Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Wark Say posted:

Chivalry of a Failed Knight had an extremely bopping OP

That's literally all I remember about it.

Mikio Sakai should get more anime jobs these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Joshlemagne posted:

Okay I just watched the first episode of realist hero. First we get a big exposition dump about how there's a bunch of monsters that want to blow up the world or whatever and the only thing holding them back is this empire, which relies on financial aid from all the countries to sustain this defense (from the world-up-blowing monsters). Then we get a specific scene of one of the empire people being all "Our troops have good morale but it's a good thing all these other countries are giving us financial aid so we can support them, otherwise we would no longer be able to stop the monsters from blowing up the world". Then the entire second half of the episode is all about the main character trying to weasel out of paying the financial aid as though the empire was demanding it through threat of force or something. And his long-term plan is to build up an army for his kingdom, not to help out with the whole keeping out the monsters that want to blow up the world plan, but rather to backstab the empire that is doing that in order to save money. Am I missing something? Is the main character just a complete loving moron?

did you actually watch it? He doesn't want to pay, cause the payment is him. He was going to get either send to fight against the monsters and die, or to get dissected and die. He's not weaselling out of the concept of paying, he's not wanting to be the payment. To accomplish this he's going to take the badly managed country and 1. fix their domestic issues first so they can actually pay. 2. build a military so they no longer need to pay and fear an insurrection, which tend to happen in with overtaxed populations. The country had no actual way to keep up payments so after selling his life they were going to go bankrupt and probably be fully taken over by foreign forces moving in to restore order, something which was already heavily implied in the episode to be in the making

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

dogsicle posted:

definitely a less exciting season so far

Remake having a pointless double premiere that just dragged, the sort of wish fulfillment straight harem stuff isn't my usual and this isn't really laying out interesting characters that make me want to commit. at the very least the pre-timehop stuff was good. then Dead Detective as the other awful use of a double premiere, but hey it seems fitting given the show just sucks.
Are double length premieres a normal thing that I’ve just managed to avoid up to this point or is this new?
I can’t remember watching (or maybe even hearing about) a seasonal anime that had a double length premiere so it’s weird this season has two.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Are double length premieres a normal thing that I’ve just managed to avoid up to this point or is this new?
I can’t remember watching (or maybe even hearing about) a seasonal anime that had a double length premiere so it’s weird this season has two.

I've seen it before a time or two (G-Reco did it, if I remember right), but it is on the uncommon side.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

honestly haven't been heavy on seasonal watching the past couple years so it's hard to say, but they always felt like a rare thing you'd see maybe once a season

dunno if we have any more in store but two is already more than i expected basically. the S2 Euphonium premiere is the first double length to come to my mind, but there have to be some other unremarkable cases like with this season's shows that were just forgotten.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I will watch Love Live, the aquarium show, maybe Sonny Boy, maybe Jahy-sama? The Resident Evil show looks dumb as hell, might be a fun watch.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
vivy had a double-length premiere last season

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wark Say posted:

Chivalry of a Failed Knight had an extremely bopping OP.
I remember the couple kissing by episode 4 and being generally adorable, and that their dads were absolute scum.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

honestly haven't been heavy on seasonal watching the past couple years so it's hard to say, but they always felt like a rare thing you'd see maybe once a season

dunno if we have any more in store but two is already more than i expected basically. the S2 Euphonium premiere is the first double length to come to my mind, but there have to be some other unremarkable cases like with this season's shows that were just forgotten.

Rakugo s1 my man

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Rakugo s1 my man

that was like five years ago!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Surely this aired one season over from euphonium at most

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

dav's complaint about Euphonium doing it made it more memorable

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

The dead detective show was pretty bad. Decent if unremarkable visuals, but it suffers from the same excessive wordiness as a lot of other middling LN adaptations. All the talking completely drags down the pace, you could easily scrap half of the dialog without losing anything, and none of it is particularly witty or interesting.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

InspectorCarbonara posted:

they're a normal thing, there's usually a few shows per year that have it, more if you count shows airing 2 episodes on week 1 rather than cutting it into one long episode.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Davincie posted:

did you actually watch it? He doesn't want to pay, cause the payment is him. He was going to get either send to fight against the monsters and die, or to get dissected and die. He's not weaselling out of the concept of paying, he's not wanting to be the payment. To accomplish this he's going to take the badly managed country and 1. fix their domestic issues first so they can actually pay. 2. build a military so they no longer need to pay and fear an insurrection, which tend to happen in with overtaxed populations. The country had no actual way to keep up payments so after selling his life they were going to go bankrupt and probably be fully taken over by foreign forces moving in to restore order, something which was already heavily implied in the episode to be in the making

