Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

Ditching my flight to Tokyo last minute to run outside and see my friend again and declare that yes, I will be there for her as her big sister.

Not only that she gave up her chance at a movie to be Kukuru's sister!

Like not only was she ungayed she had her whole character arc sacrificed for Kukuru's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

That makes me think of Friends season seven and now I can’t stop thinking of American tv shows as actually just anime.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
the power of shipping cannot be constrained

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

the power of shipping cannot be constrained

It's actually remarkably easy if you just block the Suez canal.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

But is the Suez Canal a top or a bottom?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

But is the Suez Canal a top or a bottom?

If you're on the bottom of the Suez Canal, it's usually safe to assume that something has gone terribly wrong.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Aquatope

is boring

I'm usually a fan of shows where "nothing happens" but this here

this is a show where loving nothing happens

Like it's hard to even get that upset about the ungaying thing because the two girls don't actually have any real chemistry so it's hard to feel like there's even that much being lost. I'm not sure they literally ever even hung out on-screen outside of a work context

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

At least it's a very pretty show.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah but Precure even beat that with the visually stunning episode 29

Tropical Rouge Precure, the better anime with an Aquarium airing this cour

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

RIP PAWorks

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
finally pa works has achieved the heights of c-tier kyoani show

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the real question is why expect much from PA Works in the first place, their originals have always been inconsistent

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

appare-ranman was pretty enjoyable imo

they really want to catch that hanasaku iroha lightning in a bottle again though and it doesn't really work without a writer as sharp and funny as okada.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

the real question is why expect much from PA Works in the first place, their originals have always been inconsistent

the uma musume anime got 10x better when it stopped being by them. coincidence?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

appare-ranman was pretty enjoyable imo

however, it was coming off the heels of Fairy Gone

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Maybe I'm biased. I liked Sakura Quest.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Sakura Quest had rough spots especially in the first cour but the second cour was great and it a really good ending

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Agreed. I will say that I did not care for cour 2's OP at all, though. Hopefully Aquatope's second cour will work out decently too.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Is Sakura quest the one that turns into Scooby Doo halfway through? Like the kids get held hostage by a displaced co-op and there’s a murder mystery?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

kater posted:

Is Sakura quest the one that turns into Scooby Doo halfway through? Like the kids get held hostage by a displaced co-op and there’s a murder mystery?

No, the protagonists aren't kids and it's just about reinvigorating a dying town in the japanese countryside.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

A hostage thing technically did happen, but it wasn't a real hostage situation. I don't remember any murder mysteries.

Do you think Koharu will get a cameo in Aquatope? She did go to Okinawa at the end...

kater
Nov 16, 2010

There was a dead body in the lake maybe? I unno. It was a weird show and I had to force myself to watch the second half cuz I was losing interest.

Droyer posted:

No, the protagonists aren't kids and it's just about reinvigorating a dying town in the japanese countryside.

Them youngins all runnin about being all energetic.

I don’t hate Aquatope. I think it portrayed someone aimless after failure pretty nicely. For a single episode.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So what do you do with a show you like and a couple you pair together and it's obvious they're gay for each other, then the show tries to ungay them with a male character? Do you just drop the show then and there, or do you still watch it until the end, just being incredibly disappointed?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

So what do you do with a show you like and a couple you pair together and it's obvious they're gay for each other, then the show tries to ungay them with a male character? Do you just drop the show then and there, or do you still watch it until the end, just being incredibly disappointed?

idk it depends how much im enjoying the rest of the show and how much of the show is resting on the relationship between the two female characters, and whether or not the male character is likable at all

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my solution, watch a good show like Vanitas

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

i'm asking because in zls, i really like to pair ai and junko together even though it's not a critical part of the show due to the amount of ship tease they got in season two. then i looked at another one of the writers shows (gymnastic samurai) and it has a homophobic character in it. doesn't help that they made saki fall for a guy much older than him when she's perfect with sakura. part of me still really enjoys the show while another part of me is bothered by it.

am i overthinking things

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I've held my tongue so far but I can't bear it anymore!

It's spelled Uruguay.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm gonna be honest i am having a hard time even figuring out where the logic here pairs up beyond these two different shows produced under different circumstances sharing one writer

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

The Colonel posted:

i'm gonna be honest i am having a hard time even figuring out where the logic here pairs up beyond these two different shows produced under different circumstances sharing one writer

why would i support a show that has ship teasing between two characters while it shares a main writer with another show that has a homophobic character

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
because you don't have to care about that

frankly if all he did was write a lame character in a different show and hasn't like actively espoused weird views or anything that already keeps him from being the weirdest guy involved with a bushiroad property by default

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 27, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I will be honest, the only career anime writer I can name is Okada.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

The Colonel posted:

because you don't have to care about that

frankly if all he did was write a lame character in a different show and hasn't like actively espoused weird views or anything that already keeps him from being the weirdest guy involved with a bushiroad property by default

he's the head writer for both zls and gymnastics samurai. i'm sorry if i'm acting like a weirdo over this, i just don't know how i should feel about someone who potentially creates a harmful gay stereotype - i know people still like imaishi even with a character like leeron, so maybe i'm really overthinking this poo poo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you are heavily overthinking this

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i think with original anime you should pin stuff like that on the director unless you know enough about the writer to have reason to believe it was their decision. the director is ultimately responsible for all high-level creative decisions like what the characters are like and how the story plays out.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Droyer posted:

I've held my tongue so far but I can't bear it anymore!

It's spelled Uguu-wai.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

okay, so just for shits and giggles i decided to skim through all 11 episodes of gymnastics samurai. other than the design, the only other offensive thing with the gay character is that he grabs a guys rear end in his introduction, but other than that, he's an very minor character and when he does show up afterwards, he doesn't do crap like that again and nobody feels uncomfortable around him. so honestly while it's still a little offensive it's hardly the most homophobic thing i've seen in an anime.

sorry thread

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the acupuncturist is not a big or offensive enough part of Taisou Zamurai to warrant this

e ah I was late

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It sucks whenever (one of) the creator(s) of something you like turns out to be a shithead or worse, but you don't really have to beat yourself up for enjoying it.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

dogsicle posted:

the acupuncturist is not a big or offensive enough part of Taisou Zamurai to warrant this

e ah I was late

i just skimmed through the series, is the rear end grab the only offensive thing he does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean even beyond that if you start worrying about whether you can morally support something you like because one single person involved with it has done something mildly weird, you've got a lot more to worry about than one writer on a bushiroad anime who wrote a completely unrelated show with a gay stereotype once. viewing collaborative art through that lens gets a loooooot more complicated and personally i'd only make a major note if someone key involved with a show has notably done something like, indefensibly bad or expressed extremely weird views openly before that are relevant to how the text of the work comes off. this, is not really that kind of situation

e; lol