Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

hatsune miku made lain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Willo567 posted:

okay, so just for shits and giggles i decided to skim through all 11 episodes of gymnastics samurai. other than the design, the only other offensive thing with the gay character is that he grabs a guys rear end in his introduction, but other than that, he's an very minor character and when he does show up afterwards, he doesn't do crap like that again and nobody feels uncomfortable around him. so honestly while it's still a little offensive it's hardly the most homophobic thing i've seen in an anime.

sorry thread

You should consider you are offensive yourself with your american cultural imperialism

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

marumaru posted:

hatsune miku made lain

i dont like how quickly and instinctually the train ran on this one when the guy didn't actually say anything outwardly offensive or that he hasn't been writing for decades and he admitted later that the script was kinda stupid

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

How about a show that has obvious gayness throughout, but nothing ever happens until the epilogue, where there is a note that reads "after the law was changed, they got married"?

Kou and Rin, from New Game

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Willo567 posted:

i just skimmed through the series, is the rear end grab the only offensive thing he does

that's all I remember, though of course his design/ performance is in well-worn stereotype territory

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Ibblebibble posted:

It sucks whenever (one of) the creator(s) of something you like turns out to be a shithead or worse, but you don't really have to beat yourself up for enjoying it.

just to be clear, i don't think the writer (Shigeru Murakoshi) is a shithead based off a single character. if he were spouting right wing views and lovely opinions in the works he's written, then that's where it crosses the line

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
new game FTW.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

willo im begging you to start forming opinions based on things youve actually witnessed and your own value systems instead of getting information secondhand and then asking the thread for approval

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marumaru posted:

hatsune miku made lain
the chiaki j konaka thing was extremely funny because in japan the stage show was seen as an old guy trying too hard to be woke. like 'cancel culture' is viewed as a fairly left leaning internet generation term over there. it got criticism from an entirely separate direction.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Willo567 posted:

just to be clear, i don't think the writer (Shigeru Murakoshi) is a shithead based off a single character. if he were spouting right wing views and lovely opinions in the works he's written, then that's where it crosses the line

I'm afraid I don't really see what the issue is then.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's almost funny how like people were almost even expecting his follow up statement to be a final full meltdown or something but no it was just him saying "yeah sorry i was having a moment when i wrote that script, i wrote it like a year earlier and i wasn't allowed to rewrite it in the time between the reading and then"

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

westerners: Jesus Christ...he said that cancel culture is real. LET's loving CANCEL HIM!!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

westerners: Jesus Christ...he said that cancel culture is real. LET's loving CANCEL HIM!!!

by the time he issued an statement everyone already forgot about it lol

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm afraid I don't really see what the issue is then.

like i said i overreacted. the character in gymnastics samurai is so minor and it's such a small moment that it doesn't really ruin anything, plus i enjoy gurren lagann, and that has leeron, whom arguably acts more flamboyantly homosexual (and unlike gymnastics samurai has a few of the characters threaten him for acting gay such as kamina and viral)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You should probably not view anime or any media for that matter as a vector for validating your own progressive values.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean its fine to get turned off a series because it has too many gay jokes but like, maybe see the gay jokes for yourself first, is what im saying here. and also its not like only one writer is responsible for anime so its weird to see one guy as personally responsible. if it was a recurring bit across multiple anime the guy wrote sure sure but if its just gymnastics samurai one of the other writers or the director could have put it in or maybe one of the bigwig producers funding the show is really into old 90s gay jokes. idk. like even if the gay jokes in gymnastics samurai were worse than they are they dont have to be the end of the world, it can just be an anime with some offputting jokes and no effect outside of itself.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Looking up gymnastic samurai, the real problem with the show is that its not about samurai trying to do gymnastics, and the main character just has samurai as a nickname.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

bro you ever try to do gymnastics in a suit of armor

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what if it was about a gymnast trying to be a samurai

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Looking up gymnastic samurai, the real problem with the show is that its not about samurai trying to do gymnastics, and the main character just has samurai as a nickname.

it's ok, there's a ninja

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Endorph posted:

what if it was about a gymnast trying to be a samurai

Isekai of a samurai who died in 1412 coming back to life in modern Japan as a highschool gymnast.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
A french knight, Jean le Maingre, also known as Boucicaut, wrote about his own training regiment to keep in peak physical condition, and much of it is straightforward cardio, climbing, and working out, except he did all of it in his full suit of armor except the helmet, and indeed, one of those tasks was a bit of gymnastics every day.

You can do it!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Tamba posted:

How about a show that has obvious gayness throughout, but nothing ever happens until the epilogue, where there is a note that reads "after the law was changed, they got married"?

Kou and Rin, from New Game

its also implied in the ending chapter the volume's epilogue note just spells it out

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Wait is this a gymnastics show? That sounds dope. Bakuten was dope.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

the chiaki j konaka thing was extremely funny because in japan the stage show was seen as an old guy trying too hard to be woke. like 'cancel culture' is viewed as a fairly left leaning internet generation term over there. it got criticism from an entirely separate direction.
Cancelling a man for correctly saying Bush did 9/11. Absolutely shameful.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

kater posted:

Wait is this a gymnastics show? That sounds dope. Bakuten was dope.

the spoiler stuff is about something else, but yes Taisou Zamurai is a gymnastics show from like last year that was pretty good. it's about a single dad going for one last hurrah while everyone else is pressuring him to retire from gymnastics. so there's bits of family drama, a younger rival gymnast, the aforementioned ninja who ends up living with them, and then a bunch of other just weird stuff like their stupid talking pet bird

if you liked Bakuten which had its own issues, you'll probably enjoy it despite its own issues. mainly with very inconsistent early tone and the rival arc feeling kind of underdone

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

also the cg is definitely worse than Bakuten but they build hype for the routines quite well despite that

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Im proud of Kou Yagami and Rin Toyama IMO

I wonder whether either takes the other's last name

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

dogsicle posted:

also the cg is definitely worse than Bakuten but they build hype for the routines quite well despite that

If the South Park RPG could look as good as the show 7 years ago, there's zero excuse for anime to have bad CG anymore.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Some people on this very forum implied that any sort of disagreement with the official narrative of 9/11 was equivalent to being an anti-vaxxer!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

Some people on this very forum implied that any sort of disagreement with the official narrative of 9/11 was equivalent to being an anti-vaxxer!
Yeah D&D really sucks.

KillHour posted:

If the South Park RPG could look as good as the show 7 years ago, there's zero excuse for anime to have bad CG anymore.
I mean the excuse always is and always has been that they're overworked and not given enough time to make stuff look good.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

a video game that took like 5 years to develop and just had to look like paper cut outs doesn't seem like a very apt comparison to me

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Spiritus Nox posted:

Im proud of Kou Yagami and Rin Toyama IMO

I wonder whether either takes the other's last name

their given names?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's also a mappa show and you know how things are there

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

To the surprise of nobody, Battle Game in 5 Seconds had a bad ending to go along with the bad everything else.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

frankly, im stunned that the writer of lain and big o, is a 9/11 truther

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I liked the aliens episode of Lain

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

:gb2cspam:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

KillHour posted:

To the surprise of nobody, Battle Game in 5 Seconds had a bad ending to go along with the bad everything else.

I kinda tuned out when it turned into red vs blue forest adventure. What a lame thing to spend so much time on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Well, did not expect s2e2 of Tawawa to go that way.