitas are just simple cases of nice-looking and standard shows i'm glad to keep watching. Sarasa is definitely a bit Quirky but i enjoy her as a lead in Kageki, and Vanitas is basically Bones's gift while we wait for Bungo S4. granted i had no real expectations for Vanitas so it was almost shockingly good.

Re-MAIN is another case where lowered expectations (Spring was not great for sports) and no knowledge of the premise made for a shockingly good premiere. an amnesia plot is something i haven't seen applied to normal sports before, and it is handled about as realistically and in depth as you'd expect within the constraints of an intro episode. the comedy does well to cut the tone, though i do prefer the lower key gags like Minato gradually slacking more in his studying/PT montage or his nonplussed reaction to former teammates showing up to his hospital room for tearful hugs. his over-eager kouhai doesn't play as well, though him finding an easy ally in Jo Jimajo (what a name) is entertaining.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There's still good or entertaining stuff that comes out of it and manga also has a good number of random Twitter strips that get pushed to serialization these days, but yeah, the WN>LN process has often given me the feeling that pubs and editors are more about just pushing things to publication rather than really being an assistant and helper like you ideally hear about in manga.

Even outside of the isekai and webnovel scene I've heard plenty of stories about writers getting advice that amounted to "hey this is a cool oneshot, could you crowbar this into being franchiseable?"

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

dogsicle posted:

definitely a less exciting season so far

Remake having a pointless double premiere that just dragged, the sort of wish fulfillment straight harem stuff isn't my usual and this isn't really laying out interesting characters that make me want to commit. at the very least the pre-timehop stuff was good. then Dead Detective as the other awful use of a double premiere, but hey it seems fitting given the show just sucks. a weak regurgitation of popular LNs that have come before, the single outstanding action sequence cannot carry the whole show on its back, even accounting for the clean look of the OP and a couple decent gags/character designs.

no strong verdict on a lot of shows. Girlfriend Girlfriend and Peach Boy both had weak premieres but i'm willing to give them a couple eps to find feet. Realist Hero is in a similar boat, since it can easily fall into not being clever/interesting enough and it already looks like a bit of a mess (here's hoping no more Yugioh references). Uramichi is obviously a show that needs cast dynamics to flourish since the central joke is so #cringe rather than #relatable, so it gets episodes by that virtue...despite the premiere presenting all the gags in the same rote way and apparently undercutting several good gags that were present in the manga.

Kageki Shoujo and Vanitas are just simple cases of nice-looking and standard shows i'm glad to keep watching. Sarasa is definitely a bit Quirky but i enjoy her as a lead in Kageki, and Vanitas is basically Bones's gift while we wait for Bungo S4. granted i had no real expectations for Vanitas so it was almost shockingly good.

Re-MAIN is another case where lowered expectations (Spring was not great for sports) and no knowledge of the premise made for a shockingly good premiere. an amnesia plot is something i haven't seen applied to normal sports before, and it is handled about as realistically and in depth as you'd expect within the constraints of an intro episode. the comedy does well to cut the tone, though i do prefer the lower key gags like Minato gradually slacking more in his studying/PT montage or his nonplussed reaction to former teammates showing up to his hospital room for tearful hugs. his over-eager kouhai doesn't play as well, though him finding an easy ally in Jo Jimajo (what a name) is entertaining.

Vanitas is the only good start for me so far. Peach Boy was a drag to watch with a confusing start that took too long to get to a hook for the audience. Bakarina spent most of the first episode reintroducing the cast from the last season and made me worry it would just be more of her being dense and nothing more, a premise I fear will grow dull rather quickly.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i hate shows where everything is built on a misunderstanding and no one communicates like an adult, so the idea of that being baked into an isekai super power show sounds insanely miserable. i usually watch almost anything in that genre out of a weird boredom, hell i even watched death march which might actually be the most boring anime ever made, but idk about the bluffing powers guy show.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
This season is all continuations/conclusions for me: Higurashi, Magia Record, Dragon Maid, Eva 3.0+1.0.

Still need to finish Odd Taxi and Vivy.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

Anyway 70s/80s mecha was even cheaper and way more mercenary but at least you got insane poo poo like a kids show with a villain named Butcher the Killer who lived up to his name and GALACTIC GALE BAXINGER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a73e3LjFwUo

a lot of genero isekai is too like, selfconscious and genre aware to be that bonkers. Versus random hardcore 70s otaku getting stuck writing some toy commercial they didnt give a poo poo about.