Did you actually watch it? Firstly the empire is framed as being absolutely sympathetic by the show itself, including being represented by a lady knight with a cute ribbon who's obviously an important character. The idea that they would take the hero in lieu of a significant cash payment that they need to keep their troops going but then would just murder him or whatever for no benefit is a strange and contrived leap of logic. It makes zero sense with how the show itself has presented the situation. Second, the main character explicitly says he's made the first payment exclusively to buy time and that he doesn't intend to continue making the payments. He's not building the army to stabilize the kingdom and help better support the monster war, he's doing it specifically to tell the empire to gently caress off.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

bruh if they were really that noble they wouldn't tax a nation into bankruptcy. i'll admit the empire is presented nicer then my initial impression on a rewatch though! i think the coming events will agree with me on the internal stability for the army thing though, very predictable with the machiavelli focus the anime has. the fact that it put so much emphasis on the book would make the big empire being nice also rather absurd

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If you're looking for stuff to watch this season that you missed, Akudama Drive had the bluray release with the extended final episode and that show was an absolute banger.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Isekai Quartet movie announced for 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLbi9nTA2B8

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Exia posted:

Wonder if Spider will make an appearance since it's also a Kadokawa property.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Davincie posted:

bruh if they were really that noble they wouldn't tax a nation into bankruptcy.

On the one hand we have an extinction level event from invading monsters. But on the other hand there's high taxes which is equally and in all ways just as evil, is what you're saying. I mean, I could make a pretty easy "Found the Republican" joke here.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Exia posted:

"I want my witches of Sin and wabbits in there godamnit!" - I say doing a :vince: impression

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

Girlfriend girlfriend so far has been a very accurate depiction with the poor redhead getting bullied into it against her will

This. Most accurate to life depiction I've ever seen.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Joshlemagne posted:

On the one hand we have an extinction level event from invading monsters. But on the other hand there's high taxes which is equally and in all ways just as evil, is what you're saying. I mean, I could make a pretty easy "Found the Republican" joke here.

the taxes are high on the peasantry, which is established in the episode. considering a medieval setting and the fact that there are both 1. ample jewellery to sell from the royal stash 2. strong nearly independent duchies (with their own militaries, a disaster for keeping a grip on a state), it can be presumed the rich aren't paying taxes nearly that high. its also established there is a food shortage, probably caused by the nobility requisitioning more food from the peasantry they can afford combined with an established refugee issue further eating into the available funds & food. if the nation goes bankrupt, central rule will fall and it will devolve into a combination of banditry/warlordism and neighbouring countries marching in to expand their lands. which isn't exactly a positive for the peasants either. no need to fall into c-spamisms and idiotic comparisons with modern america when you could actually look at the episode

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Davincie posted:

the taxes are high on the peasantry, which is established in the episode. considering a medieval setting and the fact that there are both 1. ample jewellery to sell from the royal stash 2. strong nearly independent duchies (with their own militaries, a disaster for keeping a grip on a state), it can be presumed the rich aren't paying taxes nearly that high. its also established there is a food shortage, probably caused by the nobility requisitioning more food from the peasantry they can afford combined with an established refugee issue further eating into the available funds & food. if the nation goes bankrupt, central rule will fall and it will devolve into a combination of banditry/warlordism and neighbouring countries marching in to expand their lands. which isn't exactly a positive for the peasants either. no need to fall into c-spamisms and idiotic comparisons with modern america when you could actually look at the episode

Not one single word of what you wrote does anything to refute the fact that that the main character's explicitly stated goal in dealing with those issues is specifically to defund the group that is preventing monsters from killing everyone.

Edit: Also kind of sick of you constantly implying I didn't watch the episode. I watched the loving episode I just didn't ignore the parts of it that make the main character out to be a short-sighted moron.

Double Edit: Now that you bring it up the whole powerful dukes with their own armies makes the whole king abdicating to a rando foreigner that's been in the kingdom all of 30 seconds even more stupid and absurd than it already was. Why the gently caress would they ever go along with that?