The j9 shows ruled because most of the time they'd play out like a Lupin ep and then a giant robot shows up to kill someone

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sometimes they'd just to commit to giant robot mayhem and then kind of loving rule, lile the episode where the bad guys put an actual panther's brain in a giant panther robot, and of course it proceeds to start wrecking stuff and the episode ends with Bryger doing a kinnikubuster on it onto a geodesic dome city

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

dogsicle posted:

My recollection of the Realist Hero manga is that it was a very run of the mill "smart guy" power fantasy. Just solving all the issues with basic knowledge, stuff he knew from modern Japan that the fantasy people were too dumb to think of (or try, like seafood), sprinkled with a growing harem of powerful/important women since he's the king.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Paper Lion posted:

im gonna watch kanojo kanojo and hope that it ends up by the finale having a nice depiction of polyamory. not a ton of examples of that in anime, or even general culture across the globe. it will fail, but hey, why not live in hope.

I'm hoping the same but I'm reading the manga and they still refer to it as two-timing so I'm prepared to be disappointed by both the anime and manga.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Paper Lion posted:

i hate shows where everything is built on a misunderstanding and no one communicates like an adult, so the idea of that being baked into an isekai super power show sounds insanely miserable.

I generally agree with you, but the one exception for me is Gamers! which did this wonderfully.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Girlfriend girlfriend so far has been a very accurate depiction with the poor redhead getting bullied into it against her will

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Willo567 posted:

Idaten looks neat, but I'm really wary on it due to the fact that the author behind the manga also created Interspecies Reviewers

I recall Interspecies reviewers was decently well received despite how horny it was. And that the manga was less risqué. (I believe the stated reason for Funi dropping it, was cause they were caught off guard by how much more explicit it was then the source material.)

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Is there anything super good right now that I’m not seeing? The only thing I’ve watched is Kageki Shoujo which I really liked. I tried watching Girlfriend, Girlfriend but turned it off after like, 6-7 minutes. The main character was way, way too annoying and I wasn’t a fan of the aesthetics.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah they had to do significantly more edits to Interspecies Reviewers than they would have expected from the manga.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

its like completely 100% in the title come on.

wait no its not

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Sometimes they'd just to commit to giant robot mayhem and then kind of loving rule, lile the episode where the bad guys put an actual panther's brain in a giant panther robot, and of course it proceeds to start wrecking stuff and the episode ends with Bryger doing a kinnikubuster on it onto a geodesic dome city
Yea if generic isekai had more stuff like this itd be way better

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Julias posted:

Kaizoku Oujo (Fena: Pirate Princess)
Production I.G. | Kazuto Nakazawa | Asako Kuboyama | Adventure | Original | Summer 2021
Fena Houtman is a young orphan girl that has been raised on an Island where there is no hope of becoming anything more than chattel, to be used and discarded by soldiers of the British Empire. But Fena is more than just another powerless orphan. When her mysterious past comes knocking, Fena will break the chains of her oppressors. Her goal: forge a new identity, free of bondage, and search for a place where she can truly belong and find out the true mysteries behind a keyword "Eden." It is the story of a lifetime adventure she and her crew of misfits and unlikely allies will have, in pursuit of her goals!
PV

Isn’t the dub version of this airing on Toonami later this year?

Someone might wanna make a thread for the subbed. It’s supposed to be pretty good.

Julias posted:

Megami-ryou no Ryoubo-kun. (Mother of the Goddess' Dormitory )
Asread | Shunsuke Nakashige| Masashi Suzuki | Harem, Comedy, Romance, Ecchi, Shounen | Manga | Jul 14, 2021
Nagumi Koushi is a 12-year-old boy who was abandoned by his father after their house caught on fire, leaving him to roam the streets penniless. Then one day, a girl named Minerva who finds him lying on the sidewalk, takes him to a women's college dormitory, one known for housing troublesome residents, and asks him to be their "Dormitory Mother." Surrounded by older women, forced to deal with their idiosyncrasies, Koushi starts his new (somewhat ecchi) life!
PV

For what little it’s worth, I’ve read bits and pieces of the manga of this. It’s…… okay. The parts I read weren’t anything particularly special, but the anime might be worth a watch for anyone just looking to add something goofy and lighthearted to their list.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I. M. Gei posted:

Isn’t the dub version of this airing on Toonami later this year?

Someone might wanna make a thread for the subbed. It’s supposed to be pretty good.

It's airing dubbed on Toonami and subbed on Crunchy this summer, the Japanese broadcast is in October.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
Okay I just watched the first episode of realist hero. First we get a big exposition dump about how there's a bunch of monsters that want to blow up the world or whatever and the only thing holding them back is this empire, which relies on financial aid from all the countries to sustain this defense (from the world-up-blowing monsters). Then we get a specific scene of one of the empire people being all "Our troops have good morale but it's a good thing all these other countries are giving us financial aid so we can support them, otherwise we would no longer be able to stop the monsters from blowing up the world". Then the entire second half of the episode is all about the main character trying to weasel out of paying the financial aid as though the empire was demanding it through threat of force or something. And his long-term plan is to build up an army for his kingdom, not to help out with the whole keeping out the monsters that want to blow up the world plan, but rather to backstab the empire that is doing that in order to save money. Am I missing something? Is the main character just a complete loving moron?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

monsters aren't at their border, they don't need to care lol

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

The individual blu ray volumes got canned. Likely theyll release a complete box when its done. The same things happened to a few anime, like Granbelm. Theres no indication that it wont finish its run, though. Tv schedules are decided on well in advance and 2 in the morning on a saturday isnt exactly a premium timeslot that theyd have something to replace it with on.

I mean, there's no guarantee of a box set these days, especially when they announce that blu-rays are cancelled rather than just not doing them in the first place.

Odd Taxi only had a box set go forward once 300 preorders were confirmed, for example. If Blue Reflection Ray failed to connect with the expected core audience, it may just not be worth it.

What's more, it's a 24 episode series. Odd Taxi is an above-average value for Japanese anime DVDs with 13 episodes for 27,500 yen (246 bucks). The same ratio for Ray would cost about 450 dollars US, which is pretty hefty for a one time purchase.

Sure, if it closes strong, maybe the production committee will think the show has the momentum to sell discs even once it isn't airing, but again. It's a riskier environment.

I'm not putting money down either way, but I'm not really expecting a box set to be revealed rather than the production committee just taking the loss and moving on.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

With Blue Reflection Ray I think they may be looking at the series setting up future game sales so disc sales may not be as important.....

But who knows if that will work out so

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Everything Burrito posted:

I looked up some donghua info:

Thank you for all of this info Everything Burrito. I updated the OP with it.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, there's no guarantee of a box set these days, especially when they announce that blu-rays are cancelled rather than just not doing them in the first place.

Odd Taxi only had a box set go forward once 300 preorders were confirmed, for example. If Blue Reflection Ray failed to connect with the expected core audience, it may just not be worth it.

What's more, it's a 24 episode series. Odd Taxi is an above-average value for Japanese anime DVDs with 13 episodes for 27,500 yen (246 bucks). The same ratio for Ray would cost about 450 dollars US, which is pretty hefty for a one time purchase.

Sure, if it closes strong, maybe the production committee will think the show has the momentum to sell discs even once it isn't airing, but again. It's a riskier environment.

I'm not putting money down either way, but I'm not really expecting a box set to be revealed rather than the production committee just taking the loss and moving on.

Is there a reason why anime cost so much money in Japan?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Willo567 posted:

Because otakus will pay that much money and gotta chase those whales for the big bucks they give!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They're marketed at enthusiasts and generally treated like CE goods by default, with stuff like event tickets, game codes, or more general goodies and production/art materials. It is after all a market where selling just five digits is considered unusually good. with. Late-night anime is already only being watched by a niche audience to begin with and the people who like a given show enough to spend on it will obviously be even smaller.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 6, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Willo567 posted:

Several, as far as I can tell.

To start, it used to be that expensive stateside, too. For years, VHS tapes tended to cost 80 or 90 bucks, with Top Gun being treated as an unbelievable bargain at 27 bucks new. Paramount's low price model for that, Temple of Doom, and Beverly Hills Cop eventually became the industry standard, but it took a little time to catch on, even with their massive success. Japan didn't have the Top Gun promotion, so there wasn't a watershed switch from luxury item to simple purchase. (From what I've seen, attempts to push that switchover have generally flopped, or at least underperformed)

Japan also tends to have smaller homes, so running physical media collections has a more awkward footprint. People buy less physical media, so you need to make more on every sale.