Joshlemagne fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 6, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ensuring the finances, stability, and military strength of the kingdom he lives in seems far-sighted enough to me. the monster conflict is very ambiguous and I wasn't just shitposting when i brought up them being insulated from the frontlines by multiple other countries. monsters seem a lower concern than the issues pressing their kingdom.

i do think they specifically highlight the dukes in the intro ep to say they will have their own thoughts on the abdication, even if it hasn't come to a head yet.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Uramichi Oniisan isn't a comedic homerun or anything but Kamiya is always at his most entertaining when he's suffering, and the cast on the show seems to have potential (albeit a bit cliche in terms of what purposes they serve) so I'll probably keep watching it for at least another 2-3 episodes

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Joshlemagne posted:

Not one single word of what you wrote does anything to refute the fact that that the main character's explicitly stated goal in dealing with those issues is specifically to defund the group that is preventing monsters from killing everyone.

Edit: Also kind of sick of you constantly implying I didn't watch the episode. I watched the loving episode I just didn't ignore the parts of it that make the main character out to be a short-sighted moron.

Double Edit: Now that you bring it up the whole powerful dukes with their own armies makes the whole king abdicating to a rando foreigner that's been in the kingdom all of 30 seconds even more stupid and absurd than it already was. Why the gently caress would they ever go along with that?

you did ignore the parts that make him out not to be a moron though. his state isn't the only one paying either, and his state wouldn't provide payments in the future anyway since he was the final hail mary. the abdication is also heavily implied to be on the queens orders in the episode

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/anime_jojo/status/1411484174423191559?s=20

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Davincie posted:

you did ignore the parts that make him out not to be a moron though. his state isn't the only one paying either, and his state wouldn't provide payments in the future anyway since he was the final hail mary. the abdication is also heavily implied to be on the queens orders in the episode

drat, sounds like that other guy didn't watch this episode!

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm actually shocked we haven't seen North American physical releases creep up in price and try to sell it's self as a collectable (Not just anime but TV/Movies). It's part of the reason vinyl has come back after all (and no I don't buy that Vinyl sounds better than CD's)

buddy, boutique movie labels have been a thing for years .

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Davincie posted:

Girlfriend girlfriend so far has been a very accurate depiction with the poor redhead getting bullied into it against her will

What is the deal with this show? Are we supposed to like the main character or think he's a piece of poo poo? Like a slice of life about a healthy-ish poly throuple would be cool, but I'm not getting that vibe.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it is time for someone to adapt a teren mikami manga and save these poor souls

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Parallax posted:

buddy, boutique movie labels have been a thing for years .

There's a difference between having a collectable option and a normal release and having the only physical release be sold a collectable. That's what I've though the Home Video market would start to move too as Streaming continues to grow but it doesn't seem to be happening (probably cause streaming feels like a mess with every company making it's own service)

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm actually shocked we haven't seen North American physical releases creep up in price and try to sell it's self as a collectable (Not just anime but TV/Movies). It's part of the reason vinyl has come back after all (and no I don't buy that Vinyl sounds better than CD's)

vinyl sounds better than CDs if they're mixed for analogue

vinyl has a warmer sound in general but if the vinyl mix is an afterthought you bought the music enthusiasts equivalent of a pog

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

SatoshiMiwa posted:

There's a difference between having a collectable option and a normal release and having the only physical release be sold a collectable. That's what I've though the Home Video market would start to move too as Streaming continues to grow but it doesn't seem to be happening (probably cause streaming feels like a mess with every company making it's own service)

boutique labels are the latter, there is no normal release of scanner cop 1&2 but you can buy a 4k remastered release for $80

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wonder if Spider will make an appearance since it's also a Kadokawa property.

Four characters from Kumo-desu are ported but it's all just different versions of Kumoko

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Four characters from Kumo-desu are ported but it's all just different versions of Kumoko

This is the correct choice.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
I enjoyed the first ep of Kageki Shoujo and it's giant, doofus protagonist.

https://i.imgur.com/4T5mEf8.mp4

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Xelkelvos posted:

D joins the cast of teachers as a cell phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Xelkelvos posted:

Oka-sensei gets ported, but gets stuck as a student and is constantly dunked on by the rest of the class.