As a consequence of those two factors, rental culture is much stronger in Japan to this day, so owning a DVD is something of a mark of passion. You get the expensive disc because you love Gundam or Love-Live or Bakemonogatari, not because it's the most convenient way to watch it again. In a way, the higher price is thought of as a bonus at that point for some fans, because it's more evidence that you really like whatever it is.

So, yeah. Those and other factors I didn't mention (or didn't remember) all come together to keep Blu Ray prices high.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Also that, yeah. The less enthusiastic will just rent, buy used, or watch on streaming. Actually owning a whole set is basically another form of merchandise especially when you factor in how many of them include what are effectively artbooks across the BD volumes or things on that level. The discs for adachi and shimamura include what collectively amounts to an entire extra entry in the novel series.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Uramichi Oniisan is real as hell and it rules.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Chainsaw man will be created at a new branch of studio MAPPA, the new branch will have an emphasis on improving the work environment.
(Use google translator for article)

Does this look like a genuine improvement?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Joshlemagne posted:

Okay I just watched the first episode of realist hero. First we get a big exposition dump about how there's a bunch of monsters that want to blow up the world or whatever and the only thing holding them back is this empire, which relies on financial aid from all the countries to sustain this defense (from the world-up-blowing monsters). Then we get a specific scene of one of the empire people being all "Our troops have good morale but it's a good thing all these other countries are giving us financial aid so we can support them, otherwise we would no longer be able to stop the monsters from blowing up the world". Then the entire second half of the episode is all about the main character trying to weasel out of paying the financial aid as though the empire was demanding it through threat of force or something. And his long-term plan is to build up an army for his kingdom, not to help out with the whole keeping out the monsters that want to blow up the world plan, but rather to backstab the empire that is doing that in order to save money. Am I missing something? Is the main character just a complete loving moron?

Ok, I double-checked the manga since I haven't watched the episode. Basically the Empire is holding back the monsters, but they're using that position to extract concessions from everyone else who's weaker than them. "Help us out, or else you're siding with the monsters and therefore we can attack you and take your stuff" is the gist of it from the Kingdom's point of view. The Empire told them "summon us a hero, or give us war funding that is equal to your country's yearly budget" so they caved and summoned up a hero, secretly hoping it wouldn't actually work so they didn't have to send some poor sucker off against his will.

Of course the MC is your super-smart "I haven't started college yet, but I know how to fix all your issues" kind of protagonist, so he steps in and says he'll figure out how to get the money so the Kingdom can pay the Empire and not ship him off. However since the Empire has already tried to put them in a no-win situation already, when he's rebuilding the Kingdom he's also trying to make the place strong enough that the Empire can't walk in and dictate terms any more.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

granbelm got a blu-ray boxset but yea youre right about ray being twice the eps.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
getter robo arc, even though the manga will never be finished

Life Lessons with Uramichi-Oniisan because what little i read of the manga was funny

resident evil infinite darkness

belle when it's subbed

and of course eva rebuild 4

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

granbelm got a blu-ray boxset but yea youre right about ray being twice the eps.

Granbelm also got regular episode releases. Sold pretty poorly, but not O Maidens poorly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

could have sworn granbelm's individual volumes got canned but maybe im thinking of something else

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm actually shocked we haven't seen North American physical releases creep up in price and try to sell it's self as a collectable (Not just anime but TV/Movies). It's part of the reason vinyl has come back after all (and no I don't buy that Vinyl sounds better than CD's)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm actually shocked we haven't seen North American physical releases creep up in price and try to sell it's self as a collectable (Not just anime but TV/Movies). It's part of the reason vinyl has come back after all (and no I don't buy that Vinyl sounds better than CD's)
TV/Movies extract a bit of money through retailer-specific extras or externals. There was a Stranger Things blu set exclusive to Target that makes it look like a VHS rental box.

I think the market for bullshit of that caliber is extremely small so trying to sell The Flash Season 8 as some kind of Working Designs-esque premium experience just makes people stream instead.

Plus the problem of having DVD, Blu and 4k to sell...